Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
I remember getting my butt kicked in this game and looking up some guides; they seemed to agree on the "use em and lose em" strategy for the early game. Hire everyone you can and just throw them through easy missions until their stress is too high, then just kick them out instead of bothering to heal them. Only bother to save people with good traits, and start training those up for the harder missions. Is that still an effective strategy for a new player to this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

oh those are fantastic. Now I just need to think of some good excuses to use them

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

I like the canon boss because it continues the theme of the Ancestor having terrible, terrible ideas. "Oh, the people are getting upset at me, what should I do? I know, I'll hire a bunch of mercenaries to shell them into submission."

Also, it's decorated with shields hanging from the sides, one of which looks extremely similar to the Man-At-Arm's hazard stripes shield. And the Man-At-Arm's comic features cannons that look remarkably similar to the Pounders, with the same slotted shield thing in the front. So there may be a connection between the Man-At-Arms and the brigands that the Ancestor hired.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Gluttony clarified in a single bite!

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Holy crap the darkest dungeon is metal looking. :stare:

A cool little detail I noticed: All the brawlers you fight through the rest of the dungeon care called Cultist Brawlers, and they attack with Rend for the Old Gods. But the guys in the Darkest Dungeon itself are called Ascended Brawlers, and their attack is called Rend for the New God.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Highwang, now you need to get in on co-commentating Jadestar's XCOM 2 LP so we can get maximum LP crossover going.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

I wanna hear the narrator do his best "Cthulhu fhtagn!"

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

What I've realised now is that I really want some Wayne June narrating benign conflict-free games in a sinister manner like here. I wanna hear that kinda ominous overview for something like Animal Crossing or whatever new Harvest Moon-ish game comes out after Stardew Valley.

Let's go all out and just make a lovecraftian farming simulator game where you're some hapless peasant trying to eke out a living on the hamlet.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Luigi is the ancestor, it was his mansion after all. :v:

E. Gadd is the caretaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

On the topic of "How can these humans fight off these eldritch monsters?", in defense of Team Human you're taking on the Darkest Dungeon with a team of max level heroes. At this point, in-universe, they're probably the finest warriors and dogs that humanity has to offer. Equipped in the best armor and weapons possible, and decked out in all manner of powerful and magical/eldritch trinkets.

And they're still almost dying at every turn. And even when they win, they're so traumatized they'll never go back there, ever.

• Locked thread