Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
Junta is my all-time favorite studio album, but I agree with everyone else who says they'd rather listen to live stuff 99% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

My Phish first Phish show is tonight, doors open at 7PM. Going with my girlfriend and best friend, and I'm excited.

Make sure you post how it goes :)

There's nothing I love more than taking people to their first shows. It always feels like I've known about this little magical world for years and I get to drink them in. Have fun!

I moved from New England to Oregon this year which means I'm seeing far fewer shows, but I'll be back for the end of the year. I don't think nye is in the cards but I'm hoping I can get down for some of the other shows in the run

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Earwicker posted:

Those are all good and so is Junta but to me Rift is really the only studio album of theirs that feels like a proper album rather than a collection of songs, in that it has a consistent atmosphere and theme, and I feel like several of the tunes on there (It's Ice and Wedge for example) come across best in studio form. The others feel more like just collections of songs and most of them are better live - a song like YEM for example just doesn't live up to it's live version when you listen to the record.

That's fair! I think part of the appeal for me is the nostalgia value - I got into Phish back in 1994 (freshman year of high school) when a friend loaned me Junta and it just completely blew me away when I compared it to other music (90s radio stuff) I had been listening to at that point. Also since it has some songs that are long but aren't jammy (Esther, Divided Sky, Fluffhead) I still find it worth listening to when I'm looking for something different.

I'd say that Story of the Ghost and Farmhouse both feel kind of thematic to me but I agree that Rift does that the most.

rally posted:

They need to not wear out cross eyed and painless

I love me some C&P! 11.2.96 (Coral Sky DVD) and 12.31.99 (Big Cypress) are both really high on my "all-time favorite jams" list.

Franchescanado posted:

It was a great show, and I'd see them again. It was a full house, so hopefully they enjoyed the venue and will come back.

Awesome, glad to hear you had fun! We have a lot of similar tastes in Phish I think - Wolfman's/Stash are two of my favorite "set 1" songs (along with Bathtub Gin) and Tweezer is the song I go into every show hoping to hear. My first show was 12.2.95 (which had an awesome Tweezer, linked below) with my brother for my birthday, but since I didn't have any friends who liked them I never really sought out more concert. I didn't actually start downloading and listening to live Phish until 2005, which was right after they broke up. My second show wasn't until 5.31.09, which means I had a fourteen year gap in between shows. Hopefully your next show comes sooner than mine did :j:

I'm so glad there's an active Phish thread again :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XaMCmqdEsg

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

AAB posted:

has there been the semi-annual "tweezer off" yet in this iteration of the thread? cause 6x tweezer from MWP a couple years ago is def the best one of modern (probably even v2) Phish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plNndopcPfo

Good looks! Somehow I've either forgotten this existed or never knew about it - I'm gonna give this set a whirl right now :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg77L7e9EQY

My favorite 2.0 Tweezer was Hartford 10.27.13. I had gone to the two Worcester shows before it and Hartford was supposed to be my last one because I was trying to be responsible. Somewhere around the peak of this jam I said "holy poo poo I need to do the Halloween run in Atlantic City" and ended up having one of the best weekends of my life.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

algebra testes posted:

It was The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, in case you somehow didn't catch the news.

Haven't listened to it, but I look forward to it there are a bunch of tunes on the back end of that album I adore.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/33uPFf4cfCf - I'm couch touring and having an awesome night :)

• Locked thread