Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
So I guess this is the new general thread.

So far the thing I like most about the 2017 Generations game is that it makes Eggman out as a much bigger threat without the need of some cosmic monster or what have you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I've had generally positive opinions about all the Unleashed and later games (Black Knight and Boom notwithstanding). Even the werehog was fun enough for a beat-em-up. It did not belong in the same game as the day levels, though.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Jsor posted:

I loved every level except Planet Wisp. The only part I like about Planet Wisp is Act 2 before the sidescrolling section. Both acts are just too big, and I really don't like the Spike powerup because it makes the stage feel even bigger and more aimless since now every wall is also a path. I'm sure it's better once you start memorizing the fast paths, but it was the only level where I didn't even want to try to go back and find the quickest path.

Same. Planet Wisp was just a chore. Nowhere near as bad as that awful final boss, though.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Rooftop Run was sooooo good though.

Yeah, I'd love to see more Unleashed levels get that treatment. Like Cool Edge and a greatly toned down Eggmanland.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

i always liked this redesign for rouge as it takes her from garbage titty lady to the cool spy she's supposed to be

edit: also browsing their deviantart it looks like the person that did this is an official artist for the sonic boom comic now which is great

This is so much better than bat-boobs.

VEdit: That also works, but I like how manic she looks above in combat pose.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 17, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I can't confirm it's accurate but supposedly this easter egg shows up in the new Deus Ex.

It'll be the best RPG/Racing/Maze game of 2029, you just wait.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I just want them to stop over correcting after each game and really refine what worked. Unleashed through Generations seemed to be doing that quite well, but Lost World was just kind of a janky mess of half-baked ideas that could have been great with some more time. They can't really listen to the fanbase for proper feedback because, let's be honest, it's filled with pissy conflicting opinions and demands that rarely even make sense, so I can see why they faulter on these experiments.

That said, so long as the 2017 project is remotely close to Generations, I'll be happy.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

sharrrk posted:

im sincerely hoping for the plot to be as good & fun as the adventure games. its been too long

Unleashed seems like the right level of plot for this series to me.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Kulkasha posted:

This. The world of Unleashed just gelled in a way that felt coherent for the first time since the Genesis Era.
The polar opposite of this is Sonic 06, where freakish animal mutants interact with normal humans in an insane semi-fantasy world.

Yeah. The world had funny Pixar-esque humans interacting with the mutant animals instead of super serious, bland anime people. The plot didn't take itself too seriously, but did stop the jokes when needed and Sonic started to get some of his personality back. Unleashed was what got me believing the series had potential again after 06's horror.

Augus posted:

Weirdly enough, Sonic and The Black Knight pretty much has a perfect plot for a Sonic game.

The plot was the first time we got to see Sonic act like his old attitude days in a game before Colors and has a genuinely good villain in Merlina. So despite being pretty bad, I'm softer on it than most.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Planet Wisp for sure.

Thirding this. That level is an orange chore.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

El Mido posted:

PS3 version has a full set of levels in Mazuri and an extra set of levels to play in Empire City compared to the Wii version. It doesn't have the Gaia Gate puzzle rooms. It does have Sonic Adventure/Sonic 2006-ish wandering around hubs for the next cutscene as well as small tasks you can do for npcs. PS3 version has a greater focus on collecting sun and moon medals to progress versus the Wii version only locking off puzzle rooms with medals.

I did like how pretty all the hubs were and the goofy little Pixar people. I wouldn't have minded seeing something like that for Colors as well.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Sonic 2006 gave us the greatest LP of that game by Pokecapn and his posse, so for that alone I'm glad the game exists

I wish they were able to do LPs like that again; it's been way too long since the Four Swords Adventures LP

Watching that game slowly destroy souls was almost, but not quite worth its existence. At least that embarrassed Sonic Team enough to start improving and fire their writing staff.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I agree, and more importantly, the Lost World aesthetic would let them make massive 3D levels with a lot less effort than the over-detailed Unleashed Day art style, which has always been a major issue for them. They should stick to it just so they can make expansive runs.

Yeah, a simplified art style would help speed up development and fit well with the characters.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Davinci posted:

The werehog was cool and I wouldn't mind at all controlling him in the Olympic Games or something like that

I like the werehog form enough, it was a competent brawler, but I have to agree it was too jarring when compared to the speed sections. If it had been some entirely different game series, I'd have loved to see it. Werehog and Chip would be great partners for a whole series. I would honestly like to see some improved version of that kind of gameplay for a Knuckles game or something. Either way, the Egg Dragoon battle with it was a high point of the game, even if it was too easy.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 8, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

SylvainMustach posted:

Two things: just got Colors and I love it to bits. Shame the other two Wii games are supposed to be stinkers. I'll probably get lost world eventually because we've got nothing else coming to the WiiU

And the other thing:
http://www.dropdead.co/collections/guys-ddxsonic

I want a bunch of that stuff. I don't know if someone posted it already.

Unleashed Wii was okay, but had way too much werehog. The other two aren't at all good thanks to serious gimmicks.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Amppelix posted:

I don't think werehog is actually a problem there; there's about as much as in the HD version and the level design is sometimes actually better. The Sonic levels on the other hand are so underwhelmingly dimps that there's no real reason to play through the mediocre brawler that is werehog to get to them. A whole lotta running through empty space with no input required.

Good point, but the Wii-hog levels outnumber the day levels so much that it really brings out the contrast, especially since they took out the combo-system for something much simpler and reduced the hubs to static screens so you don't get extra levels to unlock or side-missions. That's not even getting into completely removing at least one boss and two worlds entirely. At least one Werehog boss fight and, arguably, the final boss was significantly improved there, but that's it. All and all, the Wii version was so inferior that I'd just stick to Colors and ignore anything else that came for that system.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

SonicRulez posted:

I just want to second the amount of angry childhood stomping I did when I realized the show was about Chris Thorndyke instead of about Sonic the drat Hedgehog. I just wanted to see him fight badniks and Egg Robos and Shadow and Sonic Heroes with Tails and Knuckles or whatever poo poo. Sonic stuff. Not playing around with a dumb kid.

Thirding it. The first episode seemed to have potential until that brat showed up and was declared the star.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Kulkasha posted:

Help my eyes are bleeding

This much concentrated 90's can do permanent damage to your retinas.

legoman727 posted:

Sonic Unleashed did this best, where the humans looked like they were out of a Pixar film and meshed well with Sonic and co.

They were also very silly and not really concerned about the plot blowing up the world, which is a bonus.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Onmi posted:

Unleashed probably had the best 'story' I've seen for Sonic, where it wasn't that serious despite being a serious 'thing'. Like yeah the worlds blown up and we gotta fix it but ya know, in a chill way.

Sonic's first reaction to learning that Eggman blew up the world, awoke a primal horror, and is now forced to painfully transform twice a day was "Sounds like a great excuse to see the world!!" That is the way he absolutely should be.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Onmi posted:

From the latest Sonic comic.

Perfect.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Paper Sonic the Hedgehog

I wish they had managed to hammer out that RPG they made into a series as fun and goofy as Paper Mario used to be. Of course, I also wish that RPG was good.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Ronnie posted:

A third play game style you say? I hope you like Billiards, wait where are you going? Don't you DARE turn your back on me!

One of 06's lesser crimes was getting psychic powers and only being creative enough to use them to play with the crappy physics engine.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

in my sonic 06 remake, the story will be resolved much quicker when silver makes eggman's head explode, scanners style

In my ideal, we'd see the canon timeline where Sonic passes through in two minutes and nothing else happens.

If we have to actually have a game, then we get this overwrought anime nonsense, but everyone has their Sonic Boom personalities and no one takes it seriously for a minute.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

Anyone ever thought about how much time Sonic spends saving and protecting tiny little woodland animals from abuse rendered by Dr. Robotnik but Sonic's favorite food are chilly dogs?

Hey, nobody said those weren't mealworm chilidogs or something.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Well what do you expect from the hedgehog version of Trunks? Tunks goes back in time, changes the future, goes forward to his own time and defeats the Androids but then gets punked by Cell. Silver won't fare any better.

Then he got two versions of an evil god about twenty years later wrecking everything worse. Trunks is time's whipping boy so his hedgehog homage must follow suit.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Still showing better priorities than the guy who's about to take the job.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Man, I loved those comics since I was just a kid. Even if they did turn into furry soap operas at times.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

TFRazorsaw posted:

the Koopalings didn't have names until the localization of SMW3. The Japanese version just decided to use them themselves with Super Mario World.

They're also not Bowser's kids anymore, so their theme naming is all their own and doesn't reflect back on Bowser at all.

So what are the Koopalings? Just some strangely high ranking minions?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Andre Banzai posted:

God I'm so relieved that Sonic Mania is coming out. If Sonic Forces was the only next Sonic game in sight... I mean, it is the Sonic Cycle happening before our eyes. But there's Sonic Mania on the horizon, so all's good.

The fan base finding reasons to whine at any detail is starting, yes.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

I didn't get 06 until I found it for 5 bucks used last year. I don't know why it's still over 20 dollars on Amazon, it should be sold for 5 cents

Hey now, that's unfair! The disk makes a perfectly good drink coaster.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

turboraton posted:

E D G E

It's amazing how much they are aware of the cheesy stuff, or they aren't and they are being genuinely cheesy? Oh Lord I don't know anymore.

At this point, I'd say they'd have to be aware of it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Spiderdrake posted:

I hope and Shadow fuse using chaos emerald earrings.

I don't think one game can contain that level of EDGE!!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

Just look at the underlined sentence:

Eggman is definitely the kind of guy who owns a fedora and says "m'lady". He's a total neckbeard \ "nice guy". He's also a utopian idealistic technocrat who probably genuinely believes he's making the world a better place, but has delusions of grandeur and is a gigantic narcissist given that he puts his own face on almost everything he makes. He's like the embodiment of Internet nerds

It's probably unintentional, but he is a LOT like Ignatius J. Reilly from A Confederacy of Dunces.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Confederacy_of_Dunces

Hey, Eggman has been equally villainous to both genders. His main kidnapping victim is always a male sidekick, anyway.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Zelder posted:

Lmao the sonic thread is about to hit a new nadir

We don't get there until fan characters are brought up. To avoid that grim fate, let's change the subject now.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Trasson posted:

So about that Sonic Forces CaC...

That is nothing but a fur covered soulless machine, as far as I'm concerned.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Mikedawson posted:

Me too, beep.

I hope there's some way to make multiple OCs. I've already got a bird in mind for the OC I want to play as, but I also want to try making a cat in a jumpsuit called Jones the Cat, an cheerful dog, some sort of 80s-themed OC, Mae Borowski, some general goof characters, and of course, my favorite OC, Hank the Chog.

I want to make an entire Freedom Fighters force to indulge in the melodrama that will fill the void the Archie Sonic comic's demise left. At least until the IDW one gets up an running.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

I've been trying to find this on my own, but come up empty-handed. Does anyone have an explanation for why the original Sonic theme from 1 & 2 never became an enduring thing? I know it has something to do with royalties that Sega doesn't want to pay for every game, but they do dip into on occasion like for Generations. Seemed weird they didn't also go for it with Mania.

I guess Green Hill Zone was just more memorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

XavierGenisi posted:

That japanese story trailer from a couple of days ago got an official english version:

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/911265857510154240

I do like that it's all Eggman again. Sure, Infinite is almost certain to usurp him as the boss, but it was something he made rather than found.