Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

Just blitzed through the two videos. This is some good stuff.

Darkest Dungeon is a fantastic way to gauge people's risk assessment. I've seen 3 different people play this game and each person has a completely different scale from which they value certain skills, party arrangements, and upgrade priorities. It's absolutely fascinating to see how each person goes into their OCD checklists, and how the order and level of detail they go into differ.

Could you sign me up as an adventurer? KirbyKhan

I agree with this. I just played through this in the past month, and looking around afterwards to see how other people approach it is super interesting. For example, in my opinion vestals are the second worst class in the game (poor jester). Pretty early I developed a preference for max damage and stuns, taking advantage of classes with strong self heal and off heal, making up the difference when needed by just using a little food. The vestal's poor damage, accuracy, and weak stun didn't mesh with my playstyle at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

The "Get 3 items" quests are the worst for just this reason.

That's 3000+ gold you're asking me to pass up there pal.

The town events patch made this a lot better. Now all the "collect/activate three" quests trigger unique events that make them a lot more worthwhile. Giving up a couple grand in loot is a lot more appealing when it can get you a free round of quirk, disease, and/or sanity treatment that would normally cost ten times as much.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010
The only thing darkest dungeon expects you to do is pay attention. Apprentice dungeons and bosses can be brute forced with just about anything, and the penalties for failure are extremely minor. They exist to introduce you to enemy behaviors, and you're expected to use the information you gain as you move forward. By the time you hit champion the game is essentially a puzzle, trying to assemble teams to perfectly counter whatever you're getting into.

The game expects you to make mistakes, but it also expects you to learn from them. Which is what makes it so satisfying, if you're the type who gets frustrated with games that reward you for just showing up, or expect you to do extensive research outside the game to get anywhere.

• Locked thread