Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hired_Sellout
Aug 16, 2010
My conundrum is thus: I walk to work and I have a 11-year-old Jeep Wrangler that my local craigslist posts tell me is somehow worth between $11- and $15,000. I bought it for $24k new in '05 so the figure surprised me. I'm wondering if I should sell it and have my wife and I be a 1-car household for a while. The sale proceeds would go toward our house down payment fund

Pro's to selling -
1. it will only depreciate further
2. it's worth quite a bit more than I thought it would be
3. I have no real need of a car. work, groceries, hospital, entertainment are all in walking distance.
4. I'll save close to a thousand bucks on insurance and gas over the next year.
5. recently it's been a bit of a maintenance hog - transmission ($4k) 2 years ago and suspension work ($1.5k) last month
6 Wife wants another 4-door for when we have children, so the Jeep will be on its way out soon anyhow.

Con's to selling -
1. it's a paid off car with a clean title that runs beautifully
2. upkeep is entirely affordable
3. I have a free garage at work to park it in
4. it'd better for hauling stuff than our other vehicle, a sporty 4-door hatchback
5. if we find a house we love that requires us both to commute again, I'm back to square 1
6. our hatchback isn't 4wd/awd whereas the Jeep is. It can snow quite a lot here

What should I do BFC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hired_Sellout
Aug 16, 2010
I have fantasized about dropping a diesel into it, but that's probably unfeasible.

To me it's a time value of money question - do I sell, then regret it in a year when my apartment complex takes my rent up 20% and I have to move?

Hired_Sellout
Aug 16, 2010
Not high unless we find a steal of a deal on a house. We may move to a different, cheaper, unit in the same apartment complex once the special rate we got goes away. I think it makes sense to sell, I'm just trying to cover bases by asking you guys if there are any obvious holes in the plan. Seems like there aren't.

Hired_Sellout
Aug 16, 2010

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Do not sell that Wrangler. You'll regret it, I promise.

[A LOT MORE WORDS]

But, I wish I still had that Jeep Wrangler. It was fuckin' sweet.

drat bro. I think you'e got a little bit more of an emotional investment in your wrangler than I do.

• Locked thread