Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Stink Terios posted:

So placeholdery Tomoya Ohtani confirmed it was his on Twitter.
Which is baffling, since he's usually pretty good.

Seriously? That's crazy. Ohtani did great work on Lost World and Runners, and then turns around and makes this which sounds nothing like he's done before at all.

I can only guess he was told to make something that sounded "retro" for Green Hill and went in the Jun-Senoe-Sonic-4 Route and completely missed the point. Which...is still weird, since Ohtani already did the 8-bit stuff for Sonic colors and those were mostly fine too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Considering this game was delayed for so long to make sure it's a good Sonic game, so far I am not impressed one bit.

I don't normally buy into conspiracy theory stuff, but I find it extremely hard to believe from what we've seen that this is a game that's been worked on consistently for 4 years. They said they started production right after Lost World, but things seemed to have been taken right out of Generations almost lazily. The effects and animations don't look very good, and nothing really stands out as special. All the mainline games in the past 10 years have taken 2 years to develop and each definitely looked a lot better in their initial showing (Generations took 3 years tho).

If I were betting money I'd put some down on them scrapping ideas after Lost World's tepid response, and then trying to scrounge together something like Generations since that's mostly what people talk about liking these days.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I know people often forget this, but in the old Sonic games, you're not in "gotta go fast" mode all the time and there's actually platforming and stuff. Going fast is basically a reward for playing the level right.

No one is forgetting the old games, tons of people keep complaining about this all the time.

"reward for playing the level right" is pretty much the exact same thing as "know the level in advance". There are tons of speed traps in the old games (especially CD), and you sure as hell won't be going fast in say Spring Yard or Hill Top or Launch base unless you play those levels a lot.

Advance 2 and the Rush games may have branched out in execution through different mechanics and level designs, but they largely kept the same core philosophy. You can dislike that execution sure, but let's not make any mistakes about what the original games themselves were on that broad scale.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Is the game confirmed for 60 fps on all consoles? I just assumed it would be 30 on consoles and 60 on PC (and maybe PS4 pro) like several games have been lately.

Schwarzwald posted:

Keep in mind that there's a lot to production that isn't actually programming the game, so the game could absolutely have been "in production" for years and it wouldn't necessarily tell us anything.

But that's what I meant in the other part I said. It's extremely weird that they seemed to double down on doing something fresh for Lost World, then take a long time to step right back into another Generations (that looks worse). Typically dev cycles involve starting up the next project during the end of the previous project, so if they really did decide at the last minute of Lost World to go back to Classic+Modern Sonic how did it take so long when this looks worse/low effort?

I mean maybe later on the game gets crazy and different, and there's another character or some such so we don't know everything. It's just weird for them to say "Yeah we spent a lot of time on this!" and then show footage and things that look the exact opposite of that.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
The soundtrack tried it's best to make up for the lack of Hideki Naganuma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwJNGzzMU_Y

The soundtrack is itself still really solid with some good stuff in it, even if they didn't get Naganuma back.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I think you mean Robotnik

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I never liked Sonic 3's sprite change. The smaller pupils are sorta the big thing, but in 1&2&CD he looked more like a cute cartoon character which I preferred over the attempt to make him look "cooler" (even though past that Sonic would just continue on to always try to be cooler anyways).

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Roobanguy posted:

what the heck?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

TFRazorsaw posted:

He likes the name Eggman.

Proof

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvERHiTfx9w

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

To bring it back around to the thread's topic, here's his track from the official Sonic CD remix album from like 1993 or something

Apparently that's not Takenobu Mitsuyoshi (the Daytona guy), per this translation.

That said, that album is cool and I only found out about it recently by complete accident. It's good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UoBHJQgEFc

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I'm okay if there are some old zones in there. Just....please no more green hill

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Tbh the gameplay is looking a lot like colors, I hope most of the game won't be like that

Motto posted:

though I'll definitely be annoyed if Forces has less zones than Gens.

Generations already had 9 zones which is already on the high end for Sonic games, with only a couple having more than that. And considering that the levels for these kinds of games are much bigger than those other games (S3&K, SA1, SA2), I doubt you're gonna see more than 9.

To reiterate what I said before, considering everything we know + seen, it's extremely unlikely the game was actively in full development for 4 years like what they said earlier.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

A Sonic themed cafe opened up recently in Japan (similar to the recent kirby one, pokemon etc). It has the usual stuff you'd expect from some sonic themed eats but uh, there's also Shadow the Hedgehog Cheese.

Does it have a cool soundtrack like the Kirby Cafe did?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Dabir posted:

The boss fights were great, I love how off the wall they are. The one where you have to run on the conveyor belt to wear down the floor under Robotnik is brilliant.

TBH that boss has always been boring to me

I liked the boss with the bubbles...kinda?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

DizzyBum posted:

"Hey guys, what if we made a Sonic game where Sonic was really slow???"

But older sonic fans keep telling me sonic isn't about speed!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

sonic 2's special stages are better when you can see what's coming, for example in sonic rush

Other games that have the half-pipe special stage design are usually pretty solid, so yeah this is probably the case. Sonic 2 imo has the best overall design of the genesis era special stages, but the game itself just executed it poorly so it's hard to see it clearly.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Rorac posted:

Never really got the whole rote memorization problem of Sonic 2's special stages, I always liked them :shrug: I mean, pretty much ALL of those stages in all of the games required memorization.

Usually for most Sonic games, you can do all the special stages except for maybe the last 1 or 2 without memorization. The thing for Sonic 2 is that it gets pretty difficult pretty fast. You don't need to exactly memorize layouts, but starting at just the 2nd special stage is often where I've seen many a casual player get run over by the difficulty.

Not sure what point you're making with Labyrinth zone difficulty. Sonic 1 is pretty wonky as is with difficulty since Marble zone is probably the 2nd hardest zone yet it's Zone 2. As for that section you said, I never really felt I had to memorize Labyrinth zone myself so idk.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

I'm not telling you what you find difficult. I can only speak for what me + my friends who I watched + whatever general LPs/streams I watch when people struggle with Sonic 1. And looking at the maps a little, but still.

Marble zone's jumps over lava and lower level ceiling spike traps generally hit a lot of people near the end of Act 1, and keeps adding more and more in the other acts. In comparison, Spring yard doesn't have many traps outside of the bottomless pit at the end of Act 3. Labyrinth zone is slow but usually fine; it does have spikes everywhere but in practice the intentionally slow pace makes most of it a non-issue. Star light zone doesn't have much teeth until Act 3 when there's a lot more orbinauts, and that's disregarding Star Light zone mostly being a fast and fun zone anyways.

If you have trouble dealing with the water physics, then I could see you having issue with Labyrinth over other zones. The hardest section imo is always gonna be Scrap brain Act 3 which gave me a lot of trouble when I was younger due to the long water section.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Yeah there's nothing wrong with two videogames sharing the same name. Especially for a Sonic game.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Paused posted:

This seems to be better than the speedrun.com run by a considerable margin. No idea why its not up there.

It's #2 on the leaderboards

Remember, as the discussion up there found out, the 2011 version is not the same as the original version.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Do people really not like Aquatic Ruin? I understand why people wouldn't like Labyrinth zone and Tidal Tempest and prefer Hydrocity, but Aquatic Ruin has a good mix of water/not water and I feel like it gets overlooked as a water zone.

Paul.Power posted:

I dunno. There's definitely potential to give games reasonable stories that fit within the whole Sonic thing, even if it's the usual huge balancing act. Maybe Sonic Forces will pull that off?

I dunno, I feel like that might be difficult to do well given they already have to deal with doing time travel again to bring in classic sonic again. It worked for Generations because that game was very loose and didn't have a serious story. If Forces did have a serious story, it'd have to take those elements again and do them seriously, and I don't have much faith in Sonic team doing time travel stories right.

Spiderdrake posted:

Level design does look a little busy, so I guess that could get really bad?

Yeah, lots of sections in Mirage Saloon and Studiopolis seem to have CD levels of clutter but with 3&K sized levels.

Though from the footage presented so far, none of the stage gimmicks or paths seem to the same type of trappings as CD levels did. Which makes me think that Mania might not end us as frustrating as CD could be, so maybe it will be okay? An early section of Studiopolis act 1 had a wonky section of circle star plates/bumpers/springs/whatever they really are that seemed like it could be annoying but it wasn't present much in the rest of the act.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Spiderdrake posted:

Does anyone else really hate the water bits in Carnival Night? I don't understand why it's there, the level is already drowning in gimmicks. I feel like someone got really excited about air bubbles in balloons and just forced it in.

For Carnival Night itself, yeah, but I like some of the other stages that have small water bits even though they aren't full water levels. Like Icecap, Leaf Forest and a bunch of Rush Adventure stages.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Schwarzwald posted:

If I had to guess, I'd say they made a point of having a lot of water in Sonic 3 because they let Tails swim, and they wanted to opportunities for the players to see that. Since Tails isn't playable in default & Knuckles, they didn't feel the need to have any more water than they already did.

Flying Battery being intended for Sonic 3 kinda messes this up tho

Adding water for emphasis on Bubble shield is my guess

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Lost World had some really great music, please don't lump that game in with Boom:RoL

Evil Eagle posted:

The levels have no character? What does that even mean?

It means there are hardly any characters in the stages, duh. You only see Amy and Non-Hologram Metal Sonic in 2 zones!

edit: I guess Amy is in Palmtree Panic as well, forgot

Screaming Idiot posted:

Was there any good music in Sonic Boom, or was that just as bad as literally everything else about that franchise?

Nah, I'd describe it as "generically orchestrated". No real interesting instrumentation other than a normal string line, some horns and a little trumpet sometimes. And none of them have strong melodies to speak of. Almost the entire soundtrack is like this with little variation. It's pretty boring.

Only 2 songs I really think are any good that I thought would be worth sharing, and everything else is downhill from here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDOuIZ4kqHo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CZvp81UwBM

Ventana fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 5, 2017

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I liked Secret Rings a lot more than anything in Black Knight. Black Knight is just chock full of weird systems and design decisions, and that's saying something cause Secret Rings was already weird as hell.

Black Knight did have some cool songs though. Another track I always liked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5SszNC9YGM

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Augus posted:

Black Knight has a pretty good tone for a Sonic game

Is this including the bit where Knuckles tries to kill himself and Merlina being a nihilistic JRPG villain?

Because if so I agree.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Looking it up for ~30 seconds, there aren't many statements about amount of zones that I could find. I could only seem to find this reddit post which speculates 15 zones. It's based off of the silhouettes that we saw early on of certain bosses + Iizuka saying the game will mostly be Classic levels. Sounds like a decent guess to me.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

This one

Onmi posted:

I will also say that your positive memories of the comics in those early issues (especially the mini-series) are most likely nostalgia. They don't hold up. A few years ago /co/ did a "Sonic Marathon" where they storytimed the whole series from issue 1 to the then latest issue

Not that I don't agree with this point, but trusting the opinions of /co/? Idk

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Onmi posted:

I don't see how you can misconstrue "Every page of every issue posted" when it comes to judging something. Besides, Ian and Jon Gray dropped by, it was fun, even got a shout out in Sonic Universe.

Not sure what you're talking about with miscontruing anything, just taking a jab at 4chan. In my experience, /co/ has sometimes been okay, but most of the time it's about the same as the mildest parts of 4chan. Pretty nice though to hear those guys stop by though; always fun when Comic writers/artists reach out to communities.

Gammatron 64 posted:

If it isn't loaded with game breaking bugs, it isn't a Sonic game bro

Imagine if Bethesda made a Sonic game

Sounds like Sonic 06 to me.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Viewtiful Jew posted:

For some reason the game looks worse than the first Sonic Runners, I guess in part to the fact they scrapped the shading style they used the first time around.

Maybe the game's not done yet and they'll add it in later?

There's a lot of things that just make it visually quite lazy compared to the first runners, but yeah the lack of thick outlines stands out the most since it was fairly prominent before. The UI is also quite a bit more lazily done.

Looking it up, apparently it was made by Gameloft instead of Sonic Team, and it suddenly makes sense to me. With the game looking as it is, and Gameloft's track record (never been a fan of their games), ehhhhh I think I'll wait on this game or just pass it up.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Friendly Factory posted:

edit: lol and then he goes on a rant about how Egoraptor apparently ruined everyone's perception of Sonic and that he needs to get good to understand what his feeble little mind can't.

Don't know about the egoraptor part, but I do actually agree that there is a good amount of "git gud" that applies to a bunch of Sonic games to get the best experience. Unleashed and Lost World in particular imo.

Friendly Factory posted:

This is a small part of the worst part of Lost World: that the game does a piss poor job of explaining its own mechanics.

Funnily enough, the 3DS version of Lost world actually explains almost all of it's mechanics properly alongside early level design trying to get you used to the ropes. It's pretty smart in a lot of unexpected ways.

Kurieg posted:

Unleashed was the beginning of modern sonic gameplay with a middlingly okay God of War clone stapled to it. But seeing as how I am some kind of hideous mutant who played the Dante's Inferno game I probably regard Unleashed more fondly than most people.

The Wii/PS2 version had issues, though.

Nah, you're right that the Werehog was pretty okay. The combat was fine enough once you got enough finishers to start playing around, and the platforming sucks until you realize you can skip most of it with clever movement or holding down the grab button.

Wii version...yeah there's really not much worthwhile in it. The Night levels aren't really better or shorter, the Day levels don't compare, and there isn't any side quests or missions to go back to. The final boss is a lot less frustrating tho

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Shadow Hog posted:

I haven't really played Lost World since beating it over the course of a month after its Wii U launch, so some of this is probably inaccurate, but I recall it controlling like rear end.

Like, theoretically it gives you more control over Sonic at all times, but what I recall was the walking speed is ridiculously slow and the run speed being roughly what you'd want, with no in-between, except the running speed also has virtually no weight to it (like, you can turn on a dime at full tilt, which makes it very easy to overcorrect - a problem 3D Sonic games have had a lot since Heroes, thinking about it), with the exception of when you're in the air (where suddenly you can't really turn at all, excepting maybe the double jump - I forget if that lets you change directions - which led to me jumping directly into pits a lot in the 2D segments). Anyway, walking speed is so ridiculously pathetic that you're encouraged to just hold down the run button at all times like you're playing a Mario game, though the run button is also your parkour button so you're running up things you don't want to run up (which is generally just a minor nuisance in the grand scheme of things, but I thought it bore mentioning anyway - I forget if it actually killed me at any point, though I do think it screwed me out of a Red Ring here or there).

Well, the thing is you didn't really bring up an real issue per say. This mostly just sounds like you didn't like the game's A. slower paced run speed and B. the existance of the run-button itself. As Friendly Factory said*, the game tried to experiment which is why it tried a different approach (slower run speeds, better + faster platforming/parkour actions), and that's not necessarily bad as long as the slower speed is accommodated for in the level design, which it is. And again, as Evil Eagle said, if you want to try and go fast in lost world you need to use the spindash to go everywhere.

That said, the game still always felt like Sonic and not Mario as far as the controls are concerned. Spindash used for top speeds, timed homing attacks and generally fast platforming all make it closer to Sonic than Mario. What is like Mario is more so the level design and larger reliance on giant gimmicks (more of a 3D mario thing), but that's a separate thing.

The accidental-parkour issue is one that comes up a couple of times, but on the Wii version it really isn't a big deal like you said. Movement without run button isn't really as slow as you make it out to be (since usually you're trying to be careful in those situations anyways?), and double jumping indeed gave you a little more control when jumping which was very handy.

As I kinda alluded to in an earlier post, Lost World imo is probably in the "git gud" category of games. It does offer different but smooth options that feel really fluid and fast when you get it right, but you need to get into it's pacing and mechanics which can take a while. I didn't really get into it till my 2nd playthrough I think, and that was after I had similar frustrations to you after my first playthrough.

*At least, what I think he was getting at? I can't really tell, idk

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I'm not saying the run-button was like a great idea, but...it didn't interfere with anything? I mean gently caress, Botw has a run button where the base position actually interferes with several actions you could take from running (and switching the run button to an adjacent position doesn't help). Lost World's is on the back triggers which gives you full access to the other normal actions. They probably thought putting it on a button would've made people try to be more careful in controlling speeds; while you can still do that with sticks, it certainly makes sense to me why button would be a more ideal way to examine that.

I think walk toggle would be awkward, but idk, I haven't liked Walk toggle in any game I've tried it in so far.

Lost World definitely had problems. The run button itself really wasn't one of them.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

King Vidiot posted:

Something I'm wondering is, how many games post-Sonic 3 & Knuckles have the original Sonic Team actually worked on? As in, most of the original guys from Sonic Team and not just a team calling themselves "Sonic Team".

I'm looking through Wikipedia and there's a bit of shuffling around of roles from Sonic game to Sonic game (as there is in any game development team). It's hard to really pin the blame on any one person, and a lot of the same names keep popping up. I'm just wondering why Mario has had so many successful spinoffs and Sonic has... the 2D games and then Generations and Colors. Maybe the Gameboy Advance games because some people seemed to like those for some reason, and I guess the Sonic All-Stars Racing Series if you can really count that.

Uh, it's weird that you count Mario spinoffs but have trouble with the All-Star series. Most of the Mario spinoffs (if you're looking at the Sports games, Party games or RPGs) are done by different studios than the ones who make the platformers.

And what's your standard of "successful"? Because a bunch of Sonic games sell very well. Less than mainline Mario games, but still good numbers. I hope you're not conflating opinions with successful.

As for your main point, in general it's pretty common for a lot of studios to switch devs around in these big franchises. The case is probably how it looks from the outside when you look at Heroes, Shadow and 06: the team really struggled once they shifted development away from a primary console, and the team lost a lot of focus on how to make a 3D sonic until Unleashed. And then they decided (for some reason) to throw out those books and reinvent something new in Lost World.

Mario really only had the 1 transition with 64, and the other main games have been a natural progression from that. Sonic had 1 transition that collapsed in on itself (Adventure to 06), tried to reinvent itself in different ways (Rush, Secret Rings->Unleashed) and kept that course for a bit, then reinvented itself 2 more times after that (Lost World, Boom). It kinda really looks like it's as simple as "we didn't know what to do with 3D sonic".

As for spinoff quality, I mean idk, Mario Kart sucks and All Stars Racing Transformed is way better :shrug:

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

King Vidiot posted:

We're really overdue for a new installment and I don't know if we're going to get one.

The games themselves sold fine and generally got a good reception. The developers though, Sumo Digital, are likely just caught up in other games. They recently finished Snake Pass and are currently slated as the devs on Crackdown 3, so maybe not soon. But I don't see why they can't make another one in the future.

Barudak posted:

Outside of extremely short no obstacle flying portions of MK8, the transformations in MK8 dont actually impact how the game controls or plays at all, which is unambiguously the better choice over what Racing Transformed chose.

The transformations in Transformed are precisely why I enjoyed it over normal Mario Karts. It's not good for casuals, but then again Transformed in general was never trying hard for casuals like MK does.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

quote:

Look, exploration is cool and it certainly has it’s time and place in Sonic games but you can’t make an entire Sonic game based on exploration.

B-b-but! Sonic CD!

Seriously though, that's a good write up and I think the guy covers his points well about breaking down 3D sonic. I do think his point about Sonic Adventure Generations is weird though, since most of that game's level design is perfectly analogous to Unleashed/Generations, even Mystic Ruins.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

ColdPie posted:

Is the Sonic Boom TV show as good as these clips make it seem? Cause I might have to hunt that down if so.

The episodes do have a bunch of little moments like the clips show, but for the most part it's pretty boring. The clips are pretty much the only thing you'd need to see, so you might as well just stick to that.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Evil Eagle posted:

I got my official Sonic fan card today. You aren't a true fan without one.

Gotta do those missions tho

I don't think I remember any of the missions actually being good, but it's been a while

get yourself a sonic cd card pattern, bro

VVVVV Just hold forward and jump at the red/white tip of the ramps

Ventana fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 28, 2017

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Shadow Hog posted:

Honestly, I unironically enjoy almost every Sonic game up to Adventure, with my opinions being spottier for entries after that one (Adventure 2 is great, but Shuffle is an incredibly tedious and unfun time, for instance).

Yes, that means I unironically enjoy games that have mixed opinions or (frankly deserved) negative reputations like Sonic 3D Blast: Flickies' Island (particularly the Saturn and PC versions), Sonic R, Knuckles' Chaotix, Sonic's Schoolhouse and so on. Even Labyrinth doesn't faze me that much (...somehow...). Haven't played Blast though, and the Fighters is just kinda eh (great aesthetics, but Sega's fighting games never did it for me as much as Capcom's, and even then I'm not that into the genre as a whole).

Okay but what about Sonic Drift 1/2

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Kuroyama posted:

I think the exclamation point pops up in the single player mode too. I never had too much trouble with the treasure hunting levels in SA2. What's the reason for the hate?

The honest, simple answer is that they are long deviations of the normal Sonic gameplay.

Playing as other characters in 2D games doesn't mean much because they still mostly control as Sonic does. Sometimes there will be an exclusive route, or a specific strat for speedrunning things, but by in large it's still the same base game.

If you look at the deviations in a normal mario game (meaning the completely different stuff like the Spring mario powerups or random gimmicks like Manta ray surfing), they usually are just a couple of levels. Minor speed bumps when the other 90% of the game sticks to the main mechanics you'd expect from Mario. Most everything else that varies the gameplay is just an extension of Mario's abilities (even Yoshi is basically just this).

For Sonic Adventure 2, the Non-Sonic speed-platformer gameplay is 2/3rds the game + isn't much like playing Sonic at all. 10 Speed stages, 9 mech stages, 9 treasure hunt stages. For the people who think of Sonic only in terms of the genesis games, this can get really frustrating.

There aren't many games that really handle this split "main gameplay that's 2 completely different games" idea well, especially not FOR that reason. There are a bunch of titles that come close, but they usually end up with people going "Why couldn't they have just made a full-game out of this half instead?". A lot of titles end up incorporating parts of other genres in them (driving in open world games, or like Rail Shooting in Kingdom hearts), but they are either 1. partially mixed in enough to the main gameplay so even bad mixes are hidden away by the meat of the game (driving isn't ever really good in open world games, it's only tolerable) or 2. they are limited splits (see Mario, Kingdom hearts).

If they felt closer to the main Sonic gameplay, maybe they'd have a better reception. Or if they had maybe half the levels they did, other people might be more forgiving.

There are quite a few good ideas in the Non-Sonic gameplay. Most SA2 treasure hunt stages have a nice central design that allows for quick traversal which is smart, and the Mech gameplay challenge being a continuous test of how long you can keep a lock-on chain going works well. But even at best, these designs feel second-hand from the base gameplay of the Speed stages.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Discendo Vox posted:

Thread poll:

What is the worst act(not just zone) in:

Bonus points for reasoning, as always.

In writing these reasons, I think my general philosphy is looking at the general stage gimmicks and asking, "What is the general idea and pace of the stage? And are these ideas executed in a fun way?"

Sonic 1 - Spring Yard Act 3. I'm mostly okay with all the Sonic 1 acts, but the ending of Spring Yard Act 3 with the bottomless pit is a bit too much of a dick move imo.

Sonic 2 - Hill Top Act 2. The ending section with the multiple vine lifts is up there for least creative/fun gimmick sections in the game + it's hill top so it's probably the least interesting zone in general for Sonic 2

Sonic 3 - Marble Garden Act 2. Marble Garden's gimmick ideas just aren't very fun, are very long, and Act 2 has more sections of the statue faces which makes it even more boring.

(&K) - Sandopolis Act 1, pretty much the same reason Beep said; the Act really needs to be cut in half

Sonic CD - Stardust Speedway Act 2. The pipeline sections are completely dreadful, even more so than Wacky Workbench's general gimmicks.

Sonic Triple Trouble - Meta Jungle Act 1. The layout isn't very interesting and this act has a bunch of the glass bumpers from Collision Chaos which I never liked. I do want to point out though that Act 2 is actually pretty neat with having more gimmicks/less time with the glass bumpers; it's just Act 1 that's a disappointment.

Sonic Generations - Planet Wisp Modern. Aiming the rocket wisp was already pretty unfun in colors. Now it's an even longer and more dedicated segment in Generations. Easily the most disappointing section in the game imo.

Sonic Adventure 1:

Sonic stage - Sky Deck. The stage has a bunch of cool and interesting ideas, but even for SA1 they are very awkwardly handled. In particular would be the extended platforming segment when you're jumping between ladders and parts of the tilted ship, where the controls aren't consistent and the camera is more difficult than normal.

Tails stage - Ice Cap. The snowboarding section is alright by itself, but it doesn't really lend itself well to the race format of the Tails stages. Since that stage is a bit weird, I'll list Wind Valley; Windy valley's long runways are pretty jank, and the level gets a lot more fun when you completely skip them which is a bad sign imo.

Knuckles stage - Sky Deck. The mechanic of manually switching the positioning of the ship is a cool idea executed poorly. Or at least, the level isn't that much more fun because of it, it just makes it more frustrating than anything else.

Amy stage - Final Egg. It's not really a bad stage, but when you look back on it, it's just pretty bare. The segment where you wait for the elevator and the bit with the 5 doors are cool, but the other Amy stages had more things in them.

Big stage - Icecap. The extended portions of the level are actually pretty cool to see, but there is literally no reason to explore because froggy is right there in front of you.

Gamma - Emerald Coast. Level is incredibly short and featureless, which generally the other gamma stages at least have something in them.

Sonic Adventure 2:

Sonic stage - Crazy Gadget. Purely just because of the music. I actually like the stage (and the other Sonic stages). In choosing between which one I was least fond of, I chose the one with the least memorable music.

Tails Stage - Eternal Engine. Dealing with the artificial chaos sucks hard with Mechs. The gravity suction portions are a cool idea, but also kinda frustrating. Most importantly, the ending segment is awkward and dumb imo, though it is good for racking up a high score for A ranks.

Knuckles Stage - Death Chamber. I like the ideas of the stage really, but in choosing a least favorite stage I'm going with the one with the most annoying layout for movement.

Shadow stage - Sky rail. The normal route for the stage is boring to me cause I've never been a fan of most grinding levels (Final rush and Unleashed side acts aside). The stage is quite a bit more fun when you take the speedrunning route, but then again that shows you how unfun the base stages gimmick is.

Eggman stage - Weapons Bed. Worst music of his stages, and no real strong gimmicks here. Only big idea is the unactivated robot squads to build points off of, but that's pretty lame as the only gimmick.

Rouge stage - Egg Quarters. Never been a fan of the circular layout, where as I generally like the other stage layouts. Though the gimmick of the beetle robot guard was really cool.

Sonic 2006 (not counting sidequests):

Sonic stage - Aquatic Base. Level is super long and the gimmicks in particular are annoying even for that game. S ranking that level is also very strange, since unless you use gems/speedrunning level abuses you aren't going to normally get a high enough time bonus; you pretty much have to fight all the enemies along the path, which is very strange even for that game.

Shadow Stage - Dusty Desert. The hover bike section sucks obviously, but unlike Kingdom Valley the rest of the stage is also an annoying pain. The sandwave platforming section is a neat idea but incredibly awkwardly executed thanks to bad spike ball physics.

Silver stage - Tropical Jungle. The level isn't a pain as Rouge/Knuckles. The level is a big pain for silver though if you play normally, and it's easy to get lost. And using psychokinesis on the lily pads to bounce up is pretty silly, even for psychic powers.

You didn't include Heroes or Shadow, but I'll include them anyways:

Team Sonic/Dark/Rose - Power Plant. Among the many Heroes levels that are too long and wear out their welcome, Power Plant offers the least amount of fun gimmicks. The section at the end where you run away from the lava is cool, but it doesn't make up for the boring and jank elevator sections.

Team Chaotix - Grand Metropolis. Levels with defeating all the enemies is a pain to do casually, and unlike Shadow it doesn't have (mostly) sensible locations or easy warps for fast navigation.

Shadow the Hedgehog - Mad Matrix. Specifically because of the Dark mission. gently caress that mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Shadowlyger posted:

Jesus, gently caress that mission. I did it precisely once and it was like forty minutes of trying to figure out how to hit that one last goddamn bomb.

I think the highest time bonus lasts up until 15 minutes for that mission. It's completely ridiculous.

Discendo Vox posted:

Sonic Triple Trouble: Meta Junglira Act 2, a close call with Robotnik Winter Zone. Both have occasionally unfair pits and hazards, but I really dislike the heavy use of the popping bubbles mechanic here.

See, Robotnik Winter zone should get free cool points because it has the coolest name for a zone. Music ain't half bad either.