Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
no co-op for DR1 :{

I realize the original game never had it, but I want to cut through the whole series with my buddies damnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

Still got Gone Guru in my music playlist.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Wanderer posted:

It's possible to do a level-1 perfect run on the first game, but I don't think it's likely unless you carry a lot of skateboards and Quickstep. Frank's speed boosts count for a lot, especially when you need to do a headlong charge across the park.

the inventory upgrades also count for a lot. as much as speed upgrades are noticeable, iirc speedrunners did a breakdown when trying to figure out what made the biggest difference and basically there's loving Quickstep breakpoints in DR1, which is hilarious to me

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Mountain Lightning posted:

You don't have to overly abuse quickstep, though the skateboard helps getting to Brad the first time. Pretty much the only really hard spots are the first time against the convicts (Don't bring survivors to the fight) and the bit in Day 2 where you have to rescue eight people as well as deal with Cliff and Kent and the first sighting of the cultists. And the big issue with the day 2 poo poo is the clock and the dumbass survivors, not Frank being low level or low speed. If you fail to deal with that part it probably has more to do with leaving survivors behind by accident or them dying to the cultists, not Frank being a weenie who runs at a snail's pace. Sure, the speed helps out a lot, but really that sort of run comes down to memorization and knowing the best way to deal with psycho fights.

IIRC against the convicts if you load up on enough quickstep you can go south from the first carlito fight and grab a rifle from...somewhere, i forget precisely, i think there's a gun store near the area where you fight the clown? anyway i know you can get a rifle early on and get back to the usual Savior route quickly with enough Quickstep, and then when the convicts show up you can tell the survivors to wait in a corner and bait the convicts into a tree, then pop them fast with the rifle. a head shot will take one out.

i honestly don't remember what i did with the loving cultists, i remember hating those guys

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

DR2 was VERY lenient about its time stuff and was polite enough to announce almost all the things you could do, DR1 was the one where you literally could not miss a step and required a guide if you wanted to 100% a run because half of the psychos and survivors were both missable and unannounced, and objectives required attention almost from the instant they became available.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the good part about it being on PC is that it'll be trivial to set the kill counter to what you need it to be to instantly unlock genocider using cheat engine, or possibly you can get the game to believe you've done it by just using SAM

i mean yeah okay it was a cool challenge when the game came out, but since it does boil down to just driving in a circle for hours i don't think there's any hxc gamer honor to be satisfied by cheating it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Viewtiful Jew posted:

While I'm glad they kept a lot of the jank intact, I'm surprised they didn't fix the geometry of the ledge or just outright change it into a ramp or something. Like the timer, the general survivor AI, the combat, those were all generally game design decisions but how survivors just broke down whenever a pack of them reach that ledge just seemed broken.

Like you can't even use the excuse that the average person would of course act irrational if there were zombies right behind them and they had to climb something because zombies don't even show up on the roof during the story!
yeah that was the only thing that i really felt the pain of when i was playing the game on 360

survivor AI was stupid, but i found ways to work with it. give them way points instead of telling them to follow you, give them one of a small handful of weapons to use for self defense (pistols being the best and also most plentiful), don't be afraid to clear a path for them through thick areas (just burn a queen). but there's just no way to handle that stupid ledge, you're gambling every time they try to use it and there's nothing you can do to make it better. i would have just removed the drat thing altogether if i was in charge, like you said that map is 100% just a quiet get organized spot between the mall and the safehouse so the ledge is just a colossal pain in the dick.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Rirse posted:

After a few "I will try all in and hope they don't fall for my bluff on my lovely hand" failures, I beat the poker players after about a hour of failed tries and me figuring I should go kill the postman so I don't have him waiting for me when I take the shortcut. The last match was hilarious since Neveda and Jakob both tried to do a high bid and immediately got knocked out. Which is good since Jessica likes to bid on bad hands, so didn't last very long. And I have plenty of time to do the Tape It Or Die quest while dealing with RonaldRichard's quest and taking out McCree.

i remember the 2 times i played through DR2 i literally just immediately did all in on every hand and they folded themselves to death because they eventually weren't able to pay the ante

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

cheat engine's a thing, so real mega buster at least is trivially doable by figuring out where the zombies killed number is (search for your zombies killed, kill a zombie, search again until you have only one option for it), setting it to 600k, and then going and getting your poo poo killed.

the other 2 i'm less sure about

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah that's a good idea. freeze your health and then stand some place where you can't get your poo poo clawed off (mostly to make sure nothing weird is going on in game so things don't crash), go to bed/work, turn off the cheat and go get your poo poo killed

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

part of it is just the design of zombies, even if you're not talking about the sneering contempt for consumerism the way the original romero zombies were, the vast majority of zombie designs have zombies being:

1) stupid
2) slow
3) clumsy

humans overcame worse threats than that when we were hunter gatherers conquering the savannah. if you wanted to focus on the zombie threat in the walking dude the story would go a little like this:

so everything died and society fell over. me and a couple of my buddies managed to hole up in a big house/warehouse/whatever. the deadheads are pretty scary. write more tomorrow.

so steve found a couple of brooms, some steak knives, and some duct tape when dicking around. i yanked the broomheads off and taped the knives to the end. doesn't look like much but it gives me a good 2 feet of reach advantage over a deadhead, so that's pretty good.

we got chased out of the safehouse today. horde of deadheads showed up, but they're not exactly stealthy so we just grabbed our backpacks and jogged away. i brought my knife-spear. gonna look for a place with a decent fence. i've got an idea.

so we found a place with a decent chain-link fence today, and moved in. fence is about 6 feet tall, which is all the more we need, honestly. gonna organize shifts of us patrolling the fence and stabbing any deadheads that come too close. as long as we stay on top of it there shouldn't ever be more than a couple on the fence at once, which it should be able to handle.

so this is basically working. there was a little hitch in that we need to organize corpse-removal from the fence line and kick them a good 5-6 feet back to keep the bodies from piling up, and night can sometimes get weird with how dark the new moon is now, but all in all it's working. the deadheads shamble up to our fence, get all caught up and crap, and then it's easy to just stab them through the chain link. steve's working on whittling down a bunch of wooden poles that we can harden in a campfire as some more renewable spears. they're ugly as poo poo but whatever, they bust up a deadhead.

fewer deadheads today. at first i was a little surprised, but i guess it makes sense the more i think about it. the fence line stinks to high hell with the bodies that we haven't properly burned yet, but the sheer numbers say that the 4 of us have killed like 100 deadheads at this point. we can't be the only people out there who have figured out that spears work, so that's how many fours killing how many hundreds at this point? sure, there were thousands of people living in this town before it all went to hell, but the numbers are what they are. even if we all died right now, the net effect is still way fewer zombies shambling around.

haven't seen any zombies for two days. we've been scavenging a little bit to keep our bellies full, but with how much safer it is now we're going out tomorrow to cast our net a bit wider - maybe run into other hold-outs and see if folks have figured out society again.

found a couple other survivor enclaves deeper into the city while we were out looking for gas. we were basically right, it seems. lots of people died before they knew what was going on, but the ones that survived for a few days figured out pretty quick that all you needed was some kind of net and a spear to kill approximately infinity zombies. there's already what amounts to a wild west border town society operating out of a hotel off the interstate, and they let us in to look around at their operation today. they've got some basic farms and other simple stuff up, and they're 'hiring' for extra hands to make sure everyone stays fed. we told 'em we'd think about it since i'm not sure how much i trust anyone right now, but assuming they're as legit as they seem, we'll probably go down and get jobs helping out in return for warmer beds and access to their doctor. i don't even want to think about what would happen right now if someone broke their leg.

fade to black, ~fin~

you're not exactly becoming an HBO miniseries with that arc.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 30, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

pistols in hand and waypoints on the ground: the One True Way to make moving survivors in DR1 not a nightmare

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

survivors that are planted with a waypoint will defend themselves very competently from zombies with a handgun, unless they're flagged as cowards.

if they're set to follow you they're useless as always but planting them on a waypoint means that they'll fire with abandon at any oncoming deadheads, it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Gone Guru is most notable for the shared PTSD it invokes, the song itself is good fun but not good musically

• Locked thread