Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Sonic is a good kid and I'm glad he's getting two good games next year. Here's to Project 2017 on the NX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I believe both Sonic games will be good, thank you for reading

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

It's raining today and I decided to play Open Your Heart on the drive over to work. It was a very cool moment and I feel powerful now

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Actually Unleashed's intro was sick up until Sonic started saying words in his awful Jason Griffith voice

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Here's an image of Sonic running fast and being free:

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

sharrrk posted:

its good because i've played through the entire game multiple times and it never stops being fun

Same, except for like one or two levels Sonic Adventure 2 has aged extremely well

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Sonic 2006 gave us the greatest LP of that game by Pokecapn and his posse, so for that alone I'm glad the game exists

I wish they were able to do LPs like that again; it's been way too long since the Four Swords Adventures LP

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

No matter what the new Sonic Project ends up being, I hope it brings back Chao Garden (it won't, but I can dream)

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Spergatory posted:

Knuckles' theme goes with pretty much anything.
https://youtu.be/9xnYxWa2So8

And I do mean anything.
https://youtu.be/u7rTzaMtpWc

You left out one of the best ones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm7zfi3uo4c (slightly :nws:)

Alfalfa The Roach fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 1, 2016

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Project 2017 to feature a brand new character

Let's get that pangolin representation in there

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I'll be surprised when they bring back Big the Cat

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

Colors and Generations were decent

More like they were the best new Sonic games in a long time, along with Sonic Racing Transformed

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

I got a chaos emerald for Christmas today !

Nice job! Only six more to get until you become Super beep by grandpa!

I come bearing another great Sonic Medley from GaMetal

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Flying Battery is cool but wake me up when they bring back Ice Cap

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Sdoots posted:

whats a sonic forces

It's when Sonic comes into your house and holds you at gunpoint, forcing you to buy his new game

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I can't believe there are people who don't have faith in my good friend and pal Sonic the Hedgehog

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Both versions look fine to me, thanks for reading

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I am all in for recreating Sonichu and zapping out to the extreme

e: or Coldsteel, whichever one comes first

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Mikedawson posted:

Also some gameplay of the OC got posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJZfptketUc

IDK about the flamethrower but the grappling hook looks pretty decent.

drat, there's lyrics to this stage music. That's dope

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

I am starting to feel concerned about Mania.

There's no way Christian Whitehead would let us down

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

There's something really ghetto about how the new Bubsy and Shaq Fu both prop up how terrible the originals were just to say that the new version is "better than before" when in reality they just look as average as any other bargain bin game out on the market

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

New Sonic Forces footage for all three gameplay styles

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

The funny part is that Hanamaru probably doesn't even know what video games are

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You seem to know, so can you explain what I'm looking at with that tweet because I don't know Japanese, be it the language, culture or pretty much any of the people.

Well it's been awhile since I've seriously studied Japanese and I can barely read any of the kanji in that tweet, but if I had to guess it has the actress that plays Hanamaru being invited over to Sega Japan for the new Sonic x Love Live! promotion thing

Don't really know what this all will entail, but we might get a new figure out of it like we did with Sonic and Rin:

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/888059641418006528

I can't believe we're also bringing back Shadow the Hedgehog-era music. Forces is gonna own

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Tag yourself I'm Wolverine Sonic

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I will be fine with DLC levels or DLC characters because the base game is gonna be awesome either way

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Sonic Mania & Fred Durst

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I'm just gonna be honest with everyone in the thread

I never extensively grew up on Genesis-era Sonic games. I've always been a 3D Sonic kid at heart, and most of my exposure to 2D Sonic comes from having a friend's copy of Sonic 3 & Knuckles on PC for awhile, getting the Classic Collection for the DS in my high school years, touching Sonic CD all of once before the American game over music prevented little babby me from playing it ever again, and owning Sonic Advance 2 for a longass period of time

But god drat, Sonic Mania is the most hype I have ever been for a 2D Sonic game. Every single part of this game is overflowing with love and care, and it's making me even happier to know that it's being made by people who loved and grew up on Sonic. Without having seen too much preview footage except for some teasers here and there, I can already tell this is gonna be one of the best 2D Sonic games, if not the best 2D Sonic game ever made. It's gonna be so hard waiting for this game to come out in 5 days, especially now that new footage and content is already starting to leak out. Hell, I'm still pretty hype for Sonic Forces to come out too, but I literally cannot wait to finally be able to play Sonic Mania in just a few more days

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

That really sucks for the PC guys. Stay strong and cool, guys!

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

That collector's edition looks super sick, though

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

Anyone else excited for Mania tomorrow j/w

Hell yeah brother

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Beat the game, went back and got all the Emeralds, and beat it again. Game fuckin' rules.

Only thing is how do I do the Drop Dash on the Switch version? And how do I access Debug Mode and & Knuckles Mode?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

Some of the spritework looks amateurish

We must have been playing a different game because Mania's spritework is anything but amateurish to me

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

I won't provide any links to Youtube since there are lots of people here averse to spoilers and I don't wanna eat a probe over revealing the secret Dr. Eggman Enema Bonus Boss or whatever, but some of the boss sprites look too "pillowy" or have weird shading. One of them looks like a cut boss form Sonic Before the Sequel.

I will agree at least one part of the bonus boss looked a little odd to me (it was whatever Eggman's mech's arms were supposed to be) but other than that it's a struggle for me to come up with any sprite that was outright bad-looking

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I found some fun Studiopolis easter eggs involving scrolling text billboards: one of them references Sonic Colors and displays "Good, Great, Awesome, Outstanding, Amazing" in reference to the announcer while you're doing tricks while another has the old-rear end Sega tagline "To be this good takes ages, to be this good takes Sega"

Why is this game so good

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Sonic's friends are Good and I would like to see my boys Vector the Crocodile and Jet the Hawk be playable in a 2D Sonic game

With a bonus Big the Cat fishing game

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I've beaten Sonic Mania with all three characters, but instead of doing time trials or getting all the gold medals, I've just been doing Mean Bean Mode constantly

It's so loving good!

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

OK my dudes here it is, the objective, scientifically-backed Official Sonic The Hedgehog Character Tier List™, where I don't count anything besides the video games because I'm at work and this will already take a while

S TIER
Sonic
Tails
Knuckles
Eggman

A TIER
Blaze
Vector
Omochao
E-102 Gamma
Amy Rose
Hard-Boiled Heavies

B TIER
Rouge
Espio

C TIER
Mighty
Nack
Tikal

D TIER
Shadow
Charmy
Jet
Wave
Storm
Cream

F TIER
Silver

BIG TIER
Big

Big and Shadow too low, Charmy too high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Honestly, now that I've absorbed as much of Sonic Mania as I could, the one point I have against it is that some of its bosses could stand to be better. Most of these are great to fight, like Chemical Plant Act 2 (the best one of them all), Studiopolis Act 2, ,Hydrocity Act 1, and even Stardust Speedway Act 2, but there's a good chunk of bosses that take way too long or are actively unfun to fight (Flying Battery Act 2 and Press Garden Act 1 spring to mind almost immediately, along with Titanic Monarch Act 1). It's probably a minor quibble in the long run, but given how creative and amazing the rest of the game is, it's a little frustrating to see like a fourth of the game's bosses feel like a chore to fight