Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Dead Rising began in 2006 as a launch-window title for the Xbox 360, produced and created by Keiji Inafune, a.k.a. the Mega Man guy. It was initially pitched as a sort of zombie sandbox, where you were trapped for three days (about six hours in real time) in a zombie-infested American mega-mall and could use anything and everything as a weapon against them while putting on whatever clothes and hats you could find. Want to bludgeon six thousand zombies to death with a squeaky toy hammer while wearing a banana hammock? Go for it, you mad bastard.

In practice, the DR games are less sandboxes and more tense races against the clock. Events are scheduled to occur at set times throughout the game's duration, and missing the window for them will lock them off permanently; survivors die, the story ends, and you're stuck with one of the worse possible endings. If you do lose out on a story-critical mission, you can immediately restart the story with all of your upgrades intact, which lets you get through the early game faster. It's an addictive and difficult challenge, which also lets you kill thousands of zombies in whatever the hell way you like. Most importantly, it also lets you show up to deadly-serious story cutscenes wearing a child's superhero costume and a Servbot mask.

To celebrate the original game's 10-year anniversary, Capcom is releasing Dead Rising 4 at the end of 2016, and is porting the original Dead Rising to current-gen systems, marking the first time the game has been ported at all since its release.

Games

Dead Rising (2006, Xbox 360; 2016, PS4/XB1/PC)
Frank West, freelance photojournalist and meme fountain, investigates a mysterious media blackout in small-town Colorado. He discovers that the population has been virtually wiped out by an outbreak of a parasite that turns its hosts into zombies, and the handful of survivors have holed up inside the town's one claim to fame: its new, enormous megamall. Frank ends up trapped inside with them until the chopper pilot he hired comes back three days later, and in the meantime, saves who he can while trying to figure out what's going on.

If you're mostly familiar with the series from its later entries, DR will be a rude shock for you. It's incredibly difficult, the survivors' AI is notoriously bad, there are no combo weapons to speak of, and most critically, it plays its events almost entirely straight. What humor there is to find comes entirely from you, as you make Frank show up to somebody's emotional death scene in Daisy Dukes and a Mohawk haircut, or defeat one of the toughest bosses in the game by hiding behind a support column and hitting him at range with several dozen golf balls.

Frank's appearance in this game led to him showing up in a lot of Capcom crossovers over the course of the next decade, such as Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, and the first Project X Zone.

Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop (2009, Wii)
An in-name-only "remake" of the original game, made with the same engine that powered Resident Evil 4. Nobody likes to talk about it much.

Dead Rising 2 (2010, PS3/Xbox 360/PC)
Five years after the events of the original game, you play as motocross racer and single dad Chuck Greene, who comes to Fortune City (a hastily built "adult playground" in Nevada, after an offscreen outbreak in Las Vegas that more or less trashed the city) to participate in a reality show and ends up trapped inside for three days by a zombie attack. Chuck's goal is primarily to find more medicine for his infected six-year-old daughter Katey, but he's also framed for causing the outbreak in the first place and must look for ways to prove his innocence.

DR2 is still probably the most widely known game in the series due to its cross-platform launch. It's a bit easier than the original, owing largely to the new mechanic of "combo weapons." Chuck can use his mechanical skills to turn two mundane items into one implement of destruction, some of which will actively trivialize the game for you. The survivors are also much smarter than they were in the original, although that isn't saying much, and bringing a mob of them with guns with you to a boss fight is both a valid tactic and a way to break several encounters.

Most crucially, DR2 marks the point when development on the series moved out of Japan to what's now Capcom Vancouver (formerly Blue Castle Games). It immediately gets a bit wackier. Many survivors are eccentric or outright stupid, and several psychopaths are more 2000s-kid "random" than frightening. At its worst, Chuck is stuck in the role of long-suffering straight man in a world that's gone mad around him.

The story-relevant DLC for DR2 is Case Zero, a short prequel set in a small town in Nevada shortly after Katey was originally infected, where Chuck must search for a way to escape before the military moves in and quarantines Katey; and Case West, set immediately after the main game's Ending A, where Frank West shows up and recruits Chuck in an attempt to discover the truth behind what Chuck learned at the end of DR2. Neither will be included in DR2's HD rerelease.

Dead Rising 2: Off the Record (2011, PS3/Xbox 360; 2016, PS4/XB1/PC)
A planned DLC expansion that, according to the developers, got out of hand, the aggressively non-canon Off the Record reimagines the events of DR2 as they'd have occurred if Frank had been the protagonist. It reshuffles many of the game's events, adds a couple of new ones (new survivors, two new psychopath encounters), includes a couple of new combo weapons and most of the new ones from the Case West DLC (the Sterilizer and Impact Hammer are not joining us), and adds a new amusement-park zone to the Fortune City map. Most crucially, it has a very different ending, and not just because Frank's there.

Inexplicably, this is still the only game in the franchise with a proper "sandbox mode," which is available from the start. It's a lousy way to level but a great place to grind cash and search Fortune City for things like combo cards.

Dead Rising 3 (2013, XB1; 2015, Steam)
Fifteen years after DR2, during an outbreak in the Californian city of "Los Perdidos" (Los Angeles with the serial numbers filed off), a mechanic named Nick Ramos searches for an escape route.

DR3 was a launch title for the Xbox One and has a lot of relatively controversial new features. Los Perdidos is a darker environment with a more sprawling map that's simultaneously harder to navigate; you can bring certain combat-capable survivors with you as AI-controlled buddies, although you can't start psychopath fights with them in tow; Nick's upgrade system includes regenerating health and the ability to build combo weapons with any items from a relevant category, which largely removes the need for scrounging; and equipment lockers in a bunch of safe rooms throughout the city will resupply you for free. It's also incredibly easy compared to the previous two games, although "Nightmare Mode" makes it much more like the originals.

DLC for DR3 includes the "Untold Stories of Los Perdidos," four bonus missions told from the point of view of characters who play an incidental role in the main story. Two of them are boss fights, a third is a character who you find dead at one point halfway through, and the fourth is a character you'd only have encountered if you were one of three people who played the smart glass-exclusive missions in DR3. Each Untold Story also unlocks a couple of new weapons for use in the main game, and most crucially, none of them have any sort of timer. If you simply want to dick around, you can fire up any given Untold Story and play for as long as you like, making the DLC missions a sort of unofficial sandbox mode. The DLC comes free with the Steam version of DR3.

Xbox One owners can also purchase Super Ultra Dead Rising 3' Arcade Remix Hyper Edition EX + α, which recycles parts of DR3's map in order to turn the game into a four-player arcade-style beat-'em-up. Inexplicably this is not available on Steam.

If you'd like to read a questionably canonical prequel comic, here you go.

Dead Rising 4 (2016, XB1/PC; 2017?, PS4)
A timed exclusive for the Xbox One and Windows 10, DR4 is set a year after DR3. Frank has retired to become a professor, but is dragged back into the field by his student Vick, where they discover a facility near Williamette that's conducting experiments on zombies. When Frank escapes, he's framed and forced into a life as a fugitive, but is dragged back to Williamette when he discovers A) there's been a new outbreak there and B) Vick is investigating it.

DR4 is notable for abandoning the series's traditional reliance on time limits, and will be a more traditional sandbox experience. Frank will be able to assemble both combo weapons and vehicles, just as Nick could, and can also steal a powered exoskeleton to turn himself into a low-rent superhero.

Spin-Offs

Dead Rising: Road to Fortune
A four-issue comic book from IDW Publishing, Road to Fortune is set between the first two games. It mostly serves to fill in details from both games' plot, such as the incident where Chuck's wife died, and how Frank's life fell apart after his short-lived tenure as a national celebrity.

Dead Rising: Watchtower (2015)
A full-length feature film on Crackle, Watchtower is set between DR2 and DR3. An outbreak in Oregon suddenly goes hot again after a number of survivors' Zombrex chips malfunction, and a local reporter named Chase Carter is caught on the ground in the infection zone. The real reason to watch this is Rob Riggle ("The Daily Show") as Frank West, who spends the entire movie as a celebrity guest on Chase's news show, being an incredible rear end in a top hat. It's really pretty amazing to watch.

Dead Rising: Endgame (2016)
A sequel to the previous movie, Endgame is also on Crackle. Three years on, Chase is still trying to figure out the conspiracy from the original film. It's hard to discuss without spoilers, but it's a high-end TV movie at heart, complete with Billy Zane playing a psychotic doctor and a couple of genuinely decent fight scenes.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

EorayMel posted:

How feasible is an unarmed only run?

Depends on what you're trying to accomplish and which game you're in. Off the top of my head, it'd be the most feasible in Off the Record.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-dead-rising-4-video-features-a-slurpee-tornado/1100-6442186/

I'd be a bit more interested in a game that wasn't quite so much about bizarre combo weapons, but I have to say: turning a slushie machine into some kind of freak freon tornado is pretty slick.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I think Frank is so well liked because he's relatable in a weird way. He's an rear end in a top hat and kind of unlikeable but considering the situations he gets thrust in, that makes him oddly endearing as a protagonist.

One of the things I don't think people give the original game enough credit for is, as I mentioned in the OP, how it's played almost completely straight. There's no real irony to it, and Frank makes a good viewpoint character; he's uninvolved and self-interested, but when his back is to the wall he at least tries to do the right thing.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Chuck was cool in a Clint Eastwood style way but he felt like a Hollywood version of a hero as a result.

I'm replaying DR2 right now and I actually like Chuck quite a lot. He's not just stoic in a traditional Video Game Protagonist way, but rather, he lets his personality shine through when he's around Katey. The rest of the time, what he's doing and who he's talking to doesn't matter as much.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Fun canonical detail from the Road to Fortune comic: Frank won a Pulitzer for The Williamette Incident, the book he wrote about the events of the first game. Then he had a talk show for a year or two before it got unceremoniously canned.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

In Road to Fortune #1, they go into how he got out after the true ending of the first game: he found a loaded rifle with a grenade launcher attachment in Brock's tank and shot his way out with Isabella.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I remember playing my Game Boy while Frank stood on that hidden ledge in Paradise Plaza where the SMG was hidden, waiting until the last second to eat another Well Done Steak.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I'm really tempted to get a cheap used copy of DR3 for the Xbone so I can pick up Super Ultra Dead Rising 3' Arcade Remix Hyper Edition EX + α. I already own the base game on Steam, though.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

So while I'm looking forward to Dead Rising 4, I am kind of questioning why it needs to exist or at least exist in the same continuity of the previous games, 3 wrapped up all the loose plot ends from the first two games.

It's not like the first three games were part of a tightly-constructed, deliberate trilogy. It "needs to exist" because the developers enjoy making it and people enjoy playing it, simple as that.

I do think that DR4 is leaning a bit too heavily on Frank's real or perceived star power, though. Frank's not a bad character by any means, particularly in the current market where he's unique for not being a thirty-something ball of anger issues, but I don't think he's quite as crucial to the game's success as Capcom seems to think he is.

Fun side note: every post on the Facebook wall about DR4 has a series of increasingly angry responses about how T.J. Rotolo is not voicing Frank this time around.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

Frank in OTR was a completely different character than Frank in DR, OTR Frank is super goofy and wacky and constantly spouting off one-liners and cracking wise while OG Frank was mostly serious and deadpan and the humor surrounding him came from the contrast of that with the ridiculousness of the gameplay.

I thought they did a fair enough job "justifying" that; Frank in OTR is blatantly high on his own hype and his arc, such as it is, over the course of the game involves him coming back down to relative normalcy.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I had no idea, but there was a free prequel comic for DR3.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Well, yeah but I'd have been equally fine with a universe reboot which still had the same gameplay design and philosophy of the first three games. Dead Rising 4 makes me wonder just why the outbreak is happening in the first place as the cure was found in Dead Rising 3, meaning this needs to be some kind of weird new cause for a zombie outbreak.

They may have hinted at that in Endgame, weirdly. The last act of that movie has to do with a mutated form of the parasite. A guy gets infected and Zombrex simply fails to work on him.

I'm only thinking the movies might matter because of how developers have been saying that Frank's weird agelessness in DR4 isn't an accident, and that plays into Endgame somewhat.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 3, 2016

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The original game required you to start extra profiles if you wanted to, say, have more than one person play it on the same console.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It's possible to do a level-1 perfect run on the first game, but I don't think it's likely unless you carry a lot of skateboards and Quickstep. Frank's speed boosts count for a lot, especially when you need to do a headlong charge across the park.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I always liked the end credits theme, "Justified." Somehow it's stayed in my music stash through multiple moves and new computers.

I'm not crazy about how DR2 turns into the Celldweller Experience.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

http://gamerant.com/dead-rising-4-time-limit/

DR4 is full open-world with no time limits at all. Weird.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I think it is literally impossible to get the achievement in 30 minutes.

You can start in on the most efficient path towards it immediately upon starting the game, but even with every possible advantage thereof it takes something like four hours in real time.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The ambush zombie who's sometimes waiting in one of the bathroom stalls in OTR is an rear end in a top hat and he makes me jump out of my chair every single time.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The key to DR2 is plotting it out in such a way that you can show up to the most problematic psychopath fights with at least two survivors with machine guns.

I always thought it was obnoxious that by the time you can get the Brainwashing Tips book in DR, there are maybe a half-dozen survivors left to rescue.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It wouldn't surprise me. There are a lot of little things in OTR that are there as deliberate nerfs or breaks to the most common DR2 strategies.

The ones I remember offhand are that there aren't sledgehammers in the safe room anymore, so you can't go in and come out with two fresh defilers every time, and it's a lot harder to find an LMG.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Ryuga Death posted:

Oh, this is some neat info. Any other interesting strategies for DR2/OTR and the differences between both? I never got that deep into DR2 or OTR where I'd know the best strategies, locations, weapons, etc. Like I knew survivor locations and some weapon drops appeared to be different, but not much more than that. Especially interested in hearing about the nerfs/breaks.

It's a lot of little things. The non-story missions' timeline gets reshuffled pretty dramatically, a bunch of the magazines got moved (one of the gambling magazines is now locked in the Uranus Zone security vault; the leadership magazine goes from the bingo hall to a newsstand in Royal Flush), and it's harder to stockpile some of the go-to weaponry. Also, as was said, the free Zombrex got moved.

The survivors are also considerably less capable, although you won't really notice unless you're in the habit of running through some really dangerous areas, and they never quite get down to the original game's level. That said, I did see a bunch of survivors in OTR who would get hung up on ground clutter and run in place.

Ryuga Death posted:

I really should try this survivor firing squad strategy after I'm done with OTR. I've never ever tried this before. What does the leadership magazine do exactly in DR2/OTR? According to the wiki, it turns disabled survivors into people who can walk but is that it? The in game description is pretty vague.

Basically, survivors in DR2/OTR have a sort of aggression level, with Dean at the top and somebody like Dani at the bottom. If they're really aggressive, they attack zombies on sight with whatever they have and keep fighting until the zombie drops; if they aren't, they'll sob or call for help instead of defending themselves. I have no idea if this is actually how they're coded, but basically DR2 survivors are on a spectrum like this.

With the Leadership magazine, you crank their aggression level up a notch, which turns a group of combat-capable survivors into a military fire team, especially if you give them shotguns or assault rifles. You can actually see the change in some of their idle animations; a reasonably confident survivor stands around with his/her hands on hips, while a traumatized one will stand there and wring their hands.

The Leadership magazine also means wounded or disabled survivors who ordinarily aren't very fast (Dean, Willa, Esther, etc.) will follow you at a standard running speed and won't have to stop to catch their breath, with the exceptions of Tammy and Rebecca during the "Lean on Me" story mission.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Ryuga Death posted:

The aggression level thing does help explain some of the unique survivor experiences I've had to deal with so far. Did the brainwashing magazine and survivor AI in DR1 work the same way? Since you seem to know a good amount, what's the best way to get a lot of money in both DR2s? Just find the gambling magazines and play the big slot machines over and over?

The survivor AI in DR didn't work, period, and the Brainwashing Tips magazine shows up so late in the game that it's difficult to know what it does at all. I remember the dash across Paradise Plaza with the theater survivors was always a challenge whether you had the magazine or not.

In either DR2, the single biggest payout in the game is probably to win the poker match on Day Two in the Atlantica, which I think they must have patched at some point. It's a lot easier with the three gambling magazines, and I had a lot less trouble with it playing DR2 a few weeks ago than I remember having back near the game's launch. Also, if you rescue Lenny on Day One after the fight with Ted and Snowflake, he'll show up in the safe room's kitchen and tell you the code to get $250,000 out of the bank vault in the Yucatan.

Some people swear by the slot machines, but I tend to find you get more than enough money if you carry around Hackers (computer case + flashlight) and zap every cash machine you pass by for $10,000. There are also a lot of extra payouts in OTR from rescuing survivors, probably because of the new version of the twins' story mission.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Rirse posted:

I was planning on ignoring the gamblers in DR2, but sounds like they are way less annoying now.

They are. I took a lot of notes on the poker game back when DR2 was new, because I got unduly obsessed with pulling off a "perfect run," and the original version of the poker game was probably the single biggest blockade to that. If everything went absolutely right you could still count on spending a good three or four game hours on it. The poker players being active means that just one or two other simultaneous survivor missions can lock you out of a few important things that are going on at the same time, not least of which is the initial window in which to meet the "Tape It or Die" crew, because of the eight-survivor hard cap.

Recently, however, the players still pursue their individual strategies, but they're a lot more reckless, which tends to end the game faster. Jessica's plan is to bet the farm on the slightest provocation, because she's apparently based on Jennifer Tilly, whose entire poker strategy is "wear a low-cut dress." She's counting on you being distracted. Conversely, Nevada wants to get out ahead of everyone else, then buy each hand with extravagant bets that he can nonetheless afford, so he's a non-entity unless he's in the lead. Jacob's the one you have to watch out for, as he plays the most conservatively and wants to draw the game out for as long as possible. Still, with all three gambling magazines, you're pretty much guaranteed to draw two high face cards, and you can generally tell when the poker players think they have something, as they'll actually start to raise the stakes.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

My single biggest criticism of DR2 is its heavy reliance on 2000s-era "random" humor, yeah. Half the survivors and most of the psychopaths are just stupid.

There are a few eccentric survivors in DR2 that I don't mind, like Kirsten the showgirl (she shows up early enough in the game that it's believable that she got super drunk the night before and has only now gotten up) or even Andy the suicidal guy, but after replaying it recently, it's hard not to want to throw a lot of them to the zombies yourself. Bill's the one everyone complains about (pay me $35,000 or I'm staying right here), but the one that really gets me is Woodrow, the bank president who's emptying out the cash machines.

Funny story: at least in OTR, I'm pretty sure Woodrow is the only survivor that you're actually rewarded for killing. He gives you something like fifty grand if you rescue him, plus whatever you get from following him around, since he constantly drops $100 bills as he runs. If you kill him yourself and open his money case, it has $250,000 in it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Ryuga Death posted:

It's also weird just how jokey and talkative Frank West is in OTR compared to DR1. Frank is silent for a lot of cut scenes (mostly for the psycho scenes) and doesn't really quip that much. In OTR, he comments on a lot of things even when just walking around or running into survivors. Not that I mind, but it's just funny.

Yeah, Frank in OTR does a lot of winking into the camera, because Capcom got it into its head that Frank himself was the major draw of Dead Rising. It's also why he's in so many crossover games.

In-game, it's sort of vaguely justified by Frank having gone seriously Hollywood in the five years between games, and he has sort of an arc in OTR about it. He's significantly less of a douche by the end of the game than he is at the start.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngw33ALUT7I

If anyone's interested, this is one of the earliest trailers for the original Dead Rising, which was made with a relatively early beta version of the game. It was a bit hard to find.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

https://news.xbox.com/2016/10/19/dead-rising-4-deluxe-edition-pre-order/

The Deluxe Edition of DR4 includes story DLC, "Frank Rising," and a mini-golf game.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Is Frank Rising supposed to be a light remake of DR1 or something? "Freshly Infected" Frank would be in Dr1, wouldn't it?

One of the big touted features of DR4 is a new type of zombie, which was also a plot point in Endgame.

Frank might be infected with a new strain of the parasite that doesn't respond to Zombrex.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Judge Tesla posted:

Standard practice at Capcom, pretty much every character in Resident Evil has had 3 or more different voice actors over the years.

I think it's mostly down to how Capcom has the most recurring characters in franchises of any company in the industry.

There is something weird going on with how they hire talent, though. The last Resident Evil game has all the telltale signs of having been a non-union gig, like how everyone in it is using somewhat vague pseudonyms. I suspect they may simply be trying to keep costs down however they can.

CharlestonJew posted:

a 33 minute long tutorial, didn't even get to see Willamette proper. This does not bode well.

It's weird how the lengthy tutorial mission turned into a franchise constant. There's a lot more of DR3 in this than I would've expected.

I like Vick, though. I hope she lives.

(Also, weird continuity there with DR2: Frank's mentoring another female Asian reporter.)

Edit: Wow, I was not expecting to ever see Brad Park again.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 11, 2016

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Rirse posted:

Guess the backstory from Off the Record about Rebecca being a former co-worker is canon.

It's shown in the Road to Fortune comic, and Frank mentions it at the start of Case West.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I did like the "My therapist says it's an ongoing process!" line.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Is there a DR4 thread already?

This might as well be the DR4 thread until such a time as DR4 isn't a 'bone/Windows 10 exclusive anymore. They're really punching themselves in the dick with this.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I'm not sure there's a "generic zombie game #7156" they could be playing right now instead.

I doubt DR4 will flop outright, but it's coming out at the tail end of a pretty brutal fourth quarter. It'll come down to how good it is, and right now, it looks an awful lot like DR3.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Ouch, cheap shot at Annie Reid.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It's really a question of dueling designs. You can't have the game go both ways and give them both the space they deserve. If you start from a sandbox and add time trials later, you basically have to design the game twice; if you start from time trials and then remove the time, you've probably also removed most of the challenge and momentum your game had.

The idea I had a while back was a "Real Time Mode" for a DR/DR2-style game, where every minute that passes in-game is a real-world minute, and you have the ability to go take a nap in the safe room to speed things up, the way you can in Fallout 3. Everything is just about the same, but if you wanted, you'd have seventy-two actual hours to dick around before the timer expired.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Alteisen posted:

I'm a little confused as to why a seemingly fresh dev is working on DR4, I can only assume Capcom has little faith in the franchise anymore.

A) He's not a "fresh dev." He's been a producer since 1998.

B) "Producer" in the video game industry means "office manager." You coordinate teams, keep things moving, form a line of useful communication between workers and management, and make sure everyone's on the same page. He's someone you'd want to have talking about the game to the press, because he'd know everything about it due to being in a central position, but he's not primarily responsible for creative decisions. He was probably in the room when they were made and he'd probably have something to say about how realistic a given idea actually is, but he's not the director, writer, or lead programmer.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

tap my mountain posted:

The bearded moron is the director

I'm still talking about Nickolls, then. He's not "fresh" by any measure. He's coming up on 20 years as a developer, and dudes go back and forth from director to producer all the time.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

that's not even a meme or walking dead's fault it's the exact underlying message of the past fifty years of zombie fiction, which makes this guy acting like it's an original concept even more insane

Yeah, I can't think of any decent zombie fiction where other humans weren't at least as dangerous to the protagonists. That goes all the way back to the original Night of the Living Dead.

You might maybe make an argument for Zombieland.

Alteisen posted:

I mean more in the sense that he doesn't seem to have experience with the genre than DR4 is, for the most part it seems the games he worked on had no narrative to them.

He's not the narrative designer. That's a separate position.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

a cock shaped fruit posted:

My review is embargoed for another 10 hours, but I can say without breaking anything that I am very loving interested in seeing the general reaction people will have to this game.

Yeah, mine too.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

GenericMartini posted:

hey maybe frank will appear in the new MVC, even if this new game is hot garbo.

The short version: it isn't a complete disaster, but it also isn't the kind of experience that you'd come to this franchise to get, especially since I've been playing the recent DR remasters. There are things I like about DR4, quite a few things I don't, and some things that don't need to be here at all.

It might be a fun rental. I need to get some MP matches in, though.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

GenericMartini posted:

I totally forgot that Inafune really had a hard on for Western Devs.

He's not exactly wrong to be so. He's right in that the Japanese development community's got some challenges recently, but he'd do well to get somebody else to go talent-hunting for him. It seems like Blue Castle was his only real, unqualified success.

GenericMartini posted:

It seems weird to try with the fourth game to get more people into it. Playing not to your base seems like a bad idea, especially if the game is bad.

Video game marketing 101: your "base" for a franchise is good for marketing, word of mouth, and building a community.

Your profit comes from the vast, silent majority, or what enthusiasts refer to as the "casual" market. Most of the decisions made in DR4 are for the casual market, and they're hoping to satisfy the enthusiast crowd with the story mode and continuity porn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

GenericMartini posted:

I mean that's kinda funny seeing as didn't DR2 sell better than DR3 and OTR? two games that tried to gain that casual market with more emphasis on freedom and less emphasis on the time limit (in OTR's case having a full mode for people to dick around in without the constraints of the time limit)

DR2 sold 2.2 million; DR3 sold 1.9 million when you combine the Xbox One and Steam versions. DR3 was also an Xbox One launch title, and I believe was the best-selling one of the lot, while DR2 was cross-platform at launch and received a fairly robust marketing push. It's a bit of an apples-and-oranges situation overall, due to external circumstances.

It's a tricky situation. On the one hand, triple-A video game production is so expensive and time-consuming at this point that I can't begrudge anyone for wanting to minimize their personal risk; there have been a lot of games, studios, and developers that have failed, closed, or been fired because they were only modest successes, which meant they still lost money.

On the other, there's never going to be no risk, and I can't think of a game offhand that was improved by being designed by committee, or for having additional executive-decreed, focus-tested features wedged into it like an elephant into an elevator car.

• Locked thread