Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
but there was the Obama doctrine article a few months ago that was pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
By the way, how's their video game journalism?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
is the atlantic the one that keeps running articles making excuses for pedophiles? or is that salon

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
oh I do remembr that the atlantic had the retarded wet fart calling the arab spring the twitter revolution, which turnted out to be bullshit.

and before that, they ran some stupid articles about columbine by dave cullen that also turned out to be poorly researched bullshit

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know what any of those things are

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

dad gay. so what posted:

The Atlantic is an ocean and I thing a huffington post is a post for people who huff a lot like when they're out shopping with their wives they can stand by the post and huff.

Highbrow is like an eyebrow but on top.

Mushroom Zingdom
Jan 28, 2007
Nap Ghost
N+1 is my suggestion for good content

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

the baffler is like the atlantic but good

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Mange Mite posted:

is the atlantic the one that keeps running articles making excuses for pedophiles? or is that salon
neither, what are you talking about?

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Prettz posted:

neither, what are you talking about?
http://www.salon.com/2015/09/21/im_a_pedophile_but_not_a_monster/
http://www.salon.com/2015/09/30/im_a_pedophile_youre_the_monsters_my_week_inside_the_vile_right_wing_hate_machine/

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

that's one article

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Prettz posted:

that's one article

and aatrek only raped one kid

also theres definitely two articles in that post

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dad gay. so what posted:

hmm

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

dad gay. so what posted:

this is a good thing

keep on keepin on dgsw

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
MAD Magazine hasn't diminished in journalistic integrity. They remain the most respected publication amoung 12 year olds.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
they should do Spy v Spy but as Trump v Clinton imo

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

yeah but also Salon publishes stuff like this which honestly is hilarious:

http://www.salon.com/2013/04/23/pictures_of_people_who_mock_me/

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

City of Tampa posted:

whatever you do dont send those pictures to jastiger he might just jizz his pants

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

H.H posted:

unironically this.

I can't count the number of times I've heard a report of a news event and went to GBS to find the relevant thread.
The trick is to read only the first few pages, before it inevitably deteriorates into a retarded slapfight over semantics and/or unresolvable political viewpoints expressed with the dumbest talking points this side of Bill O'Reilly.

Give Vice a whirl OP, it's the closest thing to GBS News:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpyCl1Qm6Xs

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
VICE has some honestly really good poo poo like their ISIS stuff and some of their other global news coverage but then they have some utterly retarded poo poo like hippies on drugs talking about energy fields and poo poo as explained by a hipster kid who clearly doesn't want to be there.

so yeah, GBS

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

About a month or two before I cancelled my subscription.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

City of Tampa posted:

:shepface:

quote:

My struggle with my body started after I graduated high school. I played soccer my whole life, sometimes three teams at one time. I never thought about “exercising.” I just ran around, knocked people over and kicked the ball hard. When I started college, there was no more soccer and my weight ballooned from a size 7 to a size 14 in weeks.

Eventually, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Though I did go through phases of food restriction and over-exercise, I came to realize that I shouldn’t punish myself for something I can’t control. Self-criticism is a waste of time. I look worse with tons of make up and products in my hair. I am happy when I am not stressed — so I don’t stress.

That doesn’t mean the world is comfortable with how I look. Even though I’m a college professor, who works 12-hour days and eats healthy, even though I have none of the diseases constantly reported in the media as linked to obesity, I’m up against quite a few stereotypes as an overweight blond female artist. I’m constantly fighting strangers’ criticisms that I am lazy and slow-witted, or that I am an overly emotional slob.

:shepface::shepface:

quote:

I do not know what the strangers are thinking when they look at me. But there is a Henri Cartier-Bresson moment when my action aligns with the composition, the shutter and their gaze that has a critical or questioning element.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

salon is certainly the greatest combination of important news and retarded bullshit

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures
I can't read any of the left leaning websites anymore because of stupid poo poo, I guess I don't "get it." I'm going back to my local communist party zine for my important news!

Vox is probably the worst. They should stick with making my guitar pedals, cause their magazine is like all the worst parts of vice without anything cool or good.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
http://www.salon.com/2014/11/13/capturing_a_strangers_sneer_what_happened_when_i_put_on_spandex/

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Know what I've been to Venice Beach many many times and an overweight white lady taking photos is prolly the least outlandish thing there so I'ma have to say she's kinda seeing something that isn't there imo. Like yeah alright that kid has a weird sneer look on his face but maybe that was just that frame? That old lady at the airport just looks like that's her normal face.

Plus when you're taking photos of yourself posing people tend to look idk

last time I was in Venice there was a black dude wearing a grass skirt holding a spear and standing in front of a grass hut thing and I asked him what was up and he said 'oh you know just out scarin' the white folk'

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
You're all part of my social experiment!! I am the true puppetmaster!

quote:

On the other hand, the anonymous commenters who criticize every inch of my physical appearance make me laugh. I mean, laugh hard. There are blogs dedicated to how ugly I am and how much weight I would lose if I would stop wasting time taking photographs. It cracks me up to think those people think I would care what they say. I don’t care what anyone thinks about my body and the way I look; especially people who waste their time writing comments to feed other commenters. I love the way I look and reading the critical comments fuels me to take more photos. Don’t those people realize? They’re just bolstering my project.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
idk that you can simultaneously not care about X and use X as fuel for your project

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Lucky, I don't have any blogs dedicated to me

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
My project

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

She keeps saying that she has hypothyroidism, but isn't that pretty readily treatable with pills?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainSarcastic posted:

She keeps saying that she has hypothyroidism, but isn't that pretty readily treatable with pills?

quote:

The good news is that accurate thyroid function tests are available to diagnose hypothyroidism, and treatment of hypothyroidism with synthetic thyroid hormone is usually simple, safe and effective once you and your doctor find the right dose for you

:shrug:

Imo it was bullshit as soon as she said she ballooned in weight in college just bc she stopped playing soccer. Exercise is not where most of your calories go. She probably just actually ate/drank more unhealthy stuff once she was out on her own as a college student (like most people do).

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I mean look are people mean/rude to fat people sure probably, just look at internet comments. I don't see why people can't just be chill to each other.

But at the same time I appreciate my overweight coworker who just says "I like to eat and it bothers me not at all so gently caress it" versus someone who just expects society to conform to her. Beauty standards can suck if you find yourself on the wrong end of them but that's just the way it is idk.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

this woman sure is getting a lot of mileage out of being a fat rear end

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Moridin920 posted:

:shrug:

Imo it was bullshit as soon as she said she ballooned in weight in college just bc she stopped playing soccer. Exercise is not where most of your calories go. She probably just actually ate/drank more unhealthy stuff once she was out on her own as a college student (like most people do).

If you're burning like 300 calories a day playing soccer (more than easily done with 1 hour of running around and kicking) and you stop abruptly if your diet doesn't change you're putting on almost a pound a week until your BMR catches up

It's small but it does add up quickly, especially if you don't adjust your diet to match, and especially if, as you say, she starts eating more food and more high-caloric-density food

but you see, she eats Healthy and she doesn't have Disease ...

the hypothyroidism thing is such a weak excuse. if your metabolism slows down, then, well, congrats on all the money you can save now on eating

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Ellen DeGenerates posted:

Te-Nehisi Coates

um, no

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Print journalism is dead, OP. the only thing that matters these days is posts on the somethign awful forums

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Check out https://longform.org/. They link to longform articles from all over the web, old and new stuff. Lots of great articles to read.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Glad someone else dislikes Ta-Nehisi Coates. Now that's a man who knows how to write only one article and does it again and again and again and again.

I stopped reading The Atlantic a couple of months ago because they had gone so far up their own rear end they were likely to turn into an ouroborous in reverse. The rest of the left wing on the Internet appears to be suffering from a similar affliction. This is a bit tough for me, since I'm not exactly a rightist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

paul_soccer10 posted:

guy i was friends with from gradeschool got hired to write the weekly "john oliver was EXTREMELY right last night" article on atlantic's website
a good litmus test in judging whether or not a news website is completely worthless is if, every monday, they post an inline youtube video of john oliver's main story from the night before with a paragraph or two fawning over him. if they do, it's not worth your time reading anything that they have to say

• Locked thread