Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007

Pea posted:

But back to the game! Can someone tell me Why AoE or DoT attacks, I forgot which one, are considered newbie traps? So far, I've been running around in novice and veteran dungeons blighting and bleeding to my hearts content and doing fine.
- DoT puts enemies on a timer. With the right trinkets and party mix you can easily take out big chunks of hp. Also, it creates space for healing or destressing people when the last few enemies are about to die to DoT.
- AoE is great for taking out weak enemies and hurting stronger ones. Or if you're like me and usually don't bring any "clear all corpses" skills, just removing a corpse and setting up a live enemy to die next turn.

For AoE it's about action economy. Incoming enemy damage is the same whether they're at half health or dead, so bursting an enemy down quickly means less damage incoming. Especially if that enemy deals stress damage. Cutting down the number of enemies and then taking it slow to give yourself a chance to recover is also FAR more important on higher difficulty levels. Hence the newbie trap. Sure, you can build a viable party focused on maximizing total damage through AoE and it'll be viable early game, but you'll find yourself taking a lot of damage and not having the chance to heal later on.

DoTs in general are pretty well balanced; it's knowing how and when to use them that's important. Enemy DoTs get a LOT scarier in higher difficulty levels, relative to raw damage.

Hermetian fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007

Jenner posted:

Every character that is healing is a character that is not KILLING THE PROBLEM. Spending a turn doing a self heal to keep from dying is just snowballing your inevitable TPK more. Especially if enemies have an AOE that damages or stresses multiple characters (or both!)

Heal when you've got the enemy down to 1-2 guys. Starting a fight in good health means you can focus on damage and not emergency heals. Remember that you get two full turns AFTER the first turn that you're down to one enemy; if you have a lot of characters who can heal you can use that to recover.

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007

WarpedLichen posted:

I guess that works if you have at least 3 characters capable of healing? I think most enemies will outpace your healing turn for turn.

When it's 4v4, absolutely. When they're down to 2, the action economy tilts in your favor and stun + regen really starts to work well. Having off-healers is good not because you're going to be damage racing the enemy but because you can use them at the end of battles.

Even just knowing how to take advantage of the free turns on the last enemy can mean the difference between a comfortable run and slow attrition.

Hermetian fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 7, 2017

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007

double nine posted:

In short the human species in the darkest dungeon universe tethers on the edge of destruction, but if we can keep the evil at bay for long enough ... eventually someone will build a nuke to destroy it, or we'll build a rocket and blast off of this rock. That's a massive if, but I do like the occasional optimistic ending in a lovecraft setting.

The crawling chaos beyond time and space v. Elon Musk

• Locked thread