Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'd agree with that.

Source: I'm a private banker.
A banker for money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

FactsAreUseless posted:

A banker for money

I'll do what you want me to do *shuffles money into a tax haven like Jersey and still gets a tax break.*

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fauna posted:

she's kind of like the old-timey mad queen of this place, but, if a queendom was allowed to banish its own queen for weeks at a time without her losing her claim to the throne

Didn't that happen in Spain?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'll do what you want me to do *shuffles money into a tax haven like Jersey and still gets a tax break.*

From what I understand Delaware is better. I'm not a tax guy though, so I stay out of that stuff and don't really understand the ins and outs. A small chunk of my clients personally claim negative income which I think is pretty funny.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'd agree with that.

Enjoy the guillotine, friend

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Solice Kirsk posted:

From what I understand Delaware is better. I'm not a tax guy though, so I stay out of that stuff and don't really understand the ins and outs. A small chunk of my clients personally claim negative income which I think is pretty funny.

All we gotta do is reduce their stature accordingly and all will be well in the world.

:thermidor:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nah, if offshore you want Jersey for Europe or the Caymans for Carib. Onshore would def. be Delaware.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'd agree with that.

Lmao

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It depends on what you're used to working with. A $15m networth is even on the low end for private bank invites. I don't think people understand just how much money is out there. In my industry people with $1m to ~$15m are just called "affluent."

Meeting someone in your neighborhood with $5m would probably make them seem rich, and they're incredibly well off obviously, but in high finance that wouldn't even get them on a call list. It's hard to define "rich" in any case. There's people that think anyone that makes six figures is rich. I'm not saying one is right or wrong, but in the actual financial industry saying "$15m is the start of being rich" isn't that far fetched.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

It's true. The minimum for private wealth management where I'm at is lol +--+-- a lot of money.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

It depends on what you're used to working with. A $15m networth is even on the low end for private bank invites. I don't think people understand just how much money is out there. In my industry people with $1m to ~$15m are just called "affluent."

Meeting someone in your neighborhood with $5m would probably make them seem rich, and they're incredibly well off obviously, but in high finance that wouldn't even get them on a call list. It's hard to define "rich" in any case. There's people that think anyone that makes six figures is rich. I'm not saying one is right or wrong, but in the actual financial industry saying "$15m is the start of being rich" isn't that far fetched.

Quantity is generally expressed in terms of its relative distance from zero, not infinity.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

my read on this is that in the financial industry rich means one thing, but in general practice it means another thing. this is a pretty normal thing to happen, with words. it's interesting and illuminating that $15M is a rough boundary for financial industry 'rich', but i don't think that has any relevance to the thresholds applied in general practice, which i would argue are all a lot lower than that.

personally i've heard the claim that ~$4M is the threshold for being able to live comfortably off dividends - your pile of money is generating enough new money that you don't have to go find other sources if you don't want to. i'm sure i'm wrong on the number, so financial commentators, where would you think to draw that line?

in my opinion it's the most meaningful threshold that gets at the question, but that's just my opinion. there's probably another threshold in the six figure range that's more meaningful to others, something like 'can afford an American medical emergency'

edit: i'm mixing my arguments in the above; the $4M in the second-to-last paragraph would be wealth while the six figures in the last paragraph would be income. that's enough rigor for this post i think

oystertoadfish has a new favorite as of 22:14 on Nov 11, 2019

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
financial wealth means nothing if you are not connected to the universal spirit

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Depending on lifestyle, I'd say most people could retire pretty comfortably at right around $3m.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

^^thanks!

fauna posted:

financial wealth means nothing if you are not connected to the universal spirit

how much does it cost to buy peyote

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

oystertoadfish posted:

personally i've heard the claim that ~$4M is the threshold for being able to live comfortably off dividends - your pile of money is generating enough new money that you don't have to go find other sources if you don't want to. i'm sure i'm wrong on the number, so financial commentators, where would you think to draw that line?

Depends on a number of factors, but to strip things down to basics:

1. To look at a comparable scenario, colleges set up their payouts from endowments to be 4.5% to 5.5% annually. Call it 5% because it will make the math in step 3 work out beautifully. They expect to maintain the inflation-adjusted value of the endowment forever while taking this 5% annually.

2. Figure out what you want your annual income to be in current dollars (remember, this will be invested to provide an inflation hedge as well as the 5% payout).

3. Multiply the number in step 2 by 20 to see what your base needs to be to result in that amount as the 5% annual payout.

So $4 million, invested reasonably, should generate a $200,000 annual inflation-adjusted income indefinitely.

As Solice Kirsk noted, $3 million would work for many people ($150,000 using these heuristics).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Can't wait to retire and make several times my current annual income

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

Depending on lifestyle, I'd say most people could retire pretty comfortably at right around $3m.

Most people don't make that much in their entire lives.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nope. But that's just a spitball figure not taking into account age, lifestyle, expenses, dependants, etc. If a 30 year old won the lottery and got $3m lump, they could potentially retire right then and there.

Most people don't retire until well into their 60's so the number will go way down. It's hard to guesstimate because retirement stuff is different for everyone and not everyone gets to retire. My advice would be contribute to a retirement account every year automatically, take advantage if your company offers retirement matching, and make sure those funds are invested into something and not just sitting in cash. Most companies have a target date fund option (TDF) if you wanna just throw it into something and ignore it. Otherwise index funds are a great option.

Putting 5% of your check into that will put you way ahead of most people in the retirement planning game.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

p sure all goons have severe depression.

I think most people who get their primary socializing through message boards have a predilection for mental illness.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Unless you plan on living forever (e.g. if you're a large institution instead of a individual sack of decaying meat), you don't actually need to maintain the value of your retirement fund - you can draw out more then it's getting in interest and still be fine.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

Otherwise index funds are a great option.

Index funds are the best option. Turns out investment advisers and stock pickers are mostly bullshit. Cats and chimps that don't even know what the stock market is and are trained to pick things at random do just as well as investment advisers. Since the overall trend of the world economy is "up" with some fluctuation the best investment plan is to just buy little pieces of literally everything. Yeah some of them will crash and burn and sometimes you'll see a downturn overall but in the long term it just wins. Assuming, of course, that America doesn't have some kind of financial collapse.

Though that you can deal with by just going international. Every now and again a currency totally tanks but most economic systems just keep chugging along.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Honestly, time in the market is going to be your biggest friend. Indexes have been cleaning up pretty handily for a couple decades now on the retail side of things. I'd caution thinking of them as the be-all-end-all, but for just dumping money into something and leaving it alone for a long time you can do a lot worse.

There are managed funds out there that absolutely smash their respected indexes year after year, but all the good ones I've seen are proprietary and with pretty high minimum investment requirements, so it's not something you can just go and buy through a self directed account or even call a broker and have them make a trade. But if you're just trying to, say, keep up with the S&P 500 you'll be hard pressed to find anything even in the proprietary stuff that will outperform VOO or SPY.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
If You Can: How Millenials Can Retire as Millionaires covers the basics of funds, fund diversification, and periodic reallocation and is fairly short. Although anyone coming into investing with little to no knowledge can just go ahead and skip the part about annuities.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I love how a statement showing how out of touch a poster was turned into "No but really, and other excuses for the guillotine".

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It doesn't matter how diverse your portfolio is once the cannibal biker gangs come to steal your water, or "the holy life liquid" as it will come to be known.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I call dibs on being the guy that pulls the guillotine lever.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

oystertoadfish posted:

how much does it cost to buy peyote
it costs me nothing, my friend grows it on his peacock farm in the red desert, but unfortunately it has no effect on me

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

neither does salvia, through some weird trick of biochemistry, the same sort of thing that makes people allergic to avocadoes usually also allergic to bananas

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Who What Now posted:

It doesn't matter how diverse your portfolio is once the cannibal biker gangs come to steal your water, or "the holy life liquid" as it will come to be known.

Saving up my caps now, investing in stimpaks, ammo, and power armour.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

fauna posted:

it costs me nothing, my friend grows it on his peacock farm in the red desert, but unfortunately it has no effect on me

sorry to hear about your third eye problems

also an apocalypse that 99% of people don't immediately die in probably goes like in that british movie Threads about the aftermath of a nuclear war, where the government went underground and came back out with steam-driven tanks and poo poo to keep running things. there have been and probably still are bunkers full of gold and food ready to be staffed with VIPs until the fallout settles down, or whatever the plan is exactly. even canada had one, apparently known as the Diefenbunker. so i doubt even an apocalypse would change the way money works and the general outlines of who has it

although this is the luxury the prime minister would've been looking forward to. somebody should make a movie set in the VIP's bunker

oystertoadfish has a new favorite as of 13:20 on Nov 12, 2019

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

oystertoadfish posted:

also an apocalypse that 99% of people don't immediately die in probably goes like in that british movie Threads about the aftermath of a nuclear war, where the government went underground and came back out with steam-driven tanks and poo poo to keep running things. there have been and probably still are bunkers full of gold and food ready to be staffed with VIPs until the fallout settles down, or whatever the plan is exactly. even canada had one, apparently known as the Diefenbunker. so i doubt even an apocalypse would change the way money works and the general outlines of who has it

although this is the luxury the prime minister would've been looking forward to. somebody should make a movie set in the VIP's bunker

Oats Studios' Zygote shot in one of the Diefenbunkers. They're neat.

John Diefenbaker, the Canadian prime minister it was built for, famously refused to ever set foot in the place in the event of nuclear attack because it was for government officials only. He wasn't going if his wife couldn't join him.

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Smh
Imo
If you do not live in the heart of a major city
100, 000
$plus a year income is rich

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Spins posted:

Smh
Imo
If you do not live in the heart of a major city
100, 000
$plus a year income is rich

Is this a poem?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

oystertoadfish posted:

I’m planning on doing the tour of the bunker in the Greenbriar Hotel in WV that was built for the US congress over the winter, stuff like that fascinates me. That article you shared was exactly my kind of thing.

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zakharov posted:

Is this a poem?

I text in haikus

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This came up in the Internet Personality thread at RGD, start here and read forward a few pages to see some epic dunking on oneself.

Spark That Bled posted:

Okay, what the gently caress?

This is how Spark characterized that meltdown, fyi:

A big flaming stink posted:

wait is spark the one that lost their goddamned mind in the anthem thread?

Spark That Bled posted:

...you mean the one where people made jokes about me being a terrorist after I said I was half-Arab?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This came up in the Internet Personality thread at RGD, start here and read forward a few pages to see some epic dunking on oneself.

:laffo:

That is some quality self ownage :discourse:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I didn’t bother clicking through when someone posted it in RGE because I assumed it would just be another dumb argument.

Holy poo poo. This might be the dumbest person on the forums. And that’s coming from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

oh my god