Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'd like to join in the fun as well, as a Leper, a Bounty Hunter, or an Abomination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This is now my headcanon.

"We're doing all we can. but I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now."

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

gbuchold posted:

I would pay cashmoney for a set of high-quality narrator ringtones.

Dazed. Reeling. About to break.

Here you go, on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy1RoYlej6xWqRRci7K_OuQWa-7UgG0uo

There are more here: https://soundcloud.com/powerupaudio

I particularly like this one: https://soundcloud.com/powerupaudio/darkest-tip-bonus-b?in=powerupaudio/sets/darkest-dungeon-the-ancestral :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Thanks to this LP, I've begun playing DD again. I seem to be doing a lot better than I did when I played it before, I used to overspend on upgrading everything and often had no money left over for supplies. For a while I also tried just brute-forcing everything with no torches, which just ended up ruining me on de-stress costs.

One thing I only recently discovered is that you can change around skills while you're actually in the dungeon :doh:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Pvt.Scott posted:

Whaaaaaa? Was that a post-EA thing?

I don't know how long it's been there, but you can definitely right-click on your heroes and change skills while you're in-dungeon.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

StoryTime posted:

Oh man. XML is funnier than most memes.

Linus Torvalds posted:

XML is crap. Really. There are no excuses. XML is nasty to parse for humans, and it's a disaster to parse even for computers. There's just no reason for that horrible crap to exist.

As always, Linus is 100% correct.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Halser posted:

I'm not sure I understand.

LogicalFallacy posted:

Neither do I, but I think that's the point.

StoryTime posted some typically crappy XML, I posted a quote about the crappiness of XML, that I had just read recently.

XML is poo poo that I have to deal with every day at work.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

RareAcumen posted:

Well that's to be expected, since this isn't a blind LP.

And it isn't really that lethal in the apprentice-level dungeons we've seen so far, as long as you keep your torch nice and bright and make sure to always have a healer on your team.

It gets really hairy in full darkness and in the higher-difficulty dungeons.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Halser posted:

secret rooms are basically a free 2500-7500 gold.

I haven't found a single secret room yet :(

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Scribbleykins posted:

Difficulty works through the gradual leveling up of your heroes. There are 3 set tiers of difficulty: Apprentice (Resolve lvl 0-2), Veteran (3-4) and Champion (5-6). A hero with Veteran Resolve (lvl 3-4) will refuse to participate in Apprentice tier missions, forcing you to bring them to Veteran missions (or Champion, but don't) to level them further. The more heroes you have of a particular level the more missions will appear on the various dungeons set to that particular difficulty tier, but there will usually be at least 1 mission of each difficulty tier (as long as your heroes qualify for them).

This is also why it's not worth it to start over with a new save file once you've started upgrading the twon. As long as you've leveled up the caravan to bring at least 4 heroes each time, you can play forever with disposable n00b adventurers. Just go for a low-level dungeon, get as far as you can before running away with whatever loot you can gather. Rinse, repeat, start beating dungeons again once you have enough money for provisions.

Leveling the town is the most important progression in DD. Heroes are replaceable, but town upgrades are forever.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just love watching manchildren go apeshit crazy and smash stuff because their precious video games screw them over :allears:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

IMJack posted:

She upheld her vows and kept her virtue for her King, such was the depth of her faith...

:five: :eyepop:

Someone please mod that in ASAP.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Elusive, evasive, persistent. Righteous traits for a smooth criminal

Send it to the narrator dude, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind recording a few joke lines.

He did the "Truly, this is the dankest dungeon" one, after all.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ousire posted:

I like the canon boss because it continues the theme of the Ancestor having terrible, terrible ideas. "Oh, the people are getting upset at me, what should I do? I know, I'll hire a bunch of mercenaries to shell them into submission."

Pretty much sums up the entire backstory.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Attestant posted:

The cannon is the Darkest Dungeon equivalent of a car punching minigame.

Oh, you had to punch the car? :doh:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BurningStone posted:

The trick is to realize you can't actually lose. You'll suffer setbacks, sure, but the game won't end. Hero dies? Get another one off the stagecoach. Trinket lost? It just returns to the pool to be found again. Have to retreat from a mission? Only means one week passes. Once you understand people are expendable, you're unstoppable!

You can lose if all your heroes die, and you haven't upgraded the stagecoach to bring enough heroes for a full party. But since most people probably upgrade the stagecoach as soon as possible, it really shouldn't happen very often, so the only real setback is that you probably won't be able to get the achievement for beating the Darkest Dungeon in X weeks or less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Psychorider posted:

The stagecoach will always have enough heroes to bring you up to 4, even if you haven't upgraded it. An easy way for that to happen is to lose someone in the tutorial, there will be 3 or 4 heroes when you get to the hamlet.

Oh, that's pretty cool actually, I didn't know that.

• Locked thread