Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
oh so its gonna be new song, sandman, evil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
we're so hosed!!!!

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
this song is growing on me

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
gently caress yeah we got time for a couple more

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
poo poo yeah whiskey in a jar

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Cliff was a weird dude. He wasn't a metalhead he was a true musician who happened to play metal music.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
gently caress that owned

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
what's last

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
this can't be last there has to be one more after nothing else matters

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
exxxxiiiiiit liiiggggght

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
are they doing another encore?

if so its time to realize Metallica owns

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Well uh Hardwired is pretty good but the past few years haven't been kind to this band.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

If you love them so much play another song!

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If you love them so much play another song!

correct!!!!

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

darth_pizza posted:

Well uh Hardwired is pretty good but the past few years haven't been kind to this band.

fight me fuckr

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

jackyl posted:

fight me fuckr

cmon man, St. Anger was a flop and Death Magnetic was just OK.

i will agree everything before Re-Load was some jams.

there's no need to fight

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Nothing off their 2003 opus?!

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Concert owned live how was the stream?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

jackyl posted:

can't believe only two of us were doing this stream, gently caress some goons missed out !!!!

I saw them back in 88 before they went to poo poo. We aint missing nothing.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Man weirdly enough I started listening to master of puppets yesterday. then this thread happens. coincidences like that don't just happen every day.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Cliff was a weird dude. He wasn't a metalhead he was a true musician who happened to play metal music.

Yup.

Also Hardwired sounds like a mediocre thrash song at 1.5x the speed, at regular speed it's just terrible. gently caress Metallica.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

~*TOO COOL 4 METALLICA*~

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

JB50 posted:

I saw them back in 88 before they went to poo poo. We aint missing nothing.

Them opening for Ozzy was the best live thing I ever saw. They made Ozzy look tired and sad even that long ago.

Thrash is innately young. If you're still that mad as an old you have brain problems. The only group of olds that I know that don't sound ridiculous are Killing Joke and they've gone into some really weird directions that are more interesting than angry.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Thrash is just a style of music. Anthrax pumps out good albums still because they were never that angry to begin with and now that they're old they have zero things to prove to anybody so they just make cool agressive music because nobody younger has stepped in to make metal that's not some tortured overly hardcore black metal horseshit, or stoner metal, which don't get me wrong I like a good deal of stoner metal but lets not kid ourselves it's creatively bankrupt

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
there was a whole retro thrash revival thing a decade ago that's already petered out because thrash is creatively bankrupt as well

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

comes along bort posted:

there was a whole retro thrash revival thing a decade ago that's already petered out because thrash is creatively bankrupt as well

That pretty much peaked with Municipal Wastes The Art of Partying

Although I maintain that Gama Bomb remain awesome

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
Lol @ anyone who doesn't like Hardwired and lol
@ anyone who doesn't think Death Magnetic was the best album since Black.

Metallica's back motherfuckers and indeed it's time to realize that they own

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Gaz2k21 posted:

That pretty much peaked with Municipal Wastes The Art of Partying

Although I maintain that Gama Bomb remain awesome

yeah municipal waste are definitely one of the high points of the whole thrash re-enactor thing

i kinda like iron reagan better though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhiBDQF_0HM

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

comes along bort posted:

yeah municipal waste are definitely one of the high points of the whole thrash re-enactor thing

I'm seeing them in a couple of weeks I missed the last time they were in the UK

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

comes along bort posted:

drat that shits good!

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
Realize-AH Metallic-ah-ah Own-Zah

No they don't.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

comes along bort posted:

my favorite part of the video is the businessman in the circle pit

i like to imagine he was on his way downtown when he figured "eh, gently caress it, work can wait, let's mosh"

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I miss james when he was a raging alcoholic and drug addict too.

We all do. We miss the days when metallica was in their 20s and 30s, and without children, and entirely capable of shirkin responsibility to society or their own family to get fuckin wrecked and make cool music.

Those days are over now Dan. So get the gently caress over it DAN.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Free Speech For the Dumb, indeed

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

hemophilia posted:

We all do. We miss the days when metallica was in their 20s and 30s, and without children, and entirely capable of shirkin responsibility to society or their own family to get fuckin wrecked and make cool music.

if they tuned down a step like megadeth did it'd be a lot easier for james to sing without straining himself. everyone's natural register drops when they get older

funnily enough he wrote a lot of and justice for all in d but they couldn't get it to sound right on tape so they went back to e

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

comes along bort posted:

if they tuned down a step like megadeth did it'd be a lot easier for james to sing without straining himself. everyone's natural register drops when they get older

funnily enough he wrote a lot of and justice for all in d but they couldn't get it to sound right on tape so they went back to e

A good chunk of load and reload IS in drop C, and St. Anger too, I think.

I know if you tune to drop C the Some Kind Of Monster riff is literally like 0-3-5 because my teenage scrub rear end could jam along for like 2 minutes of that song before my lack of skill made me have to stop.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It sucks that James blew his voice out twice and had no choice but to learn how to sing properly to keep playing shows, yeah haeps cool idiot.

I agree though they should stop trying to write 8min metal songs and just write stuff like Load/Reload. trying to keep the fans happy is never going to make anyone happy, and at Metallicas level you'd think they'd just do what makes them happy for some extra coin on the side (although probably cant afford to after the film and festival fiasco)

comes along bort posted:

All their live stuff is played a step or two down. my band did it too because its way easier to play show after show (as a singer) when you're only hitting half your range than if you're playing it in E every night.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

They did Lulu because it made them happy :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

hemophilia posted:

Hey none of that grown man responsibly poo poo stops Tom Araya from being consistently awesome.

• Locked thread