Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Highwang posted:

You're a cruel man. A dull rod can be a club and a simple stick can pierce hide when sharpened enough. I believe that any character can be good with enough...training...

Agreed. I'm bad at this game, and probably break way too many toons. I know I wouldn't be able to win NG+ due to the time limit, for example.

I'm genuinely interested in seeing how you work with a somewhat stable roster. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fat Samurai posted:

Agreed. I'm bad at this game, and probably break way too many toons. I know I wouldn't be able to win NG+ due to the time limit, for example.

I'm genuinely interested in seeing how you work with a somewhat stable roster. :)

A stable roster assumes we aren't all going to die.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I think of myself as a man of (admittedly finite) Jest, so sign me up if there's room. I'm told I look good in red.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I vaguely recall playing this game when it first came out and not giving a drat about the Stress mechanic and/or the negative attributes. I'm not entirely sure why on earth that was, aside from laziness. I do recall that I always spent too much money on supplies for stuff it turned out that I didn't need.

I also tended to be up to my armpits in Vestals, PDs, Jesters and Graverobbers. Hardly saw any other class.

Guess I'll give this a shot again now that someone is actually explaining the stuff - hell, I had no idea about the hidden rooms that were mentioned in the last video.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

numerrik posted:

Signme up as Numerrik. I have no preferred classes, and would prefer my color palette to be green or purple.

If I need a class, make me a Vestal.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Sign me up as a Man at Arms or a Hellion. You'll probably go through those fast.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

WELP things have obviously been rebalanced since the last time I played. And I now know why walking about with no torch can be a terrible idea. Live and learn.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

citybeatnik posted:

WELP things have obviously been rebalanced since the last time I played. And I now know why walking about with no torch can be a terrible idea. Live and learn.

Think of all the wondrous treasures you are fore-fitting by lighting your torch though!

Seriously though, dark runs are a thing. They just require a certain kit.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Highwang posted:

A bit of a heads up, I will not be accepting people that don't put in the effort to specify at least one class. What good is a soldier that knows not his lot in life?

Alright, please sign me up as one of these classes, whichever pops up and isnt claimed: Occultist or Houndmaster as KirbyKhan

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Highwang posted:

Seriously though, dark runs are a thing. They just require a certain kit.

This is one of the biggest differences between mine and my brother's play styles; I love doing dark runs with the "torch below 26" trinkets and surprise-resisting items and camp skills (I don't think there are any quirks that modify surprise, which is really odd), and he absolutely never risks it. I think the biggest issue with them is just how devastating monster critical hits are on your party, and the "hidden" bonus to their crit chance at dark/pitch black is killer (literally :v: ). "Playing" with the darkness (extinguish torch to get loot, light back up to "dim") works pretty well, but then you're spending money and inventory space on torches, which defeats the point a bit.

citybeatnik posted:

WELP things have obviously been rebalanced since the last time I played.

Yeah, things have changed a lot. I've only played the game in its more or less "modern" state (after the camp skill nerf, corpses, skill rebalancing like Hellion fatigue, etc.) so it's been really interesting to hear people talk about how it used to be.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Highwang posted:

A bit of a heads up, I will not be accepting people that don't put in the effort to specify at least one class. What good is a soldier that knows not his lot in life?

You're a cruel man. A dull rod can be a club and a simple stick can pierce hide when sharpened enough. I believe that any character can be good with enough...training...

Okay fine, make me a hound-master, man-at-arms, or crusader

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Oh I certainly do believe that dark runs are a thing, but I also suspect that you shouldn't do them with a starting party. Something else cropped up as well but I'll wait for Highwang to deal with it before I go in to details.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
For those who care about such frivolities, I've added a spreadsheet with recruitment data to the OP

So many gloryseekers. Fills my dark heart with glee.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

If you require, I would like to sign up as a Crusader.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Oh, sorry. I didn't BOLD my request, I see.

I'll sign on as a Houndmaster, or an abomination

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

citybeatnik posted:

Definitely a vast improvement over earlier on in the early access version, where dark runs were pretty much objectively better than light runs.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

I would like to sign up as bounty hunter. I just love the class so much.

e: also picking blue as the color

Dakona
May 3, 2014
I'm ready for glory and success! This place doesn't look.. too shady.

What am I?

Why, a Leper of course. Mind how close you get. The Red cloth is there for a warning.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?
I'd like so sign up as a Purple Antiquarian, Red Hellion, or blue Arbalest

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Highwang posted:

For those who care about such frivolities, I've added a spreadsheet with recruitment data to the OP

So many gloryseekers. Fills my dark heart with glee.

Sounds like there's room for more dark runs to me. :allears:

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Yo, highwang, where can a sexy young Leper named Leppy Granola catch a stagecoach to Garth Mawanghi's Darkplace?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Arbalest, Houndmaster, or Abomination, in blue or purple depending on availability.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I guess once you get to me I'd like to be brown like a fox. I figure most classes in this game have a brown option.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Skippy Granola posted:

Yo, highwang, where can a sexy young Leper named Leppy Granola catch a stagecoach to Garth Mawanghi's Darkplace?

I already have you listed! :v:

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009
I've never played this game, so sign me up as a dark white Leper.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
I remember getting my butt kicked in this game and looking up some guides; they seemed to agree on the "use em and lose em" strategy for the early game. Hire everyone you can and just throw them through easy missions until their stress is too high, then just kick them out instead of bothering to heal them. Only bother to save people with good traits, and start training those up for the harder missions. Is that still an effective strategy for a new player to this game?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

ousire posted:

I remember getting my butt kicked in this game and looking up some guides; they seemed to agree on the "use em and lose em" strategy for the early game. Hire everyone you can and just throw them through easy missions until their stress is too high, then just kick them out instead of bothering to heal them. Only bother to save people with good traits, and start training those up for the harder missions. Is that still an effective strategy for a new player to this game?

Viable and preferred. It saves money. If you wanna see, dare to compare with the up and coming episodes 5-7 on what I do.

I have a very "my way or the highway" mindset though. Games never feel fun unless I can do it my way, and the game allows that. Its wonderful.

fibio
Apr 3, 2015
Well I've never got past week five on this game, so I'll throw my head into the ring. Sign me up for whatever.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Highwang posted:

Viable and preferred. It saves money. If you wanna see, dare to compare with the up and coming episodes 5-7 on what I do.

I have a very "my way or the highway" mindset though. Games never feel fun unless I can do it my way, and the game allows that. Its wonderful.

They added in passive stress healing, so you don't HAVE to send your disturbed soldiers in to the bar to heal

Though Kleptomaniacs etc can go to hell...

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Highwang posted:

They added in passive stress healing, so you don't HAVE to send your disturbed soldiers in to the bar to heal

Though Kleptomaniacs etc can go to hell...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Out of curiosity, what's the update schedule going to be like? Once a week, whenever you have time, on the first wednesday after a waning moon, unless that date can be devided by 3, ... ?

double nine fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 5, 2016

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Make me a Graverobber, Highwayman, or Jester.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Highwang posted:

fibio posted:

Well I've never got past week five on this game, so I'll throw my head into the ring. Sign me up for whatever.

Scrub man fibio sounds like he needs to start paying attention. Maybe then scrub man will feature prominently in Highwang's Dark LP for Doomed Adventurers. :colbert:

(You gave up at week five? That's... okay. Fair enough. You'll want to be looking for good party/skill combos and study how Highwang deals with monsters. Remember, stuns are your friend.)

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

double nine posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the update schedule going to be like? Once a week, whenever you have time, on the first wednesday after a waning moon, unless that date can be devided by 3, ... ?

I'm going for twice a week, Monday and Friday if I can. To wit:

Update 3: Welcome to Sunny Weald
Today we're checking out a new zone and watching what happens when you ill-prepare your budget!

Also thanks to everyone who voted in the poll, next dungeon is going to be The Cove

Finally, some trivia: About 7 minutes in I make mention of 80% PROT Maggots. During the unveiling of the Houndmaster in early access, this was also when PROT was coded into the game and the values were loving everywhere. A notable example being maggots that had 8 health but 80% prot, and you would fight packs of four. This was the slowest fight just because you had to do roughly 8 hits per maggot since you would only do 1 damage. Luckily that was removed in about 1-2 days but it was still pretty funny.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 5, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Since no LP is complete without dumb questions, here's one: Is this game a rogue-like? The whole thing screams as such to me, but I thought I heard you guys mention set encounters in the latest video. Could be I just misunderstood what you meant.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's not a roguelike, it's a procedurally generated dungeon crawling game with elements of permadeath. :razz:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Since no LP is complete without dumb questions, here's one: Is this game a rogue-like? The whole thing screams as such to me, but I thought I heard you guys mention set encounters in the latest video. Could be I just misunderstood what you meant.

The definition of a rogue-like is the subject of a thousand screaming nerd fights, but dungeon layouts, quest generation, enemy composition, etc. are all randomized, except for a few missions. For example, the first mission you do in the ruins after the tutorial segment on the road is not randomized and is designed to show off features like traps and curios, and ease you into what a normal mission would be like. Likewise your first stagecoach always has a plague doctor and a vestal on it, because Vestal + Plague Doctor + Highwayman + Crusader is a fairly balanced workmanlike party that is sure to be capable of completing the first scripted ruins dungeon you have to go to.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Okay, but the first fight against the mushroom people and their mushroomy pets wasn't set to always show up when you first go into that one area?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Okay, but the first fight against the mushroom people and their mushroomy pets wasn't set to always show up when you first go into that one area?

No that's just poo poo luck.

Oddly enough, the Weald is a place that gets easier as the difficulty goes up just by merit of less chances to fight that pack of crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

wait, what was that at the end? You can pay a hefty sum to remove a positive trait? Why would you do that?

• Locked thread