Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

The gems of my collection. The Sonic gems collection, if you will.

Sonic 3 cover slip signed by Jun Senoue. In this game he did the gumball machine bonus stage music. You know how the music for the bonus stage goes way longer than you could actually stay in it? He was brought onto the project very late to fill in this small gap in the music.

Sonic 1 is signed by Shinya Arino, the Game Center CX Kachou, from when he did the San Francisco trip. We also exchanged business cards! :3:

Sonic Crackers reproduction cartridge. I couldn't settle on the Genesis cover or Mega Drive cover so I printed both. If you try to play the game on a real system it will crash on the title screen after a second due to an audio programming issue. You must start the game quickly, making level select or 2-player difficult.
I showed Jun Senoue Sonic Crackers on a PSP and he flipped out that the game was still in existence anywhere. He was very tight-lipped about my questions regarding it and Knuckles Chaotix. He demanded we take a picture together and I will make sure no one ever sees it because I am making the dumbest face. He also gave me a guitar pick with lives in the Sonic 3 box.

Thanks for reading!

That Sonic Crackers art is pretty rad. Where's it from?
Someone should make a Sonic Stadium (Sega's name for it) logo too, that'd be neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

They probably mean a new playable character for the third kind of gameplay after Classic and Modern.... Sonic Boom Sonic.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

While looking at the NicoNico 25th Anniversary stream for footage to use in a secret project I discovered there's a Sonic Cafe here in Japan. I could, in theory, go and drink "Experimental Solution from Tails' Lab" and eat "Shadow's Black Curry" and obtain a Sonic Drift 2 coaster. They also announced a Sonic Fan Thanksgiving event at Joypolis on Dec 23rd, so maybe I'll go there and get Iizuka to sign a Mario ad again.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

What Sega considers canon changes pretty regularly but currently it's pretty nonsensical. What little has been leaked from the current series bible is weird as hell, like Sonic's world and Earth (the one in the adventure games) being two separate worlds that Sonic can travel between through a gate like in Sonic X. The only way for something resembling "canon" to make sense is to just consider the current game and whatever other games it references it's own canon.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Rivals and DS Colours don't count due to being spinoffs and alternate versions respectively, while Generations is only loosely canon due to time travel related shenanigans. So any Silver appearances post-Sonic 06 don't count in my mind, and by god they'd better keep it that way.

The current head of the Sonic series wrote the story to the Rivals games and the official Japanese Sonic site recently added an Eggman Nega profile saying he's from the future. Sonic Runners references Colors DS too so I dunno, maybe Sonic Team considers that the definitive one.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Nov 2, 2016

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Zonekeeper posted:

I used to read sonic sprite comics in the early 2000s when I was a kid who just got the internet, and seeing one of the guys I used to read (Tyson "Rittz" Hesse) actually drawing official sonic comics 15 years later is great. :allears:

Same. When I was 11/12 Sonic Argh or whatever his comic was called was extremely my poo poo

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

That's just what that stage sounds like :confused:

No, it's what the actual stage song sounds like on ambien.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

Is the cartoon always this good? Because if it is, I'm in.

It has its ups and downs but it's usually better than it has any right to be.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

happy chanukkah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXm8wlIH0oY

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

beep by grandpa posted:

Watching that upset me.

Sonic fans just don't know what they want, do they

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlusXt0HqnM

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Transformed was amazing but I do feel like the generic, non-game-related items hurt it. Every one of them could have been something from a Sega game and there's no good reason why they aren't.
I want a sequel so bad though. A sequel with an Ecco level. And a playable Phantasy Star character. And Big.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

TFRazorsaw posted:

That's a one off comedic bit in a series of specials that's light hearted by design where he does other things. Not to mention, the primary joke is that Knuckles is short sighted and foolish, not simple.

You seem to think I'm against him being portrayed as unintelligent at all. That's not the case. The issue is that Boom Knuckles is nothing but this one joke, and that many of said jokes cross over into the realm of mocking the developmentally unintelligent (can't tell left from right, can't read, has trouble counting, poor sense of reality in general) as opposed to a character flaw where he has poor judgement like in the Archie comics, Sonic X, or the main series.

It's a different character, settle down beavis

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I hope the 3rd gameplay style is playing as Eggman (Eggmen?), Tron Bonne style.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Honestly, my metric is "could they get away with this on an episode of Ninja Turtles? Yes? Okay then, if it's fine there, it's fine for Sonic."

I mean, even Mario games tell simpler stories with a sense of danger better than Pontac and Graff do. Those guys managed to tell a story where a monster who could collapse time and space had no presence or sense of danger at all.

Their Eggman dialogue is ace though. The PA announcements in Colors were amazing.
I heard a rumor that Ian Flynn from the comics (and the forums!!) is writing the story this time around, which I hope is true.

By the way everyone, please help me out with my lovely version of Sonic Generations, thanks

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 17, 2017

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

sharrrk posted:

drat the song for this level rules. glad they're getting the guy who did the music for sonic runners back for this, his work deserved better than a canned mobile game

That's Tomoya Ohtani, who's been doing most of the main games' soundtracks since 2006. He's got a lot of range. He did the songs for the Knuckles levels in SA2, too! Crisis City, Rooftop Run, all of Sonic Lost World and Sonic Runners, and Pumpkin Hill... all the same dude.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

There's a difference between a dude with a 'tude and "Jesus Christ, what crawled up your rear end?" and British rear end in a top hat Sonic is more the latter.

Anyway, speaking of questionable Pumpkin Hill renditions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB_113RWi9s

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Chieves posted:

One act too many, though. :(

Act 3 was gonna be its own level originally, but they ran out of time.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams was SA3, complete with a chao garden.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbTuoOCeQB8

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It's actually Dr. Badvibes, now shut up all of you

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

TFRazorsaw posted:

The best argument for Eggman over Robotnik is that "Eggman" has a bitching theme song and "Robotnik" doesn't.

Robotnik has Long John Baldry's entire discography tho

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

TFRazorsaw posted:

Not the same thing to be honest. If he didn't sing as Robotnik it doesn't count.
Hmmm no actually it's exactly the same

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yes, I realize Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine exists, but that doesn't really count because it's just Puyo Puyo. That said, Puyo Puyo is great.

I've been playing the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo on Switch with my friend a lot, and he asked if I played Puyo Puyo as a kid. (I should probably clarify at this point that this is in Japan and he's Japanese) Explaining Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine was hard. The basic exchange was something like:

Me: So you know Sonic the Hedgehog?
Him: That Sega character?
Me: Yeah. So the villain's name is Dr. Eggman
Him: Right.
Me: Except in the west, he used to be called Dr. Robotnik.
Him: Dr...What?
Me: In the US they changed the graphics to be about him and his factory where he turns the Puyos into robots, but the Puyos are called beans. It was called Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Him: What the gently caress is wrong with you people

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

Amazing. Is that a romhack or something else?

Definitely not a rom hack, nor real

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Same except it's just Antoine and he's still a lovely French stereotype

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Every Dimps Sonic game pre-Sonic 4 was average at the very worst. I'm sorry but that's canon.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

wait what happened to pso2 it was fun a couple years ago

It's still really fun, but it went crazy and the story cranked the anime up to 11. You can fight phantom clown zombies and the Statue of Liberty riding on the Sphinx in alternate dimension Las Vegas now while the Daytona guy sings in engrish in the background. Wearing the Godzilla suit is optional but encouraged

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 10, 2017

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

Post the Daytona guy song please.

Sorry I apparently completely misremembered somehow.
The Las Vegas bgm is the guy who sang the Sonic and the Secret Rings music.

Here's your boy singing Jingle Bells as an apology:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYHKtumvza0

Don't worry he's physically inside of the game too, don't click this though it's too Japanese

To bring it back around to the thread's topic, here's his track from the official Sonic CD remix album from like 1993 or something
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osS8xrJ-pcc

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

You'll get Splash Hill again and you'll loving like it.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

A Sonic themed cafe opened up recently in Japan (similar to the recent kirby one, pokemon etc). It has the usual stuff you'd expect from some sonic themed eats but uh, there's also Shadow the Hedgehog Cheese.
That was last year, and there were two different ones. There were even posts in the thread about it! I ate at both, of course. My biggest regret is not eating the exact replica of the ice cream sundae Chip eats in Sonic Unleashed. It was like 45 degrees outside so I had the Sonic Mania pancakes instead. I guess I also kinda regret not trying the Chili Dog at the first Sonic Cafe, but I've never had one and figured Japan, which generally doesn't even have them, wouldn't be the best place to start.

Ventana posted:

Does it have a cool soundtrack like the Kirby Cafe did?

No, just tracks from the games. They seemed to just be playing Amy's theme on loop when I went though. The second cafe didn't have any music as far as I can remember, probably because it shared some of its space with the Pen Pineapple Apple Pen cafe.

Pics: http://imgur.com/a/EKxdx

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 17, 2017

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What in the hell is that PPAP café about?

I accidentally uploaded that picture along with the others, but it's based on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFlgNoUsr4k

It's basically just a youtube video that became so popular in Japan that it gets merchandise and the guy's career has skyrocketed. If I never hear it again it will be too soon.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Oh huh, my bad then!

Kinda fun reading about these cafe's but the sonic one sounds slightly phoned in :v: Would still like to check it out though.

Honestly, they're mostly like that. Certain cafes or sweets buffets do these promotions and alternate franchises every few months. They're fun for fans and have free goodies, but they aren't full blown cafes. Though some definitely do put more effort in than others. The PSO2 cafe had some neat stuff when I went. The Kirby one sounded pretty great though! It might have been more along the lines of what you were expecting.

There are some actual dedicated cafes for some franchises though, like Gundam, One Piece, and Monster Hunter (I think). Those are awesome! The "Square Enix Cafe" serves their own fancy food that has nothing to do with their products, but their store in Shinjku has a cafe with FF drinks and food. Odd.

Anyway, Snoic Generatons officially has a character creator now

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 17, 2017

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

Pretty sure they confirmed no Sonic CD levels, I remember being disappointed.

Also it was rated for most platforms by the ESRB which is being argued as a sign the game is "soon". I dunno, still personally betting mid-August.

Really? I seem to remember Taxman posting that they were including Sonic 1, 2, 3, Knuckles, and CD levels.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

beep by grandpa posted:

Hey all hope your all having a great weekend, I was talking about Sonic with some friends just now discussing eggman vs robotnik and I had a great joke as a pro-robotnik:

Momma didn't raise no egg man :c00l:

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 28, 2017

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I'm glad that the 123KM elevator buttons part of the trailer confirmed something I've been suspecting for a long time: Sonic Mania is the true sequel to Sonic Kolors.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

Sonic Generations was good.
Sonic Mania will also be good.

Preach it, brother!

Also I'm calling that the cathedral-looking level in that one image is Stardust Speedway act 2. It's in one of the cathedrals in the background, at daytime. Who wants to make an avatar bet with me

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I first played Chaotix on an emulator over a couple of days while I was sick with a fever. I feel like that's how it's meant to be enjoyed.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Counterpoint: Sonic Labyrinth

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

How come no one ever talks about the biggest plot hole in 2006: If Elise had the blue emerald for the past ten years, how did any of the other games happen?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The only Scourge comics I read (unless you count when he was evil Sonic back in the 90s) was the arc where he gets sent to interdimensional prison and gets bullied by an evil Big the Cat named Smalls. Also he teams up with the lovely "Fearsome Foursome" villains that I think only appeared way back when I read the comic in elementary school, and they were actually cool. Ian Flynn made the comics really good and while I didn't really keep up with them, I'm still sad that they're probably cancelled.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

beep by grandpa posted:

Thinking about sonic today

Sonic just told me he was thinking about you too (He's sitting right next to me right now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Pigbuster posted:

The worst thing about Sonic Mania I've seen so far is that speed shoes have a separate power up theme rather than just speeding up the BGM. I hope that's just temporary since the soundtrack isn't finalized, I hate power up themes.

Why would it be temporary? I mean they made a whole new track, why would you even think that