Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Also Sonic Adventure is piss garbage but Sonic Adventure 2 is hella respectable. Sonic Adventure doesn't have anything on City Escape or White Jungle.

True, but Radical Highway has nothing on Speed Highway.

While Adventure 2 is a better put together game, I just hate the way Sonic and Shadow move. They feel janky and stilted. In Adventure 1, Sonic has a smooth, bouncy gait and no 3D game before or since has captured that feeling for Sonic. Heroes is slidy as poo poo, '06 has no sense of acceleration or inertia, the Unleashed era is a whole different kettle of fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It uses the Mystic Cave multiplayer music, but it works a lot better than the actual Hidden Palace music cut from the game.

Also Bluetooth controllers with phone grips are cheap and plentiful nowadays, although I'd have thought Sonic was simple enough that touch controls wouldn't be much of an issue.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm playing Sonic 2 HD on my Surface via Bluestacks and it's surprisingly good to play if you grip the tablet like a phone; the on-screen controls are large enough that I never miss a button press, plus the screen size is pleasingly huge.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sega captures the true essence of the 90s by having the players collect tiny floating Totinos for points and health.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lava Powerhouse is where it's at.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I don't understand their obsession with the Game Gear games. Why wouldn't they use the home console versions? Even on 3DS, the resolution is enough that you'd want the SMS version.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Mania should do a Sonic 3D blast level in 2D. Just new art with the same theme and music.

But which music? :can:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

All-Stars Racing Transformed got Starlight Carnival, and it's pretty magical.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sonic CD has some neat ideas but lacks the fluid level design of Sonic 2.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Mr Phillby posted:

Metropolis is rad as hell and the sonic 3 equivialent is Launch Base Zone which is the ugliest worst Zone in the classic games.

I will take Launch Base over Metropolis any day of the week. Except the music, not that Launch Base is bad, but Metropolis is soooo good.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

El Mido posted:

i think you mean sonic underground, both in terms of awfulness and sonic probably kissing himself.

Couldn't have been Adventures Of at any rate, that show was the absolute tits.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I liked Rush Adventure, but it has a lot of sailing between islands that is largely filler and it prominently features a proto-Sticks called Marine. Rush is a much more pure experience, so if that didn't grab you then Rush Adventure probably won't.

Haven't played Colours DS so I can't help you there, but I imagine it probably holds up better since it doesn't require you to laboriously fill in the map via a boat.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Fargin Icehole posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weQZWQR4Oq0

I hope they make a remix or keep the original in this new game. This encapsulates me playing game gear as a kid. That and Batman Returns.

I still love Sonic 2 SMS, and Scrambled Egg is one of my favorite pieces of Sonic music.

I know the game is trash, but man I don't care.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The top speed is way too fast, but it does seem very well thought out in how Sonic moves otherwise. It at least doesn't look like Sonic slides everywhere like in every fangame engine so far. I'll give it a try later.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

This is the confusing thing to me. He's the new character they want to get over and he only has 4 levels? Why? Increase the number of Shadow levels, decrease the number of either Rouge or Eggman, and we're good. SA2 is great :colbert:

Mod the game so all levels involve Sonic or Shadow, job's a good'un.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The snowball level seems to get people talking.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Dabir posted:

Vector!

This. Vector looks so good in Chaotix, more lithe and bouncy then in Heroes, where he just looks kind of boxy.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Werehog levels become significantly quicker and more bearable when you have decent stats, which is why I always recommend spamming the Apotos DLC Act 1 Night stage, because you clock up EXP at about thirty times the normal rate.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The entire Rush Adventure OST should do it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's not coming to Europe, so I guess I'll go gently caress myself then.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Heran Bago posted:

There are monsters in the U.K. who prefer the songs running at 5/6ths speed. I wouldn't be surprised if they prefer ovals over circles. People like what they grow up with, go figure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKfrr61p7Mw

Make it 30 seconds into this video and tell me it's not frustrating to listen to.

:eng99: ...It used to sound right when I was a kid...

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The controls are the work of Satan himself. Sonic feels completely wrong to control and at no point do you feel like you're fully in control or sure if you're playing the game as intended. The parkour in particular just seems to work via black magic and leprechaun wishes and no matter how many times you perform any given move, you never feel certain that you're using it correctly even after the credits roll.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Spergatory posted:

For the record, my #1 favorite Eggman Boss theme is Unleashed's. It's aggressive and threatening while also being kind of goofy; the way I think Eggman should be. :colbert:

The Egg Beetle boss was a revelation. It's incredibly fast, super fun, well executed, has great music and was everything I wanted a Sonic boss to be in 3D in a way that previous games just hadn't captured. It was the moment when Unleashed earned a permanent place in my heart.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Eggman waves furiously, pleading for mercy as Amy's blimp bears down to push him off the rooftop on to the cold, hard pavement below.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Nah, I don't like having bits of random tat around the place. Still psyched for the game though; I shall be pre-ordering and pre-loading that as soon as I am able.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The way the bosses die in that game is so great; it's a complete riot of explosions, screen shaking and falling metal that almost grinds the game to a halt, before Sonic peaces out straight through the screen.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

And Newt Gingrich is very well named.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, the game they were trying to make with Boom (and the one we were initially presented with) was looking pretty great. But the engine ran like garbage on the Wii U and they couldn't do a lot about it, plus a bunch of content got cut too - one of the devs mentioned in an interview an entire subplot with Amy befriending Sticks, but in the final game Sticks is just an NPC standing in an odd spot somewhere. The history of that game is interesting, but pretty tragic, considering what we ended up with.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 2, 2016

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The scanlines feel like a holdover of Genesis emulation and it never looked good there either. That it would be on by default is baffling.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It says there'll be a third gameplay type besides classic and modern, so I'm pinning my mast to the good ship Boom Sonic With Adventure Gameplay.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This. We're finally getting sonic 4, essentially

Nah. We're getting a side game, something that revisits a bunch of stuff as well as giving us some new levels, a celebration of the classic series, but it isn't going to advance the series in a way that the next numbered Sonic should (and Sonic 4 didn't).

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Rivals and DS Colours don't count due to being spinoffs and alternate versions respectively, while Generations is only loosely canon due to time travel related shenanigans. So any Silver appearances post-Sonic 06 don't count in my mind, and by god they'd better keep it that way.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

sonic cd was on the sega cd.

That was only an add-on, same as the 32X.

...Which I guess means that Knuckles Chaotix counts as well.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've been replaying Sonic Adventure 2 myself, and I'm enjoying it much more the second time around. I wish people were trying to make Adventure-style fan engines that had a slicker, less janky feel than the original rather than Giant Expansive Field Zone.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx_f6kzLBEc

Give these guys the Sonic writing job please Sega thanks.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I think it was cribbed from someone's LP unfortunately.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The game itself looks pretty fun, if only it were on PC and didn't require me to buy small bits of plastic tat.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Larryb posted:

Lost World was mediocre at worst

Lost World is so bad, so loving terrible in every possible way that it is one of the few games that makes me angry at ever having bought it. I will never let a 'Lost World wasn't THAT bad' comment go unchallenged. My hatred for it burns like the sun.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

They're on Android too. If you want them on PC, try an emulator like Memu - you can buy them off the app store through there, although I found the controls somewhat fiddly to set up.

Also I like that beep's solution to fixing Lost World is basically just to redo it.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

El Mido posted:

I'm not ashamed to admit that I bought one of those dualshock 4 phone suction cups to play the android versions of Sonic 1 and 2 with physical controls.

I don't see how this could possibly be considered shameful.