Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange sky
May 7, 2007

Aaaaand we're back.

After the huge upset last year because the most beautiful football in Portugal didn't win, we're back for another round of Primeira Liga!

This is definitely going to be a special year, after all we're the Champions of Europe!

You might remember this game: the most boring game in the history of the Euros, until this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEwzGYmo5h4

The best goal of the Euro, by far. But now the french people claim that Lloris was injured, and that's why they lost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH1AHOhKn7s

Sore losers. Even without our God and saviour

The french were not good enough to avoid Eder, a player that we thought so bad that he was going into a career as a mime.

Important Players

The transfer window is still open, but if all players remain in Portugal we have:

Eliseu, the best left back in recorded Benfica history. Also known as picanha. No, not piranha, picanha.

João Mário, the only guy with the butt to compete with Ronaldo. Just look at that butt.
He's a good player but didn't really stand out in the Euro.

Adrien Silva, the hottest guy in Sporting CP since Cedric left.

Rui Patricio, or "Saint Patricio". He did indeed stand out at the Euro. Talks a bit like a special person.

Jonas "Pistolas", the best scorer of the last season. A pretty hardworking, good player.

Islam Slimani, the guy who kneels and praises Allah everytime he scores. Humble but crazy and agressive as gently caress, never quits on a ball.

https://www.facebook.com/SLBenfica/videos/10157197046680716/

The golden boy of 2015/2016, Renato Sanches. He's gone to Bayern but deserves an honorable mention.

And the best of all the players in the league:

Iker Casillas. Hell of a player. Love everything about him. He has wonderful plays, such as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8lha5YfcjA&t=19s

Important Characters

Sir Jorge Nuno Pinto da Costa, the godfather and also president of FC Porto. In the last 30 years he had everyone in his pocket and won a lot of leagues in Portugal. Keep in mind this is a very corrupt country and football has the worst rap, due to wire taps revealing Pinto da Costa offered prostitutes (which he referred to as "fruit") to referees. All of this washed over, Porto is going through a bad time due to a lot of money badly spent, and someone has come to replace him:

Luis Filipe Vieira. The president of Benfica, he's the new godfather in Portugal. Everyone's in his pocket, and everything is going oh so smoothly for Benfica.

Meanwhile, we have an outcast that came to stir things up a bit:

Bruno de Carvalho, Sporting CP's president, is without a doubt the most hated person in Portugal. He's a huge twat a lot of the time but I as a Sporting CP fan and paying customer have no doubt he is doing (or trying to do) what's best for the club.

This is the standing in 2015/2016:

Here are the teams that are playing this year:

The calendar:

The best looking players!

We have some hotties in Portugal:

This thread will have more information regarding the league soon, but that's it for now folks, we have a space to talk about the best league in Europe!

May the best win!

orange sky fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

What an awful OP, undeserving of the champions of Europe

orange sky
May 7, 2007

You are right, I'm going to make it better soon!

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Portugal are the champions of europe. UEFA supremacy!!!!

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

advanced statsman posted:

orange sky
May 7, 2007

The OP is a bit better now. If you have anything to add (especially you, MBM) go ahead and PM me.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Hector Herrera not in the OP, voting one and blocking you, you fuckman

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Hector Herrera not in the OP, voting one and blocking you, you fuckman

Look again

orange sky
May 7, 2007

advanced statsman posted:

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Benfica is going to win again, Bruno Carvalho is a fraud and disgusting person and is using Sporting to embezzle money for his liposuctions, while Braga is going to collapse mid season, and not even the Espirito Santo is going to save Porto from another year of utter fail.

My predictions for what will surely be a Great season of Portuguese League of Football.(Cause Benfica is going to win it.)

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Jorge Jesus has been named as the #10 best manager in the world by FourFourTwo (Fernando Santos is #33, Rui Vitoria is #39): http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/fourfourtwos-50-best-football-managers-world-2016-no10-jorge-jesus

drat look at those stats

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
jesus is a fraud imo

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
A very important cup match is going on. Who's watching?

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Montasque posted:

A very important cup match is going on. Who's watching?

I watched but couldn't post because I was probated by our fascist mod. feels bad. Braga suck rear end, most overrated team in Portugal. Cervi looks good, wish he'd come to Sporting

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Yeah I like Cervi. Benfica still producing nice goals but with some defence failures. It's gonna be a cool year. Now I just want a striker in SCP.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Oh hey new thread!cool op.
I just would like to say that benficas left wing is going to wreck teams this year.also we will get murdered in the CL,unless we play with almeida and eliseu and go full Portugal 2016.
Benfica has a worse starting 11 than last year but the squad as a whole is loving quality.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
The Big 3 all won convincingly yesterday. Also seems João Mário is off to Inter for around €45 million. feels bad. it's good money tho, and as long as we keep adrien and slimani we should be fine. wouldn't mind if we tried to get Markovic as a replacement, Liverpool would be happy to get rid of him and maybe Jesus can get him playing like he used to before leaving Portugal.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Benfica just stole Braga's Rafa from Porto, who have been after him for years. €15 million. Might be the move Rafa needs to become a world class player.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Benfica just stole Braga's Rafa from Porto, who have been after him for years. €15 million. Might be the move Rafa needs to become a world class player.

Porto is finished. Fail manager, basically out of the champions league, and now can't even poach Benfica's transfer targets. RIP Pinto da Costa

Also this probably means that Salvio is really gone. Shame. Those injuries over the last two years basically killed his career.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Joel Campbell on loan to Sporting is official now, according to O Jogo

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Simone Poodoin posted:

Joel Campbell on loan to Sporting is official now, according to O Jogo

It took 4 years to make it so, but Jesus finally got him.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
It seems the league got a new channel and for the low low price of 16.99 USD a month you can enjoy all of the Primeira games. Don't know the big clubs are involved and if the games are going to be in Portuguese or English but I guess it's something. Does any other league does this that's not a american sport league?

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Benfica as a insane squad right now. The Starting 11 is slightly worse than last season but theres almost 0% drop in quality from starters to subs pretty much across the board.they might be angling for a euro cup run in the next couple of seasons.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Benfica as a insane squad right now. The Starting 11 is slightly worse than last season but theres almost 0% drop in quality from starters to subs pretty much across the board.they might be angling for a euro cup run in the next couple of seasons.

Except maybe Eliseu and center backs

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

I have to stop feeling good about Benfica because they Just shitted the bed and drawed at home against Setúbal.hope is a mistake.Porto and Sporting won without much trouble,even if unspectacularly.setubal seems to be a good team with a good coach so im picking half their squad for my fantasy league.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

ChainsawCharlie posted:

I have to stop feeling good about Benfica because they Just shitted the bed and drawed at home against Setúbal.hope is a mistake.Porto and Sporting won without much trouble,even if unspectacularly.setubal seems to be a good team with a good coach so im picking half their squad for my fantasy league.

I was in the stadium and they did indeed put up a good fight, they had almost as many opportunities as Benfica.

This is going to be an interesting league. Sporting x Porto next week, woo!

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Also I have to say this:

lol Carrillo

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Meh carrillo has been kinda poo poo but he basically didnt play last season.grimaldo was more or less in the same situation last year and it took him 4 months to be match ready.if carrillo doesnt improve until january then i'll agree we have a turd albatross in our hands.or as Benfica fans Call it, a taraabt.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Meh carrillo has been kinda poo poo but he basically didnt play last season.grimaldo was more or less in the same situation last year and it took him 4 months to be match ready.if carrillo doesnt improve until january then i'll agree we have a turd albatross in our hands.or as Benfica fans Call it, a taraabt.

Yeah but for every month he doesn't perform there's 450k leaving the Benfica coffers.

Also he's an absolute rear end in a top hat, inconsistent and you'll find that us Sporting fans were in the right regarding him.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Yesterday Benfica won against Nacional with 3 ridiculous loving goals, one of them scored by Carrillo (I feel like puking just writing this name, gently caress this guy). They are now waiting for this round's game, Sporting vs Porto. If any of you want to watch the game I'm sure you can find something on Arenavision, it'll be worth it. It's a sacred game, Jesus vs Espírito Santo (Holy Spirit)!

Also, João Mário went to Inter for 40+5M euros. A good deal but I wish he went to a better team..

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

orange sky posted:

Yesterday Benfica won against Nacional with 3 ridiculous loving goals, one of them scored by Carrillo (I feel like puking just writing this name, gently caress this guy). They are now waiting for this round's game, Sporting vs Porto. If any of you want to watch the game I'm sure you can find something on Arenavision, it'll be worth it. It's a sacred game, Jesus vs Espírito Santo (Holy Spirit)!

Also, João Mário went to Inter for 40+5M euros. A good deal but I wish he went to a better team..

well, we was in sporting so really the only way was up. But yeah, João Mario is a quality player, looking forward to Inter panic sell him when they need cash again.
Also,Sporting vs Porto should be a fun game, this porto is way better that last year and sporting is maybe not as good.Gonna be nice meltdowns.

Antifa Poltergeist fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 28, 2016

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Losing all our best players....feels bad man. at least Adrien and Rui Patricio are staying.

e: Still, selling one of ours kids for 45 million and Slimani who we bought just three seasons ago for 300k and we now sell for 30 million. drat the Benfica and Porto fans are right: Bruno de Carvalho really is sinking our club, will there be any Sporting left when he's done? what a monster

Mean Bean Machine fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 28, 2016

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Losing all our best players....feels bad man. at least Adrien and Rui Patricio are staying.

e: Still, selling one of ours kids for 45 million and Slimani who we bought just three seasons ago for 300k and we now sell for 30 million. drat the Benfica and Porto fans are right: Bruno de Carvalho really is sinking our club, will there be any Sporting left when he's done? what a monster

:clint:

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Lol Sporting.10 minutes in and already loosing.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Lmao Porto

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Porto is loving garbage

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Iker is the worst keeper in Europe lmao

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Ahh poor Porto, also lol casillas.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

straight up brolic posted:

Iker is the worst keeper in Europe lmao

Never doubt Mou

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

These are two good rear end teams though,flawed but really good.

• Locked thread