Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Bourassa really seems to have been inspired by, if not blatantly ripped off, Mike Mignola.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Halser posted:

Bringing the discussion back to H.P. Lovecraft:

The Warrens and the squalid Hamlet have pretty strong inspiration from "The Rats in the Walls".

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/rw.aspx

For people that aren't fond of reading, here's a very short synopsis:

Guy in early 1920 decides to rebuild his ancestral manor that was left empty after his ancestors all died in mysterious circumstances. This manor sits atop a moor, overlooking a valley.
He moves there, and he keeps listening to weird scratches on the walls during the night. During his sleep, he has nightmares about hordes of disgusting swinefolk.

His search for the source of the sounds ends up with him exploring the family crypt under the manor with a small group of expert antiquarians and historians. They find a switch that opens a mysterious stairs leading into pitch black darkness. When they finish going down the stairs, they light up a torch and discover a kind of ancient city hidden within the cliff wall.

In the city they find several cages, piles of skeletons of what appears to be imprisoned human and swine hybrids, rats chewing on whatever is left. The Ancestor line "How many rats will it take to chew through a ton of putrid flesh" is a direct reference to this.
Apparently, his ancestry performed eldritch rituals and cannibalism, using humans devolved into swine hybrids as sustenance and fuel for said rituals.

The main character goes nuts when he realizes what his ancestry was doing and runs into the darkness. He's found later, chewing on one of the members of the party.

Yeah, the story where his racism directed him against the Welsh.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

That party re-arrangment works if you imagine then muttering 'pardon me', 'excuse me', 'coming through'.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Is there no way you can upgrade your inventory?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

The guy at the start of the Thing was Norwegian!

Alternatively, you could say this creature was reminiscent of 'Society'.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

TomViolence posted:

Thanks to the thread I'm reading The Rats in the Walls and, dear god, every time that bloody cat comes up...

See also the dog in the Dambusters.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Will DLC be free if you've bought the game already, tho.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Highwang posted:

New update - Episode 21: Cannonball Run

Today we fight the 8-Pounder and realize just how lucky I can get with things. One thing of note: I did do research, and that cleansing quest I did last episode did contribute to the events at hand but it only increased the odds of it happening.

Also my apologies Kaboom Dragoon but I can't read.

Remedied.

Wow, couldn't they have the gun possessed by something? Or use something like roundshot, heat-shot, grapeshot?

That seems an incredibly easy boss.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ouch.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

:stare:

Decadent, you ARE good.

Also, thanks for bringing up Tequila. Reminded me to drink some while watching the episode.

Edit: Re Skippy/Leppy refusing to leave the brothel. Reminds me of the bad taste (also bad, as in unfunny) joke:

What did the Leper say to the prostitute?

Keep the tip.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 21, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

'...So we're not going to be one-shotting as effectively...' he says as the Bounty Hunter smashes an enemy's skull so hard that pieces of it travelling one direction across the universe meet other pieces of it travelling the opposite direction.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I guess you could say that the ayes really had it with that...

No, that's rubbish.

Uh, you really crossed the ts and dotted the...

No, that doesn't work either.

Beware the ides...

Hmm.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Don't Starve is good, but I'd want there to be a multiplayer version of the Caribbean game.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Just started playing the game.

Wow, it is hard.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Isn't Ennui pronounced 'On-wee'?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Took on the Swine King tonight. Thankfully managed to kill him, but do you know the Highwayman's riposte activates upon being marked? I do now.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Highwang, you are a filthy individual.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yikes. The inventory management in that episode caused even me pain.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Verklemptomaniac posted:

Arterial Punch sounds pretty nasty, but I'd be more worried about getting a clothesline right to the capillaries...

... y'know, a Capil-Lariat.

Boo!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

So, discovered a bug in the game. If you quit in mid-battle, you can be prevented from targeting certain enemies, and the only way to correct it is to flee the battle. Tres annoying.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Xarn posted:

My favourite dumb thing to do so far is to forget about equipping trinkets...

Oh God, tell me about that. It would really help if the provisions button called up the trinkets screen first.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well, talking about forgetting things before setting off, guess who managed to go after the second form of the Swine Prince and neglected to buy torches? Oh, and who actually tried to NOT do what Highwang did with the Arbelist, but added trinkets which made her as slow as the big guy, meaning that flare couldn't always be used on time?

Interestingly, and I don't know if it was a bug, the Prince doesn't always go after marked targets. It appears that sometimes he can obliterate bodies on others when some members are marked.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I guess you were accused of being bad at this game!

Oh snap!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

All my casualties have been antiquarians

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well, started a new game, and have almost immediately gotten Dismas prepared as an anti-fishman build, getting Eldritch hater and Eldritch slayer right off the bat. Also got a second highwayman (Bobby Garin) with a slightly lower speed so as to get the ol' double-barrelled strategy.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Lock those Eldritch skills in. Holy crap, getting a Highwayman with that kind of damage against Eldritch is huge.

He's also going to be great in the Weald. A bunch of the scarier monsters in that place are Eldritch.

Nae danger. Even I, as dumb as I am, recognised the potential in that synergy.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Btw, are mixed enemy types, e.g. the Swine, vulnerable to both increased damage to humans and beasts? Like, if a person gets 20% damage boost on humans and beasts, dies that equate to 40% on the Swine?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well, killed my first Shambler. I hate to quote Wellington, but was a damned close thing - thank God for invigorating vapours and the fact I picked up a crescendo box in the same dungeon.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Get the Leper hopped up on some sweet herbal swine juice and go cut everything in half with Hew.

I remember finding in the Ruins a set of armour and then an altar when I had holy water with a Leper. Good times. Coincidentally, was also the run where I beat the Shambler.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Reinbach posted:

The octopuncher was guarding the vestal when she got released. Did the buff clear, or was he in danger of punching himself?

That would be AMAZING if that was the case. An enemy straight up whacking themselves in the face.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

OK, so I was telling about how I managed to get Dismas with Eldritch slayer and Eldritch hater, yeah?

Coupled with his own head + an Eldritch slayer ring, I was getting 60+ points of damage using point-blank shot.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Btw, what is the max no. of locked traits one can put on a person? I thought it was 4, but I've only managed to get 3.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Didn't know the Vestal had a big brother.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

FisheyStix posted:

"Do you expect me to talk?"

"No, Mr. Highwang! I expect you to heal!"

Dialogue from the dread doctor Coldfinger.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

So that charge move the spearmen do is only possible in row 4?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Occultist and Arbalest are BFFs and no-one will convince me otherwise.

It kinda annoys me how bandages from the pack stop bleeding, but not bandages from the Arbalest.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

OK, the new cultists are incredibly unsettling.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

There should be a cheevo for getting that many portraits in a single run.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I am still confused by the speed rating in this game. I've had characters go second to enemies with lower speed ratings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Highwang, you jammy, jammy bastard.

• Locked thread