Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I was talking to someone about how classic sonic still looked really janky and like the original generations. They pulled out the excuse of "it's supposed to be like modern sonic in 2d without the gimmicks of it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The video someone posted back of how Classic Sonic doesn't need to be in Forces and just showed a lack of confidence was spot on with how Sonic Forces looks to be ending up.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

It's been leaked. The stream that was playing stopped once the official Sonic account joined the chat and asked him to though. The levels aren't in the order you'd expect (Classic Sonic's Green Hill is mission 9, lol.) and there were a couple unrevealed areas/bosses. The story is, uh, something.
Here, have some real dialogue:
They've been torturing Sonic for weeks!

:allears:I need to hear more please. Is this the new Sonic 06 plot we've secretly been praying for.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I think Chronicles is completely irredeemable and has no merits to playing. Even 06 has so many bugs to exploit if you love that while Chronicles is just a horrible slog of a rpg.

However 06 is more damning on Sonics reputation due to it being a big main series game celebrating an anniversary compared to Chronicles easily being dismissed as a lovely side series game.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Instashield was bad but great to do stuff like hitting the spiky orbinauts in launch base.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Course then you get people like Arin who are just bad at games and unable to wrap their head around the idea of momentum and speed being a reward for good skill and not just given away freely.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah it really bothers me in modern sonic how stiff and boring the 2d sections often are. It's often stop and go platforming unless you dare trust Sonic's acceleration

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Surprised to see SRB2 mentioned but it is in fact the best running 3d soni fangame and it's a mess made on an outdated doom engine that only just had netplay fixed out developmentally wise.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Funny thing is the levels in SRB2 are actually "recently" made stuff at this point bar the very first act which is being fully revamped. After being changed to stop people from running in circles for hours, devs are pretty open on progress and it's cool.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah the timer is dumb IMO with all the exploration you can do in the levels. Ambivalent on lives because I never game overd so it didn't really matter for me.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

hosed up that even without putting out any work and being quiet he's still getting on the 300~ range on patreon.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Sonic 2 is better because of childhood nostalgia. Can't argue against that.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

A game being rushed to get to a certain release date is basically sonicteam.txt at this point isn't it?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

SMB movie development was a loving mess and a fascinating thing to thing to learn about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve26GpPDTgY
Directors changing, actors changed, assholes being assholes on set. As well as having to work with Nintendo.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Use an android emulator.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Chao Garden was poo poo once you realized you had to do not just for fun but to get all the loving emblems and you have to power grind two of the fuckers near maxed and goddamnit gently caress Chao.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Looks like a homing shot Sonic!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Okay this movie is gonna be enough of a dumpster fire to be worth seeing at this point. I am the true audience for this film afterall being a sonic fan in their 20s.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Nazi pedophile.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

SRB2 2.2 is absolutely phenomenal and a product of them looking at the current state of the games single player campaign and deciding to completely revamp it around 2016.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Analog has been on the back burner for a long time, at this point the game just needs a good camera system to control the camera on a gamepad to really be controller friendly. I do think the kb+m feel good but I've also played SRB2 a shitton by this point.

Also a fun fact is that Castle Eggman Zone 2 was supposed to be even larger before it was decided it needed trimming to make it in time for the launch time in a reasonable fashion.

Arf, a bunch of the older people are still around on the discord, although Mystic retired due to issues with the sonic community as a whole.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 8, 2019

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

Yeah if gamepad had a button to make the camera face the same way as sonic it would be perfect. I ended up giving the mouse controls another shot and they're actually great.

The good news is that this is coming up ad a discussion topic among the devs and seems to be looked at positively so chances are it may happen in a future patch.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

They've stated it's basically arbitrary and they'll move it up when they think it's worth it.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Not just Mystic but a general hold belief as something in the ultimate design document for the game. Something which newer people in the dev team are realizing that maybe sticking to something over 15 years old stringently is maybe a bit absurd given the people behind it no longer even work on the game itself or are really connected to the community after moving onto their own path.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

ArfJason posted:

and with mystics departure i wonder if we can all finally put Aerial Garden Zone behind us. what a tedious boring pile. i dunno why he liked that one so much, i recall there being better stuff in The Mystic Realm

Like half the reason AGZ has been kept purely because of it being a cool testbed for how massive you could make maps in 2.0 compared to the previous version, also AGZ is infact a fun map to play through.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Sonic fans would absolutely throw a fit if Sega rereleased Sonic 3 with a new soundtrack for basically all the iconic poo poo in it.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Sonic sucks

chili dogs

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1641879591567478787

Finally it's the thing I always wanted.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

SA1/2 still understood it was in the sonic universe with absurd exaggerated stuff like loop de loops in San Francisco/military base and having a giant haunted canyon w pumpkin head rock structures everywhere.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Dabir posted:

SRB2 hasn't incorporated it.

Officially.

YET.

And yet SRB2 has multiple character mods that DO feature Drop Dash. It's just an absurdly popular ability and honestly it's cool as a hell and I'm happy to see it everywhere now.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah it's weird because it's not like the soundtrack is universally bad, there's some really good tracks in here but there's virtually 0 direction and Jun continues to repeat his style from Sonic 4 which I just don't like at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Learning that Heroes was massively rushed due to Sega being in the process of imploding at the time due to the fallout of the Dreamcasts failure really does explain a bunch of how unpolished the game is, alongside with a large amount of the levels being designed by one person under such a heavy crunch induced load they lost 25 pounds.