Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I liked Classic Sonic City Escape with the rad skateboards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

You know, when Nintendo fans do anything with their fandom, Nintendo gives them a cease and desist and threatens them with a lawsuit. When Sega fans do this stuff, Sega is like "hey I like that, let's give these people a job." Sega is in fact way cooler than Nintendo.

I feel like my arguments on the playground during recess in elementary school have finally been justified.

yeah, how about that Streets of Rage remake

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

can't wait for the Boycott Sonic Mania!! steam group that shows every single member playing Sonic Mania on the 29th

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Please let it be a Midnight EST game on Switch. :pray:

Sega plz

Nintendo plz

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

I love the way the remixed levels include a lot of elements from other levels they didn't use. They almost all feel like a logical mash-up of 2 or 3 similarly themed zones.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Pro tip for emerald hunters: There is a ring in Studiopolis Act 1 that you can get to in less than 20 seconds. Just keep going forward, down the ramp, and then up the wall next to 2 spinning half circles of bumpers. Double back all the way over those (you'll need to bounce off the top one if you're solo Sonic) go down the ramp and there's your ring! I got it down to like 17 or 18 seconds after a bit.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/Eukaryot3K/status/1114536007058296832

This is a 16:9 Sonic 3k conversion. It requires the steam version to work properly.

I gave this a try, very cool. Automatically recognized my controller and has tons of little QOL options.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

S3&K special stages ultimately come down to memorization too. You can just kind of bumble around a lot of them and succeed but there are those last few that are pretty much on rails and require perfect execution. I'd put the Sonic 2 and S3&K stages about even and they're both way better than the ones in Sonic 1 and CD.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

ArfJason posted:

that looks surprisingly decent

honestly the one mod i want above all is to take out the loving obnoxious filtering on music when boosting. i remember like 6 years ago trying to mod it out of pc generations and never managing to

that and turning up the volume on the Eggman PA announcements, they're funny but you can barely hear them in the Wii version

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Beasteh posted:

running on those big metal nuts

Twerk from Home posted:

the big nuts are another momentum-based challenge

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

ArfJason posted:

the only reason id like a mania 2 would be to see them make all the stages original. studiopolis press garden mirage saloon and titanic monarch were sick as gently caress

I liked the way the retro stages pulled in a bunch of elements from similar stages such as Oil Ocean having stuff from Sandopolis etc, I'd be fine with 50/50 if they kept doing that

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

wow, way more footage than the dragon quest 12 trailer!

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I've been doing a lot of image fixing up lately and I remembered all those neat Sonic walls from the old screensaver, so I tossed them through the process to remove the dithers and then threw them in an upscaler for good measure. Upscale's not perfect close up in some cases where there were some odd texturings, but it looks pretty nice most of the time if anyone wants a good ol' classic wallpaper.

this is incredible, thank you for doing this

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

In like third grade my friend wrote Sega a letter asking how to get past the barrel and they sent back a whole packet of tips and tricks, we thought that was pretty cool.

blackguy32 posted:

For me, Sonic games was one of the first games to tell a story through "cutscenes"

Like the part where you grabbed onto Robotnik's spaceship and fly to the death egg was awesome back in the day.

Sonic 2 was the first game I ever beat on my own and finally getting to that part for the first time was some epic poo poo. And then realizing they wanted me to beat 2 bosses in a row with no rings...a truly formative Gamer Moment...

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

tell me it's 2005 without telling me it's 2005

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/alecrobbins/status/1506384223095050246?s=20&t=As3ay_uEhUSdcl08AyoEGQ
gotta agree with alec here, absolutely iconic

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

In a perfect world Sonic 3 would let you choose the beta/actual music like how the Whitehead CD port lets you choose the japanese/english music

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

I just wish the world looked a little more…Sonic style rather than just straight up BOTW. Who knows though, it’s only 30 seconds of one area, I’ll wait to see more. Looks pretty solid though

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

this music whips rear end

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

It’s also confirmed that Jun Senoue is the lead composer and “focused on making it sound like a classic game.” Maybe those boss themes aren’t placeholders after all.
He’s working with internal Sega composers and external ones like Tee Lopes, so… maybe some of the soundtrack will be good?

Stairmaster posted:

its so over

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

it's so close...the gameplay and level design are there but the music is a grab bag and the aesthetics are pretty boring. levels in the genesis games felt like little worlds stretching out forever into the background and it seems like most subsequent attempts at 2D sonic never quite get this right. the visuals here are nice enough, they're just kind of safe and uninspired

another thing post-genesis 2d sonics never seem to get quite right is bosses. the ones here, like the rest of the game, are so close. they have good designs and gimmicks but classic sonic bosses need to let you wail on them, none of this one hit at a time bullshit. if I can reach eggman's pod then let me cook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Hayden Christensen would be absolutely perfect for Shadow