Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

My lofty position wasn't always accompanied by the fear of office, and there was a time I could walk the streets or raise a glass in the tavern without concern for molestation. Faithful as the tide, one precocious village waif made it her hobby to shadow my every errand. It was charming then, troublesome later... *coughs* Now you must select the shade of colour you desire the most, then drag the brightly covered stick to the mouth of the one who calls herself Barbie.

Darkest Daydream Makovers sounds fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Always funny when a Vestal gets it from spending too much time at the brothel though.

I figure vestals just like to watch. Sometimes fluids get everywhere, which is, I assume, how they would contract the clap.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Don't you dare besmirch the noble office of the adventuring bard! Uplifting music, moving poetry and a keen, ribald wit are the keys to success in any potentially deadly situation.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Barbaric Yawp is non-negotiable. Walt Whitman, motherfuckers!

E: "I too am not a bit tamed—I too am untranslatable;
I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world." -Some bullshit poem.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Man, you need to swap your priority. More DPS means less healz. If your team needs a healer, you're not doing enough damage or denying enough actions. This is how tabletop D&D 3e and Pathfinder work. Using a Druid or Cleric to heal in combat is a gross misuse of their vast combat power and force multipliers through great buffs. If a PC goes down, there wasn't enough crowd control or damage flying out of the party and sacrificing one of the most powerful team member's turns to get some chump off the floor instead of neutralizing threats is a losing game. LIVE ON THE RAZOR'S EDGE, MAAAN. ALL LIFE IS AN EPHEMERAL FEVER DREAM ACTED OUT BY MAD-MEN, AND PLEASURES ARE FLEETING PHANTASMS THAT PROMISE SUCCOR, BUT DELIVER ONLY BITTER REGRET.

Seriously, upgrade your weapons first.

I love tanking

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

It's pronounced kai-rur-geon.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

FisheyStix posted:

Aaaaaaugh, I just had my biggest disaster yet in the ruins. I saw something I've never seen before, and I will never EVER trust corridor battles again. In real life, I snapped and acquired the Paranoid trait somehow, and now I know that only death awaits us all.

What the gently caress is the Collector? What are you supposed to do against that?! I had a party of level zeroes for chrissakes!

You can run from battles. :)

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I like when a crucial team member goes on a bender and disappears for a few weeks.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Requesting an adventurer to take up my name. Any class will do as I'm fine being a warm body thrown into the grinder as Plan D. If it really matters, preference for a female class because badass chick are cool.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Yeah, 13% prot + tough skin + some other thing gives you a meaty slab of action-efficient healing to take hits. Just stack that on somebody you can mark/make guard people etc. and enjoy having your vestal free to beat people up way more often. poo poo, put it all on a melee vestal. Why not? Front row supremacy!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

It's apparently a problem if you have all four members rolling around all grabby and you're interested in mad pawn shop cash from antiques.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Really now, fellas, unless you're in critical condition back in town and you MUST haul in a bounty with your current run, flee when you bite off too much. That includes encountering bosses for the first time. If you figure out what to do but don't have the party/skills for it, run like little babies and come back better prepared. I'm not going to finish exploring a dungeon if I'm down a man or everyone is constantly one hit away from Death's Door.

I wish my tabletop rpg players would ever learn that lesson.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I just started a new game, lost Reynauld to three crits in a row on full torch and now the game is making GBS threads antiquarians on me. I have three in the stable and it's week four? Five? Three Vestals too. The gently caress game?

E:I'm barely clawing my way through dungeons because my guys keep getting mega stressed from constant crits (keeping the torch as bright as I can, just bad luck) so I've got tons of support characters while my few damage dealers and meat sacks are working off the stress at home. Week four I had to take the abomination out which made my entire team crazy by the end of the dungeon. I'm barely spending any money in town other than maybe grabbing one skill on one guy and doing one weapon or armor upgrade, but even with antiquarian loot, I'm going broke trying to provision my guys. I think I'll get my footing in a few weeks, but this run started out rough. On the bright side Dismas has gotten a bunch of great traits!

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 27, 2016

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Tylana posted:

I wonder if some people transform Abominations too much. I treat their beast mode like Houndmaster dog biscuits, mostly.

By which I mean forget about them until halfway through the fight which would you should have used them at the start of.

I forgot to check his skills before throwing mine into the dungeon in a desperate week three. The only thing he could do in human form was heal his stress and hp. :downs:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Tylana posted:

That is an issue of positioning. All Abominations know all their skills at least any time when I've played. The inability to work from Rank 1 is a big PITA though. And they have 0 abilities at Rank 4 IIRC.

It has been a really long time since I sat down and played Darkest Dungeon for more than one dungeon run once every month or so. I completely forgot about abominations working like that.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

One thing I only recently discovered is that you can change around skills while you're actually in the dungeon :doh:

Whaaaaaa? Was that a post-EA thing?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Finally got caught up on all the videos, and I must say for a game that I've heard is so incredibly lethal I'm surprised no one's died yet despite all the close calls.

Although I have to ask, is the game always this dark and gloomy? I'm getting some distinct Cthulu Mythos vibes from the setting and the narrator/ancestor especially.

If it makes you feel better, I've already ground up three adventurers and it's only week 7 on my file! I'm massaging an A-Team, but I decided everyone else was expendable until I get some breathing room. Profits...have significantly increased.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Oh man, I got the +20% prot head and some +15% prot boots in the same run. Now I just need to pamper a few meat sacks and make them into consummate brick walls.

The AI has really enjoyed ignoring my marked, guarding, buffed, riposting front liners and just pouring crits on my squishes in the back, though. This new game just hates me so much. At least I have a good cash flow going now on top of this growing pile of RNG bullshit corpses.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Buff first, debuff second if you need to.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I made it to the end of a years-long Call of Cthulhu tabletop game that capped off with Tatters of the King. It was super cool because we had the same core players for the better part of a decade, and we'd just occasionally do some Cthulhu. Everyone had really gotten into a groove with their characters, old or new (characters turn over pretty frequently in CoC from violence and madness) and could really get into the horror mystery mood.

After the meat of the module, which probably took us a couple months of sessions to get through, the party ended up in Carcossa surrounded by horrors that hounded and corralled us until we were faced at last with the King in Yellow itself standing on some sort of cosmic causeway. It wanted one thing. It wanted to know where our home was. All we had to do was steer the bastard in the wrong direction to send him off course and save the Earth. Well, we failed, as far as I know. One-by-one my companions fell under HIS spell and started to point out the astral path to Earth, forcing my character to execute lifelong friends, lovers and trusted comrades in turn. I lit the bastard on fire to buy time when I was the last one left, which of course did nothing. As the King lifted my grizzled, alcoholic private eye up by the neck, the gun I had pressed to my temple fell to the ground and I pointed towards home.

gently caress Hastur.

Great way to end a campaign though.

The Collector is a great guy. I love when he pounces on my half-dead party.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Someone should yell ":boom:" when they crit. Yes, with the colons.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Rotating, single-band-themed jester quote sets would be cool.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Lol if you don't kill Wilbur first every time.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

IMJack posted:

She upheld her vows and kept her virtue for her King, such was the depth of her faith...

Almost perfect, but needs one white sparkle-glove.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Murdering piles of people in close combat will gently caress you up. Reynault probably just saw his family standing there and decided it wasn't worth bringing his scars home. Better that they wonder than know the truth.

Where is he going to even stable that red-eyed destrier, anyway? His horse has probably killed dozens of men. He can't have that poo poo at his house.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

In Lovecraft's very faint defense, people did, in fact, give racist as hell names to their pets.

For instance, there is a plaque at the Hoover Dam dedicated to a stray dog that the workers adopted which became a part of the life and folklore of the dam. The modern plaque makes no mention of Little Niggy's name. It's an odd thing to leave a name out of an entire story about a dog, and even stranger not to state it on a plaque in its honor. You think they'd just make up a name if they were that embarrassed.

This .gov site makes no mention of the name, but you can find Little Niggy easily enough.

http://www.usbr.gov/lc/hooverdam/history/articles/dog.html

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Neverwhere lies Lucien; t'was a shambler his poo poo did Pucien

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Also if you sandbag too long, your party members start complaining and giving each other stress. Because a running theme of this game is that you're minions are idiots.

Hanging around in mortal combat and thus making even more noise and commotion to attract attention in a claustrophobic basement filled with otherworldly horrors sounds kinda stressful, actually. This sort of thing is what the (very old school) D&D wandering monster rolls were for, to keep pressure on the party to keep moving.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

3 jive turkeys. Busta-rear end adversaries, malformed momma's boys.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Curious is the pie-baker's art. Diabetes caused unwitnessed by his own eyes.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Why are American style (specifically Ameritrash) board games so bad? Is it the hundreds of pieces? The convoluted rules? The fact that they take eight goddamned hours to play, assuming you have a group of people who are actually familiar with the game and stay on task? Who loving keeps designing them? Who keeps paying for them to be manufactured?

As an example of extremes, consider two popular classic war games: Axis & Allies is a frustrating clusterfuck of hundreds of pieces and tech levels and production points and buckets of dice, while Diplomacy barely even has any pieces to move on the board and there are no dice. One of the two is much more exciting than the other to play. I'll let you guess which one that is.

I bought Descent, played it twice, and now I just use the minis and tiles for D&D as it's far less complicated to actually run a proper RPG instead of that nightmare. I was hoping for a modern Warhammer Quest with some new ideas and leaner mechanics, but the game was somehow clunkier and less intuitive than an ancient Games Workshop game.

I mention Descent and Warhammer Quest as they share quite a bit of DNA with Darkest Dungeon.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

NGDBSS posted:

Which edition of Descent did you play? The first is a complicated mess (and I say this as someone who owns nearly everything for it but who uses the pieces for the same thing as you), while the second is notably slimmed down and streamlined.

I'm assuming the first. It was a number of years ago. I'm still painting my way slowly through the minis (because I always have too many figures), and since they are technically part of a game, I am keeping their white/red color-coding for rules purposes, either on the bases or in the paint schemes.

I've moved on to lighter, minimal prep RPG stuff. I spend a fair chunk of prep time before a campaign setting up a cool sandbox and then I just improv, take notes (and review them before a session) and occasionally call a 5 minute break to scheme if I need to. Half the time maps and miniatures don't get used during a session any more, so I'm not really looking for a game to fill the space that I intended Descent to fill.

Then here I am writing my own RPG with more crunch than I'd probably want to deal with while running a game. What am I doing with my life?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Yapping Eevee posted:

The best Bard in a videogame is Deekin Scalesinger, the kobold companion from Neverwinter Night's expansions. Obviously.

The best bard in a tabletop game was Brunhilda Stonerockhammergoldsilversmithshieldsonsdottir. She was a dwarven bard because her clan, Stonerockhammergoldsilversmithshield, had lost the blessings of the gods and could no longer produce clerics, so they used bards for healers.

She was on a grand quest to restore her people's divine mandate, so no son or daughter of clan Stonerockhammergoldsilversmithshield would have to bear the shame of barddom ever again.

She ended up being the party tank, heals and main dps because my friends were apparently trash at 3.5 char op and action economy.

I wish I had her portrait. I gave her braided chest hair and the loveliest beard.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

If you want a fantasy bard woman with a proper axe, reaper minis has you covered. They have the model in Bones too. Half the price, slightly less detail.

https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/bard/latest/03098

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Elbo posted:

So what is the argument against unequipping trinkets every mission? I feel like it could only make sense super late game when you have multiples of the rare trinkets that you always want to bring. The existence of the unequip all button makes it feel like it was intended for you to just redo trinkets every time as part of the preparation.

The argument against is if you repeatedly forget to re-equip your teams. Not that I'd know.

• Locked thread