Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I don't think there's anything wrong with Early Access specifically, it's just that a lot of people use it poorly or abuse it to make money off of products that are clearly not worth selling yet. And that's more an issue with Steam in general having no real standards. And on the flip side there are a good amount of games that have benefited form the constant stream of criticism, this game in particular being a shining example of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Samovar posted:

Isn't Ennui pronounced 'On-wee'?

It is. Don't expect Highwang to pronounce anything correctly.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Since it was mentioned in the video, emulating Eternal Darkness apparently works perfectly fine aside from a few small configuration options you'll need to tick for some things.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

From what I've seen, the controller scheme on the PS4 version seems to work pretty well; in some instances you can do certain things quicker such as looting, once you know what buttons to press at least. Impressive considering how the game was designed solely with keyboard and mouse in mind. It reminds me vaguely of playing the PSP port of Exult (Ultima VII emulator) which used pretty much every button combination to make up for the lack of a keyboard and mouse.

e: Also, regarding the Crimson Court DLC, I don't see why it couldn't be both. Mosquito creatures with the stylings of vampires.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 9, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jenner posted:

It just kind of seems like Stress is becoming a bigger issue than damage. To the point where Jesters are probably mandatory since no one else has the level of Stress reduction they have.

The Houndmaster's stress heal is way better at high levels since it scales way better. Healing the entire party for 7 is much better than healing a single person for 15, even if ti has a 1/3 chance to fail per person.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Aaaand that's why I tend to prioritize the Nomad Wagon for upgrades. Maxed out you'll often get 2+ orange trinkets for ~12k a pop, so combine that with the town event and they'd be only 6k a piece. Very affordable way of getting good trinkets if the RNG has not been kind to you.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You can't blame Bone Arbalest's for their stats when your own Arbalest is the same way.

Also you're especially bad about being wrong about Finale since a few people in this thread have specifically mentioned using it to target rank 3 dudes.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Wayne posted:

I've been catching up on this one, and Highwang, while normally I'm the last guy to backseat somebody else's game, your last Siren run was killing me. You had two guys with Riposte, a boss who does all AoE moves and one debuff, and then kept complaining about how long the fight was. :sweatdrop:

For as much as Highwang does dumb stuff, I wouldn't count that as such. Riposting works nicely on the Siren, but you do run the risk of riposting a turned team mate. So for someone as risk averse as Highwang it's understandable that he didn't use it that much (I think he even mentioned that in the video).

quote:

Yeah, he's pretty great and gets points for actually being a bard by trade. If you count "music magic" you have a lot of JRPG characters (Ar Tonelico, obviously, but Tear in Tales of the Abyss comes to mind too) and "tricksters with perform skills" adds people like Shantae. Hmm... the Bard job in FF5 was fun, wasn't that the one with the song that inflicted Stop on all enemies? Any time you run into bards breaking the game in a game, remember they were actually overpowered in 1st and 2nd AD&D, it wasn't until 3rd standardized everything that they become more "master of none."

There we go, I knew I knew of a good video game bard (well bard class if not a specific character) but I couldn't think of which one it was. Bards in FF5 are stupidly strong. The ability to Stop lots of enemies (including some of the superbosses), buff your party into the stratosphere, destroy undead, and eventually dragons with the legendary harp make them one of the best jobs in the game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I was the one that mentioned spending crests on the Nomad Wagon. I don't really think that's a waste of resources since what usually prevents me from upgrading other services is not the crests but whatever other heirloom type that that upgrade needs. And since the only other service that used only crests to upgrade is the survival tent I see no reason not to upgrade the Nomad Wagon.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You absolutely can alt+f4 to save scum character deaths. I've done that a few times for the Dismas/Reynauld trophy.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You only need to heal 1 HP to get someone off of Death's Door which is more likely than not to occur. Plus the Occultists can heal for an insane amount which can get you out of a pinch and can do so without any +healing trinkets. They don't have the group heal but they make up for it by being surprisingly good back rank attackers. Definitely prefer them over the Vestals but both have their place.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Halser posted:

while occultists don't need trinkets to get craptons of healing, it's still good to give them at least one, since the higher his top healing is, the lower the chance of getting dreaded 0-3 heal + bleed.

I've hard this sentiment before and I'm wondering if this is actually true. Like, are people just assuming this or have they actually dug into the game's code to find out? Cause I'd figure it would roll using the normal range then apply any healing modifiers, as opposed to the inverse.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Highwang posted:

Chitlin was actually talking to me about this recently. He's never been part of a long-running LP such as this, and he's beginning to feel the effects of burnout at this point. I might have to ask if he wants out or not for his sake.

Thanks for all the input btw. These were just guest episodes, but its a good marker for the future of things.

Maybe suggest for him to take a break until you get to some new stuff, i.e. that town event (you know the one) and the actual Darkest Dungeon stuff. I love yours and his banter and it would be a shame if he wasn't around for that stuff.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I watched Videodrome thanks to you guys talking about it. Definitely an overall mediocre movie but the practical effects are top notch. This scene at the end of the movie is almost up to the The Thing in terms of quality, imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa1IKLIGdaw

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I love how your ungodly luck has everyone passing over your one minute snack break.

Re: BotW chat. The thing you're missing Highwang is that most people's issues with durability in that game is that it's not something that's especially fun. Not having played the game I can't speak super informedly about it, but from what I have seen of the game I'd agree with that. In my mind, the point of durability should be to add another layer of meaningful interaction with the game at hand. Worry about your weapon breaking in a tense moment, or encouraging the player to keep a variety of weapons on hand and actually use them rather than just sticking to one thing, or something. But in BotW all it seems to add is busywork since, as you yourself said, the enemies drop plenty of weapons, meaning all that durability really does is discourage players from wasting resources on making actually good weapons since they'll just break sooner or later anyway. A quick fix to BotW would probably be to keep enemy weapons as fragile as they are currently, but make crafted weapons very durable such that they can be depended on for a long time.

I still think the best weapon degradation system in a video game is that in the two Shadow Tower games. They're dungeon crawlers with a strong emphasis on killing everything you come across, but weapons break incredibly quickly (average durability is ~10, and you lose one point after only a few swings). However, not only does the game throw quite a few weapons at you, but you can choose either to repair weapons with your health at certain spots, exchange them for health potions or money, or repair them with a somewhat rare specific item. So there ends up being a whole economy based off of the durability mechanic and how you choose to manage them, and it's pretty neat imo.

That said easily the best durability system in a video game is in Nioh. I specifically say durability rather than weapon degradation because in Nioh weapons become stronger (and thus more durable) the more that you use them. I'm actually kind of surprised that this is the first time I've seen a video game do that, because it still encourages you to use a variety of weapons, but explicitly rewards you for doing so since as you gain familiar you gain skill points, and the weapons themselves become more valuable to sell when you inevitable find an upgrade. It works way better then weapon degradation for anything that's not a hardcore survival game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Wang, your poor luck with the Shambler is purely your fault for not fighting the Shambler more. Once the anime idol is gone your chance of getting anything else raises to 100%.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

hirvox posted:

What could be worse than cosmic horrors? Humans usurping said cosmic horrors. It seems like the ancestor was a bit too quick in dismissing the experiments with the Flesh as failures, even though those provided the foundation for the cult, allowed him to corrupt shamblers and to even lay claim to all life on Earth.

Huh? The implication of the ending cutscene is that humanity (and probably all life on Earth) are all the spawn of the nameless horror, created to ultimately fatten it and allow it to use the Earth as a Lavos-style spawning vessel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Just watched your closing thoughts video. I feel like the fatigue you and Chitlin suffered is just endemic of LPs of longer games. It seems to be a common issue, at least.

I know at some point in the LP you mentioned you were planning on doing an LP of Hollow Knight at some point. Looking forward to that if it's still going on; I've been playing through it recently myself and holy poo poo it's one of the best metroidvania games I've ever played.

• Locked thread