Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so I have a save file where I have all of the diary pages collected (it took a few sacrificial lambs into the ruins to grind for pages). I could post them if you want to forego the grind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Only the missing ones below:

The Journal of Darius The Highwayman

The Blackest of Fates

A Trampled Journal

Blood-soaked pages from a journal

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

^^^^^^^^

(there's treasures of heirlooms hidden in those artefacts :effort:)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Reinbach posted:

Did anyone else read this in the voice?

now I did. On the topic of Ancestral shenanigans - I posit that the jerkface was equal parts incompetent that born-into-wealthy decadence is so good at producing, and malevolently sadistic once the evil started fully influencing him, at which point he started to work to get his experiments blow up in (other) people's faces while keeping the thinnest possible knife edge of plausible deniability re:the warrens & hag.

I love the descent into insanity we go on with him as we kill bosses and discover their backstory. That and the voice clips in the Darkest Dungeon itself are gloriously hammy.

double nine fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 12, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

grandalt posted:

By the way, there's a new boss lurking around. Let's see if you can find it.

I'd hit that.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Highwang posted:

A pig didn't even kill him!

does that make you boarnery?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Scribbleykins posted:

I'm slightly mad your friends ended up talking over the boss narration. Hearing more of Wayne June's stellar VO-work is like the chief reward you get out of finishing all the boss fights. :argh:

yeah, that was annoying. Here's the quote for those interested:

quote:

The great thing I had managed to bring through was brutish and stupid. Moreover, it required prodigious amounts of meat to sustain itself. But this was only a trifling concern. Afterall, I had a village full of it.

https://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/d/d5/Narration_load_warrens_03.ogg

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Highwang posted:

With all these huge game releases coming out all at once, I haven't had time to actually make a new update. However I am providing the one video I promised a while back since the main Vulf video was a bit of a hot mess

Episode 50-B: Brigand Vulf Guide

This is why we have separate cutscene vids on Iron Chitlin's channel. I should get to updating the OP with that.

I fundamentally disagree that selfish is a mediocre affliction - it is the worst affliction after abusive. You are right that its combat problems aren't that bad. But Selfish effectively makes the hero behave as if they have kleptomania. Selfish heroes will activate curios on their own and keep the loot for themselves. It is the most dangerous trait in terms of loot.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Leylite posted:

The addition of all these new "uncommon" enemies that, either functionally or thematically emulate things your party members can do, makes me wonder how it would be possible to balance an "uncommon" enemy that had an attack that could activate Riposte. Having an enemy that could outright attack multiple times a round sounds pretty dangerous, even if it had relatively low attack power.

that would make bleed/blight/stun attacks even more useful than they already are and make the plague doctor a must-have for whatever area the monster's in.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I don't see what's wrong with Lash Lightning? He's always looked like that.

Anyway, given that stygian enemies do about 15% more damage - both stress and regular damage - and have a similar increase in HP.

yeah, you're going to have a number of deaths.

double nine fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 7, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Well, this is it.

Highwang, did you ever show off the insight into the town staff (innkeeper etc) after you start going into the dungeon?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Highwang, I don't care what strategy you employ, if the final party composition isn't a Crusader, Highwayman, Vestal and Plague Doctor, you have no flair for the dramatic.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

For whatever it's worth, I consider the line "a perfusion of errant flesh" to mean that humanity is either an unintended side-product of the eldrich horror's growth or we have strayed from our intended purpose. Furthermore, while the Darkest Dungeon universe appears cyclical, there seems to be some form of technological advancement, given the flintlock weaponry and the cannon.

In short the human species in the darkest dungeon universe tethers on the edge of destruction, but if we can keep the evil at bay for long enough ... eventually someone will build a nuke to destroy it, or we'll build a rocket and blast off of this rock. That's a massive if, but I do like the occasional optimistic ending in a lovecraft setting.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Hermetian posted:

The crawling chaos beyond time and space v. Elon Musk

I'm thinking more Protogen but whatever floats your boat

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Yeah, I don't think the player character is the ancestor. I think that the player character goes insane due to exposure to the Dungeon, sends a rambling letter to his descendants trying to warn them but mostly not make any sense because people have too many eyes!!Fnagh Cthulhu!!!, commit suicide, and the estate falls into neglect. Eventually one of our descendants will find the letter, get curious, and start digging for treasure again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

vdate posted:

Not all the way through the final video yet, but I just have to love the juxtaposition of the game expositing at you and Highwang accidentally making it into a joke.

The Gestating Heart becomes the Heart of Darkness, and the Ancestor speaks: "Behold, the heart of the world! Progenitor of life! Father and mother, alpha and omega, our creator...and our destroyer."

Pea's response? "TIME FOR A LUTE SOLO POWER SLIDE TO THE FRONT YEAAAAAAAAAH"

There's no way to keep the same atmosphere in a post-commentated LP, but when I got to that part the first time, that was very high on the "holy poo poo" moments.

Narration is just so goooooood.

• Locked thread