Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Zanzibar Ham posted:

How moddable is this game? Would it be possible to do a sort of 4 job fiesta, where you randomly get 4 classes and all your recruits will be of those classes?

(I've been marathoning Loon's Fiesta videos for quite a while now so it's on my mind)
It appears to be fairly moddable, as there is a nexus site for it, and Red Hook does have official mod support planned. I am having a little trouble finding what modding tools are available though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Also the existence of the Abomination forces certain types of party comp.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I was thinking of suggesting my username for an abomination, but I guess I'm late to the party. :v:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Mzbundifund posted:

This game is orders of magnitude more difficult than FFV, and party setups that crush some challenges effortlessly will be suicide against others. I'd imagine the game would also get extremely dull and repetitive with only four classes ever. FFV lets you assign crossclass abilities to your party members, here there's no crossover whatsoever.

I'm not sure whether or not it would be moddable, but it certainly would not be beatable without absurdly (as in, play for years and you'd never see it) good RNG.

Oh, that's too bad. So to play this game I'd have to find the optimal party for each area?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I wouldn't say "Have", but doing a blight resistant area with a blight heavy party would probably get old really fast, and you'd be eating a lot of stress and damage as enemies take longer to kill.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, as long as you don't have to cheese each place to get through it.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme

Highwang posted:

This is a thing I'm fully aware of, and the reason why I double-stack healers. Vestal can be the reliable heal, Arbalest increases the RNG of the occultist heal in my favor, and PD can remove the bleed. The bleed at any level is quite frankly a non-issue, especially when the trigger range is 50-80% across the levels vs a character's resistance.

Buying bandages for any bleed that's not in the Cove is a waste. I'd rather buy them for the Weald so I can possibly make money back.

On the other hand, though, you're bringing a 2nd healer, instead of the Jester (manage stress) or the Grave Robber or any other damage dealer. Or you could take the Crusader, another damage dealer, and have them play back-up healer. Or the Arbalest.

Of course, your team made it through healthy and sound of mind, which is the only true test. And the Vestal works well in the Ruins where there's a lot of Undead.

Chalk it up to preferences, though - I tend to hedge my bets with gold (ie, bring bandages, keys, shovels, rations) and make sure I have a team that can do damage. I've been hosed before by having focused too much on defense/healing, and couldn't dish out enough damage to bring the enemy down before they outpaced my healing.

Looking forward to more - very nice to see a different set of preferences to give me new ideas. Thanks!

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Nice, I got in as a Vestal, looking forward to dying horribly! Also really enjoying this LP so far. I like the amount of explanation you do, and also the chemistry you guys have.

Also, I know that anything starting with sj is weird in English, but the first part of Sjonkel is pronounced the same way as you'd say Shaun. If you want to make it a little easier for you to say it, try it like that!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
In theory the Occultist and the Plague Doctor would combo well together. Healer as well as an emergency healer who can stop bleeding.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

JT Jag posted:

In theory the Occultist and the Plague Doctor would combo well together. Healer as well as an emergency healer who can stop bleeding.

My main issue with this is even with heal gear, PD is one of the worst healers next to Antiquarian and Crusader. I don't really like the idea of a low healer and a unreliable healer.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Good to see I'm a Dogmans. Also,I don't usually take on Medium or Long quests until I unlock the Survivalist,but that's just my playstyle.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I assume he more meant that the PD can clear the inevitable bleeding from Occultists failures.

Now lets play the "how many weeks until you get that precious second vestal" game.

Edit: Re below - well maybe I had to stop watching half way through.

And god drat it. Books are the worst then. I did not know they contained lore

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 2, 2016

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Veloxyll posted:

Now lets play the "how many weeks until you get that precious second vestal" game.

Didn't he get another one at the end of the video?

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Awesome. I usually play a healer (or a ranger/druidy type) in RPGs or MMOs, so a Vestal being named after me plays true to type. I do find the "zoophobia" thing amusing, since I get along pretty well with animals (although I imagine any animals I run across in a crumbling evil ruin are probably not going to be the friendly type).

I'm liking that smite-y ability she's got.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just blitzed through the two videos. This is some good stuff.

Darkest Dungeon is a fantastic way to gauge people's risk assessment. I've seen 3 different people play this game and each person has a completely different scale from which they value certain skills, party arrangements, and upgrade priorities. It's absolutely fascinating to see how each person goes into their OCD checklists, and how the order and level of detail they go into differ.

Could you sign me up as an adventurer? KirbyKhan

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I don't think you are allowed to complain about your luck when you get your second Vestal on week 3. I have gone ages, even unlocking a 4th recruit at the wagon, and not gotten one.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Highwang posted:

My main issue with this is even with heal gear, PD is one of the worst healers next to Antiquarian and Crusader. I don't really like the idea of a low healer and a unreliable healer.
Same. I usually use her as a stun/blight machine, depending on the area, and wouldn't count her as a healer. Luckily, the areas with enemies that are blight resistant have curios that require bandages, so you can bench her and pick up a couple extra bandages without feeling guilty about it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Plague Doc's job is biowarfare, not healing. She can heal status effects (remember back when Battlefield Medicine healed no HP and could *miss*?) but her real job is 'I have a multistun and a back-row multiblight, ya'll are eating my poo poo'.

Plague Doc will forever be a massive badass.

Hankosha
Apr 1, 2008

SISTAS ARE DOIN' IT FOR THEMSELVES
After the inevitable party wipes, I'd like to be a green antiquarian.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

So you named your place Dark Place and not even one reference to Garth Marenghi's Darkplace?

https://youtu.be/GjOEcoMy2fI

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
I thought it was a :butt: joke!

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Spudd posted:

So you named your place Dark Place and not even one reference to Garth Marenghi's Darkplace?

https://youtu.be/GjOEcoMy2fI

I was actually gonna do a thing in editing but wound up forgetting to do it because of how late it was when I edited that episode.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
I love this game, and it's one of my Kickstarter backings that has paid the most dividends in terms of fun, fury and frustration. 's a good game. Y'all should buy it if you haven't. Try to play along. See how swiftly the tides turn. :unsmigghh:

Anyway, sign me up as Cinos the Highwayman! Yes, that's only one choice for me, as he is one of the many Kickstarter heroes that you can get by doing the following.

quote:

1. Visit the Stage Coach
2. Press ENTER, type your hero's name, and press ENTER again
3. Your hero will appear in the list of recruitable heroes. Drag them into your roster!

I also challenge you to make use of my personal Kickstarter trinket "Scion's Resolve", as it is a hard mode kind of trinket. You can get it by doing this:

quote:

1. Enter the Hamlet in game
2. Open your Trinket Inventory
3. Press ENTER
4. Type your trinket's name.
5. Press Enter again.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Highwang posted:

I was actually gonna do a thing in editing but wound up forgetting to do it because of how late it was when I edited that episode.

You spelled it wrong, too. An author, visionary, dreamweaver of Garth Marenghi's calibre deserves better.

I'm enjoying the show though.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

Just blitzed through the two videos. This is some good stuff.

Darkest Dungeon is a fantastic way to gauge people's risk assessment. I've seen 3 different people play this game and each person has a completely different scale from which they value certain skills, party arrangements, and upgrade priorities. It's absolutely fascinating to see how each person goes into their OCD checklists, and how the order and level of detail they go into differ.

Could you sign me up as an adventurer? KirbyKhan

I agree with this. I just played through this in the past month, and looking around afterwards to see how other people approach it is super interesting. For example, in my opinion vestals are the second worst class in the game (poor jester). Pretty early I developed a preference for max damage and stuns, taking advantage of classes with strong self heal and off heal, making up the difference when needed by just using a little food. The vestal's poor damage, accuracy, and weak stun didn't mesh with my playstyle at all.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

chrisoya posted:

You spelled it wrong, too. An author, visionary, dreamweaver of Garth Marenghi's calibre deserves better.

I'm enjoying the show though.

I'm actually curious if I can edit a config file or something cause I looked all this up after recording and felt bad.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Scribbleykins posted:

I love this game, and it's one of my Kickstarter backings that has paid the most dividends in terms of fun, fury and frustration. 's a good game. Y'all should buy it if you haven't. Try to play along. See how swiftly the tides turn. :unsmigghh:

Anyway, sign me up as Cinos the Highwayman! Yes, that's only one choice for me, as he is one of the many Kickstarter heroes that you can get by doing the following.

I also challenge you to make use of my personal Kickstarter trinket "Scion's Resolve", as it is a hard mode kind of trinket. You can get it by doing this:

This is pretty cool, and makes me wonder if we have any other backers in the thread willing to share this sort of thing. Neat!

*EDIT*

Turns out you can find lists of backer characters and trinkets pretty easily. Eh.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 2, 2016

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

RickVoid posted:

This is pretty cool, and makes me wonder if we have any other backers in the thread willing to share this sort of thing. Neat!

I also have a backer character and trinket. I signed them up on the first page even. They're both just Ivan Pavlov puns.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

way to go steve posted:

I agree with this. I just played through this in the past month, and looking around afterwards to see how other people approach it is super interesting. For example, in my opinion vestals are the second worst class in the game (poor jester). Pretty early I developed a preference for max damage and stuns, taking advantage of classes with strong self heal and off heal, making up the difference when needed by just using a little food. The vestal's poor damage, accuracy, and weak stun didn't mesh with my playstyle at all.

Yuuuup, I personally value marking groups far more highly than other people do. So, that was the main thing that puts me in Team Occultist rather than Team Vestal. Seeing a green 22 just makes me feel alive!

My dream team is Arbelest, Occultist, Houndmaster, and Bounty Hunter. I straight up don't heal until there are only 2 enemies left. Houndmaster and BH are on stunlock duty while the Occult and Arbelest are either murdering the backline or chain healing.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

KirbyKhan posted:

Yuuuup, I personally value marking groups far more highly than other people do. So, that was the main thing that puts me in Team Occultist rather than Team Vestal. Seeing a green 22 just makes me feel alive!

My dream team is Arbelest, Occultist, Houndmaster, and Bounty Hunter. I straight up don't heal until there are only 2 enemies left. Houndmaster and BH are on stunlock duty while the Occult and Arbelest are either murdering the backline or chain healing.

Too many green 0s have taught me never to trust Occultists.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Kurieg posted:

Also the existence of the Abomination forces certain types of party comp.

Abomination Risk. Donate today to have the risk of it on your Darkest Fiesta team! Gilgabot demands it!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Oh wow, you're doing a full LP of this? Surprised I didn't catch it sooner.

Well, if you wouldn't mind putting me on a houndmaster again, I could come along for the ride.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
I love this game, but it can be very challenging at times.

Sign me up as a Hellion if possible (Since Glaive and all), but otherwise I am fine with Grave Robber (my favorite class) or Arbalest (the best non-Vestal healer).

Godnnelg
Jun 25, 2013
I have to say I was curious about this game, kinda wondering what it was about.
Your LP has certainly made me more interested.

I'd like to be a Vestal if you're still recruiting!

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Our Bleak Inheritance
"Welcome home...such as it is. This squalid hamlet, these corrupted lands, they are yours now. And you are bound to them..."

The estate is your base of operations, and its very much an XCOM-esque base. Your rewards from each dungeon run are spent here in order to manage your adventurers, make them stronger & more adept, and get new recruits. For the most part, you will be dependent on money. A variety of things use cash in order to improve them: you need money to improve an adventurer's equipment, an adventurer's talent, to de-stress them, to buy accessories, and to buy supplies for your next adventure. To improve the quality of your hamlet you need heirlooms, and there are four types of heirlooms to look out for: Paintings, Statues, Deeds and Crests. Its important to know what to prioritize during development and when to develop them as you play Darkest Dungeon; You can't ever be put into a losing condition by mis-managing your township, however the difficulty curve can go from a half-pipe to a cliff-face without certain key updates.

We don't exactly have everything updated and ready, so let's look at an alternate reality to show what our town can have.

The Stagecoach
"Word is travelling. Ambition is stirring in distant cities. We can use this."

The stagecoach is where you go to pick up new recruits. What you get, for the most part, is entirely random: The first two recruit you get at the start of the game will always be a Vestal and a Plague Doctor, but after that there is no pattern to who shows up in your stage coach. Taking a soldier has no upfront cost and there is no maintenance fee for your soldiers, so feel free to fill up your roster to the brim. However the rub lies in that your barracks are restricted: Depending on how much you upgrade it, the barracks can only hold 4-28 heroes in your town. You can dismiss heroes at any time, so you can clear out any chaff that isn't pulling their weight, however keeping a balance of heroes in your roster is vital in keeping operations going without a hitch. Stagecoach is also the only part of your hamlet that uses every heirloom.

The stagecoach is a fairly important part of your estate just because it affects how many heroes you hold. Most of the service uses Deeds to upgrade so my priorities focus on getting my roster capacity up ASAP then set it aside until I have spare heirlooms.

-Stagecoach Network
The Network influences how many people can fit in your clown-car of a taxi, and it upgrades in a linear fashion. Every upgrade you put into this, you get one extra hero permanently to choose from from the next week onward. The Stagecoach requires Deeds and Crests to upgrade

Stagecoach Network is a nice luxury to have, but honestly its the lowest priority on my list for the stagecoach and just in general. I usually get it to where I have four recruits coming in a day then leave it at that until like the extreme endgame.

-Hero Barracks
The Barracks is where your heroes live at in your estate. Simply put, its your hero capacity. You start with a capacity of 8 and it increases by 4 for every upgrade you put into it. The Barracks requires Deeds and Crests to upgrade.

This is the most important upgrade tree for the stagecoach, and 2nd important in general for the estate. Priorities vary based on the player, however I find it to be one of the top things to upgrade in general. More heroes mean more healers afterall.

-Experienced Recruits
Once you get enough treasure building up and put into the estate, more seasoned adventurers start getting interested in your estate. Each level you put into Experienced Recruits gives you a chance of getting a pre-leveled adventurer in your stagecoach, complete with maximum armor and skill levels for the level they're at. Their skills and traits are still random however. An interesting bit of trivia as well, this was not added until either just before the game's full release or just after, so those who played this game a lot during early access will know how enticing this tree is. Experienced Recruits requires Paintings and Statues to upgrade, and you cannot touch this tree either until you reach certain tiers of the Blacksmith and Guild as well.

Experienced Recruits is a nice thing to have, but I never really focus on it until the endgame. Its a service meant to help bounce you back after a hefty loss later on. However, its also a great way to save money and time training up a new recruit. Getting that bit of a kickstart can help in general if you get a recruit that you haven't trained up at all.

The Tavern
"Fresh kegs, cards, and curtained rooms promise solace to the weary and the broken alike"

The Tavern is one of your two services that exist to de-stress your heroes. You have three choices when sending out heroes to have a fun time: The Pub, The Gambling Hall, or The Brothel. The services each offer a different amount of stress relief for an increasing amount of coin. Each service also comes with a bit of risk for its use, and some also come with a few benefits that can randomly occur. The Caretaker can also be seen partaking in revelry here, so he can tie up one of the rooms with his fits of madness. The Tavern needs Paintings and Crests to upgrade each service.

In general, the tavern is one of the two things I rarely upgrade if ever. At most, I will get the Brothel to level 3 just to get the second room open and subvert the Caretaker if he decides to hang out here, but honestly I have more important places to put my paintings. For beginners though, this is probably a godsend since upgrading each service reduces its costs and increases removed stress alongside the capacity upgrade, so there's some merit to upgrading the place if you're still getting a handle on this game.

-The Bar
Nothing like several glasses of your favorite alcohol to help forget about the troubles from a hard days work. The Bar is the cheapest service at the Tavern, and also provides the least stress relief. If your adventurer is only a little unhinged, or if your purse is tight, the bar's a good choice to send your soldiers to unwind. Beware though, the tavern's cheapness comes at a hidden cost: It can randomly impart either a temporary debuff on your hero or your hero can gain a quirk of dependence, only ever wanting alcohol to unwind.

-The Gambling Hall
When you're constantly on the brink of death, the thrill of victory is a great way to feel the rush of life once more! The Gambling Hall is the middle ground of stress relief, providing a decent amount of relaxation for a pricier cost. The main draw to the Gambling Hall is that it not only has the most positive benefits, but one of those benefits is basically a rebate on your costs, so there's the off-chance that this will bring back some money when all's said and done. He can also lose more cash as well, it is gambling afterall. Gambling is also an addicting thing however, with this service running the risk of having one of three quirks appearing.

-The Brothel
They say the best way to soothe one's soul is the warmth of another human. The brothel is the best play to remove stress from a hero, however its also the priciest service. If you got a hero that has gone off the deep end, this is probably one of the two services that you will be using to bring him back. The Brothel does give the off-chance of giving a temporary +5 to speed for a hero after a fun night, however that fun night can also be a rip-rousing night and exhaust the hero with -5 speed. The Brothel also comes with the risk of having your hero afflicted with Syphilis, but we have a hospital and a couple heroes that are keen at dealing with such frivolities.

The Abbey
"A man in a robe, claiming communion with god. Madness..."

The Abbey is your other local source of stress removal, offering promises of forgiveness and absolution to relieve the weight off a hero's soul. Mechanically, there's no real difference between the Tavern and the Abbey; both services offer variable costing services of stress removal at the risk of dependence or other more intimidating quirks that can appear. The main difference is that the Abbey uses Statues and Crests to upgrade, which technically is cheaper but I have more important places to put my statues toward.

The Abbey, much like the Tavern, is a service I don't focus on. I just unlock the 2nd Penance Hall room if necessary but for the most part it remains untouched. As with the Tavern however, it can help out new players a lot when they're struggling with money or stressed out heroes.

Oddly enough, there are traits that make people dependent or skeptical of the Abbey, however this does not add the "religious/atheist" tag to someone. A missed opportunity imo.

-The Cloister
The cloister is a place where heroes can empty their minds and meditate, dispelling the horrors of their mind and steeling their soul for the trials to come. The Cloister is the cheapest service and offers the least stress resist. This service however is mathematically the best possible service to get in terms of risk: You have the chance of getting two positive quirks from this service, and the negative quirks are often times unremarkable. However, there is the off-chance that your hero donates 1000g after using this, so there's still an element of risk involved.

-The Transept
The Transept is the middle ground of the abbey, providing decent stress removal at a moderate cost. The Transept also has the benefit of having the least negative outcomes from its use, however you can't gain anything positive out of prayer (a metaphor?). Amusingly enough, prayer can make you a god-fearing man, which is the game's way of saying the hero is dependent on prayer now.

-The Penance Hall
The Penance Hall is the best service in the Abbey, providing the most stress removal at the highest cost. Flagellation is interesting because it can empower a hero after overcoming such hardships with +20% damage for a mission, or the blood loss could weaken them with a -20% penalty. Luckily, usage of the Penance Hall won't result in dependenceWhoop I was wrong you can get addicted to flagellation, and it can result in one losing their faith, preventing the use of the Penance Hall and the Transept.

The Guild
"Every creature has a weakness. The wise hero trains for what she will face"

The Guild is where your heroes train in the art of war. For a small cost, you can train your heroes in new skills and make their currently learned skills much better. The Guild takes Paintings and Crests to upgrade, and you only have two trees to worry about when upgrading this service.

The Guild is the second-most important service in this game quite frankly, mainly due to how this game handles stat growth. Darkest Dungeon doesn't do growth and stats like most RPGs; Stats are more dependent on how developed your heroes are rather than how high their "level" is. To wit, a character's accuracy is entirely dependent on what skill and skill-level they use, modified by any traits you may have. Because of this, The Guild becomes a key factor for survival since a higher level skill is more likely to hit the ever-growing strength of the horrors that lie in wait. The skills in general also get better, increasing the likelihood for their status effect to proc alongside providing higher numbers for your heals and buffs. This is where a majority of your portraits should be going. Its directly related to your efficiency in battle afterall.

-Instructor Mastery
Instructor Mastery determines how high your heroes can train their levels, with each upgrade unlocking a higher tier of skill when a hero meets the appropriate level. Focus on this first and foremost. You want your heroes at the best of their abilities afterall, and how can they possibly do that when their instructors got their degree at Phoenix University? This skill is also one of the two skills that unlock pre-leveled heroes in the stagecoach, so its something you want.

-Training Regimen
This upgrade tree reduces the price of learning and upgrading skills, reducing the gold cost by 10% per each upgrade. A nice upgrade, but not necessary if things go well.

The Blacksmith
"Fan the flames! Mold the metal! We are raising an army!"

The Blacksmith is where you go to spend coin on gearing up your adventurers. Depending on your hero's level and the blacksmith's upgrades, you can give each hero a better tier of weapon and armor. The Blacksmith takes Deeds and Crests to upgrade, and this service has three upgrade trees.

The Blacksmith is the most important service you can focus on. As mentioned before, adventurer growth is dependent on their development, and the items gained from the blacksmith affect a good majority of stats on a character. A hero's weapon will determine their damage, critical hit rate, and most importantly speed. A hero's armor determines their max HP and their dodge rate. Five key stats of a hero's growth are highly dependent on the capacity of the blacksmith. This is where a good majority of your deeds are going to go, and the first thing you should focus on upgrading in your town.

-Weaponsmithing
Weaponsmithing determines how high a weapon tier you can buy, with each level unlocking a better weapon. As mentioned before, weapons determine your damage, crit rate, and speed in battle. Technically upgrading this affects your survivability in battle, however this tree is second priority on my upgrade list. I feel like armor inches out ahead in terms of importance since its directly affecting survival, but having better damage and speed can end battles faster after all.

-Armorsmithing
Armorsmithing determines how high an armor tier you can buy, with each level unlocking better armor. Armor affects max HP and Dodge, which means you'll be able to dodge more hits and take more hits in general, keeping you in the dungeon longer. I grab this first, because survival is key in storming the Darkest Dungeon and a better shield is necessary for that.

-Furnace
The Furnace reduces costs for upgrading an adventurer's weapon and armor, with each tier reducing the cost by 10%. A nice thing to have, but somewhat unnecessary. Last on my priority list for this service.

Sanitarium
"The front line of this war is not in the dungeon, but rather, inside the mind."

The Sanitarium is the place to go in order to fix your broken heroes, allowing one to remove bad quirks, lock in positive quirks, and remove diseases they may be suffering from. The Sanitarium takes Statues and Crests to upgrade, and there are three upgrade trees to focus on.

This service is a very "take it or leave it" thing to some people, and for me I take this service quite seriously. poo poo like Kleptomania, Syphilis, The Black Plague and Slowdraw are things I will spend any amount of coin to remove because of how debilitating they are. Alongside that, I'm the kind of guy that demands the best out of my soldiers, so I will spend that little extra cash to reinforce awesome traits like Quick Footed(?), Irrepressible and Hard Noggin to give my heroes the edge they need to fight off this corruption. The costs are a bit much, however the headaches they save me from suffering is a great price to pay in the long-run honestly.

-Treatment Library
This upgrade tree reduces the cost of Quirk Management by 10% for each level you put into it. If you like to fine-tune your heroes, this will be important since locking in a positive trait or removing a severe negative trait is expensive as hell and this helps. Not my top priority however, but something I focus on.

-Medical Devices
Leveling up the Medical Devices tree reduces Disease Treatment by 10% for each level, alongside increasing the chance of removing one extra disease. Probably the least prioritized tree to me since disease removal has a very low base cost, and some heroes are pretty good at removing a lot of diseases. Not a bad thing to invest in though since it gives you more value for disease removal.

-Patient Cells
Improving your Patient Cells will increase the capacity of the sanitarium's services, alternating between increasing the medical ward and the treatment ward. I focus on this first and foremost since more slots means I can fix more people in their downtime while the main team goes off an adventure. A costly endeavor though, but worth it.

Nomad Wagon
"An increasing stockpile of curious trinkets, gathered from forbidden places."

The Nomad's Wagon is the place to go if you want to get accessories, for a nominal fee. Each week she will have a different selection for sale, with each trinket varying in rarity and cost. The Nomad Wagon only needs Crests to upgrade, and it has two upgrade trees to follow.

Honestly, I don't make use of the Nomad Wagon that much, mainly due to how costly an accessory can be. It also doesn't help that you can get accessories easier from adventuring and slaying monsters, so I try to make better use of my cash. However, the wagon does provide a second avenue to get some neat and rare accessories that unlock versatility in a hero, so don't dismiss it as easily as I do.

-Wagon Size
This upgrade tree increases how many trinkets are available for purchase, making two more available with each week. Much like the Stagecoach, this is a nice way of increasing the odds of getting what you need.

-Merchant Network
This reduces the price for trinkets at the Nomad Wagon, reducing prices by 10% per upgrade. A very important upgrade tree to me, just because of the exorbitant prices that the Nomad demands.

Survivalist
"Alone in the woods or tunnels, survival is the same. Prepare, persist, and overcome"

The Survivalist is where you go to unlock camping skills during your medium and long missions. Every hero has 7 camping skills, with 4 being unique to the class and 3 being generic skills available to everyone. The survivalist only needs Crests to upgrade and only has one upgrade tree to focus on.

The Survivalist is probably the most deceptively important service you will never update. The cost of unlocking a skill is relatively low, and often times you can make due with the camping skills most heroes start with. Its nice being able to specialize your heroes further though and the survivalist allows you to do that.

-Campfire
Upgrading the campfire reduces the cost of unlocking camping skills, reducing it by 10% each upgrade. Ultimately unnecessary, but hey its money saved!

The Graveyard
"Most will end up here, covered in the poisoned earth, awaiting merciful oblivion"

The Graveyard is just a listing of everyone who died, detailing their class, level, and what they died to. A memorial to your wasted time and efforts.

Ancestor's Memories
"In time, you will understand the tragic extent of my failings..."

The Ancestors Memories, located in the center of town as a statue, is an archive of the events that have occurred in the game. If you want to re-live the stories of each boss, read up on those journal entries you picked up, or are like me and want to do dumb poo poo for a LP, this is where you go.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 12, 2016

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Signme up as Numerrik. I have no preferred classes, and would prefer my color palette to be green or purple.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Sign me up as Mael Radac baby! :black101:

No class preference.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Good writeup.

Highwang posted:

Alongside that, I'm the kind of guy that demands the best out of my soldiers,

gently caress that, they are things to be used and discarded when broken. Only those with good traits and not too damaged deserve to be somewhat fixed and given a sharper stick. The rest get shoved into the dungeon for one last supply run and then get the boot.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Quality post! Enjoying this LP so far, looking forward to every update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
A bit of a heads up, I will not be accepting people that don't put in the effort to specify at least one class. What good is a soldier that knows not his lot in life?

Fat Samurai posted:

gently caress that, they are things to be used and discarded when broken. Only those with good traits and not too damaged deserve to be somewhat fixed and given a sharper stick. The rest get shoved into the dungeon for one last supply run and then get the boot.

You're a cruel man. A dull rod can be a club and a simple stick can pierce hide when sharpened enough. I believe that any character can be good with enough...training...

• Locked thread