Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Nthing the Amontillado mansion name.

Sign me up as a Bounty Hunter, Man-At-Arms or Houndmaster.

Also Fusilier is pronounced 'Fuse ah leer.' :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Warrens are a series of burrows. So it's basically an underground slum area.

Hooray for Leppy Granola! It seems his double entendre scared the warrens into mediocrity!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

One is a man who worships eldritch demons and can still be shown the error of his ways.

The other is a demon shackled inside a prison of flesh and bone, who occasionally escapes that prison to wreak havoc.

That's quite the difference to a clergyman.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Halser posted:

You may argue that he just thinks he's possessed in his insanity, but he also does a few eldritch chants when he crits too. He's very clearly tormented by some demonic(to a holy person) entity.

Right, he say's he is one... But he doesn't actually demonstrate that beyond his eldritch arts and ramblings. While the Abomination actually turns into something not-human.
The difference is literally 'he is and has demonstrated that he is a demon.' It doesn't matter how sad he may be, he is the embodiment of everything the faith finds evil and they will not care if their evil is sad that he is evil.

You can always decided to be God and edit the ini file like Chitlin said if it really bothers you :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I too looked into this game because of this LP.

I got Dismas' head pretty early from a secret door.

5 secret doors later, I have not seen any other heads. (Naturally it was probably in the one I didn't have a key for at the time :negative:)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I ended up bypassing the Hags gimmick by going 'eff this' and blitzing her down while someone cooked in the pot. The pot also dumps people out once they hit Deaths Door, so that's nice.

Here's some text modding suggestions:

Change the Bleed debuff text to BLAHD! because there is a severe lack of vampires in all this spooky stuff.
Since you have such a problem remembering it, change the name of the Weald to the Not Warrens (or Spooky Forest for a non-W name.)
The Hunger! event title does not accurately summarize how annoying that mechanic is. It should instead be called 'The Munchies.'

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 12, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Yeah, don't trash the changes. Keep 'em around for varieties sake since after all, the ease and depth of moddability of Darkest Dungeon is also something to be shown off.

Bring 'em every once in awhile to living things up a bit. Thread/others suggestions for them included :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

My team for the Flesh was something like, a Hellion, a Jester, a Vestal and a Plague Doctor. The Jester ended up MVP with Harvest because the Flesh kept stunning the Doc (and I built up to something insane like, 12 bleed damage with it.) The Heart did come out to play but sometimes I needed my Hellion to self-heal to offset the Maws of Life attack.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Highwang posted:

Also also, 1k replies wut.

A thousand posts, a thousand ways to die against the blight of my failure.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

My first encounter with the Shambler was pulling 3 Antiquarians from the Town Event/Stagecoach and sending them with my leper on a merry moonlit adventure to get me tons of money.

I didn't lose my Leper. The antiquarians however...

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Sylphosaurus posted:

I just love how "Bulimic" is considered a perk in this game.
That's what I thought too.

Then it turned into Syphilis.

I have no idea how, but it did. I have kept my dudes as disease free as possible since.

Edit: actually I am dumb, I thought that someone with a disease had a greater chance of generating another one.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 25, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Had my first 40k money run with two Antiquarians, a Vestal and a Man at arms on an easy difficulty long mission in the Cove.

Rank 2 "Protect Me" + Retribution = :getin: on those fishmans. Was kind of weak on rank 4 damage though, although I did get plenty of use out of the Antiquarian's blight incense and the vestal's judgement to take care of that problem.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

AltaBrown posted:

I did, in fact, yell at my computer for Highwang to drop the loving food.

Seriously, Highwang, drop the food or eat it.

8 per bonfire and then enough food to handle 3 hunger events is generally my rule of thumb for long missions. It's exceptionally rare that I get more than 3 hunger events in ANY dungeon I've run and the only time I've actually suffered from them is when I tossed my food to make room for more stuff.

Usually as I was about to end the dungeon. Toss your food especially if you're about to end your dungeon.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Halser posted:

The cost of paranoia, measured now in food, later, in gold.

Packs of saltines and water, but nary of thought given to the plunder.

Or

Packs laden with food are often short on supplies.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Better yet: if you hate the hunger mechanic and someone develops or has stress eater, get rid of it ASAP so you never have to worry about it :v:

Highwang posted:

To wit: I wonder if Tapeworm and Stress Eater stack? I've never had that poo poo a luck.

I have had both on the same person, but everyone gets their diseases cleansed before they go and earn more in my house :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I tend to use Finish Him instead of Come Hither (hook) on my Bounty Hunters because, as noted, 100% damage on a melee character in rank 3 is great. Even if it's not buffed by stun.
I wouldn't say the team was bad, antiquarian's knives do somewhat decent damage. Leppy was kind of the odd one out for the Weald though, a Hellion would have been way better.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

double nine posted:

Lol, a possessed vestal will still increase torch light when she uses illumination, benefiting the player. (25mins in)

It makes a certain amount of sense, but given I've internalised that more torchlight == benefits player, I'd have assumed that the devs would have inverted it.
They use the same ability, so why would they change the effect just because that vestal's charmed? As noted, being charmed is already horribly unfair in terms of action economy.

Also the controls are really simple so there's no reason a controller wouldn't work. Direction buttons, a confirm, a decline. That's pretty much the basis of the entire control scheme.

I mean, one other thing Highwang does that no one has really commented on is that he clicks on every action before clicking on the enemy. Actions are sticky, they persist from round to round. Also you can use the number keys (1-5) to highlight abilities/movement and just click on the target.
To be fair this usually gives him time to think on doing things better Highwang-ier. :shobon:

Edit: Also this is about how my most recent run with the Siren went. And I did bring Holy Water. Just because it buffs debuff resistance doesn't mean that you won't get charmed :suicide:

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 10, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Jester's Harvest got me through the Flesh pretty much by itself.
AoE and a Dot Skill on a Jester. Combat Jester's are great :smuggo:

I have not killed my first Shambler ever since it ended my 3 Antiquarian 1 Leper Dark Run. By killing two Antiquarians.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Everyone is a marketer. For themselves at least. Making friends? You market yourself to them as a friend they might like.
You can't escape the context of selling yourself!

Also the only reason you had that one hunger proc is because you didn't open the chest in the first place. You brought it upon yourself! :colbert:

Edit: Update on the last page.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 30, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Meanwhile, I still would rather spend crests on the Survival Tent because holy cow camping skills are expensive.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Dangit Highwang, when you do gigantic walk-arounds like that you're trading fights (and loot) for hunger procs.

Which do you hate more!? Collector/Shamblers (and their loot) or starving!?

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 10, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Jade Star laying down the facts in the vid. Truly Guava has taught him well.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Sjonkel posted:

Also, I don't really buy the "Highwang is so lucky" thing. You can have a lucky run, but not 40+ weeks of it. It seems whatever he does works out just fine most of the time, so it can't be that bad?

In a risk management game like this you tend to make your own luck and there's no mitigating the risk involved with that luck. That's what I get with reading 'between the lines' of the LP: Highwang's cautious exploration style and knowledge of action economy/enemy moves keep his dudes safe, but they also have their own downsides. Namely his hatred of hunger procs: the more squares you travel through in a dungeon the more hunger procs you're going to get because that's how RNG's work. The more chances you throw at it the more it's going to come up with your number, good or bad.
Also leaning too hard on healbot vestals without devoting some training to their damage skills. Judgement is damage and a heal! Even a reduced chance stun can still land if you throw it out enough!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Awww yeah Earthbound Remix for the replay :dance:

Also the Inchoate Flesh is weak against DoT's. Especially multi-rank ones: Hound's Harry adds up to 4-12 bleed a round, Plague Doctor's Plague Grenade'll do 8-12 blight, Jester's Harvest will do 4-8. That's damage that mostly ignores it's whole 'hit the heart' gimmick (although the Heart also has the lowest resistances.)

That fits more into the theme of 'stuff you can do that ignores the bosses gimmick' like the others that were mentioned.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Hashtag hashtag hashtag HASHTAG hasHTag hAshtAg HAhStAG hash- :barf:

Too many tags, not enough hash browns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Regarding Lunge and Shadow Fade: Not everyone can be the Highwayman and bounce between ranks while killing everything :v:

Breath of the Wild's weapon durability is a bit fragile. Also enemy weapons don't seem to follow the same rules (understandably.) I agree with Genocyber that it mostly comes out to busywork. That's usually what gear durability amounts to: busywork and a money sink. Every single time. Trying to make anything more of it just doesn't work and is annoying.
Another game that I find does durability well is the SaGa Frontier series from 2 on (including Romancing SaGa.) Weapon's degrade with use that makes sense. The harder you use the weapon the faster it breaks! And if you're just carrying them because the spell system requires a focus, they don't break at all.

• Locked thread