Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It feels like the offensive vestal was mostly useless and any other frontliner would've done better in that mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bruceski posted:

It's an example of emergent gameplay that isn't the typical "we just made a sandbox, the players will make the game." XCOM is similar; there's a storyline but while you may enjoy some plot elements, the things you remember are when everyone was in medbay and you had to send rookies to a terror mission and they lived, or bring a full squad of grenadiers and watching Vahlen whine for the entire mission as you created your own 4th of July.

You even start to remember individual characters who pick up personality by random events, like my jittery, crazed Grave Robber who always seemed to go Virtuous right when I needed her or the one Sniper I had in an X-COM campaign who seemed to always make her 50-50 shots and miss her 90s. Or the two old-school X-COM characters, Patricia Gallagher and Shigeru Morita, who actually survived an entire campaign of original X-COM from the original squad of 8 rookies, Pat even surviving getting shot in the face with a plasma pistol with no armor.

It is what makes these games so fun.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Just pair the Occultist with an Arbalest. She's like the nurse to his chirurgeon.

Added bonus: All their actual attacking abilities work great together, too.

Occultist and Arbalest are BFFs.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The PD is also just good because her character design is cool.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Antiquarian is also great because her character design rocks.

She just looks cool.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ThCawdor posted:

Wait, you had 4 food left - why didn't it give you the prompt?

Loon needs 2 foods when he's scared.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sloober posted:

I feel like he's still trumped by the leper who is a one shotting murder machine in every dungeon. Don't get me wrong, i still like the crusader, but i generally really prefer a Leper or MaA in terms of 'tanky' characters. Leper's the only guy that can reliably kill two of the little poo poo enemies in one go. (Ie. 2x spiders, maggots etc).

Offhand I can find uses for every character except the Jester. I still cannot stand that guy.

Get the Leper hopped up on some sweet herbal swine juice and go cut everything in half with Hew.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Genocyber posted:

Also you're especially bad about being wrong about Finale since a few people in this thread have specifically mentioned using it to target rank 3 dudes.

I remember it because people in this very thread were correcting me about my wrong opinion that the Jester was poo poo by pointing out, ages ago 'It's a 150% damage skill that can hit 3 rows it's loving great now unlike early access'.

That was months ago!

E: Also, The Bard in Bard's Tale is a great Bard in a videogame. :colbert:

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 13, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The point of Abyssal Artillery is that you take it in conjunction with STAB TIMES and Occultist's Best Pal Arbalest (or Plague Doc with Plague Grenade) and use it to weaken both back row enemies so that Arby can easily gun one down or so that Plague Grenade can do its work faster, and if you need position 3 to die right the gently caress now you use STAB TIMES.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pvt.Scott posted:

The best bard in a tabletop game was Brunhilda Stonerockhammergoldsilversmithshieldsonsdottir. She was a dwarven bard because her clan, Stonerockhammergoldsilversmithshield, had lost the blessings of the gods and could no longer produce clerics, so they used bards for healers.

She was on a grand quest to restore her people's divine mandate, so no son or daughter of clan Stonerockhammergoldsilversmithshield would have to bear the shame of barddom ever again.

She ended up being the party tank, heals and main dps because my friends were apparently trash at 3.5 char op and action economy.

I wish I had her portrait. I gave her braided chest hair and the loveliest beard.

She only counts if her grandfather was Snorri Snorrison.

In terrible Bard names I once played one named Ian Nept. Ironically he was actually quite talented, destined to be the greatest bard in his setting because he found the holy source of all inspiration: A never-ending flask of gin.

E: Really, everything needs more Bards. The ridiculousness of 'guy who can sing and caper merrily' being an adventuring archetype is matched only by the fact that they're actually really good mechanically in 3.5.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 15, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Occultist and Arbalest are BFFs and no-one will convince me otherwise.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Occultist can have many friends.

He is a cool guy.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Darkest Dungeon combat theme is goddamn awesome.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

RareAcumen posted:

You're going to sit there and tell me that William "B.J." Blazkowicz is in any way Evil? I spit on you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdjK4xOSUOk

He said people, not Nazis.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean there's a reason one of their major planned gameplay fixes is to rebalance the campaign to cut it down to 'only' 40 hours.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Death Dealer posted:

To be fair, if you really wanted to hear it in the Ancestor's voice, Wayne June has narrated 6 volumes of Lovecraft's work. It is every bit as amazing as you would expect.

If you're born with the ability to speak like that, you owe it to the world to read menacing tomes of squamous and squalid happenings.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mzbundifund posted:

Here's where you can buy an audiobook, and here's a free one-shot story you can listen to on youtube.

Man, even when he's not doing the exact Narrator voice Wayne June has an incredible voice for reading.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

RareAcumen posted:

What I've realised now is that I really want some Wayne June narrating benign conflict-free games in a sinister manner like here. I wanna hear that kinda ominous overview for something like Animal Crossing or whatever new Harvest Moon-ish game comes out after Stardew Valley.

The Ominous LP of Animal Crossing on the archive is amazing and I'd love to hear him narrate it, too.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Halser posted:

might be the reason why the books were gone in DR2.

Once you beat the crazy killer clown and got the portable chainsaw, you'd never need anything else(maybe a gun for a few boss fights).

At the same time, in DR2 there was basically never a reason to use uncombined equipment ever again.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It works fine in another difficult fantasy strategy game that just came out, Battle Brothers, because you don't actually lose gear to damage; you just need time for your men to spend supplies and repair their armor (which acts as extra HP) and weapons, rewarding you for avoiding heavy damage to your equipment even if your men aren't actually wounded and adding another set of resources to manage. Not to mention making engaging in multiple fights in a short period much more exhausting and dangerous.

But that's the thing: Equipment degradation only ever makes sense as a way to make a situation more dangerous and add resources to manage. And so it only really works out if resource management is one of the key parts of the game, like it often is in these strategy games.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I might be misremembering, but didn't the first stalker do it badly by not having any way to repair your weapons?

Yes. People are so used to playing Stalker 1 with mods that they forget you originally couldn't actually repair poo poo easily. Though when it was first released armor was also bugged to never actually degrade.

God, Stalker was such a mess. I have no idea how it drew me in so hard, but playing that game is one of my big top gaming experiences. Helped a lot that it was scary as hell.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The combat theme in the Darkest Dungeon is the best horror combat theme any game ever has had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You are doomed in the grand scale of geological time.

On the personal level you can still make gains and have a victory.

This is a good balance for a game.

• Locked thread