Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

The Sonic Boom show parodied CWC.:lol:

for what it's worth the write said he wasn't based on him or anyone in particular, just the idea of a general looney fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The actual joke was that he hadn't finished painting in the arms.

Honestly, between the writer of the episode saying it wasn't based on anyone specific, and most of the jokes being stock loony fan ones and references to broad stuff about the Sonic fandom (his arms being blue were actually a pretty stock complaint about the Boom design before it became associated with CWC), I think y'all are seeing what you want to see on this one.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The longest running licensed comic based on a video game.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

No.

We don't even really know what's going on.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Boom is already on its way out. The Boom comic was cancelled, the show was exiled to Boomerang, and all three of its titles have bombed.

So who knows?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

... why? It's a pretty generic "ruritania" name.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ohhhhh. Hahahaha

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Episode 2 is perfectly enjoyable in my opinion.

Episode Metal was short but I really enjoyed it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

http://www.tssznews.com/2017/01/28/reasonable-assessment-the-case-for-shiro-maekawa/

This is a pretty good write-up on why Shiro Maekawa was an effective writer for the Sonic series, especially in comparison to Pontac and Graff, and why he gets perhaps a bit too much heat for 06.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's pretty funny that a children's show keeps referencing the living nightmare that is CWC.

It's actually referencing pretty basic fan behavior/complaints.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

versions of CD levels that are good would be welcome.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Evil Eagle posted:

Every CD level is great as it happens to be the best Sonic game.

when even the "top" route is the "hard slowdown Sonic with obstacles route" the level design fails.

CD has far too much of that going on.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Evil Eagle posted:

It's the most fun to learn and speedrun imo. None of the levels are slow when you know what you're doing. I was really into Sonic CD for a few months last year, I need to get back in to it and get my time down lower than this.

https://youtu.be/AI0v49VaEeA

The level design doesn't "fail", it's just way different than Sonic 2 and 3. It feels a lot more experimental which I guess explains why it's a love it or hate it game. For me it's far more interesting to play through than any of the others.

I acknowledge it's technically well made game and it's very possible and even satisfying to play it well, but it doesn't do the things I feel a classic Sonic level should. The skill ceiling is much higher, it's harder to consistently hold speed after attaining it, and the levels generally feel too "busy".

I acknowledge it's value at the very least, but the levels could use some streamlining for accessibility.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Augus posted:

I thought the idea was to alter the levels tho :confused:

well yeah, that's what I meant.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

Sega should let him write story for a game.

he's an artist

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Macaluso posted:

He wrote and drew his own comic called Diesel that I think has sold pretty well

I was not aware. My apologies.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I want another Riders that goes back to the air mechanics of the first game, personally.

First one had better tracks too.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Frankston posted:

Sandopolis is the worst level out of all the 16-bit games. (3D Blast not included)

Wacky Workbench

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm just glad that Sonic Mania is adding new characters in the form of the mini-bosses. They're not huge, new characters like the 3D games so they'll placate "Sonic has too many friends" types, while still being something fresh that adds to the universe. I was worried Mania would just be a nostalgia trip and not add anything significant.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/03/10/sonic-mania-shows-off-green-hill-zone-act-2-plus-brand-new-boss-heavy-gunner/

quote:

Additionally, Sega also shared some details on a new boss in Sonic Mania. Part of Eggman’s “Hard-Boiled Heavies” arsenal, the “Heavy Gunner” is armed with a rocket launcher and appears at the end of the Hollywood-inspired Studiopolis Act 1. This enemy is described as “a large, decorated robot who can take to the sky with his helicopter.”

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Because it's cool.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

hey

Sonic Triple Trouble is

passable

Look it has Nack in it

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Every joke with Knuckles is painful. I don't get why people like him. People were angry for years that Sega was making him too stupid, and then this stuff comes out where he can't tell left from right or even count and suddenly it's the funniest poo poo ever.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Knuckles has been an idiot in every generation so I'm not sure where this anger is coming from. Tricked by Robotnik in Sonic 3, AND in Sonic Adventure.

There's being gullible, and there's "stupidity is the only defining element of his character". And he was dumb, but not "every word out of his mouth is a confused non-sequitur" dumb.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's a one off comedic bit in a series of specials that's light hearted by design where he does other things. Not to mention, the primary joke is that Knuckles is short sighted and foolish, not simple.

You seem to think I'm against him being portrayed as unintelligent at all. That's not the case. The issue is that Boom Knuckles is nothing but this one joke, and that many of said jokes cross over into the realm of mocking the developmentally unintelligent (can't tell left from right, can't read, has trouble counting, poor sense of reality in general) as opposed to a character flaw where he has poor judgement like in the Archie comics, Sonic X, or the main series.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Leaning on the same naming conventions as Power Rangers is edgy?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean.

The second half of Sonic 3 & Knuckles' opener has Eggman setting Angel Island on fire. That's the first zone.

If this stuff is edgy, then the bad futures in Sonic CD are edgy. I don't see what's wrong with presenting Sonic as facing a legitimate threat. After the past three games have, honestly, defanged things by a wide margin, there's no harm in doing something that has a bit more teeth.

They don't need to be afraid of doing something that has a sense of consequence. You can still do relatively light hearted and present some DANGER. Toying with the doctor who tries to take over the world actually taking over the world isn't going to suddenly turn this into another Sonic 06.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Mar 17, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Honestly, my metric is "could they get away with this on an episode of Ninja Turtles? Yes? Okay then, if it's fine there, it's fine for Sonic."

I mean, even Mario games tell simpler stories with a sense of danger better than Pontac and Graff do. Those guys managed to tell a story where a monster who could collapse time and space had no presence or sense of danger at all.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Spiderdrake posted:

That's incredibly oversimplifying when and where Sonic's "edge" worked. Sonic origin is a little blue hedgehog with a pink girlfriend who jumps on ridiculous robots. The darkness in his best games was always environmental, not hulking green mutants armed with weapons pummeling a weird cult into submission.

They've never successfully brought him into your edgelord fantasies because he's not a very good character there.

I'm talking about in a general sense; what works so far as tone. I specified the cartoons because they're often times more brightly colored and meet a more general balance regarding light and dark tone than, say, their comic counterparts. I think saying that one concept regarding one franchise known for color coded anthropomorphic animals who make wisecracks known for taking on megalomaniacs and are known for being "xtreme" can get away with similar things as another isn't an unreasonable one.

As for Sonic in Forces, the actual level from the gameplay we've seen is a Spagonia-style vista that seems to give way to a Green Hill-esque wilderness, with the "edgiest" thing being all the fire, explosions, and Eggrobos. My earlier comparison to Sonic CD's bad futures or how S3&K set their Green Hill Zone equivalent on fire seems apt. It's hardly an oppressive, Sonic 06-looking concept.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

How can you not enjoy the Egg Viper?

GET A LOAD OF
GET A LOAD OF
GET A LOAD OF THIS

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgmXmyKtZOM

That missed red ring makes me so angry.

I'm liking the look of the new Egg Pawn/Egg Robo equivalents.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Knuckles was boring before they did that, though. like, the problem before was that they tried to have him kind of share Shadow's lane, and also have him be a hilarious idiot, and those two things clashed severely. now they've pretty much excised all the "edgy badass" poo poo from the character and just made him a big doofus, and it works way better.

I never really felt that Knuckles was in "Shadow's Lane"; it was more that they just flat out didn't do anything with him. Knuckles is best when he's treated as the third member of the main trio, the more serious and blunt character who's kind of thick to Tails' intelligence and youthful enthusiasm, and Sonic's freewheeling sense of adventure.

"Doofus Knuckles" has even less of a direction to go. He begins and ends with how much of an idiot he is, and doesn't show anything else. He's the easiest joke in the world to make and half of his material is cringeworthy - not in the same way Shadow's game's edgy teen fantasy shlock is, but cringeworthy in the sense that "I hope to god some kid who gets picked on for being held back on certain things isn't watching this".

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 17, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Boom!Amy is just as defined by her crush on Sonic as normal Amy. All Boom added was a token effort at making her more of what writers think a "strong female character" is while simultaneously making fun of her for it and for liking things like fanfiction.

Archie's under Ian Flynn remains the best version of the character.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I can't stand his Boom design to be honest. He looks simultaneously stretched out and somehow stuffed into a giant muscle suit to the point his head looks like it doesn't belong on his body. His dreads have gone from looking passable as quills to floppy tumors.

Honestly, the only Boom designs I think are successful at what they're trying to do are... well it's pretty much just Tails. Eggman would be good except he's not fat anymore.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I hope the Egg Prison miniboss is back.

And he has like. Chainsaws or something.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I will not abide anything being bad said about Perfect Chaos Phase 2 in this house.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

silhouettes of the other Hard Boiled Heavies.

one seems to be a ninja.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm not sure what you're trying to indicate there. A similar reveal roll out for some bosses doesn't really mean they'll be anything like the Deadly Six.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Sonic and Sally were never married. They hooked up for a while and then split up. Them being married was an alternate future thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

UK Amy sounds interesting, albeit also like a completely different character.

Shame about Sonic himself, who has kept me from reading those comics for years.

But Archie Amy shows you can write Amy as keeping her interest in Sonic and same overall character, while still being proactive, effective, and with distinct relationships like an actual respect and friendship with characters like Sally. That's what has her win over other adaptations in my book.