Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Add me as a Grave Robber, Vestal, or Hellion if there's still room in the roster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

citybeatnik posted:

WELP things have obviously been rebalanced since the last time I played. And I now know why walking about with no torch can be a terrible idea. Live and learn.

Definitely a vast improvement over earlier on in the early access version, where dark runs were pretty much objectively better than light runs.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Don't kinkshame Highwang. Whips are hella good.

Mzbundifund posted:

The definition of a rogue-like is the subject of a thousand screaming nerd fights, but dungeon layouts, quest generation, enemy composition, etc. are all randomized, except for a few missions. For example, the first mission you do in the ruins after the tutorial segment on the road is not randomized and is designed to show off features like traps and curios, and ease you into what a normal mission would be like. Likewise your first stagecoach always has a plague doctor and a vestal on it, because Vestal + Plague Doctor + Highwayman + Crusader is a fairly balanced workmanlike party that is sure to be capable of completing the first scripted ruins dungeon you have to go to.

My definition is that a game that looks or plays like Rogue is a roguelike, while a game that just uses elements from roguelike games is a roguelite.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Highwang posted:

The quick and dirty of it: When you hit 0 HP you are put on Death's Door. Any loss of HP is now a roll of the dice to determine if you live or die, starting at I believe 66%. If you're at 200% stress and on Death's Door, that stress becomes a guaranteed deathblow. This can be used as a means of "RNG Tanking" as well, which was a flaw I found with the initial game's release.

I should probably hash this into the flow of battle explanation.

Wasn't there an exploit early on in early access where you could give the Jester 100% deathblow resist and basically make them immortal? I vaguely remember that being a thing.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Highwang posted:

I'd also advise against not selling them, but you can only get 150g for them anyways so unless you're super desperate I doubt you will.

You have a double negative here which means you're recommending the opposite thing!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

You know for all my love of this game I have never gotten to the stage where my whole team is level 3 or over. That has happened today! Well most of it.

Highwang can you do a little talk about skill/gear level vs resolve level content for me? I went into a level 3 ruins with some level 1 skills and was seriously irked by the tiny plinks of damage they did.

I'm not a drugged-out dick, but I can offer some advice nonetheless. Generally speaking, upgrading skills does not increase their damage, unless it's boosting a DOT like bleed or blight. Just accuracy, proc chance, and the magnitude/hit chance of buffs/debuffs. To up your damage you need to upgrade their weapons at the blacksmith or equip damage boosting trinkets. It is the case that enemies' HP scale up a bit more than your damage, so you do need to rely more on your primary damage dealers or moves that synergize well together (e.g. stunning an enemy and then using the Bounty Hunter's Finish Him skill). Also pay more attention to enemies' stats; a lot of the upgraded versions of old enemies/new enemies have some PROT that you may want to reduce before going ham on them.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Iny posted:

Oh yes. It's the best.

(Sadly, you cannot have Dismas holding his own head twice as two accessories, because you can only find each head trinket once.)

Well that and you can't double up on trinkets.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Really? The negative results for just regularly interacting with most things are pretty minor. Better than a reduction to a crucial stat or something.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sjonkel posted:

I'm playing this also, but I'm a little afraid of trying to kill other bosses. Are many of them bullshit that will wipe you unless you have the perfect party, or can you usually still get through?

I encountered the necromancer without any blight or even a crusader, but I still killed him, but my whole party was very stressed out and one of them got over 100.

One of the things I love about the boss design in this game is that, later bosses being tougher palette swaps of the earlier ones, you only go into a boss fight completely unawares once. And the first tier of bosses is overall pretty generous, such that you can totally go into them blind with a non-optimal party setup and make it through, although that will likely cost you in some fashion (e.g. high stress, losing one or two members). If you go in with a party kitted to take them down, then barring extremely poor dice rolls, they fall incredibly easily. Later tiers are much trickier, but the general way the fights work remains the same, so you can use what you learned in your first encounter to shore up your chances.

To be extra safe when fighting against an unknown boss, bring the "standard" party of tough melee person, tough ranged person, healer, and then something to complement that (ideally another powerful source of damage; I like the Grave Robber in that case cause she's good up close and at range).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

double nine posted:

Are champion dungeons easier than the Darkest dungeons?

The eponymous Darkest Dungeon plays a fair bit differently than all of the regular ones, as I'm sure we'll see when this LP gets there in a few years. But yes, I would say Champion dungeons are easier.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Halser posted:

and of course he'll heal for 0 when he's at Death's Door.

Don't forget the bleed,

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

There were definitely people complaining purely about the corpses, though. That's why they added the option to turn corpses off (which is really strange considering how much of a core gameplay mechanic it is).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Halser posted:

How do you say that while mentioning two of the classes with the most devastating back row moves in the game? Holy Lance has a higher crit mod than Smite and does the same damage, so oddly enough the Crusader is better at killing the back rank than the front rank.

and Iron Swan is just a clone of Wicked Hack that hits the back row, so in a way the Hellion is just as effective in dealing with the front row as in the back one.

Ayup. A party kitted out to take out the backrow is not hard to make. Hellion, Occultist, Crusader (to an extent), ranged Highwayman, and of course Arbalest are all excellent at this. Hel + Occ + Arb + High is pretty much my go to party for the Weald.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah he did but lol if you think I remember where he got every single charm and trinket across these twelve videos.

If you had paid better attention you would have. Bad RareAcumen.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Money waifu is good to me.

e: Also lol, just had the easiest Collector fight ever. First encounter in a Long novice dungeon since I was stocked with provisions: first turn Bounty Hunters stuns with a 75% chance, second turn Vestal stuns with a 50% chance, Collector is dead by the third turn having had no chance to do anything. Sadly all I got was a trapezohedron but it's basically a free 2.5k gold given how well that fight went.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 12, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Highwang posted:

Edit: Oh! As if by some freaky coincidence, Red Hook has posted the back-story for the Graverobber!

That's really cool; are there those for other characters and if so where can I find them?

Also the only "Cujoh" I know of is one named Jolyne.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The two Weald bosses are easily my least favorite because you're basically locked into one strategy for each. With the Hag, you basically have to ignore the pot and focus fire on the Hag; it'd be nice if she only had a chance of putting someone in the Pot after the first time, so targeting the Pot would actually be worthwhile. As it is, the only reason to ever attack the pot is if it put someone you don't want in it, and ideally you should compose your party such that it doesn't matter who's in the pot.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Iron Chitlin posted:

That really only works reliably in the Novice fight. Leaving someone in the pot will spit them out at Death's Door and the Hag has a AOE attack called Meat Tenderizer which she is programmed to use whenever someone gets ejected. So unless you are willing to gamble on a Deathblow save, you really are better off rescuing your guys and gals before they hit that point.

Not in my experience. Versus all three tiers of hag I've focused solely on her and got out fine. As long as you bring a team capable of bringing the damage (Mark synergy is really good here) it's not much of a risk.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Broose posted:

So, how does targeting work for that fight? Does anything that can hit space 3 and 4 hit the hag? Same with the pot and any other large enemy? Or does the hag just count as the 2nd spot, with the pot being 1st?

Larger targets take up multiple ranks, yes. Unfortunately attacks that hit all of the ranks they're in do not do multiple hits.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Markovnikov posted:

Yeah every character has their own personal background that you can gather from their quips, as well as from the comics. I always say this, but I would have really liked for them to go with the (I think) original idea of each character being unique. Din't know how you would combine that with the whole "your dudes die in the dungeon" thing tho.

Also I wish there was more to distinguish one character from the other. Like skill trees. As it is, characters of one class are more or less the same except for the small bonuses and penalties from quirks.

I imagine someone's already done this, but now I really want to do a run where I only use the canon characters (i.e. one of each class named the canon name) and seeing how far I go.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Highwang posted:

Grievances are duly noted. Once the two-episode backlog is over, old data will return.

Nooooooooooooooooo

I love the text changes.

Don't listen to these goons, they have bad opinions like most goons. Listen to me, a goon with actually good opinions.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

It's real cool how Medium ramps up the difficulty from "hey this game is alright" to "go gently caress yourself, you've missed every diceroll and now Dismas is dead from the literal last monster in the dungeon.

gently caress this game.

Uh, Medium's still pretty easy dude. I wouldn't say it even gets remotely hard until Champion, and even then that quickly becomes pretty rote.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

She's also not guaranteed to target whoever has the lowered debuff resistance. I had a part with three people with >100% debuff res, and one with ~50%, and she never targeted the 50% one.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Imo the debuffs on the Jester don't matter so much because with Finale you're pretty much guaranteed to remove one enemy if it's not an especially tanky one, and once in the backrow the Jester is less likely to be targeted if you took out whatever the rank 3 rear end in a top hat was so he's free to buff and stress heal for the rest of the battle. And then of course for the tough fights you have your stack of medical herbs to remove the debuffs and Solo to bring him forward. Finale Jester isn't great for every situation, but he's ridiculously good in a bunch if only because immediately removing one enemy is ridiculously helpful.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I mean, if it's a significant content update then it'd be weird for it to be free.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tylana posted:

I find it weird how much Highwang goats up his Abomination. Would have thought him more stun-happy and just spamming Manacles.

Also not taking money because of a tiny 2 stack of food. Haha.

Highwang seems to be weirdly over-cautious except for when it comes to stress, if his comment on rarely using the town stress heals is any indication.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You don't get nothing for the minus 3 Inventory slot missions; each one causes a specific town event. There's one for the Warrens(?) in particular that gives you the free Quirk treatment which is worth its length in gold.

I don't mind the ones that start you off with three items all that much since if you get lucky you can bumrush for the closes quest curios to clear the items out of your inventory.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Also: Arbalest and Occultist are like bestest buddies. That Bandage buff helps his heal a lot and he can Mark for her, too.

This I have discovered due to being inspired to play again.

Even better, if she can't take down a rank 3/4 enemy in one go he can usually finish them off with the knife or tentacles.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jenner posted:

RIP.
I'm sorry I asked for the Shambler. I had heard he was hard and thought, Highwang is good, it will be cool to see it done good.

I was wrong, not about you being good. But the Shambler is terrible.

He basically played as poorly as I did when I first fought the Shambler (i.e. focusing on the Shambler and not taking care of his little buddies). Especially shameful since he had a pretty okay team for it; Leper if not forced to the back is great for taking out the adds with Hew (which Wang also did not have equipped...) and Houndmaster is great for bleeding everyone.

double nine posted:

so here's a trick to the Shambler: if you flee from the battle, you flee to the last room you visited. So what you do is you get to the shambler's altar, go past it to the next room, then double back. This way if the battle goes terribly, you can flee, camp and still continue the dungeon (although tbh I don't think there are many shambler fights that don't end with all members afflicted/heroic).

I always wait to fight the Shambler until I've already completed the quest. That way if things go poorly you can just flee and then complete the mission and not really be set back other than having to stress heal your party.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Krumbsthumbs posted:

If you can blitz the Shambler down before the adds get too powerful it isn't a terrible idea to take him out first, but usually you want to wreck those tentacles ASAP. A marking team can do it if their order isn't wrecked by the surprise.

I've never found that to work out well. Because as Highwang mentioned in the video, the real threat are the sycophants and not the Shambler itself. Any time I've blitzed down the Shambler I ended up with two buffed up as hell sycophants that take forever to wear down.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

double nine posted:

Question, do the shambler and its two rastafarian buddies change stats (hp, defenses, ...) between beginner/experienced/veteran dungeons or are they fixed. Meaning is it going to be easier, relatively speaking, to defeat a shambler with veteran units or does the game adjust the difficulty accordingly?

edit: beaten like Lucien in a dark damp cavethe dark void of space

More accurate.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Arcade Rabbit posted:

So I've looked at the rewards for killing Shambles and without spoiling anything, are they actually worth it? Cause they look kinda meh all things considered.

They're pretty good imo, but then the Shambler isn't that tough of a fight if a.) you don't do everything wrong under the sun like Highwang just did and b.) make sure to grind them all out on babby level dungeons. Which is why I think Highwang was dumb for ignoring the previous altars in said babby dungeons; that's far and away the best time to take him on.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Alavaria posted:

I take it the higher difficulty versions don't have their own special drops then, sounds like a missed opportunity.

Sadly no. One loot pool of rare unique trinkets for all Shambler encounters.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The cannon is such a poo poo boss fight. It's not even all that hard as long as you can reliably murder the pyro each turn. It just takes forever to grind the thing down since you can do nothing but raw damage to it. Easily my least favorite boss fight in the game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

They patched the cannon? I swear it was 200% debuff resistant before. So tyou could not mark or bleed or blight it. just had to ineffectually swing at it.

It's still 200% last I checked.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

double nine posted:

You're forgetting the healing power of the Crusader - not that it ever amounts to much, it's on par with the arbalest basically.

The Crusader's heal is piddly, only good for getting someone off of death's door. the Arbalest's is way better; as gone over above, it synergizes super well with your actual healers, and if you're willing to dedicate a few turns she can pretty much fully heal someone by herself, especially if you gave her +healing trinkets.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Along with the options stated above, the Crusader heal is useful if you have a single enemy left that is about to die from a DoT, stunned or you know will die to your other teammates before it gets a turn. You can get that little heal in and save a couple bites of food or something. On longer runs, that adds up.

To add, if you do this with the stress heal you get (less) healing AND stress heal which is actually really nice.

quote:

Of course, that would require using a Crusader. Outside of Ruins runs and fights with the Drowned Crew, I'd rather use a Leper or Hellion.

I've actually been warming up to Crusaders more lately, mainly because they're great for dealing with my #1 nemesis the Ghoul.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Getting rid of a key and then immediately scouting a secret room is something that's happened to me a few times. Needless to say I always make sure I have one key in all circumstances now. I don't know why you didn't go into the secret room anyway, since you can still open the chest and get a (lesser) reward. You probably wouldn't have run into another hunger event on the way there.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ZeroCount posted:

Back when Darkest Dungeon had just hit Early Access AOE's were great skills and an easy way to play the game. Red Hook responded to that in their characteristic manner and now they are of mostly limited use if they aren't DoT

The Occultist's is probably my favorite. It just combos so well with other, higher damage dealing backrow hitters; usually does just enough damage to let them finish the enemy off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

https://a.desu.sh/jnbztz.webm

In which Highwang reveals he is a Sith. The only question is, is Iron Chitlin his apprentice, or his master?

• Locked thread