Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
"Enjoy your future, it's gonna be great."

Also Sonic Mania opens up an obvious Time Paradox, as Tails is a playable character in it yet in Sonic Generations he does not appear to be familiar with Green Hill Zone at all. :goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Sonic has always been about preventing Eggman's dream of a roboticized dystopian future anyway

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

So the best representation Penders could get of a dude merging with all the alternate realities of himself is to make him buff with awful body proportions?

Ok.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Rooftop Run was sooooo good though.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I remember hating the hell out of Labyrinth Zone and Marble Zone.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

There are people out there who dislike Crush 40.

The poor sods

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I remember when Project Needlemouse was first revealed as Sonic 4 and everyone was all 'holy poo poo Sonic is BACK you guys'

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I don't think rain in your eyeballs works that way.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Art in its purest form

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Mark down March 16; it's the date we get more Sonic Mania and Sonic 2017 info.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Please please please give Pollock plenty of chances to ham it up as dictator of the world.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Well Unleashed started with Eggbotnik blowing up the world and actually beating Super Sonic so

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

I want edgy sonic if it's adorable 2000s edgy. How can you not enjoy Shadow the Hedgehog's intro?

Anyway who cares, if it's Generations 2 and they do a little more to improve the mechanics and make it longer and the soundtrack owns what more do toy want?

The bar is set pretty low for bosses too. Have there even been any mechanically good 3D era bosses?

The Egg Dragoon in Unleashed.

Which probably doesn't count because that was actually a Werehog boss.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's mostly remixes of levels from other games as it turns out.

Does anyone really care if they call it Green Hill Zone when 85% of the level is going to be new?

I hope they get good music remixes though.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Overbite posted:

He was Robotnik in the Genesis games, the only ones that matter, so his name is Robotnik.

Actually you can clearly see his Fortress is stencilled with the words Eggman in Sonic 2 and furthermore

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Robotnik is the name you give an evil scientist while Eggman is the name you give a cartoon villain. I think the preference on name kinda comes down to whatever you think of him as.

I'm not sure why there's a distinction. He's a cartoon evil scientist villain through and through.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The reason why I am excited for Sonic Forces being post-apoc Eggman-has-won is that we get to see a lot more of him hamming it up.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

More Sonic Forces info:

quote:

A new interview with Takashi Iizuka was included in the latest issue of Famitsu, along with info on Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces. What we’ve learned is below, most of which translated by various people, including SourceGaming and Woun. Nothing about Sonic Mania was of much note:

-The third character in Forces will be an “unexpected character”. Sonic Boom Sonic is NOT in the game. However, the third character “plays an important role in the story, and embodies the overall features of the game”.
-There is a circular ring of white stars above a Mirage Saloon screenshot in Sonic Mania, suggesting the return of Sonic 3’s bonus stages.
-“The boost system from Sonic Unleashed is present, as well as stages based on reaching the goal and clearing them a certain time limit also seem to be present.”
-“Classic Sonic stages are based on side scrolling 2D action.” Apparently, they will also have a twist.
-Sonic Forces will be at E3 this year.
-Sonic Forces’ story summary from the magazine: “Dr. Eggman took over 99% of the world. Sonic and the “Resistance” members are fighting. Then another Sonic appears…” It then talks about Classic Sonic appearing, Classic and Modern being two different style, and then there being a third one.
-Morio Kishimoto is the director of Sonic Forces. He designed Secret Rings, Black Knight, and Sonic Colors. He also directed Sonic Lost World.
-Sonic Forces has been in development since 2013, and started around Sonic Lost World’s release.
-“Forces was chosen as a subtitle from it meaning “power” and “army”. Two strong forces (Sonic and co vs. Eggman) are facing off in the game.”
-“This time, Sonic is fighting an Eggman who has nearly taken over the world.”
-2017, with the release of Sonic Forces and Sonic Mania, is a “continuation” of Sonic’s 25th anniversary.
-The game won’t be all dark and gloomy. There are some lighter stages in Forces.

And some Mania info:

quote:

Sonic Mania’s development began in 2015. Sonic Team wanted to do a new 2D Sonic game and “not a remake”.
The general rule for the art of Sonic Mania was to be above the level of Genesis, but under the level of Saturn.
The gameplay for Mania is similar to Sonic 3’s. The elemental shields were mentioned, but just that they are returning (that, we already knew).

Source: http://www.tssznews.com/2017/04/12/famitsu-has-released-new-information-on-sonic-mania-forces-iizuka-interview/ via NeoGAF

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Xad posted:

No, that's Future Trunks the Hedgehog, easy mistake to make.

Ah, so instead the new playable will be Sonic Black.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

why does a sonic game need cutscenes

Because it gives us Mike Pollock as Robotnik.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I doubt Western comics in general are going to be considered a growth industry anytime soon.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Coldsteel is now canon.

It's beautiful.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

So I opened the video and took one look at the people actually demoing the game and I'm like whaaaaaaa

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Those Blue Wisps were evil all along, I knew it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I can't wait for Sonic to be mind-controlled to be evil and then my OC will have to fight Sonic and save the day.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

If there was no Sonic game made then how am I listening to this incredibly cheesy song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x29TGL71pv4

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Guys what if

Bear with me here, just, what if

Sonic

was actually

never good

(except the music which is always good)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I have been aurally compromised by listening to good Sonic music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Secret Rings is way down there but at least I think it gets a bit more competent once you get past the mind-numbingly stupid idea of having to level up to get non-lovely controls. I'd still put it close to the bottom for that alone but if you're assuming max level it's a lot more playable than 2006 was.

I think I actually dislike Black Knight a bit more but that is because I hate the stupid sword mechanic so much.

I have played neither Black Knight nor Secret Rings but I still like Black Knight more because it gave us Knight of the Wind.