Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
You forgot this year's Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

sharrrk posted:

i'm extremely ready for eggmanland 2.0

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.

gently caress, that got too cool in my head, switching around hogs throughout the level, super massive thing, you think you've reached the goal but it's a time machine and now you gotta go back the way you came through an Eggmanland 2 that's still being built to stop Eggman before it all happens.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Finally, "where's that DAMNED fourth chaos emerald?!" has been dethroned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xt0zQFwqW0

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I dig how fast and reactionary it is, youre just using your moves to react to obstacles that come as fast as you let them come.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

So apparently Sonic Boom season 2 is starting to air in the u.s.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlrWipe1L7c
25 hour 25th anniversary Sonic stream with the guy that runs the twitter this weekend from 8am to 8am. :)

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 3, 2016

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Saw this with two replies
"Someone is furiously jacking to this"

"Yeah, ME!"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The new season of Boom started a bit ago, I decided to watch the fourth episode of this season on a whim and it's really, Really good.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

he's an artist

He wrote a very compelling Sonic story eight years ago

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The switch reveal of the 2D Segment doesn't have the grass effects from this video (which Sega of Europe and America released), is missing a whole layer of background and some of it is also rearranged. So there's something there.

I think, visually, it looks pretty great, I hope the grass gets to stay. Level design is what needs tweaking, there just seems to be less platforming than Generations. I'd also really like to see someone play this level for their fifth time, it seems like there's a ton of speedtraps you can easily avoid to keep your momentum, with the odd twist being that these traps exist to keep you moving when you fail them (i.e. loads of springs just before a raised platform so you don't crash to a stop and instead just get bounced up high)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I just wanted Generations 2. Don't honeypot me with less than a handful of Boost Sonic followed by gimmick "tech" platformer with every sonic OC becoming canon. :(

http://sonicthehedgehog.tumblr.com/post/160733709258/take-back-the-planet-from-dr-eggman-as-your-own
#sonic forces #yes - for the first time in series history #you can play as your own character along side Sonic and Classic Sonic #before you go off about a werehog or a swords #it plays pretty similarly to Colors Sonic #but not exactly #you might be able to check some gameplay out on our youtube #with great power comes great... something or other #we know the internet likes to google their name + the hedgehog #so we hope to see what you all create to take down Eggman #we'll be showing more off in time #but for now #thanks for waiting

Eh, i'll give it a chance when there's more than thirty second of gameplay, Colors was pretty good.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 16, 2017

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Seems these are the only options available.

Rabbit looks like it has potential for some dope strats, but Bird is the one i'm actually interested in trying. As close as I can get the gameplay to Sonic Colors.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

God I hope those animations mean full-on 2D cutscenes. :allears:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://twitter.com/tyson_hesse/status/869600426508693504

That's such a good animation team. :allears:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I just spoiled myself to heck and back on Sonic Forces.

It looks bad. Very bad. I liked the boost gameplay a lot in Unleashed/Colors/Generations, but boy, this is what "press boost to win" means.

We're never getting a good final boss again, Sonic Colors was a fluke and a miracle. :smith: At least the reception to Forces, combined with the unstoppable praise for Mania, will probably guarantee more Whitehead games in the future.

Forces is doing an amazing thing making me really appreciate Unleashed. Even the QTEs are better in Unleashed. Hell, I need to actually see all sonic stages in forces, but there might be a case to say that the Jungle stage in unleashed is, length and gameplay-wise, longer than half or more of the Forces Sonic stages combined.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 5, 2017

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I think a part that adds into the timer distress is that cutscenes event are timed too, and theres levels that start you off at ten seconds, while previous games start the clock once you havr control.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Somehow, it feels like about a fourth of Sonic Forces was locked behind the Sonic Boom Season 2 Finale.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I think Colors is just the right tone for Sonic. The script was great, Eggman's given material to go on for hours, Sonic's mostly unimpressed but fairly excited over all the poo poo he has to go through and the emotional moments are small and manageable.

Unleashed was also pretty good about its tone, early warehog notwithstanding.

I like the buttrock stuff in Sonic, but I think it's time to move pass it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Much like Sonic 06's existence is worth it because of the two versions of His World, Sonic Forces is worth it because of both versions of First Bump.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Boom Knuckles is Best Knuckles

Though, early gullible Knuckles is good, too.

Honestly, I'd like for the Boom design to carry over. Knuckles looks like he has nothing going for him in his regular design. He could use something to look distinct from the rest of the cast.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Kikas posted:

Is there a way to subscribe to it online, or are people where the comics are not so much a thing screwed?

Sure is! Comixology is the defacto online store for digital western comics, and you can subscribe to IDW's Sonic comic right now.
https://www.comixology.com/Sonic-The-Hedgehog-2018-1/digital-comic/635276?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9pdGVtU2xpZGVy

If you want them physical, well, I'm not entirely sure about that, but you can at least buy tradepaper collections online every few months.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

holy poo poo sonic mania is getting its own cartoon show holy poo poo!!

its odd that we're getting ray and mighty when amy and vector were what I expected (and kinda wanted) but more mania is what I want

Not so much a show, but five short cartoons. Still awesome!

PUMA IS MAKING SONIC'S SHO-oh, sonic-based shoes, not his iconic red ones.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Big the Cat game confirmed for 2059

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://clips.twitch.tv/IncredulousPlacidTurnipAllenHuhu

https://clips.twitch.tv/HelplessKawaiiBearNomNom

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 16, 2018

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/974760424271855617

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

It's probably by Sumo. In my head it's just SEGA All Star Racing 3 with a different name, and possibly art style.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Just make Unleashed 2 without the werehog. God.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

"20 designs and that was the best one..."

"Are you saying "delete" or "see-nic"?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I bet the Sonic movie's gonna lose opening weekend to the Bluray release of Detective Pikachu.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

People whine about critics and others going "Sonic had a rough time finding its footing on 3D", but it's just still absolutely the case. It had a stretch of 3 games that was just about there, and then here we are.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I think Sonic Mania 2 is totally being worked on right now, but is not the game they alluded to yesterday. Mania will probably be announce relatively close to its release.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

J-Spot posted:

They're probably replacing everyone with a Canadian cast for the Netflix cartoon.

Yeah, probably this. And whoever's doing Sonic there will do it for games.

Wonder if that does mean there's no sonic game between now and the netflix cartoon

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The speed and there only being jump/action for the face buttons makes me think it wants to be a mobile game.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I want to believe that Square chose to have it release against MonHun so that director guy can blame MonHun for this game's inevitable failure.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't know if Sega considers Sonic games a direct competition for Mario games anymore, but they really should have looked at how long it took to make Mario games and thought to emulate that.

The tragic part is that that's kinda what they're doing. Sonic Lost World and Sonic Forces both came out on the same years as Mario 3D World and Mario Odyssey.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Larryb posted:

Seems like the writers for the Sonic series since Colors have been let go as well:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/01/two_veteran_sonic_the_hedgehog_writers_appear_to_have_moved_on

Man, I really hope they put out an interview sometime to explain the process. I have a hard time seeing the guys who wrote for Colors doing Forces. Unless, like, they got some freedom to localize Colors' script while the Forces script came with minimal room for localization/improvement from the jp script.

I guess we are for sure seeing a "new start" with the next game. Wouldn't even be too shocked if the new cartoon is a direct tie-in to the game. Just makes me real nervous because that's sorta what happened with Forces.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I wish I had the power of will to sit through the Megaman cartoon to make a more concrete speculation of how this trashfire will go. What I do know of Megaman Fully Charged from watching like ten minutes of an episode, some clips, and reading three issues of the comic that was made after it was clear they were never going to get another season:
Low energy and very mild hijinks. Love to mess around with the lore like having Wily be Megaman's age (his dad is more Dr Light's peer or something) or New Original Character who is just like megaman and is later revealed to be an earlier model: Namagem. Turns out Megaman starts having PTSD flashbacks as he remembers how he used to be a war machine used solely for the subjugation of robotkind and Dr Light committed many atrocities in the name of mankind against robots.

I don't where this is going. Down to the logo I'm rolling my eyes. SONIC all cracked and breaking, called PRIME and talking about multiverse. The blurb about saving the universe and self-discovery and redemption soon followed by ages 6-11. I think it'll on large strokes be another Megaman Fully Charged where a dumb edgy expanded story is planned but doesn't make it to the air because the week to week episodes are weak AF.

I'm usually pretty willing to give cartoons a chance. Sonic Boom was pretty great once it found it footing, and even before that it just had an issue with forcing itself to be an action cartoon for every third act. But this is raising all sorts of red flags. And the talk of multiverse stuff really cements that it's tying directly to the games for bad reasons.

1000% sure there will be a scene where this Sonic looks at a statue of Classic Sonic and goes "How can I live up to your legacy?"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Larryb posted:

Also the whole thing about redemption doesn’t really sound like Sonic to me (redemption for what exactly?)

I wanna joke about it, but I'm sure the actual thing he needs to redeem will be even stupider. Probably ran too fast and ruined a thing. Maybe killed a whole universe.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I think they should make Mania 2 because that'd be a good game. If that leak is true then it seems their plan for the foreseeable future is making bad games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Forces was also done on Hedgehog Engine 2, games wiht that engine done after Forces have been way better it seems. Such games being Sakura Wars and Puyo Puyo Tetris 2.