Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Antiquarians can make inventory juggling very stressful though. My first run with one in my post town-events game was at the same time as free supplies. In a "Collect 3 Quest Items" quest. Where one was hiding in corridor, so I had no torches, starved a bit, and had two or three (failed) virtue checks by the end.

EDIT : After taking literally everything on the provisioning screen as it was free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Hah. The confusion in the video makes me want to point out, you mean supplies (I think the game term is Supply Item if you've got a camping skill ot get more?)

Supplies, Trinkets, Relics, Curios, Heirlooms, Artifacts(?), Antiques!

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I wonder if some people transform Abominations too much. I treat their beast mode like Houndmaster dog biscuits, mostly.

By which I mean forget about them until halfway through the fight which would you should have used them at the start of.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Pvt.Scott posted:

I forgot to check his skills before throwing mine into the dungeon in a desperate week three. The only thing he could do in human form was heal his stress and hp. :downs:

That is an issue of positioning. All Abominations know all their skills at least any time when I've played. The inability to work from Rank 1 is a big PITA though. And they have 0 abilities at Rank 4 IIRC.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah, it's very much that kind of game I find. Which is why I'm hoping this LP goes well, even if Highwang ends up having to give a highlights reel of the more boring grindy bits.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I had a funny cash-run. Four fresh faces off the stagecoach. Houndmaster,Abom,Abom,BountyHunter. Actually bought supplies which was possibly foolish, but wanted the quest reward if I could manage it.

Hit a secret room, without having a key left. Was very sad. Then got three Trapahezadrons or whatever from a wandering miniboss. Still going to toss the team probably. Stuck with only one antiquarian, who is lvl3 and no arbalests yet. ;_;

And also realising there's like, two bosses per difficulty level per area? Kind of wish there was a way of deleveling victi--- heroes.

And on the subject of mods, the nexusmods have some reskins that fit the art style suprisingly well. Though I kept expecting to find one to make all the classes female (or male).

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Also worth noting, if there's a boss, and you don't know what it does, you can always just throw a stagecoach load of newbs at it. Who cares if it's a tpk? And if you do find some good gold enroute, you can always bail and cash out.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
When playing yesterday some corpses auto-cleared. Maybe more like 4 rounds, which is longer than a lot of fights, but I was doing a Anti/BH/Cr/Cr team for no sane reason. Had several Death's Door checks on poor Reynauld due to starvation because the rate of food use is just weird and screwy (and because I backtracked to a secret room because greed). So much Prot in green Warrens, weep.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Sadly not as far as I know. Which is kind of a shame. Stack-size improvements could be an interesting town upgrade option.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Stunlocking the Collector enough that he never shows his collection is satisfying.

Apparently the PS4 and PSVita versions of DD are out soon (27th) . Though what I'd really like myself is probably a 3DS port. Just feels like a splitscreen game to me.

And as a third point, watching videos of Darkest Dungeon and pausing for other reasons showed me something weird. At least some monsters appear by growing from a tiny sprite in their position, allowing for weird frames where there are tiny six inch high undead thralls.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Makes me wonder if enough +Virtue might make burning books useful.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
An all antiquarian group could try to just stack their blight attack to ridiculous levels. Which is a little more damaging than Nervous stab? Maybe the second ruins boss could be taken that way, with some judicious Prot wrangling due to how the attacks work in that fight.

Also amused at Highwang setting the Hew skill, then just using Chop.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 26, 2016

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I always assumed they raided nearby places. Reminds me I need to read House on the Borderlands at somepoint.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
It is worth noting though, that Holy Water only lasts 4 rounds. (And I think entering the room/moving a square costs one?)

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I find it weird how much Highwang goats up his Abomination. Would have thought him more stun-happy and just spamming Manacles.

Also not taking money because of a tiny 2 stack of food. Haha.

EDIT : Also, attacking a foe who has gone, instead of one who hasn't yet and thus getting giant blobbed.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I found in my stagecoach a level 2 Jester with Finale,Solo,Harvest,and Inspiring Tune (darn you wang, I wrote ASMR first. And I had to google what it meant.) And Dirk Stab, because level 2 stagecoach guys get 5 skills?

Slapped a Crescendo Box on him and he did pretty well in an orange (lvl3) Cove run. I think the sword/spear fishmen might be one of the things that really benefits from the turn 1 erasing with Finale. So many ghouls though. Also reminded me that Mace Bash on Vestals is solid and Divine Comfort works in rank 2.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Night10194 posted:

This LP got me back into playing. :unsmith:

Me too. I finally broke my fear of Veteran missions.

Then I hit Champion and it wrecked my poo poo. ;_; (And then lost one of my heads while drinking.)

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I think I've had a character starve to death looking for the last curio to interact with. Can those missions turn up as Long? That would be horrifying.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Someday I should start a new game with the goal of killing the newbie Prophet with 4 Antiquarians. (Aliens who die if they put on a space suit?) and stacking their Guard Me prot buff for the stones.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
You also get a splat of post-mission stress, and the roulette of post-mission traits tilts against you, IIRC. But it can be worth it.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Bandaging can also help a PD or Antiquarian heal do more. Though I lucked out on the +100% healing Anti trinket (it's still small numbers). Also, two Bandage on the same turn will do some good spike healing, though IIRC you can't target slot 4 (or yourself? This and battle heal on Crusader I can't work out the targeting on.)

Some may disagree, but I'd say Mediums can be a little easier than Shorts healerless, depending on camping skills. Triage can do a lot a lot of healing, for instance.

Buy spare food for eating, maybe good for good scouting so you've a better idea how hosed you are regarding completing the mission.

Or just grab 4 goons from the stagecoach (your stagecoach is at least 4 people right?) and run them through a dungeon. No great loss if they die, next batch might have classes you like more.

This LP has made me like a bunch of skills I previously ignored more though, like Houndmaster stun, and Occultist Knife. And Antiquarians at all.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
On the subject of Vestal accessories, there's a +25% healing (-10% Max Hp) book for them that is much more appealling to me than the scroll because losing their stun power is a pain. I've not found the same kind of +stun for Vestals that Crusaders and Houndmasters can get either, sadly.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Something I found bodging together a team for Veteran Prophet when half my garrison is red level is that Guard Other will make someone leap in front of the "rocks are going to fall here" attack changing the highlighted row. I think the rocks themselves also check if the person they are hitting is Guarded, but I'm a little vaguer on that. Either way, the prot and dodge from Rank 4 Protect Me! go a long way.

Especially when I camped too early and ran out of the various damage buffs from camping one fight before the boss. Took ages to chip him down. Rasslefrassle. Enjoying that the LP made me play and stop being scared of various things, but 28 max roster feels small.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Oglaf is a sign of good taste. *nods sagely* I almost want one of the Houndmaster's lines to be "You have no concept of Justice."

LP made me finally clear all the Veteran bosses. But Champion dungeons still go south so quickly. Ended up with like, 3 afflictions at the end of a Short. ;_; Probably need to make parties with a plan, rather than "Eh, they are around." Doesn't help most of my roster is 5+ now, so I can't even just play in the kiddie pool that much.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I almost want Highwang to just cheat in 4 Bloodthirst Rings somehow. Though it's not without it's downsides. Makes the camping dinner choice look silly for a start.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Thanks for all your hard work so far trying to put out stuff regularly. I assume between playing, editing, and commentating you are at like, 3x to 4x video length in work?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
You can fix that as long as it's not mid-combat or mid camp though. (OTOH, planning to and forgeting to swap out for a boss leads to... this episode).

I have before managed to buy a camping skill I want, usually prevent ambush, and fail to equip it as your fourth camping skill doesn't auto-equip. Which isn't the end of the world, but doesn't help.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Hellions have a camping skill like that.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I don't know, heroes are free-ish. And a single bad fight doesn't always mean that much. Pulling through with half your team on death's door and near heart attacks can be thrilling and worth pushing for (though depending on the trinkets you load up on, running to save those can be good).

Party composition is probably the thing making me suck at red missions atm. A certain town event has hit my analysis paralysis pretty hard, so DD is kind of sidelined for a while, but I'd be interested in people's ideas on general party set-ups for dungeons that feel hard. While I also wallow in regret about getting lvl6 heroes but only cleaning up disease and some bad traits, rather than locking in good ones early.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I feel obliged to point out that Highwang both hoards food and wastes it by not feeding injured minions on the looting screen.

And didn't take gold at one point presumably from misreading 1050 as 1500.

Fun editing though. Someday I'll get back into DD... just as soon as I decide whether to be a man or a mouse to a town event.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 10, 2017

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I also unequip all and re-equip for each mission. Partially to make me actually think about the trinkets. Keeping stuff on inactive characters is weird. :P

I guess you could put dud trinkets on people you are sending to the tavern, in the hopes that held stuff has priority for being lost or gambled away.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Fat Samurai has Stress Eater. Perfect. Not sure if there's a tool tip for T for torch anywhere though? The torch shows you all the shift and ctrl clicking, but hotkeys don't get a lot of pop-ups.

Still support Highwang's de-equipping, though I don't do it in XCOM2. (Mostly because eh on weapon mods because I don't play Legendary, partially because of LW defaulting everyone to shotguns for some reason?)

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Init feels like D&D init at low levels. Where you might be anything from -2 to +9, but the dice is a d20.

The pointing and clicking in this game feels pretty natural which I think is why so many people would like a iPad port (and/or 3ds)

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
The two things that stick out to me as difference between Fun and Awkward are :-

The line between "You did X, I would have done Y!" sometimes with "Because Z!" and "That was bad and wrong. End of sentence."

Whether the LPer is close enough to the commentator to give poo poo back enough or otherwise indicate that they aren't actually the whipping boy.

Considering the length and at times repetitive nature of Darkest Dungeon, which can be super gripping to play through, I wonder if skipping some missions, or recording and trying to find highlights might work as a good project until Champion dungeons and such. Though the workload on recording, watching, and picking out stuff might be insane.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
EDIT:

It's all in the context of Radiant Mode, even the sub-points, pretty sure.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 8, 2017

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Weird bit of art design I only noticed this episode. The Swine boss holds his chopper (snrk) in his nigh-skeletal hosed-up arm, instead of the beefy muscley one. o.O

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Hmm. It's doubly weird as the quest goal is Kill The Horrid Shrieker. Which feels uncomfortably like the game lying.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Just to note, that description of Hands of Glory is not an invention of the game. But it is still bad rear end that they used it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Great LP, thanks for finishing it. Hope the LP curse didn't bite too hard.

• Locked thread