Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Highwang posted:

On the kickstarter accessories, a lot of them are surprisingly well-balanced. Naturally there are a few outliers that are comically overpowered (lol 4 buffs and only downside is -deathblow resist vs beasts), but many accessories are actually halfway decent and promote unique ways of playing the game without taking over the role of say Junia's Head/Cresendo Box/Blasphemous Vial. I know the two accessories that the thread has provided are really good, but I'm also partial to accessories like the Headhunter's Herbs, Winston's Revenge and "The Boots of Much Kicking." I kind of want to bring some to the main LP file, but I'm curious what you all think about it.

Headhunter's Herbs is drat good, without being totally broken or cheaty. If you start using trinkets, you should try showing off the better ones first, and not the ones that have negatives that never apply.

Oooh, and I see you had my kickstarter backer stuff, Cinos and the Scion's Resolve, out there! And used them both - the Resolve on Sanagi, unless I miss my guess. If you continue testing out things like this, you should really look at testing the 2x HWMs and the PBS spam method using (kickstarter, if necessary) trinkets that gives +Speed and/or -Speed to ensure one nearly always goes before the other. Obviously, if there's +damage on the trinkets, too, that just helps wreck whatever's up front all the faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
I'm slightly mad your friends ended up talking over the boss narration. Hearing more of Wayne June's stellar VO-work is like the chief reward you get out of finishing all the boss fights. :argh:

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Scribbleykins posted:

I'm slightly mad your friends ended up talking over the boss narration. Hearing more of Wayne June's stellar VO-work is like the chief reward you get out of finishing all the boss fights. :argh:

Forgot to add: but their reaction to Decadent's ignoble death made everything Ok again. :v:

Of course, if you want to make your LP truly comprehensive, you can always use the Town's cutscene replay function in a future video!

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Highwang posted:

New Update - Episode 52: Necromancer Lord

Chitlin and I visit an old friend for the last time, though the recent updates have made him a bit more of a hassle to deal with.

Talks about ranged attackers who can use the Ancestor's Pistol - doesn't mention Highwayman, the only gun-wielding adventurer with a slew of ranged skills. :arghfist::(

(At least if you discount the Musketeer - a cool-looking Arbalest reskin for kickstarter backers.)

Thanks for appreciating our contributions, though. :)

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'd complain about that level of luck, but I've had it myself, so I can't.

Getting real hyped for the last six videos, though!

And I know you said four, but I assure you we'll want to watch at least a couple of the failure runs and your reaction to them. :unsmigghh:

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ah... We Are The Flame. In which Highwang enters the Darkest Dungeon and dreadful truths are discovered which sadly prove to be but appetizers to a heartier meal.

It's time to eat up, Highwang. ́͠͠͝É͠͠͝A͟͡T̡͝ Ú̡͝͠͠͝P

But yeah, no, unsurprisingly, getting to the Darkest Dungeon is the greatest part of the Darkest Dungeon! The Devs knew what they were doing, and they played it to the hilt. poo poo's hosed up, yo, and the really great part is that the downward slope has only just begun! This is arguably the easy dungeon.

My own first run of the first dungeon was done with three +Virtue'd trinked out Abominations and a +Dodge trinked out Jester (and a fat stack of food), since I'd heard both bleed and stress was a factor. I also figured it'd be a fitting way for the poor Fool to go. It worked remarkably well, and I had two Virtue'd abominations come the boss. It went down HARD. The by now crazy-pants Jester even survived the two or three Death's Doors it took to bring it down!

A+ strat, would leave a jester cackling maniacally at his (mis)fortune again. Sadly, this success was not repeated in my first run of the second dungeon...

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Highwang posted:

Its supposed to be conveying a glimpse of the true horror that lies below, however I don't think they wanted to spoil it so they didn't make it 100% accurate. Plus its a giant loving eyeball staring at you, that poo poo's kinda unnerving.

Giant, indeed. It may be the scale of the revelation that's so disturbing, since the eye appears to have a bunch of stars surrounding its squirming tendrils.

And now, Lighting The Way!

On my very first run I stumbled into the worst boss fight first and promptly lost half my party members. After that painful experience, I plonked down my A team, which at the time consisted of an arbalest, a vestal and two hellions. They made gratifyingly short shrift of the horrors... leaving me with only b-list candidates for the third dungeon. Which you apparently had a short run in?

... that didn't involve your party's hideously torturous deaths?

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
First off: you son of a bitch, Highwang.

Belly of the Beast is a painful mission. My first time 'round, I decided to go for broke and brought a Man At Arms, Hound Master, Highwayman, Highwayman combo, thinking I could use the Guard actions to protect my main damage dealers with dodge/tank tomfoolery. Going in entirely blind, I encountered... difficulties with this approach, and although it actually kind of worked, I understocked on necessary consumables. Thanks to the abundance of firewood this mission gives you, I did, however, somehow manage to eventually stumble upon and almost kill the final cyst (emphasis due to utter frustration), before losing, to inevitable circumstance, the man at arms and a highwayman (by being teleported to the rear end end of nowhere and having to trek back). Forced to retreat, the hound master covered my last highwayman's escape, so at least not the trinkets were a loss.

For my second try, I decided to go with a party that had actual healing, picking an Occultist, a Plague Doctor, a Grave Robber and a Bounty Hunter, and making sure my packs were actually fully loaded with the appropriate consumables. Although even more frustrated by enemy trash spawn composition than the previous run, and low on literally everything by the end, this was a good party for dealing with the cysts, the bounty hunter being a complete wrecking ball against them while marked, the occultist doing marks, w/fair damage and healing and the plague doc and grave robber helping with stuns that delayed the more dangerous and frustrating abilities. The true victory was in getting there past all of everything.

At that point I had only 4 level 6 heroes left in my roster, the bare minimum needed to finish the game without a depressing amount of grinding.

It is perhaps telling of what this game does to you that I had no compunctions about sending in 4 level 0 heroes to test the waters and give me some understanding of what final horror awaited my chosen few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Thank you for running us through the Darkest Dungeon, Highwang! It's been quite a trip. I hope you'll show off the DLC when it arrives, and also show off at least one or two of the more... esoteric party requests you've received over the course of this thread.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

You are.

It's implied you're the ghost in the opening cinematic, and there's a relic in the Stygian tutorial where you try to warn Dismas or Reynauld. You just instantly give them 100 stress.

My first New Game+ I had Reynauld interact with the ghost, and he promptly virtue'd of it, which had me laughing my rear end off. Sometimes these profusions of knight-errant flesh throw the endless cycle for a real loop.

As a few have commented, completing the game is an incredibly satisfying experience, and although the ending may at first leave you a bit ambivalent I definitely like it. It's appropriately lovecraftian in a truer sense of the word than many supposedly mythos-themed games. There's sadly no stinger or additional rewards for completing the New Game+ mode, and while I feel there's a missed opportunity there, Red Hook is clearly not done with the game. Indeed, the stinger may be coming with the Crimson Court DLC... mosquito boss

Hunt11 posted:

Time to finally post a video showing how you can cheese even the final boss of the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGsTZtH8308

Fun fact: Using a Leper and 3x plague doctors may be one way to go about it, but there's a far easier way to avoid having the heart horribly consume two of your heroes.

It's getting the useless saps killed earlier in the fight. :eng101:

(Which is how I won my first darkest dungeon without even knowing about the Heart's rather excellent and terrifying gimmick.)

• Locked thread