Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's in Sonic Advance 2 (and maybe 3), but I dunno if it's useful there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Great Beer posted:

I'm pretty sure Japanese developers don't give a poo poo what Americans want because they hate everyone that isn't Japanese.

we're in a thread for a game where they decided to just hand the franchise off to american fans :confused:

and many major japanese publishers have been trying to chase western design trends and tastes, which is why you have more open world games and IPs handed off to western developers.

Motto fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 5, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sue posted:

Good games, maybe.

Good Sonic games, certainly not.

I'd say the first bar is a good deal higher than the latter there

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

In-depth analysis of sonic 1 by goon Hbomb: 7.5 deeps/10

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Spergatory posted:

Why was it so bad? It was made by Bioware, wasn't it? Aren't they usually good at RPGs?

It was by their newly formed (and presumably promptly shuttered) handheld team.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Calaveron posted:

And the reason it has poo poo music is because like the week before the game went to print they found out they didn't have any rights to the original music so they had to whine out famously lovely tunes

That doesn't explain the sound effects.

*gobbles*

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

smh at this guy dismissing Lloyd the Monkey

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

yessssss

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Some of the Sonic Chronicles metacritic blurbs are loving bizarre, not to mention 1up giving it a loving 100.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Just by the nature of the series any given sonic team staff member probably worked on a good number of bad ones.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the gently caress is that music

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Rush has kinda goofy physics if you're not boosting but why would you not be. Incidentally taking those physics and applying them without the boost is basically sonic 4's gameplay.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

hahahahahhahahaha

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tbh the created character gameplay doesn't look awful, the grappling stuff still goes pretty quick, though I'll definitely be annoyed if Forces has less zones than Gens.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Wow. Dog gets completely hosed on their special ability.

"Double jumps! Magnet shield! Safety Ring! ... uh, you get 5 rings when you die."

I can't think of any checkpoint that's been placed too far from at least three rings so I guess they just ran out of ideas.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I remember when sonic fans decided sonic 4 would be bad based on literally two seconds of teaser footage and a hotel wallpaper

and hell, they were right

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I liked how they briefly drew rabbit ears

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Obligatory SI "post-username combo" post

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It sucked because those other characters constituted bad filler gameplay. Here it'd just be more characters with different abilities like the Advance games.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Late games happen these days too, they just seem less out of place since publishers usually port them forward mid-development and release them simultaneously. Persona 5 was basically a PS3 game launching in 2017.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The only copy of the comic i ever bought as a kid was about all the chaos emeralds getting sucked into a wormhole, because there were billions for some reason, so they could get forged into 7 like in the games

Also a turtle died or something

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

WORK THAT SUCKER TO DEATH
COME ON NOW
WORK THAT SUCKER TO DEATH

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That rising helix sprite :eyepop:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't think Forces will be especially serious tbh. The series has been pretty jokey-joke from the games themselves to PR for a while now.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the classic sonic mechanics have a lot of potential for depth, but even in the 90s the devs weren't exactly the best at utilizing them, as indicated by literally every zone in Sonic 1 besides green hill

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The JP genesis boxart aesthetic all over is great.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

How does the game handle your save after you beat the last zone? Is it like 3&K where you get level select and keep your emeralds?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Good god, oil oceans second boss is loving miserable.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Finished my first run, it was really fun, no dud acts throughout for me. I'll agree that some of the bosses are a tad annoying to figure out the right way to get at them, but it's an issue that goes away once you figure it out the first time.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

"No Save" mode has a Secrets option menu.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Oh man, Knuckles has his own mirage saloon act 1

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Jarogue posted:

I think I just found the best glitch in the game.

I call it Vegeta Sonic

Ha, same thing just happened to me. Also got a weird one where the music cut out in act 1 and didn't come back until act 2.

e: also, any way around activating super rather than the drop dash once you have 7 emeralds, or do you just have to start a new game at that point?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

I actually caught emerald 7 at Mach 2, I was surprised

Huh, I was curious if that was possible. Wonder if you can actually gain on UFOs by mach 2 or if stage 7 is just that easy to cut corners on.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Excuse me, Knuckles is canonically strong enough to punch Super Sonic so hard he loses his super form. Knuckles doesn't go Super because he doesn't need it.

Playing with INT as your dump stat

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

anime was right posted:

oh so thats how classic sonic got in a 3d game got it

i wish they came up with a plot that was just..... not that

tbh it sounds silly if you type it out like it's some grandiose thing but it's just some cute lowkey references like the mix of the final boss theme

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Generations classic isn't bad in a vacuum but it's definitely kinda generic platforming rather than anything much like the classic games, which will prob be way more noticeable for people after mania.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

Sonic Forces is ALREADY looking to be 40 dollars. Honestly I'm wondering what the story there is.

Wasn't gens 40-50 too?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The drop dash shows that they're willing to tweak things a bit while retaining and improving the same formula, so I'd be fine with more of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

What's the bug with the OOZ2 boss I see people keep mentioning?