Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I vaguely recall playing this game when it first came out and not giving a drat about the Stress mechanic and/or the negative attributes. I'm not entirely sure why on earth that was, aside from laziness. I do recall that I always spent too much money on supplies for stuff it turned out that I didn't need.

I also tended to be up to my armpits in Vestals, PDs, Jesters and Graverobbers. Hardly saw any other class.

Guess I'll give this a shot again now that someone is actually explaining the stuff - hell, I had no idea about the hidden rooms that were mentioned in the last video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

WELP things have obviously been rebalanced since the last time I played. And I now know why walking about with no torch can be a terrible idea. Live and learn.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Oh I certainly do believe that dark runs are a thing, but I also suspect that you shouldn't do them with a starting party. Something else cropped up as well but I'll wait for Highwang to deal with it before I go in to details.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

gatesealer posted:

I started playing again thanks to this LP. I think the game hates my more than normal. It refuses to give me more healers. I have only 1 and it's too high level to go on the low level missions.

Had a similar issue. Got around it by focusing on heroes that have either self heals or minor party heals and absurd amounts of food.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Put me down for a Antiquarian, in the most garish colors possible. Just City as a name'll if you don't feel like typing out the full user name.

Let's see if sticking my name on one of your favorite classes'll mean I survive longer.

Also, thanks for the tips and guides. I'm going to finally to finish this thing and the info's helping out immensely. Just knowing that I should, you know, focus on builds and what not is making a difference.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I call shenanigans re you mentioning the 1st head being a guaranteed drop in the first secret room you find, since I finally found one and all I got were the uber-valuable gem drops.

Still handy, mind.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Highwang posted:

Wow really?! Well poo poo, ever since secret rooms were added all I ever got was Dismas' head instantly then either the heal head or the prot head. This is actually the *longest* I've gone without the heal head.

I'll be sure to mention that in our next queued video, which is ep 10. :v:

To be fair, in any RNG based game the only kind of luck that I have is bad.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

IMJack posted:

IIRC in the Arkham Horror board game by Fantasy Flight (lol ameritrash) the Mi-Go were wimpy trash monsters that dropped useful stuff when you stomped them, so they were the monsters you wanted to pop out of portals.

dscruffy1 posted:

They're fairly weak loot piņatas, assuming you're not low on sanity and will check. You get a unique item when they die and they leave the game instead of going back to the monster pile.

They're a bit more threatening in other games like Mansions of Madness, where pretty much every monster can wreck your day.

The implication that my group always went with was that they're less loot piņatas and more fellow adventurers that you end up jumping in some back alley somewhere. They're actually sentient scientists that have a bad habit of assuming that just because they don't have a problem with putting their brains in mason jars that other creatures don't mind it either.

We haven't played Arkham Horror in forever since I think we accidentally stumbled in to a win condition.

Dunwich Horror's interesting because it's one of the few stories where humanity actually ends up winning without the help of cats; but then Lovecraft's author inserts tended towards the nebbish and well-educated. Contrast that with Conan the Barbarian, where Howard (a contemporary of Lovecraft who was part of his writing circle) figured that any eldritch being could be defeated provided you punch it hard enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

IMJack posted:

Blame Monopoly for being the board game that defines all American preconceptions of board games? It has a laundry list of everything that's wrong with Amerigames. Dice rolling for randomness; cards with rules text printed on them; a one-player-at-a-time action cycle that usually leaves players unengaged while it's not their turn; victory by elimination with no defined game length.

Figure out how to make Monopoly not poo poo by the standards of modern board game design, without messing up its core premise or inherent approachability (and potential for branding) and Hasbro will hand you their wallet.

Veering back on topic, what would a Darkest Dungeon board game look like. I'm seeing cooperative dungeon crawling where players have secret agendas in the form of negative quirks.

Which is ironic considering how much of the original point of Monopoly was to make it unpleasant to play.

• Locked thread