Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I'd like to be a Bounty Hunter but will settle for Leper or Occultist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

YES! My dumb name made it in!

In all seriousness I've found the bounty hunter great for his pull and his stun. Sure he does great damage too, but I always find him messing with the enemy turns to be more useful.

P.S. Thank you for not letting me die.

TheGreatEvilKing fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 27, 2016

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The faith seems to be a weird hope spot in the setting, where you can gain powers to fight the corrupt and evil magic without setting your soul on fire. Sure, the Vestal has to stay virginal and the Leper has his disease, but the Crusader seems to be able to call on attack spells and healing just fine.

I do wonder what powers the fish guys/cultists/etc are channeling, as they have more dark themed powers than the occultist does. Sure, the occultist has his stun that puts out the torch (though I've never seen anyone use it) but his tentacle motif is a lot different from the other wizards in Darkest Dungeon.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

double nine posted:

nu-uh!

Anyway, what is everyone's opinion on bandages and antivenoms for the purposes of combat? On the one hand that's money thrown away on the other hand i'm getting into territory where bleed and blight is getting really punishing it feels like

There is a certain large enemy in the Cove that will wreck you with bleed damage.

Other than that I usually leave these at home with on novice and veteran but bring a bunch on Champion.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I find bounty hunter works very well in row 3 with two melee shitwreckers in the front row.

Granted, nothing was surviving Leppy Granola to the face so I'm not sure the two guys are needed.

You could do occultist/bounty hunter/crusader/leper as a meatgrinder team though. The occultist pull clears corpses in addition to pulling a target, turning a squad of enemies into Leper Murder Hour.

About the corpse update - that update as I remember wasn't just corpses, which were fine, but silly amounts of prot everywhere and insta-death heart attacks. It wasn't just a nerf to the front-row murderizer strategy, but a huge game-changer that no one was really prepared to deal with (and frustratingly slower combat too). The end result was that stress usually went critical because fights went on too drat long and teams got critted to death before they could make it anywhere (hence bad steam reviews). A lot of this got toned down before release which I think really improved the game.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Is using the kickstarter trinkets considered cheating? Can you just find them lying around?

And of course I get stuck reading all the books on the dark run.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Would the Crusader even know if his fam was dead?

Also need to try finale + herbs on a few bosses.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Markovnikov posted:

This is a problem in most rpgs. I like Pillars of Eternity's solution. You have an in battle health-pool (endurance), and a global health pool (just health). Any healing you receive in battle drains your global pool, and your endurance goes back to max after every battle, again by draining your global pool.

I'm sure other rpgs must use a similar mechanic, it's simple and elegant so I would be surprised if noone else has used it before. In DD it would add yet another bar tokeep track of, so maybe not the best solution in this case.

That mechanic generally works well until you arm your warriors with draining weapons or moon godlikes or something that can move a lot from the global pool to the endurance pool and people start straight-up dying in combat no matter how much healing you put in. This might work for the DD inevitable death grind experience, but it's frustrating in Pillars when equipping a vampiric weapon actively screws you over.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I played through early access and I still have a little pile of dead adventurers in the graveyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Highwang posted:

I can see from Cythereal's point of view. Sure we won, the beast is beaten, the town is safe, and mankind's safety is secured for *our* lifetime. Its a petty and personal victory that did nothing in the grand scheme of things, which is still a downer but also the best way to do Lovecraft writing because no one ever wins in those stories.

From just being a person playing videogames though, I feel like beating this game is a grand victory in itself. So much can go so wrong and I'm stunned that the LP went as swimmingly as it did.

First, good LP although I'm kinda sad I wasn't fed to the final boss.

I do want to point out that this is kinda-sorta how Lovecraft's stories go in that Nyarlathotep, Cthulhu, et al are never really destroyed...but the humans who try to raise them are. No, you don't destroy the haunter of the dark but you can kill the witch in the witch house. We don't even accomplish this because the ancestor is you and you pull of the exact same plot.

The other problem is that, once again, literally nothing happens if you just leave the town alone. You don't have to go into the dungeon. You don't need to fight the necromancer. I wouldn't be surprised if all these factions murder each other offscreen while you're dorking around, and the New God and Heart of Darkness are content for you to come to them instead of razing the planet or whatever. We still don't know what power the Crusader and Vestal draw on and there's a chance it might intervene to save its followers given that it hands out evil-smiting powers like candy. Sure, some schmucks are going to wander in, but you are seriously best off just paying the local bandits to collect monster bounties.

Anyway, don't take my rant personally, I really enjoyed the LP.

• Locked thread