Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Jsor posted:

No, there are two ball modes, it's weird. There's one that looks like is what happens when you spin by pressing down while moving, which doesn't have any frames of animation, just a white reflection dot in the upper right, but when Sonic jumps or spin dashes he looks like he's curled up and rolling.

E: Obviously, Sonic 2017 is going to bring in the rich lore of the Ken Penders era of Freedom Fighters.

You're almost certainly having framerate issues, the spin attack works the same as it did in the old games by switching between a blue sphere and a curled up Sonic which rotates 90 degrees. The rolling switches between states at a much faster rate than the jumping spin so a roll can appear to be all ball or all curl an anything less than 60 fps.

I would actually love it if 2017 really did try to involve the (current Ian Flynn) comics in some way, especially since the post-Genesis Wave universe has made strides to better match the games' aesthetic. I also wouldn't mind if it involved Boom Sonic as an alternate playstyle, if they can find a way to make it as fun as the other modes. At the very least I'm expecting to see Tails and Knuckles along with their classic counterparts, based on the resistance schtick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Macaluso posted:

I had to look that poster up and make sure the man in the suit at the top wasn't a Photoshop. Who is that guy

That's clearly Anthony from Metroid Other M.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Frankston posted:

Sonic was great until about 1995 and then it's been garbage ever since. Even 8 year old me knew that it was over when 3D Blast came out.

3D Blast on the Saturn was my first Sonic game, at least it had awesome special stages. :unsmith:

And the Rusty Ruins music reminded me of a Pure Moods album.

Next game was Sonic Jam though, which was a pretty marvelous transition.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
https://www.sonicstadium.org/2016/08/the-sonic-sunday-strips-have-been-found/

The most important cultural find since The Epic of Gilgamesh.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

beep by grandpa posted:

What is the best sonic toy? I never had any growing up.

Definitely this thing.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Groovelord Neato posted:

that wasn't an opinion.

all followers of the green eyed false prophet shall drown eternally in scrap brain zone act 3.

But what fate awaits those who follow the blue armed bandit?

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Stairmaster posted:

do you think sonic mania will be good? I don't remember the pc port guy doing that amazing a job of level design with his fan game.

This article certainly has nice things to say about Studiopolis at least. The author makes a point about how its gimmicks and features seem to be introduced in a way that seems organic and intended without overstaying their welcome.

I think Jason Griffith properly adapted to Sonic by the time Smash Bros. came out, so Unleashed was fine to me. If nothing else, at least the 4Kids cast gave us Mike Pollock's Eggman.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Amppelix posted:

What, what's wrong with Jason Griffith's Sonic? He has the exact right amount of smarminess in his voice. Roger Craig Smith is totally better, yeah, but Jason ain't bad.

To be clear, Griffith himself is definitely a decent actor; his Shadow was always on point. But something about his delivery as Sonic early on didn't really jive with me, I think it was something about the inflection on his sentences. IIRC I think 4Kids was also in charge of the localization and voice direction on games like Shadow and '06 as well, so that itself may have been an influencing factor. It might not be a coincidence that I liked Jason's delivery in games like Smash and Unleashed where 4Kids wouldn't have been involved.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
So I've been working PAX this weekend, and today I got an hour lunch which I used to try out Sonic Mania. Guys this game is really good. Like it's really loving good. I know most of you already figured as much, but for the doubters that have expressed concerns, I don't think there's anything to be afraid of. I played Studiopolis and it is really solid. The gimmicks are plentiful without overstaying their welcome, and there's even a bit of a puzzle area that by my count has at least 4 different means of getting past that the player can figure out just by some focused exploring and utilizing things like shields or switching your route. Since I finished at around 4 minutes I even got a USB gift that they were handing out at the anniversary party. I haven't checked it yet, but it's supposed to have some goodies on it.

The line went past the Fire & Ice kiosk as well, and that game also feels really nice. The control scheme is very different from a traditional Sonic game, but everything worked just as it was supposed to and I was able to move quickly and smoothly once my muscle memory properly adjusted to its gameplay. The elemental system feels intuitive and is nicely built into the level UI, and the obstacles aren't obnoxious and are basically designed to let you get past them quickly via whatever attacks your character has. All in all I'm pretty satisfied with what's to come.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
https://www.sonicstadium.org/2016/09/the-creative-director-of-sonic-boom-fire-ice-speaks-out-on-changes-over-shattered-crystal/

Interview with the creative director of Fire & Ice. He emphasizes that they tried to make this title a lot speedier than the last, and I definitely got that sense from playing the demo. I guess it could still fall apart in the late game, but after a year long delay to polish I think it'll wind up being pretty fun overall.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Kikas posted:

Whoa, there's a demo? For the 3DS?
Gotta get on this fast.

Shoulda mentioned I played it at PAX, but the last 3DS boom game did have a public demo so hopefully this one will too.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
^Actually the multi-targeting is explained, I believe near the start of the game when you encounter the giant pink Caterkillers. Can't blame anyone for missing it though, and even that didn't help me against Zavok because once I reached him I didn't realize just how many target reticules I could trigger at once so I kept attacking before it was actually maxed out. So in my case I had to watch a video to see the proper execution of the strategy I was already using.

Spergatory posted:

So, kind of an odd question: can anyone tell me exactly what was wrong with Lost World? I've never played it, but looking at videos of it, it actually seems to have a lot of neat ideas. The parkour stuff looks pretty cool and is an interesting use of Sonic's speed (using spindash to climb a sheer wall, for example). It looks like when you homing attack you have the option to hit multiple enemies or kick one enemy in a given direction, which seems like it could have a lot of neat implications. Was it just the level design? The controls? The story? Whatever it was, unlike 06 and Boom, it's really not obvious just from watching videos of the game.

Oh boy, :words: inbound!

-Lost World's biggest sin is probably that it didn't build off the boost based gameplay of its predecessors, which immediately turned some people off
-For the first time in the series it had a run button, which I pretty much just kept held down the entire time. I always thought the game would have better benefited from a walk button instead.
-Parkour felt really weird, and was tied to having the run button held down. It always felt like it took a bit too long to start up and things like wall running never seemed to have much speed so I kept feeling like I was about to fall off at any moment. Again, I think a better implementation would have been auto-parkour which could be disabled by holding down a walk button.
-In-game tutorials were horribly implemented. Literally every Sonic game prior to this had explanations scattered about the field which a player could trigger by touching and listening to the voice actor's explanation. In Lost World all the tutorials are a brief pop up on the GamePad that the player needs to notice, stop, and touch. And if you run past the area that triggered the pop up then you won't be able to read anymore unless you can turn around and walk back. This issue leads directly into the next point...
-The controls are very complex, moreso than most other Sonic games. You have two jump buttons, both of which do a double jump, except one of them is used for the homing attack if enemies are nearby. It would have been more intuitive if one always did a jump dash/homing attack and the other always did a double jump. Then you have the run button, the parkour, spindashing, kicking, multi-targeting, wisps; the control scheme is very complex and as per the previous point the game fails miserably at explaining its mechanics to the player.
-The spindash is weird for any seasoned Sonic player. Spindashes are supposed to be based on inertia, but in Lost World it's the fastest way to move around which I never even realized until I saw it in some gameplay vids.

And the crazy thing is, at the end of the day I actually enjoy Lost World. It's complex, and the parkour feels weird, but for the most part the game plays the way it's supposed to and the player just needs to know what they hell they're doing. It's flawed, and I'm confident 2017 will return to the boost gameplay, but I definitely don't think it's one of the "bad" Sonic games.

Dresh fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 16, 2016

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Shinjobi posted:

He was also the one responsible for making the "evil sonic from another universe" character kinda interesting before the mega reboot.

And now he can't even use him anymore thanks to Ken Penders.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
And Sega can't really acknowledge Chronicles anymore even if they want to because Ken Penders whined that its original characters were too similar to The Dark Legion.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Onmi posted:

Well they can, the court cases got thrown out (as does every Penders case against Sega). But why would they want to?

Because I wanna play as Shade in Sonic Riders 4

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

I prefer the DS version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrpglqYeQBc

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Paused posted:

You say that... but now that it's out there I kinda feel silly for not seeing it coming a mile off!

One only has to look at the Sonic2 Hidden Palace for example.

I doubt there will be a 'Wood Zone' from S2 as well, but I wouldn't be surprised at a shout out. Less so with what ever the hell Genocide City was, but eh? Do we have any obscure Michael Jackson references yet in reference to the whole S3 debacle? I'm positive a Tails doll will be in the game, and I'm willing to bet it'll be an achievement. Ray the Squirrel in some form too. I mean how many people really know who the hell the 3 characters on the wanted posters in the new desert level are?

Genocide City (later Cyber City before it got scrapped, which if anything is the name that would wind up being used) is what became Metropolis Act 3. The original intent was for it to be a standalone zone akin to Sky Chase and Wing Fortress.

And now that you mention Tails Doll I suddenly realize how much I want it and Metal Knuckles to show up as bosses, along with the boys on the saloon posters.

Mr Phillby posted:

I'm sure it will be Boom Sonic because of the TV show still being a thing, but I have no idea what his gameplay would be like other than just a poo poo version of modern sonic? (that describes Adventure as well as Sonic Boom BTW.)

Maybe they'll bring back the Werehog and we'll have hours of stretchy arms brawling and the first 30 seconds of that jazz theme to pad the game out.

Fire & Ice has a nice format with combo-based platforming where you can maximize air time with well placed homing attacks and tethering, they could work with that and maybe convert it to a 3D style.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

While looking at the NicoNico 25th Anniversary stream for footage to use in a secret project I discovered there's a Sonic Cafe here in Japan. I could, in theory, go and drink "Experimental Solution from Tails' Lab" and eat "Shadow's Black Curry" and obtain a Sonic Drift 2 coaster. They also announced a Sonic Fan Thanksgiving event at Joypolis on Dec 23rd, so maybe I'll go there and get Iizuka to sign a Mario ad again.

I think it is very important for you to try the cafe's chili dog and report how it compares to a standard western chili dog.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That Lego Dimension Sonic crossover thing looks a lot like Sonic 3D Blast (and it's by the same developer, even).

Someone in the retro thread posted a trip report with pictures.

And after a bit of searching I found the right page. Glad that's one mystery solved.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

beep by grandpa posted:

Hey everyone I've spent the last few days trying to find out the answer to this question and I tracked down the Sonic twitter guy on the currently running the Sonic Extra Life 24 hour stream. I poised the question to him and he kindly answered this question for us at long last.

Every chili dog in the sonic universe is a vegan chili dog :tipshat:

They're still playing Sonic Adventure 2.
https://www.twitch.tv/sonicofficial

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/794938834215518208

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqrxL_nbbDA

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
Mania's been confirmed for the Switch finally. Same trailer, no other new content yet.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

beep by grandpa posted:

on on first date with and beautiful girl an she just described her longboarding hobby to me w a sonic metaphor about momentum. .Tried to play it cool (i justRan to bathroom to post thIs;,(

On Sonic's birthday no less, I think this is a sign.

Made some chili dogs after I got home from work, as I often like to do on this day. This time I even remembered to add the olives. Linked because it's hueg

http://i.imgur.com/ltPrLXJ.jpg

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

DizzyBum posted:

Were the onion rings a deliberate choice in honor of Sonic?

Absolutely they were!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wish the Christian Whitehead ports of 1 and 2 were on something other than phones. They're so drat good but I don't want to buy a crappy overpriced controller just to properly play them.:smith:

After Mania one of my biggest hopes is a compilation release of Sonic 1 - & Knuckles (with CD) with the option to play original versions or Whitehead remasters, with Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails all playable in each of the remastered versions.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Friends, 10 more days till Mania

I started doing a Sonic 12 days of Christmas on Twitter in anticipation. Inspired by Void Burger after she said she was too lazy to do one herself.

https://twitter.com/Nixferatu_NH/status/893339990322696192

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Metal Sonic's technical specifications mention he has an engine.

So he's not animal powered.

On the other hand, there's Badnik Sonic from Sonic the Comic.

Where rather than being built with animals, Badniks were sent out to consume them to act as Organic Batteries.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Spinning Robo posted:

why you gotta play me like this amazon :negative:

Says the same for me, but I'm hoping it's just a temp date before updating people's statuses to release day delivery. Glad I didn't already take Tuesday off though in case it really does come on Thursday.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Kurieg posted:

I called up Amazon last week, basically since there is no physical game product they aren't running release day delivery for it.

Ugh, I should've preordered from a physical Gamestop location

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Keiya posted:

WElp, you convinced me, full deep lore it is. Now I just need to find the darn things. A certain individual made sure there's not a nice easy rerelease... in fact I think there's a 70-issue gap in the middle that hasn't seen any release but the original printings.

You should be able to buy all of them digitally on ComiXology if you don't mind reading them that way.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Speedy from Tails' Adventure and Fockewulf and Bearenger from Tails' Sky Patrol. Based on their comics' incarnations because gently caress else do I have to work with

I don't have the right costume parts to make a good version of the 3rd Witchcarter yet.

Do you have the clown nose to add to Fockewulf? It'd really bring it together if it doesn't mess with his snout too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Thanks. Now I can look cool like Joker.

I pretty much defaulted to the Joker outfit right up until I unlocked the pirate outfit

Now Nitro the Hedgehog can be pantsless like a real Sonic character