Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.
People talk about SA being great 10 years ago, but it's hard to convey what it was like to be here for the transition from PlanetQuake up until about 2001.

I mean, there literally wasn't anything like SA on the internet, because the front page characters that Lowtax created were still fresh and vital, and the forums were full of people building fan content around them in all grades of quality. It's painful to look at jeffk poo poo in 2016, but holy poo poo, if you weren't around for Game Developer Survivor Island, you missed the original SA experience. Doesn't look like poo poo today, but back then, we were all in suspense about those cheesy mspaint storylines, and for serious, you had a lot of the actual game developers showing up, creating accounts, and posting here. It was a smaller internet back then.

SA was a total loving sausagefest until we literally invaded SAAN, a girls' forum, and that was like some loving low-budget Rape of the Sabine women. All of a sudden, there were GIRLS on SA. And there was Artfag and Some Girl, and all these other girls that SA goons were slavishly slobbering over.

I mean, these were the early days of internet randos meeting in real life, so the loving Goon Camps and Gooncons were this huge deal, spawning all sorts of stories that nobody remembers any more.

The Yorba Linda Water District thing is long since passed from memory, but I will never remember losing my poo poo when some guy went to this local loving council, after ridiculously gigantic pictures of the members were all the rage on FYAG, and getting serious-looking pictures taken with the council-members, getting the motherfuckers to hold a sign that said "Please Return to GBS".

And of course, those early years were all about Lowtax's sagas. With loving eFront and switching hosting, the original, non-vBulletin forums, the whole Integral romance which the whole forums kind of got swept up in, in good faith, along with Lowtax, and how it intersected with the gross-rear end Pele bullshit.

Those were the old days of elpintogrande and Fistgrrl, and JRR making angry robot music.

All I can say is that as a person who literally came over to SA the day that Lowtax's content moved off of PlanetQuake, that the pre-Youtube, pre-social media days of this forum were like nothing you can imagine. It was wild west poo poo. We were indisputably the home of all that was funny on the internet, and every day, I'd be on here, seeing crazy, unexpected, sometimes terrible, but sometimes shockingly hilarious poo poo.

It's sad to be here now that the rest of the internet took all the stuff started here and took it so much further that SA looks like a loving ghost town. But, I've finally toxxed my old account here, so when Donald Trump eats poo poo and dies in November, maybe I can close this pathetic phase in my life. No matter how loving funny it was, or how many times I came back every drat day to see the next installment of the story, one thing remains true: I am a horrible monster, and I pray for death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.
ahahahahahahaha kuuenbu

that poo poo was NEW once, like we can sit now and marvel at how hosed up that motherfucker was, but holy poo poo when it first happened i was ROLLING around laughing. It's purestrain gold, jerry