Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
If signups are still happening, I volunteer as a Grave Robber, Vestal, or Antiquarian.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RareAcumen posted:

Shame, that sounds dumb as hell and I can't stop laughing at the concept of it.

For all discussion of weird, wonderful, and awful game mods, we have such things to show you up in Games.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Finally got caught up on all the videos, and I must say for a game that I've heard is so incredibly lethal I'm surprised no one's died yet despite all the close calls.

Although I have to ask, is the game always this dark and gloomy? I'm getting some distinct Cthulu Mythos vibes from the setting and the narrator/ancestor especially.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

vdate posted:

What, with the Occultist giving off such strong Abdul Alhazred vibes? Never! (also fishmen)

Basically, the answer to your questions, implicit or otherwise, is 'yes on all counts'.

The sanity mechanic was also a big tip-off. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ZeroCount posted:

he literally uses the exact same tentacle animation as the cultists

And by implication of the narrator, it's living under the PC's house. Meaning the game will probably end with the adventurers killing its corporeal body but the experience drives them and the PC so insane that they become its replacement body or some such.

I'll be very surprised if the game goes "Congratulations, the evil is destroyed, your evil ancestor laid to rest, everyone goes home and lives happily ever after save for the lifelong cases of PTSD."

I am enjoying the LP, though. Not sure it's my cup of tea to pick up myself, but the LP is funny and informative and has been doing a great job showing off the game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JamieTheD posted:

Well, how could I resist making some Dankest Propaganda?

I have no artistic skills, but I'm reminded of the tagline for the first Alien vs Predator game: "Why be afraid of the dark, when even in the light you can't see them coming?"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Seconding this. Modding things here and there is fine, but please don't over do it and overshadow the atmosphere of the game.

I have to agree. It's funny, sure, but don't go overboard.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

The Hag and Pot are both large creatures, taking up two spots each. The Pot takes up spots 1-2, and the Hag is in 3-4. Both the Pot and the Hag can't be moved, so you need attacks that can hit the back row to deal with the Hag. This is problematic for classes like the Leper and Crusader since the majority/all of their attacks target rows 1-2. It is a good idea to bring classes with easy access to back row damage, such as the Arbalest, Houndmaster, Occultist and Hellion (my preferred team for this fight).

The biggest issue with this fight is the Hag pulling someone in and messing up your formation. For example, if you have a Houndmaster in Rank 2 and the Rank 1 unit is pulled in, the Houndmaster moves forward to rank 1 and cannot use their Hound's Rush skill (+damage vs. marked targets) since it can only be used in ranks 2-4. Therefor, you might want to check the attack ranges on your units before going into the fight and move people around since you are on a much tighter time frame to kill the Hag via the Pot damage.

Don't have this game myself so I'm just spitballing, but the plague doctor sounds like it would be good here if you can build up her HP. Blight up the hag and then don't worry too much if she's put in the pot.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Apep727 posted:

Hey, whatever helps keep the nightmares away.

I looked at the wiki for this game. The second journal entry from the Ancestor seems to explicitly say yeah they were boinking before she got weird.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Star Wars: The Old Republic has a fight like that, too, in a raid. You're up against Master and Blaster, a tiny little astromech droid and a giant war machine. Do not gently caress with Master.

More on topic, isn't there an achievement for getting killed by Wilbur?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Apep727 posted:

Though I doubt HPL wold have been willing to risk his life delving into ruins and sewers to restore his family to greatness.

Well, no. The PC in this game hires people to do it for him (or possibly her).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

whowhatwhere posted:

Wasn't the answer basically "I was bored and rich as gently caress"?

This is a gothic setting. Being bored, decadent, and up to unspeakable horrors is just what the aristocracy does in these settings.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ousire posted:

I like the canon boss because it continues the theme of the Ancestor having terrible, terrible ideas. "Oh, the people are getting upset at me, what should I do? I know, I'll hire a bunch of mercenaries to shell them into submission."

Also, it's decorated with shields hanging from the sides, one of which looks extremely similar to the Man-At-Arm's hazard stripes shield. And the Man-At-Arm's comic features cannons that look remarkably similar to the Pounders, with the same slotted shield thing in the front. So there may be a connection between the Man-At-Arms and the brigands that the Ancestor hired.

And hey, the Pounder and crew would definitely make short work of the Necromancer if they were pitted against each other, probably the Flesh too. And the Hag and Siren if they grabbed someone other than the matchman. Swine Prince is the only boss so far I could see the Pounder having trouble with.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Quillpaw posted:

Add one more to the list of people that have bought the game because of this LP. I'd heard of the game before this thread, but you totally sold me! Wish my luck was as good as yours has been, though.

I'm in the opposite boat, I'd considered buying this game but this LP convinced me not to. It looks like a very well-crafted game with a lot of charm and atmosphere to it, but not my cup of tea.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tarezax posted:

There's quite a few JRPGs that sort of have bards as casters, usually as women that drop fireballs on enemies with the power of song.

Pillars of Eternity has the Chanter class, who sing for party buffs and build up charges for each verse sung. Then they can drop a big "gently caress you" spell/summon once they've built up enough charges.

Sirin in Tyranny is more or less a bard and likewise a very strong party member.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Still, I like the idea that in this gothic-themed Cthulu-inspired game with all its bizarre and eldritch enemies, a simple cannon crewed by ordinary humans qualifies as a boss.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Thanks for the LP, was a lot of fun to watch.

That being said, this LP convinced me not to buy the game. In large part from the ending. Thematically appropriate, maybe, but I like to end a game feeling like I've accomplished something. I disagree with the thought that the game does something different with the usual cosmic horror tropes, and my reaction to cosmic horror stories has always been "Okay, so why are we bothering with this story/game, then?" Darkest Dungeon does not provide a satisfactory answer to that question for me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Veloxyll posted:

It's still a victory, the beast is put to sleep for a few lifetimes. I mean ,sure, it ate a few of the people we brought in to help. but for some years, the Dark Place Hamlet will know peace.

Except for the ending immediately showing the newest sap about to start the cycle all over again. I'd have been happier with the ending if it had made it clear that you did make a meaningful difference, if not for the world as a whole then at least for a time. Instead it gave me the distinct feeling that it's about to start all over again, and very soon.

Kinda goes hand in hand with fighting every single boss three times and every zone staying exactly the same. Nothing you do matters. It's just the same pointless battles over and over again, you're not changing anything or making a lick of difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Donkringel posted:

Does anyone have the unique dialogue for all the characters?

I checked the wiki out of curiosity, and it has everyone but the antiquarian and musketeer.

Abomination: Whatever awaits, it cannot be worse than what I've endured.
Arbalest: Please no, I want to live!
Bounty Hunter: ...hm.
Crusader: Unholy foulness! I will take you with me!
Grave Robber: A proper lady does not volunteer herself for slaughter!
Hellion: Send me to hell then! AAAKLYORAAAHHH!
Highwayman: No way out, hmph. Let's do this.
Houndmaster: Steady, girl. If we're called, we answer.
Jester: Hah! The jokes's on me then...?
Leper: Spare the others, I am ready.
Man-At-Arms: I go with a clear conscience. I've given my all.
Occultist: Finally, the face of my tormentor. Come, then.
Plague Doctor: Not me! I am a learned scholar!
Vestal: I-it's too horrible! Noooo!

• Locked thread