Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8_Escape
Dec 26, 2013
I will wote for the Brightest estate.
If you'll have me I would prefer to be an Antiquarian, Hound Master or Highwayman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sientara
May 27, 2012

I would like to volunteer to be a Grave Robber, Vestal or Arbalest.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Oh 100% hell yes. I'm hot garbage at playing the game but I love that narrator. Thanks for doing this, bud.

Also it's time for Leppy Granola to ride again.

... keep the tip.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Skippy Granola posted:

Oh 100% hell yes. I'm hot garbage at playing the game but I love that narrator. Thanks for doing this, bud.

... keep the tip.

ARG, both you and SelNar make that joke and its so gross! Especially when at the brothel!

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

It's a longshot, but I nominate the MacArthur Estate (it's frightening in the dark, you see. I'll let myself out )

That aside, I'd be happy as any of my 3 favorite classes Bounty Hunter, Houndmaster, or Jester. The last I like in inverse proportion with how long I've kept one alive, but damned if they don't have style.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
I liked naming it the Darqest manor. But I'm a dumb.

Specifically I'm a dumb who would like to be a Leper, Crusader, or Bounty Hunter.

Prince Orcus
Mar 1, 2016
I'll be a Leper because they are the sweetest.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
I can't play this game for beans, so I've been waiting for someone to LP it to some me the game.

As for recrutment, I'll sign up as Plague Doctor, Jester, or Crusader.

I care now for the house I join so long as there is adventure, with the taste of death around every corner...

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
This game looks up my alley. I'm too broke to buy it right now, so I'll live vicariously through the LP for the moment.

For house name, I'll vote for Amontillado.

Sign me up for a Vestal, I guess, or any wizard-y type.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Nthing the Amontillado mansion name.

Sign me up as a Bounty Hunter, Man-At-Arms or Houndmaster.

Also Fusilier is pronounced 'Fuse ah leer.' :v:

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Hell yeah, looking forward to actually seeing the later parts of this game, as the longest I've ever come in this game is around character level 4, a couple of the early bosses beaten.

Put me in, coach! I'd prefer being a Crusader, but I guess I could settle for being a Grave robber or an Occultist. I'll be useful or I'll make you pull your hair out. Your choice! :iamafag:
Or you could make me whatever you need, if you don't have anyone that wants to be a particular class. That works too.

My personal favorite "hero" (*snort* they're more like pawns to be used and then thrown away) is the Arbalest, because she is so god drat reliable. Sure, she might be inflexible, but you can't beat reliability. gently caress you game give me more Vestals! I am sick to death of using Occultists!

The mansion's name shall be Darkplace.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Make me the hellionist of Hellion's. Insert a quote about Chaos or blood here.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable

A_Raving_Loon posted:

You are about to enter the halls of your ancestors. You are entering their Darkplace.
This is the best name suggestion so far. Voting for Darkplace Estate as well.

If you still need more heroes, make me a jester, leper or occultist.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Journey into you Ancestor's Darkplace

I shall be foolish enough to get off the wagon. Make me a Plague Doctor, Hellion, or Abomination because who better suited to be a horrible goat monster but me?

venom3053000
Dec 29, 2013
I'd love to be a Bounty Hunter, a Houndmaster or a Highwayman named Venom

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
The Tides of Battle
"Send these vermin a message: The rightful owner has returned, and their kind is no longer welcome..."

Combat is the big focus of this game, and you'll be spending a lot of your time participating in the acts of slaughter and bloodshed for the sake of coin, so let's cover the basics of it since I was a bit erratic in the video.

Before we discuss actual combat, its important to know our characters front-to-back. You don't want to go into battle at the Ruins only to discover Reynauld not only fears unholy enemies but also takes more stress damage in the ruins (which is happening in my personal file). In order to look at your character's numbers, simply right click them on the roster or their character in-dungeon to get the details. Let's take a look at Reynauld real quick:

I've taken the liberty of highlighting some key points to make this discussion easier. If we look at [1] you'll see the two most important lists for your character: Quirks and Stats. Quirks are the game's big mechanic, actively defining what your character is good at, alongside all their bad habits and compulsions. Stats are the numbers that you compare to your enemies to see if things work. Any buffs and debuffs from quirks, diseases and equipment are reflected in your stats by a gold/red change in color. On the bottom of [1] you'll see the equipment screen, which isn't really complicated. Your Weapon and Armor are always equipped, and the two empty slots next to it are accessory slots that fine-tune your character's stats. If we take a look at [2], you'll see skill listings. These display the combat skills and camping skills you have unlocked and "equipped." You can have up to four combat and camping skills equipped at one time, and you can change your skills in-town and mid-dungeon so long as you aren't in a combat instance. The camping skills are used when you are in a medium or long dungeon, but we'll discuss that more in a later thing. If you look at [3], you'll see Resistances and Diseases. Resistances govern what your characters can shrug off, and its a linear conflict; Let's say a cultist brawler stabs Reynauld and has a bleed chance, If his chance is 100% chance it would be deducted by Reynauld's 30% resistance, giving the brawler a 70% chance to bleed. The math makes sense when its your status effects vs enemy resistances, however you don't ever see an enemy's status chance toward you so I just naturally assume they have something along the range of 150-200% chance to status since I'm a pessimist. Diseases are basically negative quirks again, however they are much cheaper to remove and subsequently easier to contract.

All of this reflects in actual battle, where your traits and gear are put to practical use:

Combat flows in a turn-based instance, much like a classic RPG. Turn order is odd; I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure it is determined at the start of each turn by a roll of the dice with a character's speed modifier. Your base stats, gear and moves are shown at [1], and your attack modifiers are shown as you hover over an enemy. For example, if Dismas had the Rabies disease(+15% damage, -10 ACC), you'd see his damage changed to a gold tint to show its better and his ACC in the red to show its bad. Your damage range is also changed based on your attack; As shown in the image, Pistol Shot is 4-8 damage however if you use Grapeshot it would be changed to 2-6 due to the difference in damage modifiers. Keeping an eye on these numbers is vital in battle since you can guesstimate the chances of killing an enemy with your damage range and act appropriately to get either better value or heal damage. The main battlefield is shown on [2]; here you focus on positioning and targeting, though not much else happens here. On the top of the screen next to [3] is the Torch Meter. This applies to dungeon delving in general, but it also has a use in combat; The higher the torch, the higher chance you have of surprising the enemy and your heroes take less stress damage in general, however a dark torch gives you more loot in general and higher crit rates in combat. Torch level is pretty vital for survival in general, however if you're willing to take the risk you can manually snuff the torch and enjoy the risks that come with those rewards. Finally over at 4 we have the inventory screen. This is pretty self-explanatory, though you should know that while you can use torches and curatives mid-battle, you cannot use food mid-battle for healing. The important bit about [4] is that an enemy display panel pops up here when you hover over an enemy, showing you their resistances, what attacks they have and what effects each attack carries. This is pretty vital when dealing with crowd control since knowing which enemies are vulnerable to stun, bleed and blight can make or break a run.

On Death's Door & Deathblow
"Now, the true test. Hold Fast...or expire..."

Death in this game is not as simple as dying at zero HP. Once a hero hits 0 HP, they enter a state called Death's Door. Entering the state of Death's Door brings about many consequences: Heroes are generally weaker in terms of ACC/Damage/Evasion, they take a big hit to stress and become more vulnerable to stress, and any loss of health will potentially be a deathblow. Deathblow is an interesting mechanic: Every hero has a 67% chance to resist a deathblow, with two traits and a handful of accessories manipulating that number, and the cap of deathblow resist being 87%. While in Death's Door however, hitting 200% stress as well will induce a heart attack and be a 100% kill even with deathblow resist. To escape Death's Door, simply heal the character in question and they'll be back in the fight, however they will have a milder version of the debuff that comes with Death's Door unless very specific camping skills are used to remove it.

Outside of Heart Attacks, Death's Door can result a form of tanking I like to call "RNG Tanking"; While there isn't any traditional "tanking" in this game, a hero that takes a hit in Death's Door and resists Deathblow is damage not taken on any more important characters. This is the ultimate in risk taking, but it's also a valid strategy. While I am a very conservative player that gets attached to his heroes, keep this strategy in mind.

For those looking for ways to subvert Death's Door in general, there are a few things to keep in mind. The aforementioned heart attack from 200% stress can put you straight into death's door if you are not in that state. Another thing to note is that DoT's such as bleed, blight, and certain unique attacks all contribute towards deathblow procs. Also, while not directly related to Death's Door, enemies that do stress damage have a propensity to aim their attacks on the most stressed person, so that can ramp up into putting a character in death's door abruptly as a mission advances. Avoiding Death's Door is all about risk management, however dealing with Death's Door can be a matter of urgency or a mission-saving gamble amusingly enough.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 20, 2016

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I'd like to be a Bounty Hunter but will settle for Leper or Occultist

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I'm fairly sure you do get to see the enemy resistances when you mouse over them in combat now.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I occasionally run into items that affect "Virtues" in some form; I thought they meant Quirks but I guess they're something altogether different.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
So given the time frame of recording, editing and getting setup for commentary, I'm cutting the house vote here.

Welcome to our Dark Place.

Gridlocked posted:

I'm fairly sure you do get to see the enemy resistances when you mouse over them in combat now.

Yeah I just noticed that this recording session. Gonna edit that in super quick.

MelvinBison posted:

I occasionally run into items that affect "Virtues" in some form; I thought they meant Quirks but I guess they're something altogether different.

Virtues & Vices are part of the stress system, which will be covered when its relevant.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Darn, I was going to toss out Usher as the house name, because how did some of you toss out Poe references as estate names and not immediately jump to House of Usher? Oh well.

Character wise, I'll go either Man-At-Arms, Bounty Hunter, or Crusader, whichever opens up first.

Also, I just want to say that there's so much about the design of this game that I just love. The artwork is so beautifully dark, like even the really heroic characters have probably done some pretty bad stuff. And the narration - holy crap. The voice is great, and the vocabulary so perfectly sets the tone.

Anyway, looking forward to whatever comes next.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I'm ecstatic that Darkplace won, but please be sure to write it as one word. Only that spelling is smooth, like ice.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
If signups are still happening, I volunteer as a Grave Robber, Vestal, or Antiquarian.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 28, 2016

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Leper, Occultist, or Jester.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

MelvinBison posted:

Yes. Yes they are. Virtues are a thing that happens when you breach 100 stress for the first time.
When they don't get a horrible negative side effect.

And if there's still space: Hellion (because it's the best class), Vestal (because you need 6 of them), and Abomination because we are the real monsters. And lets make it blue.

Also, when playing i usually edit the abomination to take out their holy class restriction because Vestals are just too important. I really wish there was another vestal quality healer.

Skippy Granola posted:

... keep the tip.

Edit: As must always be the first Leper.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 31, 2016

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
The only name I have to offer is The Worst House.

Also, sign me up for (in order), Hellion, Grave Robber, Vestal.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
I'd love to be an Antiquarian, Abomination, or a Arbalest.

I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't with Doom Estate, though.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I'm ecstatic that Darkplace won, but please be sure to write it as one word. Only that spelling is smooth, like ice.

God Richard gets me every time.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Add me as a Grave Robber, Vestal, or Hellion if there's still room in the roster.

Delirare
Sep 27, 2015
Ah, yes to Darkplace, Garth Merenghi would be so proud.

I love the Occultist and Plague Doctor, but my nickname would go well with a Jester, if you have some spares.

Also, if you are ever so inclined to send someone to the tavern for stress relief, equip them with a crappy trinket. As they are sometimes prone to misplace some from time to time, at least it will not be any of the better ones from your stash.

Delirare fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 31, 2016

anthrax
Dec 10, 2013
Signing up as a Leper or Plague Doctor if there's still space.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Episode 2: Opening up Shop

Today we see our first batch of recruits, dive into our first actual dungeon crawl, and get new stores.

Now I'm looking for a bit of advice from the thread on a few things:
-Where should our 4th mission take us?
-What should my next info-post be? I'm torn between discussing the hamlet and detailing the Ruins

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Might as well get the Hamlet discussion out of the way first.

Bought this way back when it first hit early access, but I've never felt like I actually know what I'm doing.

I am firmly in the "heart attacks are a dick move" camp, though.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'd say go for the Hamlet, get it out of the way.

You have way less rotation than I do. I usually don't upgrade anything until my toons are two missions in and haven't picked up any disgusting traits.

Delirare
Sep 27, 2015
Talk about the ruins. I think the town would be more interesting when all the things open up.

And you got pretty lucky with those bookshelves. That game has a lovecraftian setting, don't read anything. Those books only lead to madness.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
You took the Occultist but didn't buy bandages before walking into the Ruins?

You will pull your hair out a lot less if you bring a few more bandages than you usually do when taking the Occultist - yes, more inventory juggling and hard choices, but that's going to happen anyway. Might as well stack the deck a bit in your favor in case the RNG hates you with the Occultist.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Kacie posted:

You took the Occultist but didn't buy bandages before walking into the Ruins?

You will pull your hair out a lot less if you bring a few more bandages than you usually do when taking the Occultist - yes, more inventory juggling and hard choices, but that's going to happen anyway. Might as well stack the deck a bit in your favor in case the RNG hates you with the Occultist.

This is a thing I'm fully aware of, and the reason why I double-stack healers. Vestal can be the reliable heal, Arbalest increases the RNG of the occultist heal in my favor, and PD can remove the bleed. The bleed at any level is quite frankly a non-issue, especially when the trigger range is 50-80% across the levels vs a character's resistance.

Buying bandages for any bleed that's not in the Cove is a waste. I'd rather buy them for the Weald so I can possibly make money back.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
How moddable is this game? Would it be possible to do a sort of 4 job fiesta, where you randomly get 4 classes and all your recruits will be of those classes?

(I've been marathoning Loon's Fiesta videos for quite a while now so it's on my mind)

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Highwang posted:

Episode 2: Opening up Shop

Today we see our first batch of recruits, dive into our first actual dungeon crawl, and get new stores.

Now I'm looking for a bit of advice from the thread on a few things:
-Where should our 4th mission take us?
-What should my next info-post be? I'm torn between discussing the hamlet and detailing the Ruins
Count on me to bring the big-bucks Highwang :20bux:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

How moddable is this game? Would it be possible to do a sort of 4 job fiesta, where you randomly get 4 classes and all your recruits will be of those classes?

(I've been marathoning Loon's Fiesta videos for quite a while now so it's on my mind)

This game is orders of magnitude more difficult than FFV, and party setups that crush some challenges effortlessly will be suicide against others. I'd imagine the game would also get extremely dull and repetitive with only four classes ever. FFV lets you assign crossclass abilities to your party members, here there's no crossover whatsoever.

I'm not sure whether or not it would be moddable, but it certainly would not be beatable without absurdly (as in, play for years and you'd never see it) good RNG.

• Locked thread