Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Also the video doesn't show how easy it is to accidentally kick a chao

The Dreamcast version's a bloodbath. The difference between petting a Chao and punching it with your giant pointy knuckles is a few millimetres.

I loved pet raising games as a kid. I was also kinda surprised that other games like Mario Sunshine didn't have all these weird extra modes. No 2-player mode, no kart racing, no ranking system, no menu themes of literally every voiced character, no free DLC, no GBA support, but at least you're being framed by a shadowy doppelganger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Fully open-world versions of South Island, the Floating Island, Little Planet, the Egg Carrier and the Space Colony ARK. Made by literally anyone but Sonic Team.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The best thing about Colours is there isn't a checkerboard hill in sight. You're running through underwater pagodas, along rainbow roads and down a space elevator while it's being destroyed by a black hole.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I think Sonic Team just really, really wants to work on things that aren’t Sonic. They seem to do alright when they’re working on Puyo Puyo and stuff.

They released Sakura Wars not too long ago. I've heard the gameplay is pretty much 3D Sonic.

They're testing the waters for a sonic game that's 90% dating sim

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

MikeJF posted:

After becoming Sonic's best friend in Sonic Forces, your OC discovers that they can become... something more...

Lookin for a bro to charge my 7 JO crystals with

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I like the Advance and Rush series, and I wish they'd do more modern 2D games like that. Advance 1 in particular was a pretty good modern take on the classics, and Rush was cool as poo poo.

The advance games are more bearable when you realise that anywhere there could be spikes, crushing blocks or bottomless pits, there will be.

The first two have great controls though. I think Yuji Naka worked on at least the first one, which is why the physics are so accurate.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ArfJason posted:

doing advance sprite edits and gifs was my childhood

:yeah:

Dimps was made up of former SNK staff, right? Might also explain the pretty unfair level design if you're used to designing for arcades.

I'm still waiting for a 2D Mario game with something like Yoshi's Island's artstyle. At least Wario got some games with great sprites and cel animation.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

What are y'alls thoughts on difficulty in Sonic games? What makes for good difficulty in Sonic games?

Cause I was just thinking about difficulty in platformers, and in particular Mario powerups vs. Sonic rings, and how with Mario powerups you have a pretty hard limit on how many times you can get hit, and making to a difficult section with a powerup can make a big difference. But with Sonic rings, you can kinda just keep picking them back up, or you don't have to go far to find more - it ends up being a very forgiving system

Yoshi in Super Mario World and Baby Mario in Yoshi's Island allow you to take as many hits as you want as long as you catch them, just like rings.

I'm glad they went with something more forgiving. Most 16-bit platformers were just ridiculously hard to make up for only being 30 minutes long.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

STC could’ve had a pretty faithful adaptation of SA if they had more time, and more help from SEGA than a single JPEG of Chaos 0. Especially since they’d already established that Earth exists and it’s possible for planets to merge.

Still really like what we ended up with though. Thanks whoever posted the podcast here back when it started.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

In my eyes Sonic 2s biggest flaw is there aren't three rings placed at the start of deathegg zone so theres zero leeway to make mistakes or learn which parts of the boss kill you snd which don't. Never had the patience as a child to beat even silver sonic, let alone the final boss iteslf. As an adult I never had the motivation to go and beat the game fully either.

I didn’t get round to beating Sonic 2 without savestates until the day before Mania released. I’ll probably never bother getting all the emeralds because I can’t stand those special stages.

I prefer Sonic 1, but there‘a a few things I do to smooth over the rough parts. Versions with the spindash make labyrinth zone much more bearable and you can skip most of Scrap Brain act 3 with the shortcut. Or just use level select I guess

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't know if Sega considers Sonic games a direct competition for Mario games anymore, but they really should have looked at how long it took to make Mario games and thought to emulate that.

If SEGA started treating all their employees like Nintendo then maybe all the people they hired for Unleashed wouldn't be working there.

The Olympics games let them headhunt the best talent. Iizuka has no idea because he never got asked.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I know the story in Heroes was an afterthought, with the writer having to come up with something for each team to do after everything else in the game was decided on, but it’s still really bad. The characters were all simplified and had nothing interesting to say to each other despite talking constantly during gameplay.

Something I appreciate about early video game cutscenes is how they were as long as they needed to be and not a second more. SA2 and the PS2 Ratchet and Clank games were like this. Sure they could end pretty abruptly, but they’re so fast paced I don’t mind sitting through them again on replays.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Amppelix posted:

I'm entirely unsure what you could mean by that. Since when have cutscenes started not being as long as they need to be?

Sonic 06 mainly. Same problem as Kingdom Hearts where characters leave massive pauses before replying and the music and sound effects are just missing.

There’s a cutscene where Silver returns to the present and he complains about the noise the crowd are making. Not only is there no crowd, there’s not even any noise.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I replayed Advance 1 and 2 last year, and although I didn’t have the levels memorised, I did have a sixth sense for Dimps bullshit.

I’d just think where the most annoying place for retracting spikes or a bottomless pit would be and I’d almost always be right.

They’re still fun to play and have pretty faithful classic Sonic physics. If Dimps are made up of former SNK devs, that probably explains the great sprite work and unfair difficulty.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

All a ranking system needs are S, A and B ranks. B for a pass, A for getting enough points from time, rings, tricks and enemies defeated. S should be like a staff ghost in F-Zero, just obscenely hard to obtain unless you’re darkspinessonic.

Just make it so that you only need A ranks to unlock everything.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I first found out about SA from the let’s play forum in 2008 and it was incredible watching the sonic 06 playthrough as it came out. I stopped playing sonic games after being disappointed by heroes so I had no idea how bad 06 was.

Fantastic let’s play, but my favourite is still dead to rights retribution by slowbeef and diabetus, followed by them watching the movie mode of Other M.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I don’t know anyone doing edited Sonic LP’s, but for other series you can’t go wrong with SuperGreatFriend and Chip Cheezum. They put a ton of effort in showing off each game to the best of their ability. You get to see and learn pretty much everything about the game while also being edited where necessary.

Cybershell’s streams aren’t edited of course, but his NPC run of sonic adventure is really nice and relaxing. It’s great seeing something new in a game I thought I knew everything about, even if it is just dialogue. Getting to see the original Dreamcast graphics again after so long is oddly refreshing too.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Only watched up to SA2, but I agree with pretty much everything.

The motion capture in SA2 is hilarious sometimes, particularly the scene at the end where Amy reminds Shadow of what Maria really wanted. She’s just drunkenly stumbling around and gesticulating, and Shadow runs off at the end like a scooby doo character.

However, the characters’ faces are more expressive and better animated than any of the games up to Sonic Riders and Unleashed. The scene after the Rouge and Knuckles especially. In Heroes and 06 the faces can’t do much more than open their mouths and blink.

Basically, if they remake SA2 the only things I want changed are the camera, draw distance, button layout and collision. I’ve been playing the Dreamcast version in an emulator and 146 emblems in I can say it’s still one of my favourite games.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

sharrrk posted:

theres never been a better time to replay Sonic Adventure 2

Going for 180 emblems has been really fun and my chao are adorable. It’s great going back to the Dreamcast version but it might take some effort to get some of the online features working. There also doesn’t seem to be a vmu emulator for chao adventure 2.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

womb with a view posted:

Oh god and the kart racing depending on the version you're playing

This is what made me give up as a kid, but I found out from some GDQ run that drifting lets you break the speed cap. If you start drifting after a boost and keep tapping left or right to keep it, you’ll easily get the A rank. Doing this for the missions where you have to avoid hitting the cars or walls takes a lot of practice though.

I didn’t realise there were any changes to the racing stages between versions, or do you just mean the kart racing minigame? The engine sound isn’t ridiculously loud in the Dreamcast version at least.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I’d be tempted to play it (if it was possible to skip all the combat) just to roleplay StC Sonic the whole way through.

E: Tried to find some examples of the dialogue and found that someone had ripped the character models from the game. I love the bootleg toy look these all have: https://www.models-resource.com/ds_dsi/sonicchroniclesthedarkbrotherhood/

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 7, 2021

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Party Boat posted:

This guy is way more of a prick than STC Sonic ever was.

The difference with STC is that it’s just how kids talk to each other in the UK. When you’ve known someone for a long time you can tease them and they know it’s not meant to be serious. I learned pretty quickly to not act like this around people who didn’t grow up here.

Amy in STC is good because in her first few stories she just acts that way because it really winds up Sonic, but pretty soon after she’s just a regular freedom fighter or is off on her own adventures with Tekno.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Party Boat posted:

I have strong opinions about the characterisation of this mascot platformer

Good, I need citations for my thesis on why Sonic Heroes completely ruined every character forever

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

You can set up a DreamPi if you want to get your Dreamcast online. It needs just the shittiest of RPIs in order to work. Worth the $50.

That's great, thanks! I'll see if there are any other Dreamcast games that could use this.

Yesterday I got Android running on my old Switch and Dreamcast emulation runs great on it. SA2 looks and runs perfectly even at 720p with widescreen. GC and Wii is a lot more hit or miss though.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

azurite posted:

That's really interesting, I didn't know that. I was watching The Inbetweeners and, while I'm sure a lot of it is exaggerated for yuks, I thought the kids were being absolutely vicious to one another most of the time.

It felt way more real than any US show about school to me. They're good people who do stupid things because of inexperience, peer pressure and hormones.

I didn't know there was a US version of the show until this video popped up. I'm not sure how you'd even make this work since US shows always seem to be an extremely rose-tinted and idealised version of school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY3-D4R8Oxc

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The entire finale is great. Terminal Velocity is fun, it sounds great, and it's also called loving Terminal Velocity. The final chase at the end is great. Colours rules.

Definitely a standout in a fantastic soundtrack. I'd also recommend the chiptune version from the sonic simulator.

What's great about Colours is the presentation and the completely original level themes. It's also the first 3D Sonic game without some clear drawback like alternate playstyles that aren't what you expect in a Sonic game.

I just find the boost games too restrictive and simplified compared to SA2. I'd even prefer playing them with SA2's gameplay since I feel like I have enough control that I don't need invisible walls or forced 2D sections to stop me from flying off the stage.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

InspectorCarbonara posted:

A really minor thing that Colours had that I liked was the challenge mode that let you just play all the levels back to back like in the original games without having to go through the world map.
It’s probably the 3D Sonic game I’ve replayed the most because of that.

I can't seem to find it but I think there's a mod for Colours that lets you play each zone in one go, without being separated into acts. There's also mods that port the stages into Generations but you can't use all the wisps.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Vookatos posted:

I'm noticing that it's a theme with Sonic. The games are definitely not as polished as Marios, so you rarely get a consensus on which games, 3D at least, are actually good. The constant identity crisis doesn't help.

Series like Sonic, Final Fantasy and Resident Evil are always changing to try and stay popular. Some games will be exactly what you want and others will be the complete opposite.

I actually prefer this because I love the games that feel like they were designed just for me, even if it means sometimes having to wait a decade or more for the next one like it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Fartington Butts posted:

Hi Sonic thread. I'd like to introduce that I care too much about Sonic. And...

The Generations 3DS version rules because it has Mushroom Hill AND a new version of Robotnik Big Arm.

Fantastic remix of the Big Arm music that’s twice as long as the actual boss fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVQjrIcwyEg

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

That one is uniquely offensive though.
I feel like people here don't play enough of the first two. They're really super good and Sonic 1 feels so much better in widescreen.

Having the spin dash in sonic 1 makes labyrinth zone much more bearable. The shortcuts added to marble zone help a lot too.

Spiderdrake posted:

Playing all three of them a lot recently has made me realize a horrible truth though: Angel Island Zone loving sucks compared to Emerald, Green or Mushroom Hill.

Dunno man, Angel Island Zone is one of the best designed levels in any game I’ve ever played. I can draw the entire thing from memory, at least the sonic and tails route. Hydrocity and Ice Cap are also right up there in my favourites.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Basically each time a new game comes out only the previous two games are still canon. Master Emerald? Gone. Angel Island? Gone. Chao? Gone.

The last few releases from Sonic Team were:

Sonic Generations
Sonic Lost World
Sonic Runners
Sonic Forces

That’s why Forces feels so off, because nothing from generations is still true. Nobody thinks to collect the chaos emeralds since they weren’t in the last two games. Knuckles isn’t the guardian of the master emerald. Tails never saved station square or broke sonic out of a maximum security prison.

At least in Kingdom Hearts every game is cannon and got referenced in KHIII. The retcons just fudge the details a bit.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Vookatos posted:

Beat Heroes as team Dark, and I really like how Robotnik (I don't like them renaming him) just gaslights Shadow. "The gently caress are you talking about, you're my cool robot boy!"
Unless, of course, the story gets expanded even more in his own game and Shadow turns out to actually be a robot for some reason. I certainly didn't expect them to connect the games in such a way that if you haven't played SA2 it's... Not exactly clear what's up with anything.
Great choice on replacing Tails' voice actor with a 2-year-old, btw.

He does turn out to be the real Shadow, as Robotnik says he recovered him after SA2 if you take way too long to defeat the final boss (where all the deep lore is hidden)

If I remember correctly (I thankfully gave up on 3D Sonic games after Heroes so I didn’t play this game) Shadow says it doesn’t matter what his past is, because only what he decides to do now is important. That’s actually a decent way to tie up his backstory, ignoring everything else about what happens in the game. They should have just left him being real or not as ambiguous because that shouldn’t change who he is going forward.

Basically he should be Dark Riku from Kingdom Hearts if the real Riku died at some point. Maybe knowing he’s not the original but realising that doesn’t really matter

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

Honestly, after 15(!) years of Let’s Play and critiques, I don’t need to experience it.
https://youtu.be/ze582VGaAkY

I saw the entire pokecapn LP a few years before I played Sonic 06 and still found it hilarious. Even if you think you know how it works it still finds ways to break that you'd never see coming.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

All you need to know about mach speed sections is that jumping is a death sentence, since you have zero control in mid-air.

Oh, and make sure you manually saved before the level, or else you'll have to do the Trials of Soleanna again! That's another 12 loading screens.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

It’s still incredible how much worse Sonic 06 is than Sonic Adventure, which came out 8 years earlier and took 8 months to make.

That game had near-seamless transitions from cutscenes to gameplay and vice versa, as well as between different sections in levels. In 06 everything gets a big fat loading screen.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Amppelix posted:

It's sonic adventure 3. Of course it's going to captivate people, the game had so much potential that was completely wasted when sega just pulled the rug from under its feet.

A lot of people wished this game was finished or try to finish it themselves. However I can’t see anything this game tried to do that was different or better than what was already done in the Adventure games.

Crisis City was a neat idea for a stage, but there’s a much better version in Generations. There’s a couple of games that are similar to Silver’s gameplay, like Star Wars The Force Unleashed and even the Gravity Rush games.

Everything else in 06 is just derivative. They brought back the Egg Carrier and did nothing with it. You just fight Sonic’s final boss underneath it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

if Oreo and Hyrdox are Shadow and Sonic, whats the Silver the Hedgehog of chocolcate-cream-filled cookies?

Dunno, but in our part of the world it’s:

Sonic: Digestive
Shadow: Hobnob
Silver: Rich Tea

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The StC Podcast hasn't got to it yet but I loved the arc about Metal Sonic. I think in this comic all the different versions are called Metallix.

Grimer is such a gently caress-up. He designs Metallix with this brilliant AI and Robotnik's only contribution is the restraining mechanism. So Metallix goes back in time, prevents Kintobor from becoming Robotnik and mass produces itself. I guess even without Robotnik, Grimer still becomes Sonic's enemy and designs Metallix without any failsafe. Sonic has to make the uncomfortable decision to allow Robotnik to exist to prevent an even worse timeline.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

GDQ Hotfix had a bunch of interesting Sonic speedrun categories. It's great if you want to see the games being played without just skipping past most of the stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_qx0kzG_wI&t=2243s

This shows why Final Rush is one of my favourite levels. The entire run is really impressive.

I've waited almost 20 years for just one more game that uses this movement. It's hard to enjoy any of the later 3D Sonic games when I'd have so much more fun if they used SA2's physics. It took about 15 years for the Kirby series to bring back Super Star's gameplay and for Kingdom Hearts to go back to the KHII style of combat.

I actually really like when series take big risks with their mainline games, because sometimes the most divisive games turn out to be my favourites. We wouldn't have SA2 if they didn't treat it like the last Sonic game they might ever make. But this just leaves some fans waiting for years for the series to give them what they used to like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

flavor.flv posted:

Final Rush is fine until you get to Knuckles, and then you're hosed if you didn't get the secret upgrade ten hours earlier

Unless you did get the upgrade, then it's just tedious

I had a tough time with Cannon’s Core as a kid, but now I really enjoy it. I’d still struggle without the air necklace though.

https://tcrf.net/Sonic_Adventure_2_(Dreamcast)#Missing_Cannon_Core_Tracks

The music is also fantastic. There were originally going to be different tracks for all 5 characters, but it got trimmed down to 3.

You can sometimes tell when things changed during development just because the stage’s music doesn’t match the character. Like early screenshots showing Sonic in Sky Rail.