Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sonic Boom Fire and Ice is a 2.5D puzzle-platformer-metroidvania-action-comedy-murder-mystery-simulator that is a sequel to Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal. It's a direct copy of the gameplay from the first one except with a gimmick where you switch between fire and ice elements. Also Amy is playable this time or something. It's coming out September, 2016. Really, who gives a poo poo though? Scroll back up and go back to admiring the sleek sexiness that is Sonic Mania.

I think that's good enough :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sonic Lost World was more serious in a really schizophrenic way where the tone between scenes doesn't match in the slightest.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.

gently caress, that got too cool in my head, switching around hogs throughout the level, super massive thing, you think you've reached the goal but it's a time machine and now you gotta go back the way you came through an Eggmanland 2 that's still being built to stop Eggman before it all happens.

The last few Sonic games have had pretty lovely final levels. It would be nice to reverse the trend with this game.

Also reverse the trend of the games themselves being lovely, that'd be nice too.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It would be nice if they did an HD remake of Sonic Adventure that wasn't garbage.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Also Sonic Adventure is piss garbage but Sonic Adventure 2 is hella respectable
It's actually the other way around. Search your heart, you know it to be true.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this picture.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Sonic CD USA soundtrack is honestly so loving amazing

I honestly can't get into it, the JP soundtrack just seems better in every way.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I've been replaying it on my phone and switching between soundtracks. I like the JP one maybe a little better but they're both really excellent. Toot Toot Sanic Warrior is a better intro but Sonic boom is a better end movie song. Tidal Tempest present is amazing in both but I think the US one has a slight advantage. But Palmtree Panic is JP all the way.

Nice thing about playing Sonic CD nowadays is you don't have to limit yourself and can enjoy the excellent music in both versions and switch between them at will.

See, I think Tidal Tempest Present in USA is kinda really dull, while the JP one is amazing and atmospheric. Difference in taste I guess. Sonic Boom is great though.

Anatharon posted:

What is real anymore

Is this edited in any way

e: As in photoshop. I can tell there's no editor.

You could never edit the Ken Penders comics do be more stupid than they actually are.
What I wouldn't give to have been in the room when the guys at SEGA finally decided to take a look at what was going on in the Sonic Comics and saw the abyss stretching out before them

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 31, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don't like Battle Glacier at all but I quite like the final levels, final Serpentine, and the last phase of the final boss. :shrug:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zonekeeper posted:

Just found out about this, and it is extremely my poo poo. Taxman is a goddamned wizard.

Hopefully they'll finally port his Sonic 1 & 2 remakes over to Steam during the leadup to Mania's release so I can play them with a proper controller. :argh:

The fact that I can't yet play the Genesis Sonics on a real system with the sexy-smooth widescreen treatment that CD got annoys me to no end.
Mania should have a nice sampling platter of classic levels at least.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

this is hilarious

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Unable to control my latest bout of Sonic ManiaTM, I decided to drop a couple bucks on the iPhone port of Sonic 2.
Holy poo poo this feels good to play. It's so smooth. I don't think I could ever go back to the old versions of this game.

This is literally the first time I have ever enjoyed playing a game using a virtual d-pad.

Augus fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 2, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Don't forget the most important part about Mammoth Mogul

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Studipolis Orbinauts are probably the best incarnation of the enemy yet, you don't need to take damage to hit them or wait them out and they interact with Sonic's physics in a cool way.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sonic 1? Okay that ones kinda eh, nobody likes Marble Garden or Labyrinth. But 2, 3, CD, and And Knuckles are loving dope as gently caress and I will fight anyone who says otherwise

Shinjobi posted:

to be fair, she kisses him. he was totes unconscious

That's highly inappropriate

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

sharrrk posted:

marble garden is sonic 3, sonic 1 has marble zone.

Right, I meant Marble Zone

Also I think Daytime Unleashed is actually pretty drat bad. It's fun to look at, sure, but boy is it a snorefest to actually play.

Augus fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 6, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I just don't like how rigid the boost gameplay is, even at the best parts of Generations. Sonic is at it's best, I feel, when it gives you flexible and satisfying movement with a high skill ceiling and levels that are playgrounds filled with stuff to interact with using Sonic's momentum. Boosting just instantly accelerates you to a fixed speed, you don't need to do anything to build up to that, it feels cheap. And the level design is too segmented and narrow, you're always being funneled from one set piece to another and when there's an alternate route, you're always entering it from a single point. You can't use hills to perform sick jumps and land on top of setpieces instead of going through them or anything like that.

Generations made positive steps towards the more open-ended gameplay, like being able to jump on the level geometry in Chemical Plant that looks like it should be part of the background, but the boost gameplay is just too limited, Sonic's physics in these games just aren't built well for fun platforming, they're built for going in one direction and hopping over obstacles.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Again, Rooftop Run is really pretty and cool-looking but I'm not fond of the auto-runner type gameplay

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

wateyad posted:

I have a theory that the Generations classic Sonic physics are designed to match up with what someone who liked the old games as a child but hasn't really played them since and was never very good at them would remember them being like, which is kind of clever if it's what they were actually going for.

My theory is that they made Classic Sonic suck on purpose in order to make Modern Sonic seem better in comparison

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The level design for Generations Classic Sonic is pretty much the same as the level design for Unleashed's 2D sections. It doesn't really come close to the Genesis games at all. It's flat, you mostly just switch routes at pre-determined points, you still bonk on chains of enemies except without a homing attack now, the spin-dash automatically propels you at boost speeds, rolling without a spin-dash is useless, the jump is low and heavy just like Unleashed Sonic.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

beep by grandpa posted:

This will get me some flak for saying this but I think it's totally fair at this point to call games like these more like Freedom Planet than Sonic. Not joking. Sonic never had all these melee attacks, ranged attacks massively different character switches and mobility options and seems to be more combat focused, 2D Sonic just runs fast, rolls and jumps. I think Freedom Planet is its own distinct genre at this point. I need to play it one of these days.

One wonders how many more Sonic/Freedom Planet clones will start popping up if Sonic Mania is a huge success?

Freedom Planet is less a Sonic clone and more a mash-up of various SEGA classics that includes Sonic. It's an action-platform rather than a straight up platformer

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SRB2 is really cool but keep in mind it's also blatantly unfinished. I mean, they just now figured out how to put slopes in the thing. And the gap in level design quality between the levels that were made in 1998 and the ones made in 2014 is pretty blatant, the new levels are quite good while the oldest ones really show their age.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Amppelix posted:

Actually, in the latest build the only level that hasn't been updated somewhere in the latest decade is the very first one, which is supposed to be simple anyway.

I think it's quite finished, really. Sure, there's no slopes in the levels, but who cares? It's not like the game design suffers from it. Stairs work fine for elevation changes, and the levels are more focused on racetrack-like curves than slopes and momentum anyway.

Greenflower Act 1 is way too simple even by starting level standards, it's just a straight 30-second jog. Also it's ugly.
Castle Eggman 1 is still pretty bad, and the developers have said as much.
Arid Canyon Act 1 is still blatantly missing stuff and there's no act 2 or 3
Red Volcano has only 1 act
Egg Rock is a gigantic difficulty spike to a completely unreasonable degree, partly because there's supposed to be more zones before it.
The SRB1 remake hasn't been purged from the game's code yet

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The homing attack is a really crappy mechanic for 2D Sonic games.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I like how in Sonic 4 you'll get shot out of a cannon and then just stop dead in mid-air if you're not holding right.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hbomberguy posted:

25 years of sonic.

Sonic Adventure 2 was the first good one and then it was downhill from there.

I'll make you eat those words!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I've got a long plane ride coming up in a couple days and I could use some Sonic to keep myself busy. How are Rush Adventure and Colors DS? I remember hearing mixed to positive things about them, wasn't a huge fan of the original Sonic Rush though.

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 21, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Generations 3DS isn't offensively bad or anything but it is ridiculously mediocre and forgettable with the blandest level design ever. The bosses are pretty neat at least.

Lost World 3DS has some really lovely stuff in it on the other hand.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don't own Sonic games on PC but I do check up on the modding scene via YouTube.

I really liked the Modern Kingdom Valley mod that one guy was working on, too bad it's probably never gonna be finished.
I also like the mod that lets you play all of Eggmanland in Generations, with the werehog sections altered to work with Modern Sonic. Eggmanland is a really cool area that was probably the best part of Unleashed and is the most Classic Sonic thing to come out of Modern Sonic, it reminds of Bad Future Sonic CD in a lot of ways.

It's also interesting seeing people mod Lost World Sonic into actual three-dimensional environments without the weird-rear end gravity gimmick. It doesn't mesh perfectly well since the game isn't actually designed for these kind of locations but it kinda shows that Lost World's movement style wasn't an absolutely terrible idea, the game just got bogged down in too many random ideas without any polish. Sonic games really need to kick this rampant feature bloat they've been suffering from, it's probably the single thing that's dragged down the series the most over the past 16+ years. Hopefully they really are "rediscovering what made Sonic great" with Sonic Mania like they said they were in the original trailer, and use this to refine their approach to 3D games.

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 24, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Xad posted:

Well unfortunately probably not, because the guys making Sonic Mania aren't Sonic Team, who's working on whatever the 2017 game is.

They should pay attention and take notes though.
I don't think Sonic Team is 100% to blame for the issues with Sonic games either, and SEGA as a whole definitely shares the fault. A lot of things like the alternative gameplay styles and copying Mario Galaxy reek of corporate mandates to fit marketing fads, expand the game's demographic, and have some sort of "hook" to bring people in. Not to mention stuff like the Sonic 06 team getting cut in half in order to make Sonic and the Secret Rings.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Weirdly enough, Sonic and The Black Knight pretty much has a perfect plot for a Sonic game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I loving love it in Shadow the Hedgehog when the POTUS is in his office discussing a national emergency with his top general and then looks over at a framed photograph of two cartoon hedgehogs posing together that is standing on his desk.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The problem with Sandopolis isn't that it has too many gimmicks, it's that all of those gimmicks are slow and pointless and repeated over and over again. Woo, another block you push and then stand on. Woo, another auto-scroller with rising sand, oh boy.

Level gimmicks are different from "we're putting something extremely weird and out of place in our game in order to have a marketing hook" gimmicks.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

This is Knuckles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7Q4EVpIFIk

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stairmaster posted:

do you think sonic mania will be good? I don't remember the pc port guy doing that amazing a job of level design with his fan game.

Hidden Palace in the IOS version of Sonic 2 is pretty solid and Studiopolis looks really great.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I ended up getting Colors DS (couldn't find Rush Adventure anywhere) and found it quite enjoyable. Dunno if I'd say it's as good as the Wii version but it was simple fun and I found the level design a lot more fun than OG Rush. I also love Colors's music and world themes so that helped. Aquarium Park is so cool :3:

Running past alternate routes because you failed to react in a split second to them flying past at a million miles per hour and then getting dropped down past a point of no return is still annoying as poo poo though

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

This is a very cool and pretty take on Sonic CD's intro

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

People think SA2 is good because Sonic makes Shadow eat those words

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Green Hill Paradise Act 2 is far from perfect but as a proof of concept for 3D Classic Sonic level design it's pretty drat great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Spiderdrake posted:

I'm not really sure why Lost World needed to be bad in the way it is.

I'm not done it yet though, what is the generally regarded best level of the game?

It had good ideas but clearly had way too many designers who wanted to put different things in the game. The level design is totally all over the place, the game uses momentum for Sonic's movement except for when it doesn't, the wisps are in there with no explanation whatsoever, it's a mess.

The best level without a doubt is Sky Road Act 2.