Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

sharrrk posted:

i'm like 90% sure sonic rush adventure had a homing attack but it was on a weird button and the game never tells you about it and you never need it. maybe i'm remembering wrong but thats sounding right to me

Technically you can do a homing attack as Sonic in both Rush games (as well as in Sonic Advance 2 and 3) but you have to be right next to the enemy and press the R button while jumping (or in the case of the Advance games, press the jump button again in mid air), it's pretty much useless though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I never hated how either version of Sonic 4 looked and I think Episode 2 actually looks pretty good for a 2.5D game.

I personally thought Sonic 4 Episode 2 was somewhat better than the first one, it had a bit more originality going for it at any rate (though that's not saying much and for what it fixed it did introduce it's fair share of new problems as well).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 5, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Played a bit of Fire & Ice and I can already tell this is the best of the Sonic Boom games (though that's not saying much). It's much faster paced (though I'm a bit dissapointed they didn't give Amy her triple jump from Rise of Lyric), the levels are a lot shorter and less maze like than in Shattered Crystal (I completed the first act in a little less than 2 minutes) and while there are still collectables, as far as I can tell so far they're just for unlocking extra content and not actually required to complete the game. So yeah, surprisingly a lot more fun than I was expecting.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 27, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, Sonic Boom Fire & Ice is a surprisingly competent game. The levels are much shorter and faster paced, you don't have to backtrack for collectables in order to progress, the character switching so far as been severely downplayed (in fact, a lot of levels are played exclusively by one particular character), the writing isn't nearly as cringe worthy, there are actual boss battles this time around and for the first time I'm actually having fun playing a Sonic Boom game.

It's basically the best game in this sub-series (though that's not saying a whole lot) and is a huge improvement over Shattered Crystal (which itself was still more of a Sonic game than Rise of Lyric was, also neither of the 3DS games are a glitchy mess though that's probably because they were made by a different company). Your mileage may vary of course but I'd recommend at least giving it a try.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I'll be surprised at a new Sonic game being good

Eh, Colors and Generations were decent, Lost World was mediocre at worst, Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice is passable enough (avoid the other two games in the series though) and from what I've heard, intital reports on the upcoming Sonic Mania have been fairly positive (not to mention it's being made by the same guy behind the Sonic CD and Sonic 2 remakes, both of which were well received).

Not a garauntee of course but so far at least there's a chance of the upcoming games being decent (I do wish they'd show some more footage from Sonic '17 though).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Lost World is so bad, so loving terrible in every possible way that it is one of the few games that makes me angry at ever having bought it. I will never let a 'Lost World wasn't THAT bad' comment go unchallenged. My hatred for it burns like the sun.

To be fair, Lost World starts off ok, then takes a sharp nosedive later on. The fact the game doesn't really explain the controls that well is also a mark against it (I only just recently figured out how to Light Dash with the Hover Wisp for example). The only reason I personally rate it as "ok" is that the 3DS version is much, much worse. In fact, it's the only Sonic game aside from Sonic Labyrinth that I refuse to replay.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Isn't Sonic 2 on the 3DS or is that a different port?

Pretty sure that one's just the standard Genesis version.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

The longest running licensed comic based on a video game.

Which makes it weird why Sega (or Archie as the case might be) is suddenly deciding to pull the plug now. Has there been any further info released about this?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dabir posted:

So they fit the spirit of the originals perfectly!

To be fair, jumping on enemies in 3D is kind of awkward so the homing attack is pretty much necessary to keep the flow going. It has no business being in a 2D game though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

I never really felt that Knuckles was in "Shadow's Lane"; it was more that they just flat out didn't do anything with him. Knuckles is best when he's treated as the third member of the main trio, the more serious and blunt character who's kind of thick to Tails' intelligence and youthful enthusiasm, and Sonic's freewheeling sense of adventure.

"Doofus Knuckles" has even less of a direction to go. He begins and ends with how much of an idiot he is, and doesn't show anything else. He's the easiest joke in the world to make and half of his material is cringeworthy - not in the same way Shadow's game's edgy teen fantasy shlock is, but cringeworthy in the sense that "I hope to god some kid who gets picked on for being held back on certain things isn't watching this".

Speaking of Shadow, they somehow made his Boom counterpart into even more of an edgelord (Sonic, Tails and Eggman more or less stayed the same personality-wise though, I think the only character in that series that actually got changed for the better was Amy).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

this comment gave me aids.

Seriously, why do some fans seem to think that just calling a game Sonic Adventure 3 would automatically make it good (hell, '06 is already basically SA3 in all but name and the lack of a Chao Garden and look how that turned out)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 24, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

They should make a game where you play as Eggman and all you do is come up with ways to punk on Knuckles.

It's been said before but I would love a Misadventures of Tron Bonne style game starring Robotnik (hell if you wanted to keep some Sonic-esque gameplay intact you could probably throw Metal Sonic in there too).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Have we heard anything about giant rings yet? Because otherwise the circle of stars could just be the entrance to the special stages like it was in Sonic 2.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 12, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

I had fun with it. It's rough around the edges but there's some good stuff going on there.

I thought it was a better game than Secret Rings at the very least.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

Who the gently caress is recommending Lost World 3Ds. Don't play that it is trash garbage and I hate that I paid full price for it. It's the worse version of an already fatally flawed game.

I heard the 3DS sonic boom titles are ok play them instead i guess?

Or just play anything else, most of Sonic's back catalogue is on steam these days. Racing Transformed is ace if you like kart racers :^)

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice is the only Boom title that's anything close to resembling a decent game. But otherwise yeah, if you must play Sonic Lost World go for the Wii U/PC version instead (Generations 3DS isn't that bad though it's still inferior to the console version).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 22, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zelder posted:

did you know that the lyrics to it doesn't matter perfectly encapsulate the feeling of getting trapped in a longwinded internet argument?

This fight is not for anybody
This is purely for myself
There is no way I'm gonna give up
'Till the very end
I can't tell what is wrong and what is right
I've got to find the answer
But until I do there's no way
I will ever give up
Place all your bets
On the one you think is right

Also what was up with the "when all alone in my chair" line from tail's theme, was that song translated from japanese originally?

Nope, all the lyrical themes in Sonic games are in English even in the Japanese versions (in fact, I'm pretty sure the only Japanese song that's ever been in a Sonic game was the remix of Sweet Dreams in 06).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I always thought that CD was meant to come out a lot earlier than it did (what with the Sonic 1 sprites and prototypical Spin Dash). Though I believe it and Sonic 2 started development at about the same time (hell, at the earliest stages they might have even been the same game).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I personally thought Black Knight was a better game than Secret Rings, not that that's saying all that much but I at least had a bit more fun playing the former than I did the latter.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget if this has been mentioned before but just to be clear, is Sonic Mania getting a retail release or is it a download-only title?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nerdbot posted:

Sonic 4 Episode 2... at least doesn't feel like a sacrilegious use of the name "Sonic 4". It's not great but it doesn't disgust me, it's below average but not abysmal. I'd put it above Advance 2.

Yeah, while not great Sonic 4 Episode 2 at least feels more like a sequel to me (with more original enemies and bosses). In fact, you probably could ignore the first one entirely and just play that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Motto posted:

I don't think Forces will be especially serious tbh. The series has been pretty jokey-joke from the games themselves to PR for a while now.

Plus as far as I know it's still being written by the guys behind Colors and onward, I doubt we're going full on '06 level over-seriousness any time soon (nor should it in my opinion, the basic concept of the Sonic franchise is essentially a Saturday morning cartoon plot and should be treated as such).

Off the subject, I don't know if we've heard her in gameplay footage or not but I kind of hope they stick with Amy's Sonic Boom voice from now on rather than going back to the Minnie Mouse-esque voice she had in the previous few games.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

sharrrk posted:

amy and all of the characters minus eggman have had the same voice actors since colors and free riders

I realize that, but they did give her a different voice direction in the Boom series which in my opinion sounds much better (and having just seen the gameplay trailer for Sonic Forces, apparently has been carried over to the main series as well, which is good).

Speaking of which, Forces doesn't really look that terrible so far at least from a gameplay perspective (the constant in-game chatter could potentially get annoying though, it is a bit more subdued than say, Sonic Heroes at least).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 15, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Friendly Factory posted:

This is a small part of the worst part of Lost World: that the game does a piss poor job of explaining its own mechanics.

Yeah, while Lost World wasn't too bad (on the Wii U anyway) it was very experimental and at the same time did a terrible job of explaining it's mechanics (I only just recently figured out how to Light Dash with the Hover Wisp for example). Fortunately from what we've seen Forces seems to be returning to the style of gameplay featured in Unleashed-Generations, which is probably for the best in my opinion.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yes please

I like Orbot because he's sassy and lazy.

I wish they would put Scratch and Grounder in the games and make them canon

Even though they're technically in Sonic 2 and Mean Bean Machine

I think Scratch may have been inspired by a Sonic 2 badnik as well (specifically, those chicken turret guys from Wing Fortress).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Skeletome posted:

Are all of the animals flickies or is that just the bird ones?

Just the birds, which themselves are taken from an unrelated arcade/Genesis game called Flicky.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mikedawson posted:

Big the Cat is a very good and lovable character. While everyone else is fixated on conflict, he is but a peaceful fisherman who only wants to relax and have a good time. True, he's not afraid to get into a fight, but fighting is secondary. He'd rather be fishing. This doesn't make him uncaring. He wants his friends to be happy, because he can't be happy knowing that they're sad. His design is also quite endearing, and his theme music is highly underappreciated. I would play a fishing game starring him.

Also he's voiced by Jon St. Jon AKA Duke Nukem.

Well he was anyway, currently he's voiced by Kyle Hebert (Adult Gohan in DBZ & Kamina in Gurren Lagann among other roles), though he hasn't had a chance to do more than a few voice clips so far. They should bring Big back one day, I kinda liked him as a character.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 21, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

OK so I'm supposed to buy Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal?

Fire & Ice is the only Sonic Boom game that's even halfway decent in my opinion (though that's not saying much). Mostly because it's the only one that actually tries to be a Sonic game. Shattered Crystal has levels that go on way too long even when you're going through them normally and it forces you to hunt through them for collectables in order to progress and Rise of Lyric is a crappy attempt at an adventure style game that somehow makes Sonic 06 look fun by comparison.

Fire & Ice on the other hand, is just a standard (though a bit barren) platformer where aside from a few levels early on you don't have to use the character switching mechanic at all and collectibles are only useful for unlocking stuff in the multiplayer mode, which kind of makes it the best game in the series by default.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 28, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

You've stumbled into the wrong thread, my friend. The Bubsy thread is that-away. :ocelot:

That's silly, there were never any good Bubsy games.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They're right though, the last actual sonic game was knuckles chaotix

Colors and Generations weren't bad (and to a lesser extent neither were Sonic Rush and the first Sonic Advance).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kurieg posted:

I have vague memories of Sonic Drift 2 being sorta okay, but not good. And by all accounts it was a vast improvement over Sonic Drift 1.

Also Sonic Drift 1 never came out in the US.

It did via Sonic Adventure DX (and I think Gems Collection as well).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Barudak posted:

Its been forever since I played it (I had the same loving AI gangs up on you/takes the card it needs from you every time horseshit) but I also remember the stages changing in ways you couldnt predict the first time into a level that would completely acrew you over if you werent ready.

And then its loading again and what should be a quick 20-30 minute game per round turns into 1:30.

I'm a pretty big apologist for this franchise but Sonic Shuffle is one of only two Sonic games I've never played solely on principle (the other being Sonic Free Riders, a good example of why the Kinect was a terrible idea). I never really got into Mario Party all that much but how exactly did a similar game made by the same developer somehow end up being worse?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Battle makes the Treasure Hunting stages a bit less irritating by giving you a fourth level to your radar (if you're right on top of a shard an exclamation point will appear above your character's head). But otherwise it doesn't really make many significant changes to the single player mode.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kuroyama posted:

I think the exclamation point pops up in the single player mode too. I never had too much trouble with the treasure hunting levels in SA2. What's the reason for the hate?

Yes, the single player mode was what I was referring to. Other than that the majority of the changes involve the multiplayer mode and the Chao Garden.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

sharrrk posted:

he only showed up in the secret trophy room in that game, no dialogue from what i remember

I think he had a few voice clips in the DS version of Sonic Colors but I forget what he sounded like (I think it was a bit closer to his voice in Heroes and Shadow though).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Boom is a crappy cash-in designed to promote the cartoon of the same name and wasn't even made by Sega. I don't feel like it should be counted as a mainline Sonic game. Lost World was mediocre at worst.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zelder posted:

Lost world is very bad

Mostly due to the fact it doesn't really do a good job explaining anything regards to the controls. And yet, the 3DS version somehow manages to be even worse by having you stop and do slow, monotonous puzzles in order to progress on occasion (and the normal levels aren't all that fun to play either), not to mention the crappy Special Stages that are controlled exclusively with the gyroscope.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Veotax posted:

Hardly. The game was in development long before the cartoon came along. Elements of the game were reworked to tie-in with the cartoon, but it wasn't made to promote it.

Huh, my mistake then. I had assumed the cartoon had started development first and the games were made to promote it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

To be fair to the 3DS version, the bosses felt like actual fights and I did like some of the wisp powers. Honestly, if it weren't for the level in Frozen Factory where you're pushing snowballs around (basically, imagine if you took Silver's ball puzzle in 06 and made an entire level based around it) and to a lesser extent the part in Sky Road where you have to build up power with the Asteroid Wisp in order to cross a gap I probably would have thought a bit better of it. But as it stands I had a lot more fun playing the Wii U version all things considered (not that that version doesn't have plenty of its own problems mind you).

Honestly the only handheld version of a console Sonic game I liked overall was Colors DS, which was basically Sonic Rush 3 in all but name.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 20, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

It sucks that the comics are going out this way. I hope Overdrive gets leaked somehow at the very least.

Isn't he also Shadow?

Shadow is currently being played by Kirk Thornton (Saix in Kingdom Hearts, Harry Mason in Silent Hill Shattered Memories, among other roles).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Drunk Hobo Sonic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

Top Left Corner - Metal Sonic
Top Right Corner - Mecha Sonic (Sonic 2)
Middle Left - "World Entrance Level 2" (Knuckles Chaotix)
Middle Right - Mecha Sonic (Sonic 3)
Bottom Left Corner - Mecha Sonic (Sonic 2, Master System)
Bottom Right Corner - Metal Overlord (Sonic Heroes)

I think the official name of the Chaotix one is Metal Sonic Kai.