Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

H.H posted:

I started reading The Atlantic about two years ago, partly because I was frequently bored at work and partly because of a genuine desire to stay informed in a thought-provoking manner.

At first, I found the articles interesting while managing to avoid the all-too-common journalistic pitfalls of sensationalism and hyperbole.
Although there was a definite political slant the writers provided insightful analysis and the magazine made an effort to incorporate non-mainstream opinions (notable examples are this story and this one, which are clearly written by well informed writers which went to great lengths to prove their arguments about admittedly controversial subjects).

Lately, however, I struggle to find content that is not rehashed to death, cringe inducing or just plain embarrassing. The way they poo poo themselves at the thought of Trump becoming the next US president, churning out diatribes against him that just boost his popularity with his target audience; their overwhelmingly flattering writing about identity politics (consider how quickly their position on this changed in just a year: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/), their never-ending articles about millennials (favourable or otherwise, it seems that whenever the don't have any good material they just shoehorn a random idea unto millennials, somehow mistaking this for originality).

Is this really the best that one of the most respected magazines in the US can do?

Am I an idiot for trying to find pearls in this shitpile?

I like reading scientific American. helps me pretend to be smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread