Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
So... like Sonic Adventure 2? But 2D of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
I like running better!

So the Pilot of that helicopter identifies himself as Sigma Alpha 2. ie, SA2, ie SONIC ADVENTURE 2! Isn't that great subtle writing by Sonic Team.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Toxic Caves is an unlockable song in Generations at least!

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

MikeJF posted:

One of the things that was proposed for the remake of CD was a Secret Ending final boss after you got all the Time Stones that apparently would've involved fighting back and forth in time. Sega didn't approve it since it was the first remake and they hadn't proven themselves yet. You can unlock the concept art of it (and their planned extra desert level) though.

Oh yeah, I recall that. Was a really neat idea in concept at least. Makes me wonder what he'd do with the time travel gimmick it it ever came back for a 'CD 2' game. I should probably wait and see how Mania goes first though.

Considering the obscure references in Mania, I'm wondering what R-9 is a throwback to.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Chibs posted:

The level files in Sonic CD were originally stored in folders labeled R1-R8, with R2 being excluded (the cut desert level you can see in the PC version's loading screen). Final Fever in this case then would be "R9."

Ah ha! I was kinda thinking along these lines, with R standing for Rounds or something, but of course that tidbit about the desert level threw me off. Thanks for the triva! Definitely fulfills my criteria for cool little easter egg I'm starting to expect from the guy.

I was somewhat aware of that 'missing' desert stage, but my Beta knowledge is the best. Sonic 2 had a cut desert stage, a long with the others too right?

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

One thing I like about sonic 3 were the sheer amount of special stages in s3&k.

Was the only other 2D sanic to have non-chaos emerald/ring special stages just for lives/funsies Knuckles' Chaotix??

Not quite the same things though you could still count them...

Sonic advance 3 has a couple of extra different Bonus area types just for lives. A 'break the capsule' minigame, and a 'destroy all the enemies' in under 30 seconds map for each zone. The destroy all enemies one has a neat CD throwback in that all the robots drop seeds/flowers when destroyed.

Spinball has the bonus tables between maps, as well as a bonus multi ball table for getting all a levels rings. Just for the bonus points.

8Bit Sonic1 has bonus stages just for 1ups/points.

I think that's all of them? Nothing quite on S3Ks level though, which is a shame as they are neat. A giant gumball machine... sure why not? Felt really proud as a dumb kid when I got out of that stage where the lazer thing vertically chases you too.

Edit; I'm really really stretching your definition now, but there are the mini games in the Chao gardens for Advance1/2 and Pinball Party.

Paused fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 8, 2016

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Xad posted:

I'm just amazed that they're making a level based on an unfinished Sonic 2 level that was also an unfinished Sonic CD level. That is several levels of Sonic prototype nerdiness.

You say that... but now that it's out there I kinda feel silly for not seeing it coming a mile off!

One only has to look at the Sonic2 Hidden Palace for example.

I doubt there will be a 'Wood Zone' from S2 as well, but I wouldn't be surprised at a shout out. Less so with what ever the hell Genocide City was, but eh? Do we have any obscure Michael Jackson references yet in reference to the whole S3 debacle? I'm positive a Tails doll will be in the game, and I'm willing to bet it'll be an achievement. Ray the Squirrel in some form too. I mean how many people really know who the hell the 3 characters on the wanted posters in the new desert level are?

Paused fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 28, 2016

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Sailor Dave posted:

Plus Sega seems to be absolutely against anything that could hint at a background/past for Sonic. He just exists, and that's all. Probably for the best, tbh. The comics tried to do weird past poo poo like that and it doesn't turn out well.

Yeah, the Adventure games get a lot of, well deserved, poo poo for there baffling attempts to give the series something of serious edge or what ever the hell they were trying to do. But at the end of Adventure 2, where the 'super mysterious Shadow' with his 'deep tormented history' asks Sonic who the hell he is and just gets a response which is basically, I'm just a guy who loves being an 90's platform hero, stop over thinking it, was one of the things that they didn't completely mess up.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Did a flicky pop out? Because if one did that time, that means every other time...

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

there goes all my hype.

Yeah, not to be negative, but that's a bit a disappointing ratio to me too. We've been in a nostalgia period for awhile now, what with Generations, the episode 4s, the Lego dimensions stuff and to a lesser extent Lost World. I get nostalgia is a good initial hook, but if that ratio was reversed it be a bit more encouraging that the series is capable of doing new things and succeeding. I get that the two new zones shown so far are full of retro references, but the designs are at least fresh. I guess I'm just saying, and I can't believe this could be a possibility, I don't want Sky Sanctuary to become a stale stage visual to me like every ''''''New'''''' Super Mario Bros stage set back on the DS has become at this point.

Confident the game will be a blast despite that nitpick though.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Everyone loves Sky Chase.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
I know Green Hill is obviously already in, and it's not difficult to see why, but it and its variants could do with a long break. I wouldn't worry about Sandopolis being in if you don't like it considering the levels we have seen included. Wacky Workbench is the one I'd rather not see come back.

Paul.Power posted:

I don't like orange,
Clearly, as your avatar is a bunch of their units being blown up.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
I just knew immediately after reading VikingofRocks question that cover was going to be posted.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
I am guilty of thinking of Chronicles when seeing the Forces trailer myself. I hate what this series has done to my brain sometimes.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
I'm really bored of Green Hill. gently caress Green Hill.

Also I thought the 3rd Sonic thing was just a crazy fan theory? I'm not confident about that at all. Hope to be proved wrong though. We getting pensioner Sonic? He can attack enemies with his cane like Cranky in Donkey Kong Returns.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
You mean like the 'Leather' costumes that were in Rivals? Maybe he could have another alternate costume from that game and dress up like a Furry Cheetah.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Near the end of that Forces trailer does Sonic do a drop dash from Mania?

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

VikingofRock posted:

So I was watching the world record all-good-future Sonic CD speedrun and it seems like there is a lot of room for improvement in it. Any Sonic CD badasses in this thread up to the challenge?

This seems to be better than the speedrun.com run by a considerable margin. No idea why its not up there.

Semi related, an good future plus Time Stone TAS was looked into at one point by the guy who did the S3K TAS's if you're interested. Tidal Tempest was fully routed out. Though it seems to be on hiatus as it's about 10 months since any news has been posted about it.

edit; derp I'm a moron and can't read. At least the TAS stuff is valid.

Paused fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 31, 2017

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
So long as it goes super to return to its home planet I'll be ok with it.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Simsmagic posted:

Is Classic Sonic using the drop dash?

Believe I saw him do so in the original Green Hill video too.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

Sonic 2006: The first Iblis fight with Sonic and Shadow is the worst thing ever.

This is completely accurate. But it also makes the Sonic Speedrun of said boss when he has all his upgrades worth a quick watch, as it could trick you into thinking the boss fight is actually fun. Helpful if you are one of the 0.04% of people who played the games bothered with Sonic gems in post game replays!

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
I've brought this up elsewhere, and no one has agreed.... But does anyone get a bit of a Vectorman vibe from Oil Ocean 2's music?

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Onmi posted:

Another fun Flynn story, when he was talking to Sega about 06 stuff, he asked if they wanted him to use Mephilies in the comic, Sega's response, to the letter was.

"No, Mephiles is dead."

Which is why we wont see him in forces, as far as Sega is concerned, the character is dead and will never appear again.

Not that I wan't to see Mephilies ever again, but he was playable in that mobile endless runner, 'Sonic Runners' near the end of its life time, and that wasn't too long ago. Not that a free to play game on your phone is quite the same league as Forces, but he was briefly brought back again by someone connected to Sega with bizarre decision making skills.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
No more remixes thanks. 6+ years of them was enough.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
One minor thing I learned about relatively recently is that Adventure 1 does have something of a precursor to the ranks in the later games based of your score. Normally when you beat a stage your character says something along the lines of "Yeah, not bad!", but if you get a high enough score (which essentially comes down to ring attacking the stage.) your character will change the quote to something a bit more enthusiastic like Sonic whistling then exclaiming "Sweet!" You don't get anything for it that I'm aware, but I found it neat.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
A few Sonic speed runners, especially the ones that do run Shadow have at least. I recall last year one of the runners streaming on Twitch over the course of a month or so iirc. I think there was a timer of how many in game hours it took him too, but I forget.

I mean, it's a crazy thing to do regardless, but at least the speedrunners know the tricks that mean a good chunk of the levels consist of being at a checkpoint with a full hero bar means the levels done.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
2 weeks to go till Mania Plus also if I recall correctly. Which makes me wonder if it's supposed to be a shout out to Sonic Tuesday from back in the day.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Yeah, that's some good stuff EvilEagle. Been looking forward to seeing some Ray gameplay from some one who really knows what they are doing.

Can't imagine it'll ever end up as popular as the standard mode, but going to be super interesting (at least I hope) to see how Encore full game speedruns develop.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Man, Vector really gets around. I thought in Free riders when he was teamed up with Amy and Cream was odd.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Don't forget the game where the current CANONICAL meeting of Silver the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog happened everyone! Everyone's fave game Sonic Rivals! Where our two heroes teamed up/beat up with one another to prevent Eggmans decedent/alternate reality version from taking a selfie with the world in order to turn it in to a trading card. Silver was even playable there! You could have even dressed him up as Santa! Some how I'm not making any of that up!

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
I cant wait for 'Sonic Crap' to come out tbh.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

sharrrk posted:

there were only 3, one for chun-nan, one for holoska, and i forget the third

Adabat, the Hawaii like place. A bunch of coconuts fall on Sonics head or something.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
That makes more sense. Give me a break, they're both island-y. They are coconuts that fall on his head though right?

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
That was cute. Nice to see Classic Amy actually get some time in the limelight in the whole Mania thing; think she was the only one left yet to do so. Fittingly considering, feels like it wraps a nice bow on the thing.

And with pretty much everything to do with Mania, done so brilliantly. Musics already been mentioned, so I'll just highlight how great the outfits of Winter Classic Amy, and I can't believe, I'm saying this, Pajama Eggman. Somewhat started wondering while typing that if the PJs are a reference to something else previously. Like some pick in Sonic the Screensaver or something.

Also I know that the 'Knux is terrible at his job' thing is well known... but apparently Sonic and Amy (somehow) are just wandering the island, Metal is never followed up on and... Eggman is just living on the Island in a base Knuckles is well aware of? I imagine the Master Emerald is in an unrelated issue currently in several dozen pieces at this time too.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Paused posted:

...Pajama Eggman. Somewhat started wondering while typing that if the PJs are a reference to something else previously. Like some pick in Sonic the Screensaver or something.

Ha, thanks. Now got me wondering if my subconscious recalled that as as soon as I saw the pic in the tweet it came back to me instantly, or I'm just used to these people being essentially Sonic encyclopedias now, and of course they're going to find something that obscure.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
As there are current chats in here about both Eggman VA's and serious/goofy tones in Sonic games...

I'd bring up the final bits in Tails's Story in Adventure 1. Where Tails is freaking out about having to save the city on his own with out having Sonic to rely on while Bristow delivers a menacing "Begone... before I make mincemeat out of you..."
And then you go straight into a simple boss that has Bristow also screaming the "get a load o, Get a load o, get a load of this!' meme. And Tails is happy he saved the day on his own and does goofy stuff.

Not that I don't love Pollock as Eggman tho.

Nodosaur brought up Mario Galaxy and Paper Mario 2 as positive examples of Mario doing... er for lack of a better word on my part... 'Gritty'.

I for one have no issue, and even maybe prefer for the climax of games to shift into slightly serious other tones. You've spent the entire game being the hero! Your victory is somewhat felt as inevitable! ...and we get to end game, and oh poo poo; things are suddenly serious and you both need to win here, and it's not given you will.

That almost sounds like Drama! I recall being pumped for the Dark Queen fight in PM:TYD. You want to beat the bitch.

For me, post Gens era, Unleashed, Colours and Generations (and maybe even Advance 2; as silly as that last story is I just like that ending for some reason) everything is basically farcical until poo poo hits the fan and then... oh yeah we should probably actually deal with this. Unleashed has a bit of dull 'Werehog drama' sure but its minimal.

I have speedruns up on twitch alot and every single time a runner gets to Dark Gaia I gt a little hype. I dont really do that with alot of other endgames. I put it down to the tone shift.

I should reiterate that any kind of serious tone for a blue hedgehog and his pals should be the exception rather than the rule aka 20 years ago to this very day when Sonic Adventure was first released

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Blue Blur Ray the flying Squirrel?

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Outside of the usual flying thing, which, I guess Silver did already have, and you know, in-vunrability thing... did Silver actually get any other abilities enhanced when going Super?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Looper posted:

...the weirder sonic arcade games like segasonic and popcorn shop. how much of a pain is it to emulate stuff like that?

Don't have a clue about Popcorn Shop (Outside of assuming you're not going to get any actual popcorn out of it.), but SegaSonic was relatively easy to emulate on MAME. Controls a bit off though. I forget if it's vertical or horizontally, but the original track ball control doesn't quite match up with traditional up/down/left/right. You end up going diagonally, rather than the direction you press.

I'd love to know if there is a better option for it though.