Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i like donuts with a little glaze on top. not too much though. maybe a little apple cider in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

I Own Soulz posted:

So I had a flat tire and was driving on the donut. It says max of 50mph and I had a 50 mile commute so I didn't want to push it. I ended up in an area where the limit was 55 and traffic was 60-65. So I ended up putting my hazards on so I didn't piss people off who ended up behind me and could pass.

Acceptable use of hazards or no?

Completely acceptable. The operating condition of your car was compromised and that alerts those around you to that fact.

People turning them on in bad weather just lets everyone know that the operating condition of their brain is compromised.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

wuffles posted:

Completely acceptable. The operating condition of your car was compromised and that alerts those around you to that fact.

People turning them on in bad weather just lets everyone know that the operating condition of their brain is compromised.

just smdh at you, "wuffles".

s.
m.
d.
h.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Driving with them on in Florida rain makes sense. Have you guys never driven in a Florida rainshower? You can barely make out anything at all, but the flashing hazards (in addition to your taillights that should also be on) help.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

How about driving 30 more feet and parking instead of holding the rest of us up with your blinker on waiting for a family of 8 to shamble into their poo poo wagon parked in the compact space? Why do people hate walking? You're at a mall, where you're going to walk around anyway.

also gently caress lane change ninjas for making me hit my brakes

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

revmoo posted:

Driving with them on in Florida rain makes sense. Have you guys never driven in a Florida rainshower? You can barely make out anything at all, but the flashing hazards (in addition to your taillights that should also be on) help.

We already had this discussion, it's apparently still "dangerous", because the law says so.

It annoys me when people say to "just pull over" because this can be dangerous too - sometimes it's even hard to make out the lane lines so you basically just stay behind the lights in front of you and hope you're getting it right. If someone is on the shoulder with their lights on there's a risk someone might drift over there and go off the road. Also who has time for that, as long as you do what everyone else is doing you'll be fine.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

paul_soccer10 posted:

a guy put his 4ways on even though i was keeping like 4 carlengths away just because i drove up to him fast

is putting your 4 ways on a a well known car code for gently caress off or "i dont know what im doing please leave me alone"

I simply slow down to the speed limit when people like you come from behind. :shrug:

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

One time I was going 100 in a 55 and I just got a warning.

Another time I rolled through a right turn at a red light, warning.

Last week I was going 80 in a 45, with expired tags. Warning.

I don't know why people hate cops, they are cool, patient, understanding dudes.

Also, being white owns

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Traxis posted:

One time I was going 100 in a 55 and I just got a warning.

Another time I rolled through a right turn at a red light, warning.

Last week I was going 80 in a 45, with expired tags. Warning.

I don't know why people hate cops, they are cool, patient, understanding dudes.

are you whi--

Traxis posted:

Also, being white owns

ah, yeah, ok, makes sense

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Moridin920 posted:

so if you get stuck behind every single light, that's an extra 10 minutes. you said more than so alright, 12.

so instead of just leaving 5-10 minutes earlier, you choose instead to speed and swerve through morning traffic when people are groggy and unalert

If you're a good enough driver you know what everyone is going to do before they even know and don't have to dangerously swerve through traffic :smug:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

rgocs posted:

I'm confused. You get mad with people using their hazards incorrectly because it's dangerous and illegal. But you want people to disregard speed limits which could be dangerous and is illegal?

Benefit of turning on your hazards so you think you can now safely drive in a hurricane: none

Benefit of speeding: you take slack out of traffic and do your part in keeping everyone moving

Negatives of turning on hazards: can no longer use turn signal, removes your ability to signal actual hazards, dilutes meaning of hazards to others

Negatives of speeding: marginally increased chance of crashing if you are old or are driving a piece of poo poo or are stupid

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Murphy Brownback posted:

We already had this discussion, it's apparently still "dangerous", because the law says so.

It annoys me when people say to "just pull over" because this can be dangerous too - sometimes it's even hard to make out the lane lines so you basically just stay behind the lights in front of you and hope you're getting it right. If someone is on the shoulder with their lights on there's a risk someone might drift over there and go off the road. Also who has time for that, as long as you do what everyone else is doing you'll be fine.

Someone should take your license away, you're like an eighty year old woman in a goons body.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

doctorfrog posted:

How about driving 30 more feet and parking instead of holding the rest of us up with your blinker on waiting for a family of 8 to shamble into their poo poo wagon parked in the compact space? Why do people hate walking? You're at a mall, where you're going to walk around anyway.

also gently caress lane change ninjas for making me hit my brakes

I've started just parking far away without even looking for a closer spot. I don't even care about the walking, for me it's a question of time - if I'm faffing around waiting for the perfect spot when I could have just parked a 20 second walk away to begin with then gently caress it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

Someone should take your license away, you're like an eighty year old woman in a goons body.

Alright overly-sensitive-about-hazard-lights guy. I haven't gotten a ticket since I was 16 or been pulled over for anything other than a burned out taillight a few years ago.

Have you stopped to consider that maybe you're the weird one

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I Own Soulz posted:

If you're a good enough driver you know what everyone is going to do before they even know and don't have to dangerously swerve through traffic :smug:

That requires humans to be rational actors, which they aren't. You can't predict the movements of a non-rational actor, no matter how Mario Andretti you think you are.

So that means that everyone else has to constantly be watching themselves around you, because you drive like you assume everyone will be paying attention and know to be careful around you. Until one day, someone is eating a burger and looking down bc their phone buzzed and it'll be too late for them to brake or whatever and you'll cause an accident because you thought they'd do X and they did Y instead.

If you ever put yourself in a position where you are relying on other people to not crash into you, you're not a good driver. It means you're not in control of the situation. And to justify that by thinking you can predict everything so it doesn't matter is delusion.

I mean look if someone is just being a slow gently caress then pass them but you made it sound like you're ripping past everyone else on the morning commute and changing lanes constantly.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

A Floridian posted:

Have you stopped to consider that maybe you're the weird one

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If your car isn't damaged somehow or you don't need to make something known to other drivers that only you're aware of you shouldn't have your hazards on. If it's just bad weather and everyone has their hazards on because of it then you're all a bunch of morons. That's what the head/tail lights and fog lights are for.

And then how do you signal that you're turning in any coherent way? It's like in the Philippines where sirens aren't illegal so half the cars have a siren on them during traffic and now sirens are meaningless there.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

If your car isn't damaged somehow or you don't need to make something known to other drivers that only you're aware of you shouldn't have your hazards on. If it's just bad weather and everyone has their hazards on because of it then you're all a bunch of morons. That's what the head/tail lights and fog lights are for.

We loving get it, the by-the-books usage indication for hazard lights is what you and the sheep goat guy have been saying over and over, but if you'd ever been in the situation you'd know that sometimes, they can serve a non-traditional/strictly-legal purpose.

Also floridians are much better drivers than the lunatics I had to deal with in california.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Sheep-Goats posted:

Benefit of speeding: you take slack out of traffic and do your part in keeping everyone moving

Except, not really. In a 70mph two lane road, right lane going at 65mph, passing lane going at 75mph. You wanting to go at 85mph expect the "autists" passing at 75mph to get out of your way and cram into the lane going at 65mph. As you pass, everyone else has to deal with changing to their original positions. How is this helping traffic for everyone other than yourself?

Sheep-Goats posted:

Negatives of speeding: marginally increased chance of crashing if you are old or are driving a piece of poo poo or are stupid

Except you're making everyone else around you tense because you end up figuratively pushing people to the other lanes to make way for you. And most people that speed are not subtle about it, not everyone can handle the stress of having someone inches behind their car going at high speed.

Edit: unless tailgaters fall into your "are stupid" category, then I may agree more with you.

rgocs fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 28, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

rgocs posted:

Except, not really. In a 70mph two lane road, right lane going at 65mph, passing lane going at 75mph. You wanting to go at 85mph expect the "autists" passing at 75mph to get out of your way and cram into the lane going at 65mph. As you pass, everyone else has to deal with changing to their original positions. How is this helping traffic for everyone other than yourself?

Except you're making everyone else around you tense because you end up figuratively pushing people to the other lanes to make way for you. And most people that speed are not subtle about it, not everyone can handle the stress of having someone inches behind their car going at high speed.

Except nothing dweeb. The first point you're asking about is obvious and you know it, you're just being dense.

"Not everyone can handle the stress?" What's your point? A seizure disorder shouldn't be the only medical problem that keeps someone from being unable to hold a license.

raton fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 28, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Murphy Brownback posted:

Also floridians are much better drivers than the lunatics I had to deal with in california.

looooooool

"I like the way these octogenarians, hillbilly rapists and uninsured island people do things."

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

looooooool

"I like the way these octogenarians, hillbilly rapists and uninsured island people do things."

Try driving from San Jose to Santa Cruz on the main highway and not the coastal highway during rush hour and try and tell me californians are good drivers.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Sheep-Goats posted:

Except nothing dweeb. The first point you're asking about is obvious and you know it, you're just being dense.

"Not everyone can handle the stress?" What's your point? A seizure disorder shouldn't be the only medical problem that keeps someone from being unable to hold a license.

I used to think you were a cool dude, sheep man. I was wrong.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Murphy Brownback posted:

Try driving from San Jose to Santa Cruz on the main highway and not the coastal highway during rush hour and try and tell me californians are good drivers.

How come you keep trying to challenge me with stupid anecdotes about poo poo I've already done and had no trouble with?

Californians are dumb hicks for the most part (but vegetarian) but they do drive better on average than almost any other state.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The Bananana posted:

I used to think you were a cool dude, sheep man. I was wrong.

Easy pal

Easy

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

How come you keep trying to challenge me with stupid anecdotes about poo poo I've already done and had no trouble with?

Californians are dumb hicks for the most part (but vegetarian) but they do drive better on average than almost any other state.

Well I just thought I'd join in on pulling things out of my rear end to justify my arguments. If you'd driven in Florida regularly you'd know the real problem on the roads isn't the olds or the uninsured or the rednecks it's the soccer moms in minivans and college kids.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Sheep-Goats posted:

Yeah, I thought our drivers were bad until I went to Salt Lake. The whole drive there and every state between Cali and Utah was full of the worst drivers I've ever seen.

There were also people driving with their hazards on in the mountains and during light snowing in Utah.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ0xBCwkg3E

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nazzadan posted:

Yeah, I thought our drivers were bad until I went to Salt Lake. The whole drive there and every state between Cali and Utah was full of the worst drivers I've ever seen.

There were also people driving with their hazards on in the mountains and during light snowing in Utah.

IMO Oregon is the very worst. It's like a brain damage parade where everyone's got The Fear.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Sheep-Goats posted:

It is obvious yeah. It is obvious to me that your need4speed gets trumped by everyone else's safety and that as long as there are cars being passed a high enough speed differential, you're not getting through.

Framing your speeding as a service to the community is a bit over the top. Like you should be getting medals instead of speeding tickets.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Now who's being dense?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to pass all of the sadbrains itt and pull them out of their car menacingly

Khorne
May 1, 2002

rgocs posted:

It is obvious yeah. It is obvious to me that your need4speed gets trumped by everyone else's safety and that as long as there are cars being passed a high enough speed differential, you're not getting through.

Framing your speeding as a service to the community is a bit over the top. Like you should be getting medals instead of speeding tickets.
Speed limits are set artificially low. If this were not true you'd have a point. Even things like off-ramps have artificially low speed limits.

I don't tailgate, I do pass the pacemakers doing 55-65 in a 65 while traffic flows at 80 in every other lane and in front of them. If traffic is flowing at 65 then I do 65 because you aren't going to pass 3-5 lane traffic doing a speed.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 28, 2016

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

reallivedinosaur posted:

no you arent supposed to put your 4 ways on if you are moving, they are to indicate that your vehicle is not moving and is a hazard

Police once asked me to turn mine on as my taillights seemed to not be working.
Still had 10 miles to go to get home, no ticket.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I get in the left lane and set cruise control to 5mph over the limit (so either 75 or 85) and stay the course. If someone wants to come up flashing their lights and honking, they can kindly place my dick in their mouth and pleasure me. I have no incentive to move and they're not going to hit me from behind. Besides, if they go faster then they're breaking the law by speeding and if I move over to enable then to speed, then I'm an accessory.

I've had one dude freak out, lay on the horn, flip me off while speeding away, and then a few minutes later I pull up at a stoplight behind him. I honked as the light turned green. It felt good until we pulled into the same apartment complex. Now I exit on the other side of the complex.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Khorne posted:

Speed limits are set artificially low. If this were not true you'd have a point.

I agree about the speed limits being artificially low. However, in this scenario it's not really about the speed limit. If everyone else is going at their lane's constant speed, and one guy is speeding. The speeding guy is in the wrong and he is the one putting everyone else at risk. Framing it around the speed limit was just to avoid others going "hurr hurr if you can't handle the speed limit get off the highway".

You added this:

Khorne posted:

I don't tailgate, I do pass the pacemakers doing 55-65 in a 65 while traffic flows at 80 in every other lane and in front of them. If traffic is flowing at 65 then I do 65 because you aren't going to pass 3-5 lane traffic doing a speed.

:agreed: I'm fine with this, and I do quite the same. However, others in this thread have implied that no, even if all traffic is flowing at 65, everyone else is expected to get out of their way because THEY WANT TO GO FASTER!

rgocs fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 28, 2016

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

I like to cut off and hold back people who try to zoom ahead of the line approaching merge points.
Discuss.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib

Richard M Nixon posted:

I get in the left lane and set cruise control to 5mph over the limit (so either 75 or 85) and stay the course. If someone wants to come up flashing their lights and honking, they can kindly place my dick in their mouth and pleasure me. I have no incentive to move and they're not going to hit me from behind. Besides, if they go faster then they're breaking the law by speeding and if I move over to enable then to speed, then I'm an accessory.

I've had one dude freak out, lay on the horn, flip me off while speeding away, and then a few minutes later I pull up at a stoplight behind him. I honked as the light turned green. It felt good until we pulled into the same apartment complex. Now I exit on the other side of the complex.
Holy poo poo. An accessory?
If some one wants to go faster then you then move over to the right. Its called a passing lane not the "Cruising at 5mph over the limit" lane.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

shoophobo posted:

Holy poo poo. An accessory?
If some one wants to go faster then you then move over to the right. Its called a passing lane not the "Cruising at 5mph over the limit" lane.

Yeah, cruising in the passing lane at a constant speed just because, is dumb. However, what if you're already passing in the passing lane but someone is not happy at your passing speed because they want to PASS FASTER!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
gently caress tailgaters

*drives a tank on the highway*

• Locked thread