Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I think of myself as a man of (admittedly finite) Jest, so sign me up if there's room. I'm told I look good in red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
From my experience (which is admittedly from a build prior to this one), the checklist is as follows:

1) Do I have row coverage? Can I take out (or at least hit) a high priority target anywhere in the enemy's ranks if I really need to? (you will need to at some point)
2) Do I have a healer? If no...
3) Do I have the raw damage output/prot/dodge to just not give a gently caress about healing and murder everything before it murders me?
4) Do any two of my chosen team of four need to be in the same row to do their thing?

If your answer 1 and 2/3 is 'yes', and your answer to 4 is 'no', you're probably set to go! I await the ways in which Highwang's reply differs from my own.

Also, I hope the Grave Robber is in the next episode, because my experience with the gal is that she is a dodgetanking murder machine, God drat.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

This LP has made me start again with an old Week 5 save I had kicking around. Here's my routine before embarking:

• Unequip all the trinkets.
  • Check the missions available. I like the trinket in the Weald, and I want Deeds.
  • Check my guys. I have a couple with Weald Exploreres who can cause bleed, that's nice.
  • Prepare the team, assign trinkets. Head back to the hamlet.
  • Now that I know who to bring, and they are helpfully highlighted in the list, upgrade their weapons/armour/skills.
  • Decide who to send to recover stress.
  • Go back to the Embark screen, check the wiki, load up on equipment appropriate for the Weald (Shovels, bandages, antivenom...).
  • Quick look to check everything is ready, again. Hit embark.
  • Notice I have no torches. gently caress.

Every. Single. Time.

How. How do you do this thing?! They're like one of the first two things you should buy, along with food!

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
That image just made the penny drop on how much the blue Crusader looks like he's wearing Elite Knight Armour.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Glaive17 posted:

Yeah, I had a game once where someone lost Dismas' Head by gambling. :( I rarely use gambling anymore.

Heroes can also get absurdly drunk and lose trinkets! My Man at Arms lost a lovely class-specific rare on a bender.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Yapping Eevee posted:

All I can say about this LP is that I wish it updated more often, because otherwise I'm going to end up buying this for myself. :allears: It looks like good fun, though the inability to save-scum and the need to juggle so many things always worries me.

The inability to save-scum and the need to juggle stuff is the entire point! You don't game over or anything when your party wipes, and heroes are more or less perfectly replaceable - the only things you lose when they die are the XP and gold that went into getting them to where they are. (And their trinkets, if it's a total wipe. Else you get to keep those as well.)

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Dangit, Highwang! 'Liberal' and 'Libertarian' are not the same thing!

Also, are you, like, allergic to Rake or something? When you already had a 25% damage buff on your Abomination, it would have taken one Rake to be doing 100% damage to both frontrow targets and would have cleared corpses beautifully to boot.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
For reference, I'm moderately certain that https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=623425061 is the mod Highwang is talking about, and some of these honestly do make me giggle.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Finally got caught up on all the videos, and I must say for a game that I've heard is so incredibly lethal I'm surprised no one's died yet despite all the close calls.

Although I have to ask, is the game always this dark and gloomy? I'm getting some distinct Cthulu Mythos vibes from the setting and the narrator/ancestor especially.

What, with the Occultist giving off such strong Abdul Alhazred vibes? Never! (also fishmen)

Basically, the answer to your questions, implicit or otherwise, is 'yes on all counts'.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
That was a miss, Highwang, not a dodge. They're not the same thing!

edit: also the video is up on youtube but not in the thread. Oops.

double edit: why did you get your Houndmaster diseased instead of using the medicinal herbs on that carcass, again?

vdate fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 29, 2016

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Because I am also a fool, I bought Darkest Dungeon as well. So, where do you find those healing charms and Dismas' head?

Didn't 'Wang already show off the other way to get a head? (Healing charms are just random drops. Check the dungeon rewards!)

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I'm another in the 'use the joke mod on routine or gimmick runs' camp. Due to an excess of Jade Star's Enemy Within LP I want to suggest 'BOOSH!' for the crit popup but that's probably a little too injokey.

vdate fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 16, 2016

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
'in-ko-ate' or 'in-ko-it', not 'incadent'. Not that it's ever going to come up again. I AM, however, sad that you didn't bring an Abomination to the fight that's purpose built for them to Rake it to little shreds.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I'm genuinely surprised. That might be the first person who's blind-pronounced my name the right way. Thanks, Highwang!

On the subject of Finale, that spike-damage makes it worth the trouble for me, since once the Jester's in the back row I can spend a turn buffing/destressing as you do, then powerslide him back to the front row with Solo, ready to Finale again the next turn. It is a cool animation, though! Actually, come to think of it, where [does that spear come from?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

ZeroCount posted:

Finale's graphic is kinda weird in that I think it's the only attack animation that's metaphorical instead of purely literal. Probably metaphorical.

So you think the Jester is just mic-dropping so hard things die from it?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Some say he fights ghouls armed with nothing more than bad jokes, power ballads, and an agricultural implement. Some say he can stick a spear clean through himself without substantial harm. All we know is, he's called the Jester.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I spent so much of that fight yelling 'JUST HIT IT, WANG' at the screen. Seriously, trying to tread water in a fight that dangerous is a straight shot to losing heroes.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
The number of people sitting in your roster with diseases with an empty sanitarium is hilarious.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Ah, Highwang Inventory Management (or lack thereof) strikes again. Remember, kids, it's a comprehensive LP, not a competent one.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Iretep posted:

jester is one way to reduce stress but theres even a better way: not getting stressed at all through murder and stunning the entire enemy team.

This. A thousand times this. I've been shouting at the screen for Pea to just stab things already, and my namesake actually has finale and dirk stab equipped, so there's really no excuse there.

At least he's learned that Arbalests are mostly for shooting things and not for bandaging every single turn.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Nalesh posted:

Robo-Wang just sounds wrong.

?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Krumbsthumbs posted:

I don't know whether to be impressed you could pull that card up and make that connection at will, or discouraged for the same reason, Vinay.

In any case, I'm all for pushing up the tempo. You can sandbag for wayyyy too long in this game if you want.

And this makes the effort worthwhile!

(Fair admission, this was the first set I got back into Magic with, and that card was called 'robo-wang' basically as soon as it was released.)

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
This was beautiful, you gotta keep this up. With TWO co-commentators, they can probably consistently call you out on your silly decisions.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Yeah, it's time to start skipping the random who-cares runs. You can highlight the interesting stuff, though. (For example, the three consecutive shivkills on the Occultist!) This game was a little too long for its own good anyway.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Reactions, in order:

1) Yes! Go forth, my avatar! Engage in the world's least necessary critical hits! (Seriously, a 34 damage crit on a 3 HP ghoul. So good.)

2) I shouted 'GOOD' at the screen a second before Chitlin did when you said you were bringing Hew. (But seriously, bring an Abomination to the Flesh sometime, it rips that thing to shreds. Rend starts out at over 100% damage and caps at over 200% damage, by which time the Flesh should be drat near dead.)

3) Looks like the Ancestor ran into Something Offal!
...I'll see myself out now.

4) hahahahaha oh man the Flesh decided to bring its A-game for this one. I'm a little sad you didn't lose another Vestal, though.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Highwang posted:

Rake actually starts out doing 60% damage to two targets, and "revving it up" only goes up to three buffs due to how buff duration works in this game. Each use of Rake buffs it 15-25% each use, which winds up becoming 105-135% damage across the board. Now that's not bad at all, especially when you're doing roughly 128% damage at two targets, but I don't generally like the wind-up time. On the Flesh though it certainly has its uses, but RNG can stuff him if say two spines or two heads appear in that range.

I admit, I'm using 0-prot target math, but my thinking was:
Each stack of the Rake buff adds 15% damage, (thus +15/30/45% for one/two/three stacks. For the sake of my sanity I'm assuming just a rank 1 Rake here).
On the first use (thus no stacks), Rake does 60% damage to two targets. On the Flesh, that's 120% base damage total, since that 60% is dealt to each target independently.
Second use (one stack): 75% damage to two targets, 150% base damage to the Flesh.
Third use (two stacks): 90% base damage to two targets, 180% base damage to the Flesh.
Fourth use (three stacks) 105% base damage to two targets, 210% base damage to the Flesh.

Now, all this assumes that damage multipliers from bonuses and ability modifiers and whatnot stack additively and not multiplicatively, so if that's not the case then my math explodes. Doing the scratchpad math suggests that multiplicatively stacking modifiers mean 120%/138%/156%/174% damage total for 0/1/2/3 stacks. (That is, 0.6 times 1/1.15/1.3/1.45. I'm pretty sure the Rake buff stacks with itself additively because the tooltip says it does.)

However! There's an important addendum to this: the Abomination transforming grants an overall damage bonus in and of itself. At rank 1/2/3/4/5 of Transform it's a +10/14/18/21/21% damage increase on top of that. Assuming additive stacking and a rank 1 Transform (for the sake of my sanity) that's 140/170/200/230% damage total for 0/1/2/3 stacks; assuming multiplicative stacking it's 122/152/172/191%.

(all numerical information is from the DD wiki, so it's entirely possible I may be working from faulty numbers here.)

vdate fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 2, 2017

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Samovar posted:

One of the new baddies is called a squiffy ghast.

That's brilliant.

I'm afraid I don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Not all the way through the final video yet, but I just have to love the juxtaposition of the game expositing at you and Highwang accidentally making it into a joke.

The Gestating Heart becomes the Heart of Darkness, and the Ancestor speaks: "Behold, the heart of the world! Progenitor of life! Father and mother, alpha and omega, our creator...and our destroyer."

Pea's response? "TIME FOR A LUTE SOLO POWER SLIDE TO THE FRONT YEAAAAAAAAAH"

• Locked thread