Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
You can pay a hefty sum to lock in a positive trait so that it will not be replaced later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Don't kinkshame Highwang. Whips are hella good.

Mzbundifund posted:

The definition of a rogue-like is the subject of a thousand screaming nerd fights, but dungeon layouts, quest generation, enemy composition, etc. are all randomized, except for a few missions. For example, the first mission you do in the ruins after the tutorial segment on the road is not randomized and is designed to show off features like traps and curios, and ease you into what a normal mission would be like. Likewise your first stagecoach always has a plague doctor and a vestal on it, because Vestal + Plague Doctor + Highwayman + Crusader is a fairly balanced workmanlike party that is sure to be capable of completing the first scripted ruins dungeon you have to go to.

My definition is that a game that looks or plays like Rogue is a roguelike, while a game that just uses elements from roguelike games is a roguelite.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Can you talk a little about how you choose a party? Started playing this after seeing this LP, but having problems picking good parties. Maybe you can also use a minute in each video on how you choose that particular party?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
From my experience (which is admittedly from a build prior to this one), the checklist is as follows:

1) Do I have row coverage? Can I take out (or at least hit) a high priority target anywhere in the enemy's ranks if I really need to? (you will need to at some point)
2) Do I have a healer? If no...
3) Do I have the raw damage output/prot/dodge to just not give a gently caress about healing and murder everything before it murders me?
4) Do any two of my chosen team of four need to be in the same row to do their thing?

If your answer 1 and 2/3 is 'yes', and your answer to 4 is 'no', you're probably set to go! I await the ways in which Highwang's reply differs from my own.

Also, I hope the Grave Robber is in the next episode, because my experience with the gal is that she is a dodgetanking murder machine, God drat.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Sjonkel posted:

Can you talk a little about how you choose a party? Started playing this after seeing this LP, but having problems picking good parties. Maybe you can also use a minute in each video on how you choose that particular party?

My standard logic is based on this checklist:
-Main healer? Vestal or Occultist if its an Abom run. Vetsal in 4 or 3, Occult in 3
-Backup healer/Offensive support: Arbalest, Occult or PD. Arbalest usually goes in 4, the rest in 3
-Front-line damage: I need a guy who's able to take and deal hits, whether its spike damage or some goofy poo poo. Usually depends on where I'm going.
-Finally, damage. There's a lot of flavors of damage, so I think of where I'm going and respond to that.

I can make an info-post if people would like. Right now I just woke up for the 2nd time today so the brain servos are still booting up.

8_Escape
Dec 26, 2013
If I may request for name if I get in could I simply be called Eight please?
Assuming it's not too late.

8_Escape fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 6, 2016

fibio
Apr 3, 2015

Scribbleykins posted:

Scrub man fibio sounds like he needs to start paying attention. Maybe then scrub man will feature prominently in Highwang's Dark LP for Doomed Adventurers. :colbert:

(You gave up at week five? That's... okay. Fair enough. You'll want to be looking for good party/skill combos and study how Highwang deals with monsters. Remember, stuns are your friend.)

Whoops, okay how about an abomination then.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I'd like to throw my hat into the ring as an Offensive Jester. I have a soft spot for this class, I've had a couple of dancing bad-asses in the past which have tanked more enemies than most of my front liner's combined. This is your LP and I'd be fine taking the role as a Jester that fits your needs, but if you're up for something a little different to the mix I'd prefer a Jester with Dirk Stab and Finale.. Even if I'm used on high risk missions where survival isn't a good option, I'd rather go out fighting than strumming a guitar at the back. I don't know how to accurately sum up the kind of Jester I'm talking about, the only way I can describe it is with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LbExEydMKg

Edit: Feel free to shorten my name down in any way that suits you. Colour isn't an issue for me.

Edit Edit: After watching the first video you mentioned two other classes. If Offensive Jester isn't an option then I'd like either an Offensive Occultist or an Offensive Vestal.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 6, 2016

Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008
This thread, and having those infoposts give me a bit of direction for earlygame progression finally got me to start digging into this game properly. So far, although I haven't seen any grave robbers, man at arms, abominations, and didn't have the room for the one jester I saw, I've been having the best results from hellions, highwaymen using point blank + duelist's advance, and bounty hunters in that order. So, sign me up under that priority list! Pick whatever colour you like, as apart from some of the Jester's choices, I haven't seen anything that looks especially flashy. Speaking of the jester, though, seeing him in action in the last episode makes me really regret not making room for one in my roster. I love me a good party-wide support buffer, and that stress heal would have come in handy in a few spots.

Count me as one of the people who gleefully jump on board the Occultist's moderate-risk, big-reward healing ability. It also only took me one mission with an antiquarian to go from "I'm not sure I trust Highwang's high opinion of them" to rolling in the profits. I've also found that the "Protect Me!" skill synergizes beautifully with any riposte setup, which for me is the duelist's advance. I also lucked into some pretty decent accuracy up/melee accuracy up trinkets, which allowed me to compensate for a leper's main fault and turn him into a pretty hefty damage-dealer.

Man, though, that trip into the Weald was rough. It might have been because I played it safe and did a bunch of missions in the Ruins first, but my trips in the Weald went a lot smoother than that, though the mushroom-filled enemy party was still rough. I clearly made the right choice to play it safe and immediately snipe any slime monsters I saw, though I haven't seen the enemy party with nothing but, yet. Most importantly, I'm likely gonna keep going to the Weald for a while if only because the wiki mentions that it's the most likely place to find deeds, and I need so many of those.

All in all, thanks for drawing my attention to this game! I haven't had any horrible tragedies happen yet, but my poor habits of forgetting to assign trinkets, and even forgetting to choose a mission sometimes (had to retreat once because I sent a group of newbies against a boss accidentally) is likely gonna bite me eventually.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Edit Edit: After watching the first video you mentioned two other classes. If Offensive Jester isn't an option then I'd like either an Offensive Occultist or an Offensive Vestal.

If you get in, I can't guarantee a build for you since the latter two classes need some rather rare trinkets. Offensive Jester though is no big thing despite being a class I struggle with to say the least.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
This LP has made me start again with an old Week 5 save I had kicking around. Here's my routine before embarking:

• Unequip all the trinkets.
  • Check the missions available. I like the trinket in the Weald, and I want Deeds.
  • Check my guys. I have a couple with Weald Exploreres who can cause bleed, that's nice.
  • Prepare the team, assign trinkets. Head back to the hamlet.
  • Now that I know who to bring, and they are helpfully highlighted in the list, upgrade their weapons/armour/skills.
  • Decide who to send to recover stress.
  • Go back to the Embark screen, check the wiki, load up on equipment appropriate for the Weald (Shovels, bandages, antivenom...).
  • Quick look to check everything is ready, again. Hit embark.
  • Notice I have no torches. gently caress.

Every. Single. Time.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Highwang posted:

If you get in, I can't guarantee a build for you since the latter two classes need some rather rare trinkets. Offensive Jester though is no big thing despite being a class I struggle with to say the least.

That's fair enough, I thought it might have been a long shot and thank you for the reply. I'll revise my choices, I'll keep the Jester as my first choice but if a Hellion or Highway(Wo)man space pops up I'd be happy to fill them.

I'm really enjoying the LP by the way, I watched the first three videos back to back and I'm looking forward to what's to come. I've invested fifty hours into the game and I'm only about 75% of the way through.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 6, 2016

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I might be putting this game back down for a while. Last night I lost two Master of Arms, Reynauld (right after fixing him in the sanitarium) and Dismas (who would have jumped to level two afterwards) in back to back missions. And then the game crashed on the way back to town. I killed the Necromancer though, so go me?

:negative:

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

This LP has made me start again with an old Week 5 save I had kicking around. Here's my routine before embarking:

• Unequip all the trinkets.
  • Check the missions available. I like the trinket in the Weald, and I want Deeds.
  • Check my guys. I have a couple with Weald Exploreres who can cause bleed, that's nice.
  • Prepare the team, assign trinkets. Head back to the hamlet.
  • Now that I know who to bring, and they are helpfully highlighted in the list, upgrade their weapons/armour/skills.
  • Decide who to send to recover stress.
  • Go back to the Embark screen, check the wiki, load up on equipment appropriate for the Weald (Shovels, bandages, antivenom...).
  • Quick look to check everything is ready, again. Hit embark.

Every. Single. Time.

How. How do you do this thing?! They're like one of the first two things you should buy, along with food!

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

RickVoid posted:

I might be putting this game back down for a while. Last night I lost two Master of Arms, Reynauld (right after fixing him in the sanitarium) and Dismas (who would have jumped to level two afterwards) in back to back missions. And then the game crashed on the way back to town. I killed the Necromancer though, so go me?

:negative:

Game autosaves in every action/room module, so you didn't lose any progress. Its how they prevent save-scumming. Don't worry bruh.

Fat Samurai posted:

Happens to me too. Manageable if you have a Sader & Vestal but hella unfun when you don't intend to Darkrun.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

vdate posted:

How. How do you do this thing?! They're like one of the first two things you should buy, along with food!

Basically, I'm dumb. :downs:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Highwang posted:

Game autosaves in every action/room module, so you didn't lose any progress. Its how they prevent save-scumming. Don't worry bruh.

Oh I'm aware. Not even application death can save my Heroes from my poor leadership.

Delirare
Sep 27, 2015

Fat Samurai posted:

Basically, I'm dumb. :downs:

At least you're getting rich, so who needs smarts?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Well, the game has apparently accepted my 4 hero sacrifice (I was wrong earlier, I only lost one Master At Arms but I did also lose a Houndmaster, sorry Shag and Scoob), and in return has granted me three excellent runs, the last of which had the bonus of taking place in the ruins during and event that gives more XP for exploring the ruins and extra damage in the ruins, and my next run in the ruins will also have that benefit as that event happened again right after the mission.

Bad things are going to happen again. Soon.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Huh. I just found a red-orbed curio that wanted the touch of a flame. That escalated quickly...

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

double nine posted:

Huh. I just found a red-orbed curio that wanted the touch of a flame. That escalated quickly...

That's a really beneficial thing that you seem to be subtly leading people away from doing. Not cool man, everyone should be doing it.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
This seems fun. I want in. Can I join the festivities exploration as bman in 2288? I wanna be either an Arbalest, Abomination, or an Antiquarian. These seem like things that would be fun to do.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'd like to join in the fun as well, as a Leper, a Bounty Hunter, or an Abomination.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So I started a new campaign because ... I can't help myself sometimes and after the first non-scripted mission ...

the rng has not been kind to me (though it's partially my fault as I was a bit risky with certain curio)

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
That image just made the penny drop on how much the blue Crusader looks like he's wearing Elite Knight Armour.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

double nine posted:

So I started a new campaign because ... I can't help myself sometimes and after the first non-scripted mission ...

the rng has not been kind to me (though it's partially my fault as I was a bit risky with certain curio)

Eh. Nothing about that's debilitating barring Klepto. Fragile is a bit unsettling but he has high base HP so its not so bad.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

I started playing again thanks to this LP. I think the game hates my more than normal. It refuses to give me more healers. I have only 1 and it's too high level to go on the low level missions.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Highwang posted:

Eh. Nothing about that's debilitating barring Klepto. Fragile is a bit unsettling but he has high base HP so its not so bad.

Also he's basically maxed out on bad Quirks now, right?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

gatesealer posted:

I started playing again thanks to this LP. I think the game hates my more than normal. It refuses to give me more healers. I have only 1 and it's too high level to go on the low level missions.

Had a similar issue. Got around it by focusing on heroes that have either self heals or minor party heals and absurd amounts of food.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

gatesealer posted:

Advice for runs without a main healer: Buy lots of food and chow down on the extra in-between fights. Buy self-healing skills for those characters that have them (and keep in mind the Arbalest and Crusader's lesser party heals; these do not work as well as the Occultist's or Vestal's heals, but can combine with other party members' self-heals to make do). Play with a mindset to stun and kill monsters as quickly and reliably as possible to minimize damage (a dead monster deals no damage and a monster that never had its turn is the best kind of monster) and place trinkets that will help with either this (+dmg, +spd, +stun) or will help protect from the monsters' inevitable counter attacks (+dodge or +hp and +prot in a pinch). Use of campfire skills on medium and long runs to heal back up and/or bolster stats for a few fights (and for +scout +surprise, -ambush chance) is also useful, if not essential.

Keep in mind that it should be perfectly possible to run low level missions of small to medium length without a dedicated healer, and possible, if trickier, to run long missions. It gets harder on higher level missions, but even there you don't need a healer if you know what you're doing and you don't get screwed by the RNG. In low to mid level missions you can (to great effect) spam the Man-At-Arm's Bolster (+dodge for everyone) skill and have enemies quickly start whiffing at your party more often than not, especially if you equip +dodge trinkets on top. One can also combine the Houndmaster's Guard Dog and the Man-At-Arm's Defender to get dodge-tanking and tough-tanking coverage of the entire party.

Damage cannot be entirely avoided, but it can be mitigated. Do not be afraid of retreating if the RNG gets uppity and things start looking bleak. Live to fight another day and sell off some trinkets for the cash to supply the next mission, rather than take risks that will lose you good personnel just so you can complete that one last fight. Overconfidence, etc.

RickVoid posted:

You'd think, but no. Kinda no. Bad quirks that aren't locked can get replaced with better/worse bad quirks.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

RickVoid posted:

The quirks he does have that dont have the little skull next to them can be replaced with other quirks.

To me, ol dude would have been fired after Kleptomaniac got 'locked' in. I aint paying 10,000g just so you can go to Betty Ford to get Renauld's stealing habit under control.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

KirbyKhan posted:

The quirks he does have that dont have the little skull next to them can be replaced with other quirks.

To me, ol dude would have been fired after Kleptomaniac got 'locked' in. I aint paying 10,000g just so you can go to Betty Ford to get Renauld's stealing habit under control.

Unless you're going for a Renauld based achievement.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

citybeatnik posted:

Had a similar issue. Got around it by focusing on heroes that have either self heals or minor party heals and absurd amounts of food.

Incidentally, one of my own favorite party lineups uses this. 1 jester, 3 abominations. Fatso The Bardster eats all the food with a poo poo-eating grin while the abombers blow everything to pieces, fueled only by crumbs and body horror.

KirbyKhan posted:

That's how you get the Weeding Out The Weak achievement, though. Which - and I know this is a controversial opinion - is for the weak. Roll with the punches, says I. Surely Reynauld deserves a heap of gold and a few emeralds for his retirement plan?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New update: Episode 4: Innsmouth this is not

You asked for it, we're going to the Cove! Complete with pain incarnate and one hell of a graverobber!

Not sure what I should detail next: Team composition & Preparation, or detailing The Ruins?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I was promised fishy friends :saddowns:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Grave Robbers and Arbalests are awesome. Pick to the Face may be my favorite attack name and animation in the game.

I have to say that I understand your approach of savaging people instead of my rotating door policy, because they have made quirks depending on stress instead of the way it was while I played, which was all negative quirks all the time random.

EDIT: About what to talk about, I'd say Preparation first, and then the Ruins.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 8, 2016

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
The style of narration would be hilarious and off-putting- in a less atmospheric game. :gonk:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Klaus88 posted:

The style of narration would be hilarious and off-putting- in a less atmospheric game. :gonk:

*stomp a Goomba* Twisted! Reeling! About to break!

*crushed by a Thwomp* A powerful blow!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

My lofty position wasn't always accompanied by the fear of office, and there was a time I could walk the streets or raise a glass in the tavern without concern for molestation. Faithful as the tide, one precocious village waif made it her hobby to shadow my every errand. It was charming then, troublesome later... *coughs* Now you must select the shade of colour you desire the most, then drag the brightly covered stick to the mouth of the one who calls herself Barbie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

My lofty position wasn't always accompanied by the fear of office, and there was a time I could walk the streets or raise a glass in the tavern without concern for molestation. Faithful as the tide, one precocious village waif made it her hobby to shadow my every errand. It was charming then, troublesome later... *coughs* Now you must select the shade of colour you desire the most, then drag the brightly covered stick to the mouth of the one who calls herself Barbie.

Darkest Daydream Makovers sounds fun

• Locked thread