Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable

A_Raving_Loon posted:

You are about to enter the halls of your ancestors. You are entering their Darkplace.
This is the best name suggestion so far. Voting for Darkplace Estate as well.

If you still need more heroes, make me a jester, leper or occultist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Highwang, what are you doing not healing your party when the last enemy was going to die from DoT damage? Seems like you forgot to remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer. :bahgawd:

Also, add another to the list of people who bought the game because of the LP. I got it during the halloween sale.
Strangely even during my first play, I found it hard to stomach doing more than 1 or 2 expeditions. That's the kind of thing I would expect after having played a game to death, not when playing for the first time.

The greatest thing about the game in my view is the stories it creates. It allows me to relive the fun parts of roleplaying without any of the bad parts.
e.g. Having to invest 4+ hours in hopes of having a good time without excessive rules lawyering or nerd drama.

After only 2 weeks, I already have several great memories.
- Used my first jester as a solo/finale jester because Highwang mostly uses them for support. It went great until I soloed the last enemy while the jester was on death's door. He got a fatal octocestus to the face in response. :smith: In retrospect, it was the most fitting finale for a jester!
- 20 weeks of nothing but bad things from books, then 3 journal entries over the course of 2 hallways and a 4th entry the following week. :psyduck:
- Getting 2 heads at once, not using them for weeks, first using them as I go after my first veteran boss, The Hag. Encountering a collector in the final corridor before The Hag, which was also the last battle of my camping buffs. :negative:
- Getting clobbered by the Sonourous Prophet twice in a row, struggling to assemble a new team for 9 weeks due to afflictions, disappearing and dying heroes and always only having 3 novice heroes left. Finally take him down with a leper, bounty hunter, occultist, arbalest party.
- A random hallway shambler near the end of a dungeon where I kept stress low. Everyone barely surviving a long hard struggle of 1 guy hitting the shambler, while the others deal with the sycophants or heal. Getting an ancestral trinket that boosts virtue chance by 25% for the troubles. :toot:

But back to the game! Can someone tell me Why AoE or DoT attacks, I forgot which one, are considered newbie traps? So far, I've been running around in novice and veteran dungeons blighting and bleeding to my hearts content and doing fine.
- DoT puts enemies on a timer. With the right trinkets and party mix you can easily take out big chunks of hp. Also, it creates space for healing or destressing people when the last few enemies are about to die to DoT.
- AoE is great for taking out weak enemies and hurting stronger ones. Or if you're like me and usually don't bring any "clear all corpses" skills, just removing a corpse and setting up a live enemy to die next turn.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
What surprises me the most is that nobody mentioned the most obvious variant.

A strict regimen is paramount if one is to master the brutal arithmetic of inventory management.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005

Broken Box posted:

Said pizza is then left piled in a cart full of plague infected corpses. Hope you like medicinal herbs as a pizza topping!
That's what always bothered me about the cart in the Warrens. The message literally says "You stumble on a cart of human remains". The appropriate response to this is apparently to sprinkle herbs on them, et voila! "Some of the meat becomes edible!" Why are human remains considered food?! :stonk:

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I love Pandemic and Risk Legacy, they've really solidified in my mind the potential of legacy based systems for board games. Considering you usually play board games with a small group of friends and slowly develop your own rules and styles for games it feels like an organic evolution to have such games become more common place. Plus its fun to look at a board covered in stickers and fondly think to how you got here.
I loved the Risk Legacy LP but since I mostly play board games with about 10-20 members of the local boardgaming group, the player composition is hardly ever the same. So, in my case legacy games or co-op campaigns usually go unplayed. Sure, some people are interested in playing these types of games, but they never actually take action to organize anything. At best, the first scenario gets played 2-3 times because there's always someone new in the group.

I can see why these game types are great if you play with the same 4-6 people every time though. Although my experience with co-op games has been mixed at best.
Imperial Assault was a great experience, but the traditional fantasy themed co-op board games were not. They look like the tabletop rpgs I know and love, but they pale in comparison.
As a game because they feel like a cheap knock-off to me. Also because the board gamers I have played with seem to have the mindset of winning at all costs. I can't quite name what it is exactly but moves take a long time, people seem to be more focused on figuring out the perfect move. Some even go as far as to make a move and then take it back when they see something better or notice that their chosen move has unpleasant consequences. Just go with your gut, make a move and roll with the results, drat it! :argh:

TL;DR
Ramblings of a grumpy goon.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005

Highwang posted:

Yeah, that was my downfall there. In retrospect, Dismas' head or the Crescendo Box would be a better damage accessory for the BH.
Highwang, your downfall was, in my opinion, not having played for a few weeks.

- You had ways of reaching the back row. They were limited, but you had them. Sjonkel had Dazzling light, she could have stunned a back row stress dealer! :argh:
- Great Evil King's uppercut had a 49% chance to move a Fungal Grabber back 2 spots after applying helmet's -25% To move skills. Even if it failed to move the enemy, it had a 99% stun chance. You'd be giving your front 2 access to back row characters or at least neutralize the enemy front row for a bit.
- Nervous Stab can reach row 3, why are you healing people for less damage than a single hit when you could help bring the stress dealers HP total down to the range of your front line's damage output? :psypop:

Those are all options you don't consider when it's been a while since you last played. :colbert:

:rip: Sjonkel - Ep. 2 - Ep. 34, my stage coach homie. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Upgrade and use my Jester's bleed skills, Highwang! :argh:
None of the heroes ever made it past 50 stress, why are you stress healing them when there are crabs and octopuses to be bled or wounded fishmen to be finished off? You even had the Bloody Dice trinket to boost the bleed chance. At least let him do something other than cheerleading.:negative:

:eng101:: You can right click on an item to interact with a treasure or curio, provided you have the "investigate/item/ignore" pop up open.

In closing: I can feel your pain with regards to spending the paintings you were saving for the guild upgrade. In my game, the free building town event triggered for the very first time during week 85. By this time, I had already given up on ever getting it for about 20 weeks or so. As a result, I'm now loaded with 27 paintings that can only be used to upgrade the tavern to 3 slots, but I usually either don't have the funds or the need to stress heal 3 people in the tavern. :gonk:

• Locked thread