Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

A boss for every zone makes me very hopeful, even if the one on display in the trailer doesn't look very interesting.

Maybe it's not super interesting, but it's still really neat.

For the longtime fans, it takes the basic gameplay paradigm of the first boss in the series (dodge a swinging ball to jump and hit the target without getting hurt) and adds in an extra dimension.

Like, that says great things. The first boss isn't some crazy contraption with a massive arena. It's just a very simple design that plays dynamically without any frills.

For the new player, it's a great tutorial boss. It teaches that bosses will have predictable patterns. It teaches that bosses will have defined places to hit. It teaches that sometimes you need to wait for the boss to be vulnerable. It teaches that bosses can have safe zones where one can get a breather and take it calmly. Finally, it teaches exactly how you'll bounce from an attack, and does so in a safe manner: there's a good chance if you jump for a hit you'll land on safe ground so you can learn the physics safely.

I mean, compare Sonic 3's first boss (Angel Island Act 1). It just sits there, shoots out some flames every now and then, then moves to the other side of the screen. There's very little to be learned from the fight. Worse, if you have a fire shield, you don't even need to try. Nothing about that boss prepares you with fundamentals for the game's later bosses. Now, the flip side is that Sonic 3 has some of the most varied and dynamic fights in the series, and nothing exactly can prepare you for crap like Lava Reef 2's boss or freaking Death Egg (either), but there's a cost in accessibility.

Compare its predecessors. Sonic 1's bosses were all about the physics and being careful about how you attack. Sonic 2's bosses were all about playing with limited timeframes and angles of attack. Note that only Sonic 1's final boss has "you can only attack here at x time" while that's present in nearly every boss in Sonic 2. Conversely, Sonic 2 has very few bosses that require you to be careful with your jump. Sure, there could be an obstacle or projectile, but if you hit you were probably safe. However, that's all over the place in Sonic 1 in a smooth progression:

-avoid landing on the ball (easy, with a nearly static target and slow predictable hazard)
-avoid landing into lava or flames (a bit more difficult as the target moves and the fire is a little less predictable)
-avoid landing in a death pit (dangerous, but you control how and where the danger is while also introducing a risk/reward tension into the attack)
-avoid landing on various obstacles (while there's no boss in the traditional sense, all of the boss fight mechanics of being careful of when and how you jump against a fixed obstacle are there. Bonus in that the "recollect rings" method of staying alive opens you to death by drowning)
-flipping things around: you're safe to land nearly anywhere but when and where you attack is taken away somewhat (not that difficult but an appreciated gimmick between two more annoying fights. Basically the same as Star Light itself)
-final fight. Landing is safe most of the time but extreme care must be taken to not attack too soon or too early. Safe zone is present but only safe for half of the boss's attacks (hard as balls and requires everything learned prior).

All of that is to get to my point: the Sonic Mania Green Hill boss feels like it's going for the smoother and more elegant boss design of Sonic 1 and 2 rather than the zaniness of Sonic 3 and CD. Focusing on the simple basics says far more positive things about the direction of the game compared to if something like a Sonic 3 boss came out with its "look at how crazy and different it is" which suggests style over substance*.

*Not that Sonic 3 is style over substance, really--there were two prior games to give training and context for all the rules it was breaking--but it does mean that it was less new player friendly in its basic design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

Sonic Twitter is the best thing about the whole franchise. You go, aging social media employee.

Ah, yes, that aging 27 year old guy. Sure does know how to keep in touch with today's youth in a manner you don't expect from senior citizens like that these days.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
What the world really needs is a roguelike Sonic MOBA built in the Tetris engine.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Geostomp posted:

We don't get there until fan characters are brought up. To avoid that grim fate, let's change the subject now.

So about that Sonic Forces CaC...

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
So I grabbed Mania on Steam the other day. I marathoned all the Genesis (plus CD, not Chaotix though because a 32X is expensive) games during the week leading up to buying. There's one really important change from Sonic 3 and Knuckles that I just noticed.

Your score is saved with your save file.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

I can never get it to fire consistently, it seems to be pressing Up+Jump once Tails jumps after you. Getting Sonic to actually grab him is a crapshoot.

Hold up, jump, and then press jump again. That will cause Tails to start flying, assuming he jumped with you. Holding up and pressing left or right will move him left and right some, which can help.

See, if you're on flat ground, it works pretty easily. Once you press jump the second time, Tails will start flying and if he was right next to you, he'll catch you before you hit the ground. If you're on sloped ground, it's a bit trickier, since your position when he starts to fly might be off to the left or right some, and you might have to improvise.

Also, when you press jump for the second time, don't hold it. Holding the double-press is what triggers a drop dash; letting go will avoid you spinning off into death if you miss getting grabbed.

What definitely does not work is holding up and pressing jump a whole bunch. That will cause Tails to start flying and fly straight out of your reach without a second thought. Give him time to catch you.

If you've got a lightning or bubble shield, you've got a lot more leeway in making the catch. If you've got a fire shield, be facing a wall or be ready for some quick moves.

No matter how you do it, once Tails has you then you can fly as though you were controlling him directly. Sonic won't jump off or anything while you mash jump. If you do want to hop off early, then hold down and hit jump.

Basically go practice a whole bunch. Once you've got the timing down, you can do it basically on call.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Xad posted:

Something I might have accidentally found out the other day but I still need to test it--I think it's not about timing, you can just hold left or right when you press jump to go in that direction.

This is true and has been since 1995.

Of course, every other "spin around something" object in that game works according to a semblance of physics, so Sonic is just weird and confusion is understandable.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Leathal posted:

Is there a trick to drop dashing? Holding a direction and pressing a button while in the air only works about 60% of the time for me. Mashing the button or trying to time the press for right before Sonic hits the ground works even less often.

Beat the game without ever using it but now that I'm doing time trials it would be cool to learn.

Jump, and then press and hold jump in midair. After a moment you'll hear a spindash rev sound. If you land after that still holding the button you'll dash off in whatever direction you're facing. If you land before the sound you won't dash, but that mostly applies in the case of jumping to higher ground. Pressing jump at the top of your jump from flat ground is sufficient to dropdash upon landing.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Weavered posted:

I think it's 25. Segueing smoothly from this into a moan about blue spheres.

I love these stages, probably partly because I'm just really good at them from playing so much S3&K and partly nostalgia but god are they an awful choice for a bonus stage. They stop the pace of the game flat, especially as some are so close together and there's no actual bonus for completing them in the main game, medals aside and especially once you've won them all. I can't help think the candy machine from S3 would have been so much better.

I know the obvious answer is to ignore them but how am I supposed to go against 20 years of conditioning?

It's rather easy to go against that conditioning.

See, I thought the same as you at first. They're fun, but what am I getting from it? Even once I knew it was kind of hard to feel like it was worth it. And then I realized: they give you nothing during the main game. Which means you can skip them without feeling like you're passing up something useful. It's kind of like the Chao Garden in SA1/2 in that it's a side goal you can pursue through the main game or ignore without making a difference either way. Except, of course, the massively smaller time investment. The principle remains the same: it's a side bonus you can pursue or ignore at your leisure.

That's not say I don't wish they had a "real" bonus stage available. I'm not sure what they'd do, though. The only classic non-main stage idea that hasn't gotten mined in Mania is the Sonic 1 Special Stage, and that was already redone for the Sonic and Knuckles slot machine bonus stage.

Actually, I know the answer: Sonic Spinball themed bonus stage. Get on it devs.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

EVERY👏3D👏SONIC👏IS👏BAD👏ALWAYS👏REME

I'll make you eat those words!

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

It's okay that you don't care that much but the difference absolutely matters in a speed based platformer. It's one of the genres where it matters the most, even.

It really won't.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Literally nothing if the game isn't running at the same framerate. That's bordering on a lie lol.

The year is 2017 and people still somehow have this opinion. Mystifying.

Whether Sonic Forces is worthwhile to play will be decided at far more broad reaching design levels than if one platform is capped at a different framerate than the others.

In other words: it won't matter.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Baggot posted:

Yeah, I just use "MJ" as shorthand for the whole situation with MJ and Brad Buxer and their teams.

Nobody knows full details but the fan speculation is that the rights were in murky gray legal space so that's why Sonic 3&K stopped being included in compilations or released for 10 years now, because doing so with the original music would be a rights violation, and doing so with new music would be an admission of guilt of sorts about having used it in the past. So who knows what this new one will be.

The legal reasoning has always seemed like a dodgy one to me: if there were some issue with Sonic 3 being released because of its music, then why would it still be available to buy on Steam?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's fitting that a fangame is the best 3D sonic when the best Sonic since Knuckles was Mania.

to be fair, any 3D Sonic would have turned out a lot better if it had twenty years to be worked on.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don’t know what this means.

remember when the moon got half blown up by a space cannon? good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

quote:

midis

so I've been seeing a bunch of people say this, like MIDI is synonymous with "bad". MIDIs are basically just sheet music: they don't "sound" like anything, anymore than sheet music would. What matters is what's playing it, in much the same way as how the same piece of music will sound different depending on who's playing it.

And MIDIs? Can vary greatly.

Let's take Launch Base 1, just because anecdotally it seems to be the most disliked of the tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw0OfpwuTrY

This is it as it appears in the prototype, loud drums and all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8zj8tbKvy0

This is probably (due to its position on Youtube search results) the most common remastering of the same track. To my knowledge, this is the version that appears in Sonic 3 AIR.

Regardless of whether or not you think they fit Launch Base Zone Act 1, these both generally sound like fine Genesis compositions and somewhere around these two is where you'd want future versions to land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6IbRo18Rrw&t=1379s

This is the PC MIDI files played through a card with good MIDI support; possibly the actual target hardware or near enough. Pretty drat good, I'd say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60d4uGPNblo&t=1359s

This is a different sound card, but not bottom barrel. It's definitely "wrong", but not especially bad, aside from some fascinating volume mismatches. That said, it sounds just off enough that you could likely think that they didn't run the compositions through something like this to make sure it sounded the way they want. You wouldn't have a terrible time playing this game, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZHc1oah2MM&t=605s

This is closer to what you think of when you hear "MIDI". Every instrument sounds like a different flavor of synth, it's all muddied, and the sounds just don't "feel" right together. The bell chiming towards the end is a sore thumb. You'd play this and think they phoned in the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO47alrxZIk

And then there's this. This is the really infamous stuff. To the best of my (very limited) knowledge, this is the default MIDI driver that shipped with Windows through most of the late 90s through the 2000s. What most people heard (myself included) was this. Your ears probably started bleeding the moment it came on because you know that sound and what you associate with it. This is the game where you say you got ripped off and none of the good music was in there even though all but eight tracks were the "same compositions".

Do yourself a favor and don't listen to that last one's version of Doomsday. Trust me.

What does this mean for the Origins compositions? Hell if I know, I just wanted to correct what I saw as a misconception being thrown around, and maybe even some of you will get a kick out of comparing all these different versions of the same tune. I know I did.